Samson Johnson | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Samson Johnson

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Samson had a great game on Saturday and I’ve been waiting for his moment since he committed. I think this opportunity with Clingan out is going to help him tremendously. I forgot that he was ranked ahead of Hawkins on some sites.

But I need to know what happened to his supposed shooting ability. From his commitment profile there’s this amazing quote:

“Now,” Chavannes reported, “you see a guy that can just dominate a game on both ends of the floor, in a matter of seconds. He can shoot the 3 in transition, follow-up dunks, clean up the boards, block shots. He can literally just dominate a game.”

Reaction Score
“Now,” Chavannes reported, “you see a guy that can just dominate a game on both ends of the floor, in a matter of seconds. He can shoot the 3 in transition, follow-up dunks, clean up the boards, block shots. He can literally just dominate a game.”
Good point. He was the starting 4 last year until he got hurt…and then Hurley said in his PC he didn’t want Sampson shooting except the shot clock was about to expire on his 10 footer.

Reaction Score
He can shoot the 3 in transition
I remember the talk of his 3pt shooting. Maybe we give him the Adama treatment in his bigger role. Shoot it if the opportunity is there (wide open, comfortable lead). If he is making them, loosen the leash

Also congrats Samson on a fantastic performance that was critical to UConn winning the game. If 3pt shooting is in his arsenal, he's earned the right to let a few rip

Reaction Score
Good point. He was the starting 4 last year until he got hurt…and then Hurley said in his PC he didn’t want Sampson Samson shooting except the shot clock was about to expire on his 10 footer.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I remember the talk of his 3pt shooting. Maybe we give him the Adama treatment in his bigger role. Shoot it if the opportunity is there (wide open, comfortable lead). If he is making them, loosen the leash

Also congrats Samson on a fantastic performance that was critical to UConn winning the game. If 3pt shooting is in his arsenal, he's earned the right to let a few rip
He can shoot from out there. Last game was the first time he took a foul like jumper and that teardrop as well. He can score on more than dunks. I think Dan is working up to it. There were a few times St. Johns completely left him along and at some point he will get a green light in that situation.

I'm not worried about his offense, he has more offense than Donovan. Defensively he and the staff need to put him in a place to succeed. He had some success playing in from of Soriano and denying him the ball. I think that is probably how he needs to play big centers. His recovery on hedges can be better. Needs to not chase quite so far.

Reaction Score
He can shoot from out there. Last game was the first time he took a foul like jumper and that teardrop as well. He can score on more than dunks. I think Dan is working up to it. There were a few times St. Johns completely left him along and at some point he will get a green light in that situation.

I'm not worried about his offense, he has more offense than Donovan. Defensively he and the staff need to put him in a place to succeed. He had some success playing in from of Soriano and denying him the ball. I think that is probably how he needs to play big centers. His recovery on hedges can be better. Needs to not chase quite so far.

Samson has some experience playing against big centers considering he was playing every day against Clingan.

Reaction Score
I hope the coaches are getting him ready for a few pick and pop to mix in with his pick and roll. He seems to have a nice touch around the foul line.

Reaction Score

I’d like more rebounds and blocks. Seems to get knocked out of position too easily.

caw

Reaction Score
I posted in another thread, those two shots he made against SJU reminded me a lot of Oso. Obviously not the same stage of development with Samson missing a year and Oso being a senior but that would be a pretty ideal player to model his game after.

Reaction Score
Teardrops showed touch, so next are midrange shots. Sometime when our guards are closed out with the shot clock he will have room from 15 feet or so. It would be devastating to defenses if he can convert those, to say nothing of what it could open up for other players.

Reaction Score
Here he is as a junior in high school. The way he moves for guy his size is just great, really fluid. And he makes multiple treys in this video.

So right now he’s needed as a 5 but from that clip (where he doesn’t miss) he has shooting touch of an 4 and we’re just starting to see it now. Injuries have kept him from our eyeballs till now. He just looks like a future NBA player. I’m excited to see what develops.

Reaction Score
I posted in another thread, those two shots he made against SJU reminded me a lot of Oso. Obviously not the same stage of development with Samson missing a year and Oso being a senior but that would be a pretty ideal player to model his game after.
Agreed. There was a play where Solo drove to the hoop, drew Soriano over, dropped it off to Samson, and then he hit the floater. That looked a LOT like Kolek/Oso (obviously not saying that Solo is anywhere near Kolek and not saying that Samson is anywhere near Oso)

I thought SJ could shoot but it seems Hurley doesn't want him shooting too many jumpers and wants him exclusively dunking. If defenses can scheme him out of his dunks, being able to pop back and hit the floater would really open up his game

Reaction Score
Here he is as a junior in high school. The way he moves for guy his size is just great, really fluid. And he makes multiple treys in this video.

It's too late now and the current Staff has different skills but Samson's highpoint could have been modeled after DeAndre Daniels. He fits that bill more so than Hilton Armstrong.

Reaction Score
If I recall posters were writing his obituary after Seton Hall. Just saying, it's his 3rd year under Hurley, why doubt him now?

Reaction Score
If I recall posters were writing his obituary after Seton Hall. Just saying, it's his 3rd year under Hurley, why doubt him now?
Never saw that video Palatine posted before, holy heck! I was excited about SJ before, now, just waiting for Christmas to begin anew. How soon do Hurley et al find the secret package to unwrap?

Reaction Score

the 70's music really make this video pop.

Reaction Score
He is infinitely better than I though he would be. He stays out of foul trouble much more proficiently than I would expect from a big who hasn't played in years. I love where he is and what he can be.

Reaction Score
Best thing about Oso is his bbiq. And the fact he can play.

Reaction Score
Samson just needs to be told he can shoot the 3. He looks completely uncomfortable with ball out there, which generally means he feels like he’s not supposed to have it. It’s a hot potato at this point. I’d like to see him start looking comfortable out there. He’s not a bulky center, so having him threaten to shoot the 3 would really help open up our offense. He was a competent 3 point shooter in AAU, so it isn’t a stretch.

Reaction Score
Samson just needs to be told he can shoot the 3. He looks completely uncomfortable with ball out there, which generally means he feels like he’s not supposed to have it. It’s a hot potato at this point. I’d like to see him start looking comfortable out there. He’s not a bulky center, so having him threaten to shoot the 3 would really help open up our offense. He was a competent 3 point shooter in AAU, so it isn’t a stretch.
And the midrange 2 if he can make it. When open we have good 3 point shooters who are often well covered, so opportunity is there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom