Rutgers Role in the Big Ten | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Rutgers Role in the Big Ten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's supposed to look like a space ship. It's going to have all the bells and whistles, offices, etc. Keeping up with the Dallas Cowboys, you know. TIC. Here's an article.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...ootball-facility-could-resemble-a-space-ship/

That's a facility plus indoor field. UConn spent $65m a decade ago. I don't think $80m is beyond what you'd expect for such a place. Heck, UConn is building one for bball right now without the indoor field, and it's costing the school $35m.

Reaction Score
Nickey, I purposely left Rutgers out of this discussion. We're discussing Maryland's Athletic Department. Maryland has won a significant amount of NCAA championships. As a Rutgers person, lay low and be happy where you're at.
Thats why I don't participate!

Reaction Score
It looks like the "calvary" came to stimps aid when he was under fire by us yankee's?

The only point I was trying to make (and poorly at that) is the B1G has always made more money than the ACC, and, we've done ok.

Reaction Score
My emphasis is on the Director's Cup finishes and health of the athletic department financially. Virginia right now sponsors 25 sports. I'd like to see UVA add some more. The highest we've been able to achieve in the Director's Cup is #3 a few years ago. I'd like to see UVA win it. Stanford seems to have a stranglehold on it.

Louisville sponsors 22 sports that the ACC sponsors. That's a good fit. UConn sponsors 23 sports that the ACC sponsors which is also a good fit. Both also make an effort to be competitive in all their sports too. I like that. I don't want schools that only go through the motions either. We have some baseball programs in the league that seem to be doing this. Maryland is one of them. That's not good. Duke was doing it in football. But the new Athletic Director and Coach have decided to up their game in football. That's good for the league.

Maryland used to sponsor all 25 sports that the ACC sponsors. Now they are down to 18 because they can't run a successful athletic department of the size they were trying to. Is Maryland a fit? Sure they've been here for 60 years. But Louisville and UConn are both now better fits because Louisville and UConn would have better league participation. This is what I emphasize. I'm not the guy who only cares about football or even basketball.

I still don't understand your angle. Why the constant vitriol from you when Maryland is discussed? Why do you discuss Maryland's irresponsible athletic spending in the present? Maryland cut sports because the previous AD ran the department into the ground. It was done to stop the bleeding. The moves Kevin Anderson has made since taking over has been to recover from what Debbie Yow did.

And Maryland's done more than just "been" in the ACC for 60 years. Maryland has more national titles and ACC titles than every single ACC program not named North Carolina. Maryland's football and basketball has been blah of late, but it has 3rd most ACC football titles and is the 3rd winningest ACC basketball program all-time.

Maryland's financial situation is embarrassing for sure, but let's not act like the ACC isn't losing one of it most successful athletic programs.

Reaction Score
I did not read the long thread. However, I am pretty sure what RU's role in the B1G will be like. RU will be there to provide other B1G teams with Ws. They will take it from behind and like it. RU did the same in the BE. Now, they will just get more money to do it. RU will be playing the same old role they had in the BE.

Reaction Score
The only point I was trying to make (and poorly at that) is the B1G has always made more money than the ACC, and, we've done ok.
I was'nt implying "you" just the flurry of pro-ACC posts that came after my friend came under fire! Ha ha Your alright with me SouthronCross because you don't feel the need to denigrate anyone to boost your own image. I'm gonna call a truce in the xmas spirit with bstimpy as he has mostly held true to his word recently and really for the most part shows he has some honor/good intentions. As long as I don't sense opinion turn to agenda.Merry Xmas to you and yours SC.

Reaction Score
I did not read the long thread. However, I am pretty sure what RU's role in the B1G will be like. RU will be there to provide other B1G teams with Ws. They will take it from behind and like it. RU did the same in the BE. Now, they will just get more money to do it. RU will be playing the same old role they had in the BE.
Thanks for putting your ignorance on here for all to display in the spirit of Xmas.Unfortunately for you its mostly wishful thinking RU will be a fine add and competitive in the long run. I didnt realize that you could read the future better than Delany and his long Wall St search team? I'm really sorry in my benevolent mood I had to post this WCHy at Xmas-time to a real UConn fan not the troll's i usually respond too as don't we (UConn) have our own perception problems? I believe RU succeeding will benefit UConn! Have we been a BE juggernaut in FB?Let us not cast the 1st stone.

Reaction Score
I restrained from sarcasm as your a Uconn fan.

Reaction Score
Thanks for putting your ignorance on here for all to display in the spirit of Xmas.Unfortunately for you its mostly wishful thinking RU will be a fine add and competitive in the long run. I didnt realize that you could read the future better than Delany and his long Wall St search team? I'm really sorry in my benevolent mood I had to post this WCHy at Xmas-time to a real UConn fan not the troll's i usually respond too as don't we (UConn) have our own perception problems? I believe RU succeeding will benefit UConn! Have we been a BE juggernaut in FB?Let us not cast the 1st stone.

I love Nicky's "automatic writing".
That form is often recommended as a creative writing exersize....

With automatic writing you are not consulting your thinking mind. In order to do it successfully, you have to put your mind to one side. Forget spacing, punctuation, syntax...just let the words flow without thought.

Nice job, Nicky. Keep letting it flow.

Reaction Score
I love Nicky's "automatic writing".
That form is often recommended as a creative writing exersize....

With automatic writing you are not consulting your thinking mind. In order to do it successfully, you have to put your mind to one side. Forget spacing, punctuation, syntax...just let the words flow without thought.

Nice job, Nicky. Keep letting it flow.
Its a blog billy not a creative writing class. Or maybe waking up in a ft of snow every day so early in the season effects the mind? Are you a teacher or just naturally picayune?ha ha Did winter start yet ?

Reaction Score
Nicky..nope. Not a teacher.

Federal and state law, legislation, lobbying, and policy was my arena...Some contract administration and review...also some time as an Administrative Hearing Officer (Administrative Law Judge).

But I do write some. For myself..fiction for the heck of it.

Reaction Score
In case anyone has an interest and did not read about it last week. Maryland did beat UVA (who beat UConn the prior round) in the NCAA men's soccer semi-finals only to lose to Notre Dame in the snow in Philly for the title on Sunday. Oh, and Rutgers did not make the playoffs.

Reaction Score
I was'nt implying "you" just the flurry of pro-ACC posts that came after my friend came under fire! Ha ha Your alright with me SouthronCross because you don't feel the need to denigrate anyone to boost your own image. I'm gonna call a truce in the xmas spirit with bstimpy as he has mostly held true to his word recently and really for the most part shows he has some honor/good intentions. As long as I don't sense opinion turn to agenda.Merry Xmas to you and yours SC.

Merry Christmas to you, too, good sir.

Reaction Score
Yes,I know and agree its a great academic school in a beautiful setting but I won't go much further with the praise because of a certain repetitive poster,Ha Ha.As for the major sports I haven't heard much from UVa since the Barber brothers in FB and Ralph Sampson in hoop's !!Heck,RU was in a final 4 in the mid 70s in hoop's and undefeated in FB too in "76" I believe?? They knocked off Tenn in Knoxville a few yrs later and scared Bama so they never came back that same yr I believe? Good win for you guys Sat pj I was happy for you guys!

Ralph Sampson...the most overrated player in the history of ACC basketball. Ever.

No ACC titles, no national titles. None. By the time he graduated, Sam Perkins had passed him as the ACC's best center of that period.

Reaction Score
In case anyone has an interest and did not read about it last week. Maryland did beat UVA (who beat UConn the prior round) in the NCAA men's soccer semi-finals only to lose to Notre Dame in the snow in Philly for the title on Sunday. Oh, and Rutgers did not make the playoffs.

Yes. I was watching. And UConn beat UCLA in the round before that in Los Angeles. Thank you! UVA would have had to play the quartfinal in Los Angeles had UCLA won. UCLA would have been favored. Notre Dame and Maryland were the two best teams in the ACC this season in Men's soccer. UVA was able to beat Notre Dame twice, but we lost to Maryland twice and ties a third time. Notre Dame then beat Maryland in the final. The UVA squad is young and pretty much overachieved this year. Hope it is a good sign for next season.

Reaction Score
Ralph Sampson...the most overrated player in the history of ACC basketball. Ever.

No ACC titles, no national titles. None. By the time he graduated, Sam Perkins had passed him as the ACC's best center of that period.

Ralph Sampson is one of the few 3 time NCAA players of the year. You can call that overrated if you like. But it's a rather unique individual accomplishment. Kinda like winning the Heisman three times. He didn't win any titles other than NIT. But I think Terry Holland bears more responsibility for that than Ralph Sampson.

Reaction Score
I still don't understand your angle. Why the constant vitriol from you when Maryland is discussed? Why do you discuss Maryland's irresponsible athletic spending in the present? Maryland cut sports because the previous AD ran the department into the ground. It was done to stop the bleeding. The moves Kevin Anderson has made since taking over has been to recover from what Debbie Yow did.

And Maryland's done more than just "been" in the ACC for 60 years. Maryland has more national titles and ACC titles than every single ACC program not named North Carolina. Maryland's football and basketball has been blah of late, but it has 3rd most ACC football titles and is the 3rd winningest ACC basketball program all-time.

Maryland's financial situation is embarrassing for sure, but let's not act like the ACC isn't losing one of it most successful athletic programs.

Maryland has won a lot of NCAA championships and ACC chamionships over its 60 year history and has a very strong history of success no doubt. Recently Maryland has been strong in Women's Lacrosse and Field Hockey with some Men's Soccer as well. Debbie Yow should be given credit for that success in those two Women's sports for sure. It was an emphasis of hers. I know that much of the Maryland community blame Debbie Yow for the financial issues, but I'm not sure it's all her. Maryland's athletics department had financial issues when Debbie Yow got there. Something is wrong with the alumni support and fundraising.

Reaction Score
"CHAPEL HILL – Sources close to the Atlantic Coast Conference and the Barclays Center in Brooklyn say the two parties have agreed to stage a future ACC Basketball Tournament at the brand new home of the Brooklyn Nets.

The ACC will vote on holding the tournament in New York Tuesday, but the sources say that the agreement has been made and the vote is a mere formality. Due to the addition of former Big East schools Notre Dame, Louisville, Pittsburgh and Syracuse, the ACC is anxious to play a tournament in the northeast.

The Barclays Center selected the ACC over the Big Ten, which has added Maryland and Rutgers to its conference membership. Both conferences may hold later tournaments in Brooklyn, but the ACC will come first."

It will be interesting to see if the ACC makes more then this token swipe at having some visibility in the NY area....

I do not make much of a one and done PR tourney...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"CHAPEL HILL – Sources close to the Atlantic Coast Conference and the Barclays Center in Brooklyn say the two parties have agreed to stage a future ACC Basketball Tournament at the brand new home of the Brooklyn Nets.

The ACC will vote on holding the tournament in New York Tuesday, but the sources say that the agreement has been made and the vote is a mere formality. Due to the addition of former Big East schools Notre Dame, Louisville, Pittsburgh and Syracuse, the ACC is anxious to play a tournament in the northeast.

The Barclays Center selected the ACC over the Big Ten, which has added Maryland and Rutgers to its conference membership. Both conferences may hold later tournaments in Brooklyn, but the ACC will come first."

It will be interesting to see if the ACC makes more then this token swipe at having some visibility in the NY area....

I do not make much of a one and done PR tourney...

Will be interesting to see the B1G's response as they are known to be looking at moving their tournmanet east, too.

Reaction Score
Ralph Sampson is one of the few 3 time NCAA players of the year. You can call that overrated if you like. But it's a rather unique individual accomplishment. Kinda like winning the Heisman three times. He didn't win any titles other than NIT. But I think Terry Holland bears more responsibility for that than Ralph Sampson.

He might've won it three times, but, it damn sure wasn't because he was the best player.

And yes, Terry Holland was why he and UVA underachieved so badly.

Reaction Score
He might've won it three times, but, it damn sure wasn't because he was the best player.

And yes, Terry Holland was why he and UVA underachieved so badly.

Ralph Sampson on UVA was like Lebron James on the Cleveland Cavaliers. He didn't have much supporting cast at all. In fact I don't know if any of his supporting cast at UVA ever made it in the NBA other than Rick Carlisle on Boston as a bench player. The other teams in the ACC had to design defenses just to slow Ralph Sampson down. Few could. He played entire front courts from other teams by himself. In UNC's case Ralph Sampson would play 1 on 3 against one of UNC's front courts of Sam Perkins, James Worthy, and Michael Jordan and either beat them straight up or lose barely do to gimmicks that Dean Smith would deploy like stalling the ACC Championship Game for 12 minutes with a 1 point lead just to shorten the game. Those three UNC names are all NBA allstars. To think Ralph Sampson could beat or hold his own against all of them at once makes him a good player in my mind. It did for all of the AP Player of the Year voters too. A strong UVA backcourt helped Ralph, but it wasn't an allstar backcourt.

Terry Holland never could recruit all star players to UVA when he had Ralph Sampson there. He also made a lot of in game coaching mistakes. That's why he bears the responsibility for not winning a championship too. He won a ton of games though.

Reaction Score
Ralph Sampson on UVA was like Lebron James on the Cleveland Cavaliers. He didn't have much supporting cast at all. In fact I don't know if any of his supporting cast at UVA ever made it in the NBA other than Rick Carlisle on Boston as a bench player. The other teams in the ACC had to design defenses just to slow Ralph Sampson down. Few could. He played entire front courts from other teams by himself. In UNC's case Ralph Sampson would play 1 on 3 against one of UNC's front courts of Sam Perkins, James Worthy, and Michael Jordan and either beat them straight up or lose barely do to gimmicks that Dean Smith would deploy like stalling the ACC Championship Game for 12 minutes with a 1 point lead just to shorten the game. Those three UNC names are all NBA allstars. To think Ralph Sampson could beat or hold his own against all of them at once makes him a good player in my mind. It did for all of the AP Player of the Year voters too. A strong UVA backcourt helped Ralph, but it wasn't an allstar backcourt.

Terry Holland never could recruit all star players to UVA when he had Ralph Sampson there. He also made a lot of in game coaching mistakes. That's why he bears the responsibility for not winning a championship too. He won a ton of games though.

You're not serious.

Do the names Jeff Lamp, Lee Raker, Othell Wilson, Tim Mullen, and, Jim Miller ring a bell? All of them were highly recruited players, with numerous D1 offers apiece. Lamp and Raker were as good as anybody in the ACC during their last two seasons. Wilson was one of the most underrated SGs in the country when he was there. Miller and Mullen were solid, if unspectacular.

It was all on Holland, who was the most overrated HC in ACC history.

Reaction Score
You're not serious.

Do the names Jeff Lamp, Lee Raker, Othell Wilson, Tim Mullen, and, Jim Miller ring a bell? All of them were highly recruited players, with numerous D1 offers apiece. Lamp and Raker were as good as anybody in the ACC during their last two seasons. Wilson was one of the most underrated SGs in the country when he was there. Miller and Mullen were solid, if unspectacular.

It was all on Holland, who was the most overrated HC in ACC history.
Those names ring a bell with me, sure. But I'm not sure any of them ring an NBA bell or to anyone not living in that era. You miss Ricly Stokes, Kentan Edelin, and, Jeff Jones. I don't think Terry Holland was overrated. I think he stunk. You are listing the UVA stars, but none that you list made any waves in the NBA. Ralph single handed beat the allstars that UNC had (Michael Jordan, Sam Perkins, James Worthy) by himself. He lost to Al Wood in the final four as a sophomore because Al Wood caught fire in the tournament that year. But Ralph Sampson deserved every award he got.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Something is wrong with the alumni support and fundraising.

You're spot on with this. Maryland did recently hire a new ED of the Terrapin Club and made organizational and workflow changes as it relates to Development, so maybe giving will increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom