Samuel | The Boneyard

Samuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good game tonight. He missed a couple he should have had, but the kid put up 11 points off the bench and went 7-8 from the stripe.

A few people have blasted me for criticizing Calhoun this year. It's not that I don't like Calhoun - I do. But Samuel showed what he could do tonight even without hitting field goals. I wish Calhoun was able to contribute like that this year - I get the fact his shot is off due to the surgery he had this offseason. I just want to see him contribute in other ways, and unfortunately he has not done that.

Way to step up by Samuel though.

Reaction Score
Good game tonight. He missed a couple he should have had, but the kid put up 11 points off the bench and went 7-8 from the stripe.

A few people have blasted me for criticizing Calhoun this year. It's not that I don't like Calhoun - I do. But Samuel showed what he could do tonight even without hitting field goals. I wish Calhoun was able to contribute like that this year - I get the fact his shot is off due to the surgery he had this offseason. I just want to see him contribute in other ways, and unfortunately he has not done that.

Way to step up by Samuel though.

You lost me at good. He played 21 mins, had 0 turnovers. More than just points. Kid was amazing when called to action.

Reaction Score
that foul near the end of the half set the tone in my eyes, sending the message that we are tougher then you are.

Yup, old school right there. Rod Sellers must be proud.

TSam is a fearless leader and a play maker to boot. He ain't pretty but he is very effective. Onions!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kid was going to be a player since the jump. He's a NYC player and he has toughness and while he's not always super silky he's effective...in that regard he reminds me of Taliek.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
When he's a senior he's going to play 35 minutes a game and lead us to a title.

As is appropriate for a tough as nails PG from NYC at UConn.

He's a bigger, stronger version of Taliek Brown. Kid takes it fearlessly to the rim and he does it under control.

Reaction Score
He had the nerves going and then the dam broke. From here on out he's going to be a long term confident kid in our program. He just has a knack for getting to the rim and has no fear. If he gets an outside shot going he will really be something. Great job today especially at the FT line. His D is automatic.

Reaction Score
You lost me at good. He played 21 mins, had 0 turnovers. More than just points. Kid was amazing when called to action.

You can use whatever adjective want. It's pretty clear I was giving the guy props for his performance tonight.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
That was a classic Big East battle. The Samuel take-down foul was a statement. It made them settle for an absurd amount of jumpshots in the 2nd half. It said, "You're not tougher than us."

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
I love samuel's confidence. He never seems to doubt himself at all. This will of course lead to some bone headed plays but will lead to exponentially more good ones.

Reaction Score
I love his physicality. He gives us something on defense and in attacking the rim that Boat and Bazz just can't with their size. With him, Purvis, Cassell, Jackson, and Ali, we're bringing in a lot of big, physical guards at the 1/2 (much like Ollie himself!).

Reaction Score
kid can just flat out play. boat gets to the rim at will with his speed, TSam gets there with his quickness/size. not to write off this year at all but next year is going to be a lot of fun

Reaction Score
He is like having a linebacker at the 5- I love it- tough as nails.

Reaction Score
This kid went in there and showed no fear. i thought he was shooting too much but then i realized it was exactly what this team needed out there. His defense was very very impressive. I see a player like him step up big time as a frosh in a big spot and then i see what Brimah did against st. joes and it gets me very excited about the future of this program. seeing as we`re back in the sweet 16 it feels good to say to all the haters who tried to bury us as a program WE AINT GOING NOWHERE!

Reaction Score
I'll admit that I was quietly disappointed in Samuel early in the season. He didn't look like the next good UConn guard and thought we may have made a mistake recruiting him. He looked awkward, offensively challenged and lost when he did get PT. Samuel's development over the season has been amazing. Some of it was adjusting to Div. 1 basketball and learning the offense but we have to give the coaching staff a lot of credit for bringing this kid along. His toughness is impressive.

Reaction Score
It's going to be interesting to see how our guard rotation will play out over the next couple of seasons. On paper we will have some more talented offensive players, but as Ricky continues to coach him up, he will be such a defensive beast that it will be hard to keep him off the court.

It also amazes me how no one seems to be able to stay in front of him on defense. He's constantly blowing by people even with no real threat of an outside shot right now.

Our 2013 recruiting class has turned out to be a really, really good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom