S. Carolina vs. Miss. State game thread... | Page 6 | The Boneyard

S. Carolina vs. Miss. State game thread...

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
but took care of business on their end throughout the tourney.
I'm very displeased with this outcome, but I have to give credit to USCe. They had to make a major adjustment to what they did late in the year and subsequently met every challenge presented to them in the post-season.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It's hilarious that Doris Burke thinks you can buy "adult beverages" at an NCAA tournament. She said the SEC Commissioner should have been drinking one. The only way that would have been possible is if he snuck it in.

Also, Dave O'Brien suggested South Carolina has won a national championship in football. They haven't come even remotely close to that achievement. What's up with that?

Do some freakin' homework, instead of spreading disinformation.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
That was like watching mud wrestling. The NCAA should make a rule that (2) SEC teams not be allowed to play in the championship game...for the good of the game. :eek:

Not an attractive game at ALL !!! Not good for WBB !

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
It's hilarious that Doris Burke thinks you can buy "adult beverages" at an NCAA tournament. She said the SEC Commissioner should have been drinking one. The only way that would have been possible is if he snuck it in.

Also, Dave O'Brien suggested South Carolina has won a national championship in football. They haven't come even remotely close to that achievement. What's up with that?

Do some freakin' homework, instead of spreading disinformation.
Maybe O'Brien was drinking. ;)

UConnNick

Reaction Score
If not, Vic could be looking for another job. And definitely not at Uconn.

That's preposterous. They're not going to fire a guy who just beat UCONN and snapped a 111 winning streak. William was abysmal for three quarters. She obviously left her game on the court vs. UCONN and didn't bring it with her tonight.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Good question. I think it would have been a close game. Geno knew his team was susceptible to the kind of night they had on Friday, and if they were going to lose, I think he's much happier it happening in the semi-final rather than the championship game. Against MSU, I didn't exactly see him doing a heck of lot from the bench to help his girls get it across the finish line.

Our coaching staff had just as bad a game vs. MSU as the players did.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Only saw the last 90 seconds, and couldn't believe she wasn't out there, or MSU walking it up and calling plays, and taking 2-point shots down 14 with 60 seconds left. They just gave up, I guess.
You didn't miss much. The poorest display of offense in a championship game since the 2010 perversion.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Did you miss the part where Holly explained this? It seems that Vic was unhappy with her effort level, and asked her if he needed to bench her to get his message through. William said she would step it up, but didn't. Have a seat. Very Geno-like.

Also, when you're down consistently and by as much as 14 points, holding the ball and dribbling it back and forth from sideline to sideline at the midcourt line for 15-20 seconds isn't going to get it done.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
I agree with that too. And what bothers me more is, I never saw a semblance of a game plan tailored to beat MSU, nor any changes during the game. I was dumbfounded.
Does Geno have tailored game plans for teams, or is that if he can just get his players to play "UCONN ball" he expects them to win? What's puzzling is that in the UConn player interviews after the MSU loss, Lou, Saniya, and I think Napheesa all admitted they played poorly in the first half, but said they were pleased with their second half effort. Hard to figure. Certainly they came back in the second half, but it didn't seem like they were playing UConn ball. Maybe they were in the Twilight Zone. :confused:

Reaction Score
You didn't miss much. The poorest display of offense in a championship game since the 2010 perversion.
What about the UConn-ND game from a few years ago? Final was something like 66-55, very similar to this game.

Reaction Score
They only lose Coates and Davis, so with Wilson still on the team that is very possible. Objectively (to the extent that's possible for me), I would think UConn should open up the season number one in both polls. Politically, I wouldn't be surprised to see SC on top.

Kaela said she wanted to win championship(s) and she's not on the draft list so I think she returns.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
What about the UConn-ND game from a few years ago? Final was something like 66-55, very similar to this game.
You mean the 2015 championship? It was definitely not a Monet, but I don't remember it being that bad.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
I agree with that too. And what bothers me more is, I never saw a semblance of a game plan tailored to beat MSU, nor any changes during the game. I was dumbfounded.
Get rid of the Media, HBO etal pressure and Let these 2017-22017 UCONN gals start their own Streak !

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Quite the irony, because when Vic shook up his starting lineup in the late season to address lack of effort, William was the one regular starter he kept.

So much for his assertion that she's his "second daughter". Apparently she's only that when she's playing well.

Reaction Score
You mean the 2015 championship? It was definitely not a Monet, but I don't remember it being that bad.
I think it was something like 54-48 until the last 4-5 minutes of the game when KML took over.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Good question. I think it would have been a close game. Geno knew his team was susceptible to the kind of night they had on Friday, and if they were going to lose, I think he's much happier it happening in the semi-final rather than the championship game. Against MSU, I didn't exactly see him doing a heck of lot from the bench to help his girls get it across the finish line.
Yup, it kept his NC game undefeated streak alive

Reaction Score
Yup, it kept his NC game undefeated streak alive

Exactly. And of the endless records that his program holds, this one to me is the most impressive. 11-0 in NC games. Wow.

And to be frank, UConn not winning this year is better for the game, and better for his players too, who now get healthy dose or reality that they might not have were they to leave UConn without losing again. Geno cares about those things, too, especially when he knows his team is going to be flat out unbeatable next year.

Reaction Score
So much for his assertion that she's his "second daughter". Apparently she's only that when she's playing well.
It was a puzzling way to treat the young woman that got them to the title game.
The whole thing looks bad to me unless she really did or said something out of bounds. I think she earned way more respect than that, no matter how she was perceived in this game. And I'm really surprised Vic would treat her like that, both because of the the things he's said about her and everything we've seen about him personally. Until the tournament I didn't know a thing about him, so I'm going on what I've seen and heard on TV and just his overall demeanor during the games I've watched. But I have to say, he seemed a little different today. One of the most disturbing elements about what happened is that by benching her he took away all possibility of winning from the entire team, including his seniors. I would have thought they deserved better too.

shinobimono

Reaction Score
It was a puzzling way to treat the young woman that got them to the title game.
I have to agree with a previous poster who said it was tough love Geno-style. Of all people, it should be UConn fans who understand this, but now seem to be getting all sentimental about the Morgan William story line. When Geno gives tough-love treatment to his players, such as when he benched Morgan and Stewie in a game last year (?) that immediately preceded a game with South Carolina, fans were quick to rush to his defense and support this style of coaching.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I have to agree with a previous poster who said it was tough love Geno-style. Of all people, it should be UConn fans who understand this, but now seem to be getting all sentimental about the Morgan William story line. When Geno gives tough-love treatment to his players, such as when he benched Morgan and Stewie in a game last year (?) that immediately preceded a game with South Carolina, fans were quick to rush to his defense and support this style of coaching.
He wasn't losing in the National Championship game with his most electric player on the bench. Regardless, teaching in games is for during the regular season, not the post-season.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I pose the question because UConn finishes the season with easily the best record and comfortably beat South Carolina when they played six weeks ago.
There were complaints on here from some Uconn fans earlier in the season because Uconn was not ranked number one in the preseason, even though they were the defending champs. With that reasoning, SC should be ranked number one in next season's preseason rankings.

shinobimono

Reaction Score
He wasn't losing in the National Championship game with his most electric player on the bench. Regardless, teaching in games is for during the regular season, not the post-season.
I remember in the final, I think it was against Notre Dame in 2014, Bria Hartley was having a terrible game, so Geno sat her down for a very long stretch. Such play could cost the team the game if the player is allowed to continue. By your logic, if a player is playing poorly or just not giving the effort, you have to keep them in the game because they are a key player and it's a national championship game. I think the MSU coach's sitting of Morgan was like what Geno did when he sat Bria.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I remember in the final, I think it was against Notre Dame in 2014, Bria Hartley was having a terrible game, so Geno sat her down for a very long stretch. Such play could cost the team the game if the player is allowed to continue. By your logic, if a player is playing poorly or just not giving the effort, you have to keep them in the game because they are a key player and it's a national championship game. I think the MSU coach's sitting of Morgan was like what Geno did when he sat Bria.
Geno could afford to sit Bria... she wasnt as important as William!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom