Samson Johnson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Samson Johnson

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Was this his best game? No. But it wasn't bad - and I think that's been a key factor this year, even our player's worst games haven't been terrible just average. With a team like ours we just don't need break out performances every game. I'm seeing Johnson's upside I was so cautious about believing in pre-season and I think he'll continue to improve. Dude's got bounce.

Reaction Score
Let's just use the "he was under the weather" explanation and move on to Seton Hall. We're going to crush them. I can't wait.

Reaction Score
He is more than good enough right now to play backup center role. He will get better with consistent playing time. We should expect ups and downs in his first year with real playing time. He has already had a couple games we he provided a huge boost of bench. Clearly Clingan is better and that is why Clingan is the starter, but Clingan should probably only play about 25 minutes a night to maximize his energy and maintain his health. It is pretty normal for players to struggle in their first games against good teams on the road. We are lucky to have such a good option at backup center.

Reaction Score
verklempt saturday night live GIF

Samson will be a problem for teams next year..
this year

Reaction Score
He is doing everything he is being asked to do. On defense he is high hedging, bothering shots, grabbing an occasional rebound, and eating a few fouls. On offense, he is setting screens, providing a high escape value for the ball handlers and going to the basket when the opening is there. Most of all he is a competent replacement for Clingan who can stay fresh.

Reaction Score
Johnson is also very valuable as a defender on a stretch 5 that plays on perimeter and shoots 3s. His speed and length make him the best on team at chasing that type of player.

Reaction Score
He has exceeded my expectations so far. I was very skeptical that his raw athleticism would translate to complex offensive and defensive schemes in a 5-on-5 setting.

He's more than adequate as a backup, limiting the dropoff from the starters.

Reaction Score
Our centers had 23 points, 10 rebounds, and 2 blocks yesterday. Better than UNC and Kansas. I don't care who shows out, as long as 1 of them does

Reaction Score
He’s great in his role. Love that he brings such a different look to teams. The offense is still a work in progress, but he’s also a backup center, so hard to fault that too much.

There is definitely a significant drop off defensively, but that’s hard to be compared to one of the top 2 or 3 defensive big men in college basketball. Just not a fair comp.

Reaction Score
The guy is legit. It’s insane that he is this good. He’s not big on stats but damn, the kid impacts the game as a bench player. Wouldn’t trade him for almost anyone

Reaction Score
The guy is legit. It’s insane that he is this good.

Well, not yesterday, but hopefully a blip on the radar, anyone can have a bad game. Sanogo went through a mini slump last January. Hopefully Johnson returns to form vs Seton Hall.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought Samson was known as a shooter. He doesn’t even look for his shot. That’s been the biggest disappointment for me. Overall he has held his own.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I all know is that we will need a big body skilled center from the portal for next season to help Samson, or split time with him. This is a concern....

Reaction Score
I all know is that we will need a big body skilled center from the portal for next season to help Samson, or split time with him. This is a concern....
If he continues to struggle on defense and rebounding we’ll need a starter

Reaction Score
He fouls a lot. Doesn't rebound particularly well. Has trouble holding onto the basketball. Can only score on dunks. He has made progress since last year, but he has a ways to go. Teams have started to figure out the pick and role lob and have just sagged when he sets screens. Need to figure out how to develop him offensively.

Reaction Score
Samson has already exceeded my expectations, but having to play extra minutes has definitely exposed some of the stuff he’s still working on.

He has to figure out a way to score in the half court, or at least be more of a threat. Since Samson hasn’t really shown any post-up game or shooting touch yet, basically they just have to make sure he doesn’t get an easy cut to the hoop or an alley oop. Now that there’s some game film on him, opposing centers have clued in on that.

Reaction Score
Samson has limitations - he’s a pure vertical player with a high center of gravity. He gets taken out easily by bigs with weight below the waste. His strengths are in transition. He’s going to be highly limited in the half court where he has to play in clogged lanes. He really doesn’t have an offensive game outside of assisted dunks, and lacks spacial instincts on defense, constantly being out of position as it comes to guarding the rim. A competent backup yes, but I can’t see him as a starting 5 in the BE.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Can't believe he cannot seem to get rebounds - his positioning is horrible and he gets sucked out away from the basket
DH said he will play in the NBA? I desperately hope that this was just a one off performance for him but I can see the possibility of Soriano abusing him Saturday.
Would love to see that shooting skill that DH has spoken about several times. At least have a short mid range game.

Reaction Score
It was not his best game, but every player has a bad game or two at least during a season. Let's hope this is his. He just seemed a step slower tonight.
When did he develop hands of stone? He could not hold on to anything. Looked like it was his first game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom