S. Carolina vs. Miss. State game thread... | The Boneyard

S. Carolina vs. Miss. State game thread...

Reaction Score
Why? Don't view this thread. This is the BONEYARD! The meaningful season was over two days ago. Next relevant game thread will be in 7 months!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sometimes my attempt at levity misses the mark.
37527933.jpg

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Game strikes me as akin to the ND wins against us until we turned it around and spanked them when really counted. Ms St has had enough time to figure how to get back at those guys who took the SEC awards.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State's current run is compelling, but I will be rooting for Dawn:
1. She was Tonya's teammate at UVA.
2. Her director of Basketball Operations, Cynthia Jordan- Ms Jordan's father, a technician, and I used to work together at the Norfolk Air Traffic Control Tower; A really good guy who attended every one of her daughter's home games at Temple; Occasionally reporting to work after driving all night from Philadelphia.

Regardless of who wins, another program gets to ascend to the top. Mississippi State, win or lose, will always be famous/infamous in sports circles. It would not be far fetched to believe that ESPN is already working to schedule a rubber match with UConn next season; A season that UConn will dominate from start to finish.

IMO, this season is Coach Auriemma's third best coaching performance. Winning in 2003 was his best, getting to the Elite 8 in 2006 ranks 2nd. I have stated on this board that Coach Auriemma has never been to Final Four without a current first team All American, and has never won a national championship without a national player of the year on the roster whether current or future. Until Friday, I thought I would have to withdraw that opinion. And when UConn wins it all next year, that opinion will definitely not have to be withdrawn because...

Gabby Williams, in the loss, showed incredible heart and tenacity. This time next year, she should be a NPOY.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
WOW! That would be incredible. Which raises the question, "Has a player transferred to another program and become NPOY?"
I don't believe so on the women's side & of course the men can point to Larry Bird. The NPOY would have been also an All-American. I think this has come up before in a couple of different flavors. Has a transfer become an All-American at a school they transferred to. The other flavor was has a transfer ever been a starter on a National championship Team . Brooklyn Pope transferred from Rutgers and was a starter on Baylor's last 2012 Championship team.

Reaction Score
I'm rooting for South Carolina but Mississippi State has had a remarkable run that I wouldn't mind seeing them complete it with a title win.

Reaction Score
I don't believe so on the women's side & of course the men can point to Larry Bird. The NPOY would have been also an All-American. I think this has come up before in a couple of different flavors. Has a transfer become an All-American at a school they transferred to. The other flavor was has a transfer ever been a starter on a National championship Team . Brooklyn Pope transferred from Rutgers and was a starter on Baylor's last 2012 Championship team.

Love it. And Larry Bird sure did transfer from Indiana.

In response to your AA question, there may have been a WCBB player in the 80's/early 90s who transferred from La Tech to Old Dominion; May have even been originally from Connecticut; Name eludes me.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't have a dog in this hunt, and it has no bearing on UConn, so I plan to watch and enjoy the game without any of the anxiety I felt watching WBB over the past 6 months.

Reaction Score
For those who care, South Carolina is a 3.5 point favorite over Miss St.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom