Rutgers Role in the Big Ten | The Boneyard

Rutgers Role in the Big Ten

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Love the AD's comments, herself a major trainwreck...."As Mr. Delany negotiates new subscription rates for the Big Ten Network, Ms. Hermann, the athletic director at Rutgers, knows her objective. “We have to make our contribution to the Big Ten,” she said, “and get cable companies to pay for the Big Ten Network out here.”

Good luck with the contribution to the Big Ten thingy

Reaction Score
>>During the negotiations to join the Big Ten, when Maryland’s president, Wallace Loh, expressed concern about the limited capacity of the school’s football stadium, Mr. Delany reassured him. “He told me it’s no longer butts on seats,” Dr. Loh said, “but eyeballs on screens.”<<

Reaction Score
I've said this before:

“The hypocrisy is that money that’s generated makes a few people very, very rich,” Mr. Duderstadt said. “Athletic directors, coaches, assistant coaches, commissioners, too. But institutions are not winning and student-athletes get very little.”

These dudes get rich off the backs of the kids.

Reaction Score
read the Newark star ledgers game wrap-up in HuskyNan's news feed post. The comments after the article sound like the Boneyard after last year. Fire the Coach, the AD isn't up to the job etc. The problem for them is that their AD is overmatched. Since they are in the BIG they have a lifeline but there is alot of trouble in Piscataway.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
noeynox said:
I've said this before:

“The hypocrisy is that money that’s generated makes a few people very, very rich,” Mr. Duderstadt said. “Athletic directors, coaches, assistant coaches, commissioners, too. But institutions are not winning and student-athletes get very little.”

These dudes get rich off the backs of the kids.

Don't tell upstater. Schools are losing money.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
jdb50 said:
read the Newark star ledgers game wrap-up in HuskyNan's news feed post. The comments after the article sound like the Boneyard after last year. Fire the Coach, the AD isn't up to the job etc. The problem for them is that their AD is overmatched. Since they are in the BIG they have a lifeline but there is alot of trouble in Piscataway.

Like the boneyard last year they are right.

Reaction Score
Don't know who was available last year whaler but maybe by Warde waiting we will be better off in the end.

Reaction Score
Folks- it was always about the eyeballs for the Big Ten Network and a place for Ohio State, Michigan, etc to visit for their alumni and recruiting.

Here's a New York Times article on the dumpster fire itself.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/01/business/the-big-tens-bigger-footprint.html?smid=fb-share

If we have AAU status, we can recify the problem with Delaney's logic.

Not much new in the article. This paragraph though confirms that the additions of Maryland and Rutgers were reactionary and not strategic which most of us thought was the case after Barry Alvarez said this was a move to try to keep Penn State. You don't just add two financial basket case athletic departments as your first choice. It's easy to lure someone like that when you dangle dreams of big paydays in front of them. Delaney's created quite a project for himself to help those schools clean that up.

After the Southeastern Conference expanded to include the University of Missouri and after the Atlantic Coast Conference added the University of Notre Dame (the school’s football program remained independent) and the University of Pittsburgh — both schools within the Big Ten’s geographic footprint — Mr. Delany concluded that the Big Ten was in danger of ceding strategic ground. “We felt threatened,” he said.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Big Ten's move was far more strategic than anything the ACC has done to date.

They evicted the ACC and the Big East's corpse from a hugely populated swath of the eastern seaboard.

The Atlantic Coast Except for the Huge Rich Part with all the People Right in the Middle Conference.

Reaction Score
Not much new in the article. This paragraph though confirms that the additions of Maryland and Rutgers were reactionary and not strategic which most of us thought was the case after Barry Alvarez said this was a move to try to keep Penn State. You don't just add two financial basket case athletic departments as your first choice. It's easy to lure someone like that when you dangle dreams of big paydays in front of them. Delaney's created quite a project for himself to help those schools clean that up.

After the Southeastern Conference expanded to include the University of Missouri and after the Atlantic Coast Conference added the University of Notre Dame (the school’s football program remained independent) and the University of Pittsburgh — both schools within the Big Ten’s geographic footprint — Mr. Delany concluded that the Big Ten was in danger of ceding strategic ground. “We felt threatened,” he said.

Someone has chronology problems

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It wasn't for their storied football history?

Well, now I've just about heard it all.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten's move was far more strategic than anything the ACC has done to date.

They evicted the ACC and the Big East's corpse from a hugely populated swath of the eastern seaboard.

The Atlantic Coast Except for the Huge Rich Part with all the People Right in the Middle Conference.

No they haven't. The ACC will be having its Men's basketball tournament in DC in 2016 and will be in New York after that. It will be very successful in both places. And if the ACC adds a television network, it will be highly successful in both metro areas.

The ACC has never been in Philadelphia, but it could go there if it wants with Temple. I'm not sure it wants to go there. We've discussed Temple on this board before. Saying that the Big Ten has evicted the ACC from anywhere on the Atlantic Coast is like saying that the ACC evicted the Big Ten from Chicago by adding Notre Dame.

All the ACC did was lose an athletic department that was shrinking due to mismanagement. It has just flushed seven sports three of which sadly are men's & women's swimming and men's tennis that I follow, and they aren't coming back in the Big Ten either. Maryland's already talking about an overpriced $80 million football indoor practice facility instead. They are discussing this with no money. They complain about Debbie Yow building stuff with no money. Here they go again.

The ACC is adding an athletic department that is more financially stable and will be adding sports. In many ways it has a higher national profile than Maryland due to its recent basketball success. I personally would have rather invited Connecticut, but it is what it is. Perhaps in the next iteration if UConn is still interested.

Reaction Score
No they haven't. The ACC will be having its Men's basketball tournament in DC in 2016 and will be in New York after that. It will be very successful in both places. And if the ACC adds a television network, it will be highly successful in both metro areas.

The ACC has never been in Philadelphia, but it could go there if it wants with Temple. I'm not sure it wants to go there. We've discussed Temple on this board before. Saying that the Big Ten has evicted the ACC from anywhere on the Atlantic Coast is like saying that the ACC evicted the Big Ten from Chicago by adding Notre Dame.

All the ACC did was lose an athletic department that was shrinking due to mismanagement. It has just flushed seven sports three of which sadly are men's & women's swimming and men's tennis that I follow, and they aren't coming back in the Big Ten either. Maryland's already talking about an overpriced $80 million football indoor practice facility instead. They are discussing this with no money. They complain about Debbie Yow building stuff with no money. Here they go again.

The ACC is adding an athletic department that is more financially stable and will be adding sports. In many ways it has a higher national profile than Maryland due to its recent basketball success. I personally would have rather invited Connecticut, but it is what it is. Perhaps in the next iteration if UConn is still interested.

If the ACC wants its hoop tournament in NYC, they may need to get there before 2017. Delany and the B1G covet NYC and it is feasible, especially if another eastern school is added before 2017, for them to move their tournament to NYC, too. As we have all seen with some recent basketball games (and even football games), the B1G has a major alumni footprint in the NY/NJ/CT area. Plus, I am not sure the Tobacco Road axis will want to give-up Greensboro, which amounts to a home game for Duke, UNC, and Wake Forest against everyone else.

Reaction Score
If the ACC and the B1G want their hoops tournaments in NYC or Baltimore/DC they will have them their, since neither is giving up Greensboro/Charlotte or Chicago year in year out. It would not surprise me to see both leagues alternate years or every 3-4 years at MSG. As for the TV Netowrk, "if the ACC adds a television netowrrk..." is a HUGE if. The B1g o ther other hand has a very succesful network and significantly richer overall TV contract today, which comes up for bid in a couple years. They will be pritning money in the years to come compared to the ACC. All this said, I'd be thrilled to be in either league right now.

Reaction Score
If the ACC wants its hoop tournament in NYC, they may need to get there before 2017. Delany and the B1G covet NYC and it is feasible, especially if another eastern school is added before 2017, for them to move their tournament to NYC, too. As we have all seen with some recent basketball games (and even football games), the B1G has a major alumni footprint in the NY/NJ/CT area. Plus, I am not sure the Tobacco Road axis will want to give-up Greensboro, which amounts to a home game for Duke, UNC, and Wake Forest against everyone else.

You will have mutiny in the Big Ten if Delaney even considers putting their basketball tournament anywhere outside of the midwest. For years the Big Ten didn't even have a basketball tournament. The coach at Michigan State, Tom Izzo, is already complaining publicly about the Maryland/Rutgers additions. The Big Ten is the Midwestern Conference, and will remain the Midwestern Conference. It will be over the strong opposition of all of its basketball powers to have their tournament in a foreign region. It's opposition that I doubt even Delaney would fight. New Yorkers will watch the Big Ten Tournament on TV. Maryland, Rutgers, and Penn State will not be consulted for basketball.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I always thought Rutgers was the orange ball in "Pulp Fiction" to the big 10. Ugly, and serves a purpose, but man does it stink needing it.

Reaction Score
Cable and Satellite TV have a limited future. I keep reading about how younger people are subscribing less and less. This model will be disrupted and the B1G will be stuck with Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Cable and Satellite TV have a limited future. I keep reading about how younger people are subscribing less and less. This model will be disrupted and the B1G will be stuck with Rutgers.
Watch out! Nicky from Newark will take you to task.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

1) You'd be hope not - your scenario means your grandkids will be watching UConn in the AAC.

2) Whatever replaces what we have now will still involve the exchange of money for content. And that will still favor the schools located in more heavily populated areas.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Wow - you're bringing your conference tournament to DC and New York?!

Holy s---! That changes....well, nothing.

That gaping hole in the mid-Atlantic will still exist and your presence in New York will limited to the number of Syracuse and Duke grads that exist there. One Ohio State game at Maryland or Rutgers is a bigger deal than the ACC carpetbagging its lil basketball tournament.

You seem to think that Louisville's financial stability means something - it doesn't. Not a blessed thing. Trading Maryland for a small portion of the Kentuckiana region is the realignment version of selling Manhattan for $24 in beads. That's a reactionary move if ever there was one.

Reaction Score
Wow - you're bringing your conference tournament to DC and New York?!

Holy s---! That changes....well, nothing.

That gaping hole in the mid-Atlantic will still exist and your presence in New York will limited to the number of Syracuse and Duke grads that exist there. One Ohio State game at Maryland or Rutgers is a bigger deal than the ACC carpetbagging its lil basketball tournament.

You seem to think that Louisville's financial stability means something - it doesn't. Not a blessed thing. Trading Maryland for a small portion of the Kentuckiana region is the realignment version of selling Manhattan for $24 in beads. That's a reactionary move if ever there was one.

An Ohio State football game against either Rutgers or Maryland will not be of any interest to anyone that didn't go to either Ohio State or the other school. I'm not so sure it will be of much interest to the people who went to Ohio State to be honest. Talk about boring. That's it.

And yes the ACC will be taking its Lil tournament to DC and to New York at some point, and it will be very successful in both cities. The only hole that the ACC has in the Mid-Atlantic is Philadelphia. But the ACC has never had Philadelphia to begin with, so that's nothing new.

Reaction Score
If the ACC and the B1G want their hoops tournaments in NYC or Baltimore/DC they will have them their, since neither is giving up Greensboro/Charlotte or Chicago year in year out. It would not surprise me to see both leagues alternate years or every 3-4 years at MSG. As for the TV Netowrk, "if the ACC adds a television netowrrk..." is a HUGE if. The B1g o ther other hand has a very succesful network and significantly richer overall TV contract today, which comes up for bid in a couple years. They will be pritning money in the years to come compared to the ACC. All this said, I'd be thrilled to be in either league right now.

Any hoops tournament in NYC will be held with the shadow of our success hanging over it.

Reaction Score
Any hoops tournament in NYC will be held with the shadow of our success hanging over it.

Well, it'll have the NIT and the other conference tournament to compete with along with the former Big East memories. There will be a tournament in MSG and another in Brooklyn these days it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom