Saniya Chong and Kiah Stokes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Saniya Chong and Kiah Stokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
what has happened to Sanyia Chong's shot since the Stanford game ?
she was such a great shooter in HS, and her shot in the Stanford game was so good. Now most of her jump shots are not even close to going in. She is still playing hard with the facets of her game though.

How does Kiah Stokes only play 17 min in this game when the opponent is so small ?
I was at the game last night and while she played better I don't think MoJett is quite back on her game yet.

Reaction Score
Like others here, I have never been a fan of Saniya's off-the-shoulder shooting mechanics, and agree that her scoring potential is very much in question. At the same time, I have been impressed, and even surprised, by her improved court presence this season, along with her improved ability to penetrate and dish off high quality assists. The fact remains, however, that as good as this team is, it, like most teams, could use a player that can come off the bench and be a true game-changer by quickly draining a high percentage of perimeter shots and thereby inject some needed adrenaline. The team does not have such a player right now, which creates a golden opportunity for a currently injured Freshman who, if she can fill that role as advertised, will find a place to fit in despite the fierce competition for pt.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I got a laugh seeing a DePaul player drive into the paint, see Kiah, then do an immediate U-turn. Kiah is an imposing presence under the basket.

1150x647
It's "The Griner Effect."

Reaction Score
ET - it may be a little different when you worked yourself into a starting role after a lot of off season work. And then Boom- a freshman walks in and snatches it immediately. There may be a bit of a mental adjustment possibly.
It seems that people here are always talking about Saniya's adjustments. Last year it was adjusting to playing college ball and now it's adjusting to coming off the bench after feeling she was going to be a starter. By the time she finishes her adjustments, she may be graduated! I'm inclined to think she is someone who'll get minutes and may have her moments but won't ever be the player that some of us hoped she would be after a great high school career. And that's okay because we have other players that have proven themselves to be exceptional and worthy of starter minutes. She's been an asset to Geno and has been a spark from time to time so it's all good.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
It was great meeting with all the Boneyarders last nite. Great nite to be a UConn fan. This team is imposing, and has a license to destroy its opposition. What a show they put on last nite. DePaul who Ive watched on TV is a very well coached team with terrific shooters and scorers. Last nite UConn took that all away. Posters keep bringing up the Stanford game. It was a fluke. IMO UConn was not prepared to start the season like theyre prepared now. I could be due to a couple of things. One Geno not there as he was coaching the USA team leaving his asst coaches to do the recruiting and two a change in the starting lineup. This is a a very well balanced team that can score from every position and can shut you down on defense at every position and has the team quickness that will make your head spin. I don't know what it looked like on tv but sitting there watching them move the ball so fast and get out on the break with lighting speed is what dismantled a very good DePaul team. UConn is at a different level then any other team in WCBB. Argue all you want but SC, TX TAM Oregon St Duke etc will not be able to play with UConn. When I say not play with them UConn will win every one of those games by double digits and it could get ugly fast and I don't see that changing next season either be the team chemistry is back.

One of the biggest differences Ive seen over the past 2 games (ND and DePaul) is that defenses are focused on KML and Stewie and Tuck and Nurse are picking it up. If there is one weakness in UConn its we need more scoring from Saniya. I saw her in HS and she was unbelievable. Last nite she was open and didn't shoot. She needs to have a mind set of shooting and scoring. I don't know if Geno needs to set up some plays for her to score but she needs to score. She can be electrifying when shes on and we need to get her on. Kiah and MoJeff need to be more consistent scorers. We need an occasional double digit nite in the score book from them. Other then that we aren't making to many mistakes which makes it very hard to keep up with us.

Gabby Williams finds ways to score. She is athletic and knows where to be and what to do. She appears fearless at times taking it to the hoop playing defense and rebounding. She needs to develop an outside shot.

This team will not lose a game the rest of this season and perhaps another season or two. UConn has once again distanced itself from the rest of WCBB. I know we have SC Duke and Baylor fans who post here. Guys to beat UConn is a dream right now. Your teams are very good but not UConn good. UConn is once again a whole different level. When I look at some of the top recruits and see them choosing another school other then UConn I have to wonder. If I were a top recruit I would want to win a NC. That aint gonna happen unless you play at UConn.

Geno is special and imo one of the greatest coaches to ever coach. He has put himself at a level that no other coach has done. He is expected to win every game and when he doesn't he make headlines. His team man handles their opponents in almost every game. The expectations are unreal but true. The tuftest thing is he continues to make his teams better then they were and continues to do it the right way and most importantly builds his players into highly respected role models who kids can look up to.

So Sunday we meet UCLA at Mohegan Sun. Boneyards will meet at half time where I don't know LOL as I don't know my way around. Hope to see you all there.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Most teams would love to have a player who can come off the bench for a team with many scorers and be a now experienced PG that can dish it at a 2.6 assist\TO ratio, which is by far the best on a team that has no one else above the 2.0 mark. Saniya's not taken enough shots in her pinch hitter role to get into much of a rhythm lately, but again, with that A\TO ratio, there's a lot to be happy with.

Reaction Score
It was great meeting with all the Boneyarders last nite. Great nite to be a UConn fan. This team is imposing, and has a license to destroy its opposition. What a show they put on last nite. DePaul who Ive watched on TV is a very well coached team with terrific shooters and scorers. Last nite UConn took that all away. Posters keep bringing up the Stanford game. It was a fluke. IMO UConn was not prepared to start the season like theyre prepared now. I could be due to a couple of things. One Geno not there as he was coaching the USA team leaving his asst coaches to do the recruiting and two a change in the starting lineup. This is a a very well balanced team that can score from every position and can shut you down on defense at every position and has the team quickness that will make your head spin. I don't know what it looked like on tv but sitting there watching them move the ball so fast and get out on the break with lighting speed is what dismantled a very good DePaul team. UConn is at a different level then any other team in WCBB. Argue all you want but SC, TX TAM Oregon St Duke etc will not be able to play with UConn. When I say not play with them UConn will win every one of those games by double digits and it could get ugly fast and I don't see that changing next season either be the team chemistry is back.

One of the biggest differences Ive seen over the past 2 games (ND and DePaul) is that defenses are focused on KML and Stewie and Tuck and Nurse are picking it up. If there is one weakness in UConn its we need more scoring from Saniya. I saw her in HS and she was unbelievable. Last nite she was open and didn't shoot. She needs to have a mind set of shooting and scoring. I don't know if Geno needs to set up some plays for her to score but she needs to score. She can be electrifying when shes on and we need to get her on. Kiah and MoJeff need to be more consistent scorers. We need an occasional double digit nite in the score book from them. Other then that we aren't making to many mistakes which makes it very hard to keep up with us.

Gabby Williams finds ways to score. She is athletic and knows where to be and what to do. She appears fearless at times taking it to the hoop playing defense and rebounding. She needs to develop an outside shot.

This team will not lose a game the rest of this season and perhaps another season or two. UConn has once again distanced itself from the rest of WCBB. I know we have SC Duke and Baylor fans who post here. Guys to beat UConn is a dream right now. Your teams are very good but not UConn good. UConn is once again a whole different level. When I look at some of the top recruits and see them choosing another school other then UConn I have to wonder. If I were a top recruit I would want to win a NC. That aint gonna happen unless you play at UConn.

Geno is special and imo one of the greatest coaches to ever coach. He has put himself at a level that no other coach has done. He is expected to win every game and when he doesn't he make headlines. His team man handles their opponents in almost every game. The expectations are unreal but true. The tuftest thing is he continues to make his teams better then they were and continues to do it the right way and most importantly builds his players into highly respected role models who kids can look up to.

So Sunday we meet UCLA at Mohegan Sun. Boneyards will meet at half time where I don't know LOL as I don't know my way around. Hope to see you all there.
Tony, the Pessimist, has spoken again. I am a little surprised about the lack of offense from Moriah because she seemed to be more offensive minded last year. I don't know why she would have regressed. I'm hopeful that she'll regain that assertiveness or confidence or both soon. I think the only thing I would like to see with this team is that they get more consistent cohesiveness on the defensive side of the ball. I'm inclined to think it'll continue to improve as the season moves on because of familiarization of roles. To me, that's the catalyst of UConn's greatness and the main reason they've collected 9 NCAA championships. Great work, Geno!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Tony, the Pessimist, has spoken again. I am a little surprised about the lack of offense from Moriah because she seemed to be more offensive minded last year. I don't know why she would have regressed. I'm hopeful that she'll regain that assertiveness or confidence or both soon. I think the only thing I would like to see with this team is that they get more consistent cohesiveness on the defensive side of the ball. I'm inclined to think it'll continue to improve as the season moves on because of familiarization of roles. To me, that's the catalyst of UConn's greatness and the main reason they've collected 9 NCAA championships. Great work, Geno!

I haven't seen Jefferson enough to know, but is she using the pull up jumper to get a shot? With her speed she should be able to penetrate and get a shot up quickly if she has a good mid-range shot.

Reaction Score
Have to agree. MoJett throws up a three and who knows where it's going? She tries a couple then reverts to her penetration moves which were just as bad earlier, but seem to be coming back the last couple of games.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
We started to see some of the Moriah we are used to seeing last night with her patented turn the jets and scoopshot up into the basket before anybody can catch her - I think I saw her do that twice, but we also saw some of the issues she appears to be having this season where she's getting too far under the basket before she lets go and of course the ball goes crazy no where - is it simply bad decision making or is it that her timing seems to be off and that teams defenses are now keying on her when she starts her move and they're sending two or three people to crowd her in the paint which throws her off and makes it difficult for her to pass the ball back out for the open players. She took some 3's earlier in the season but I haven't seen her open at the 3 at least not last night and in perhaps the last couple of games. I am sure that this will get sorted in due course, and I am thinking that we will see the Mojett jet move a little less often but with a lot more success

Reaction Score
Funny how we all see things differently. Thought both had solid games. SC ran the floor well, her spacing has improved and energy level is way up. Defense is a work in progress one on one but help defense is quite good. KS had a solid game also and wasn't an accident that UCONN pulled away when she entered the game. Scoring and shot selection wasn't needed by either. Just don't see a problem here when you have such prolific scoring from Nurse, Mosqueda-Lewis and Stewart.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
What Ive noticed about MoJeffs defense is taller guards are taking one and one and shooting over her. Her lack of height is what opposing guards are using to their advantage and it has been working.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Let's put the defensive debate in a little perspective. Last year we had Stef and Stewie guarding the paint. That allowed our guards to "cheat" a little on defense because the lane was covered. And we know the block totals from last year set a team record.

Forward to this year. With Morgan starting, the shot blocking intimidation is not the same. But when Geno inserts Kiah the entire dynamic changes. As we saw again last night, guards stop real quick when Kiah is awaiting them. It also frees Stewie up to get few more boards. Remember, when Kiah was recruited, the score card on here was a terrific rebounder and shot blocker but offense was limited. But I will take Kiah blocking shots, intimidating our opponents and grabbing every rebound she can. If she scores 6 to 8 a game its a plus. We still have 4 players on the floor with Kiah who can score on anybody.

Our defense will be fine. Its still a work in progress.

Reaction Score
ETT-- She has tried a pull-up and I've read Shea Ralph is working with her- but she bricks it as fo right now and has also struggled with runners in the lane.
----------------------------

**But last night I saw a bit more of her change-of-pace on two layups she got. Usually she eithers goes at one speed- either super fast or in slow-down mode. I thought I saw her change-the-pace on her dribble which got her open. Without a change of pace as she is driving- she is easier to guard.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I'm sure it didn't go unnoticed by the coaches that Stokes entered the game with UCONN ahead 26-24 and both teams headed for 100+ points. She left after a 14-2 run, with the game essentially over.
Just rewatched the deciding first half on ESPN. While Kiah was in the game in the first 20 minutes, UConn as you noted had a 14-2 advantage. Saniya also came in at the same time and was in for a 10-2 turnaraound and then returned later for a 9-3 Husky run, for a total of 19-5.

So Kiah for 14-2 with great rebounding and defense, and Saniya for 19-5 with nice passing and defense, especially with that full-court pick and layup. Hey, I'll take those kind of results for the team from both players -- with no complaints.

Reaction Score
I believe Kiah can be a devastating offensive player. I can see no reason she can't be great, save one.

Paraphrasing Yogi: you can't think and hit at the same time. Kiah has a 4.0. Clearly she is intelligent and a thinker. You can't think about shooting. It is a distraction. She has often looked distracted when shooting. Not so with rebounding or blocking shots. She needs to stop thinking about shooting and just 'be' on the offensive end.

Reaction Score
I believe Kiah can be a devastating offensive player. I can see no reason she can't be great, save one.

Paraphrasing Yogi: you can't think and hit at the same time. Kiah has a 4.0. Clearly she is intelligent and a thinker. You can't think about shooting. It is a distraction. She has often looked distracted when shooting. Not so with rebounding or blocking shots. She needs to stop thinking about shooting and just 'be' on the offensive end.

So she should think about not thinking?

Reaction Score
The team had to replace its offensive engine. Maybe it wasn't a whole makeover like Stanford, but replacing Stef and Bria was a bigger deal than most people thought. I think a lot of us thought the team would just pick up where it left off last season which was unrealistic given who they had to replace. I like the way the team is coming together. Coach Bruno is right: the championship will go through UConn.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Coupla thoughts, wonderful thread.
I think the biggest motivation and role model for offense for Kiah is Gabby
Think about it: Gabby is a junior sized Kiah with developing D and rebounding skills (at which Kiah is unique).
But on offense, Gabby is hungry to create and results are forthcoming…Kiah being an excellent student may catch on.

I've seen Mo attempt two pull-ups now; neither went in. But it's a work in progress and she will be rewarded in due course.
But I agree with (I think) Rady who mentioned that she is not her dominating self yet.

indeed, if you think about it, with Geno's emphasis on guard play (and I suppose guard scoring).
Since last year's NCAA, our guards haven't hit the side of a barn
And scoring has reverted to the forecourt.
It's likely to continue in the next few years
Especially so with next year's recruiting class.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
No, that would be overthinking things. As that famous victory slogan goes, you gotta just do it.

In the immortal words of "Crash" Craddock: "Don't think, meat: just pitch."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul