S. Carolina vs. Miss. State game thread... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

S. Carolina vs. Miss. State game thread...

Reaction Score
SIAP

If I put a 40 lb vest on my daughter I am sure my neighbors will call child protective services- that story is very hard to believe

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I am very happy for Dawn Staley and all of Gamecock Nation. But this is a bit of a sad ending to Miss State's magical run. To see Morgan William sit the entire 4th quarter after all her heroics against Baylor and UConn was anticlimactic to say the least.

Were you watching the first three quarters? She sucked.

Reaction Score
There's an argument for South Carolina ranked #1 at the start of next season, and they won't be knocked out of #1 until they lose.

They only lose Coates and Davis, so with Wilson still on the team that is very possible. Objectively (to the extent that's possible for me), I would think UConn should open up the season number one in both polls. Politically, I wouldn't be surprised to see SC on top.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What did she do (or didn't do) to be benched? Clearly, I missed something.
She wasn't good, but benching her the entire quarter was the definition of overcoaching.

Vic was trying to send a message more than he was trying to win the game. If I'm a senior on MSU, I'm furious that my coach didn't give my team the best shot at a title.

Reaction Score
Will be SCar, otherwise it would look bad.
I pose the question because UConn finishes the season with easily the best record and comfortably beat South Carolina when they played six weeks ago.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Were you watching the first three quarters? She sucked.
I should have clarified that I'm not questioning the decision to sit her. She was ineffective. I'm just saying it's disappointing and sad to see her have such a poor performance after two truly MVP performances against perhaps the two best teams in the country, UConn and Baylor.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Congratulations to Dawn, Wilson and the entire team! Who would have thought a week ago that they would pull this off, especially without Coates.

This sure sets up an exiting matchup next February down in South Bend!
South Carolina is on the Irish schedule next season? I did not know that.

Reaction Score
She wasn't good, but benching her the entire quarter was the definition of overcoaching.

Vic was trying to send a message more than he was trying to win the game. If I'm a senior on MSU, I'm furious that my coach didn't give my team the best shot at a title.
Absolutely agree. That was bizarre -- unless she said or did something we don't know about.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Vic better have an answer as to why he left Morgan William on the bench the whole 4th quarter. He's going to get some heat.

Did you miss the part where Holly explained this? It seems that Vic was unhappy with her effort level, and asked her if he needed to bench her to get his message through. William said she would step it up, but didn't. Have a seat. Very Geno-like.

Reaction Score
I hope there's a good reason why Williams didn't play
Only saw the last 90 seconds, and couldn't believe she wasn't out there, or MSU walking it up and calling plays, and taking 2-point shots down 14 with 60 seconds left. They just gave up, I guess.

Reaction Score
If Mississippi State had not beaten UConn, would South Carolina be champions today?

Good question. I think it would have been a close game. Geno knew his team was susceptible to the kind of night they had on Friday, and if they were going to lose, I think he's much happier it happening in the semi-final rather than the championship game. Against MSU, I didn't exactly see him doing a heck of lot from the bench to help his girls get it across the finish line.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
If Mississippi State had not beaten UConn, would South Carolina be champions today?
A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum. Suffice it to say, USC dodged a (very high caliber) bullet, but took care of business on their end throughout the tourney.

Reaction Score
Good question. I think it would have been a close game. Geno knew his team was susceptible to the kind of night they had on Friday, and if they were going to lose, I think he's much happier it happening in the semi-final rather than the championship game. Against MSU, I didn't exactly see him doing a heck of lot from the bench to help his girls get it across the finish line.
I agree with that too. And what bothers me more is, I never saw a semblance of a game plan tailored to beat MSU, nor any changes during the game. I was dumbfounded.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Did you miss the part where Holly explained this? It seems that Vic was unhappy with her effort level, and asked her if he needed to bench her to get his message through. William said she would step it up, but didn't. Have a seat. Very Geno-like.
Quite the irony, because when Vic shook up his starting lineup in the late season to address lack of effort, William was the one regular starter he kept.

Reaction Score
I pose the question because UConn finishes the season with easily the best record and comfortably beat South Carolina when they played six weeks ago.

Can't picture it not being SC at #1. To give you a quick example of how final rankings work, last year's USA Today Coaches Poll had...
1-UConn
2-Oregon St
3-Syracuse
4-Baylor
5-South Carolina
6-Notre Dame
7-Texas
8-Washington

Does it matter? Absolutely not, but interesting how it comes about.

Plebe

Reaction Score
That was like watching mud wrestling. The NCAA should make a rule that (2) SEC teams not be allowed to play in the championship game...for the good of the game. :eek:
So ... stick 'em all on the same half of the bracket?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Can't picture it not being SC at #1. To give you a quick example of how final rankings work, last year's USA Today Coaches Poll had...
1-UConn
2-Oregon St
3-Syracuse
4-Baylor
5-South Carolina
6-Notre Dame
7-Texas
8-Washington

Does it matter? Absolutely not, but interesting how it comes about.

Really. From my point of view I don't care if they rank us #2 or #10 - we didn't win it all so whatever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom