RPI | Page 8 | The Boneyard

RPI

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
Actually I think we will like this. UConn's BPI is 22 (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi). So following your examples, a 6 seed. I'll take it.

I've said this a million times, the RPI of your own team is not a good indicator of getting into the tournament or the seeding. The committee uses the RPI as a tool to see who you've beaten and lost to. They need some kind of ranking for teams to define the level of teams you've beaten and lost to. Obviously teams who have great records and beaten some good teams have high RPIs. But I've seen it written a bunch of times that the AP and Coaches Polls are actually better indicators of seeding than the RPI. Just win baby!

22 would be a potential 5 seed. BPI and RPI still include UL and SMU and both are ahead of UConn in both rankings.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Folks aren't going to like this, but the AAC last year was an example.

SMU finished the season #13 RPI (4-seed) but #24 BPI (6-seed). They got a 6-seed.

Temple finished the season #34 RPI (9-seed) but #66 BPI (no bid). They didn't get a bid.

The AAC's RPI numbers were inflated last year (Tulsa lost to a bad Div II school, which RPI doesn't count - just another example of it being a garbage ranking). Obv the Committee looked past that. And there have been studies showing BPI is a better predictor than RPI.

That doesn't mean the NCAA isn't corrupt! Pretending to do one thing for PR purposes and actually doing something different behind the scenes is standard NCAA operating procedure. And of course human bias comes in as well in terms of odd bubble decisions that tend to favor P5 conference mates of Selection Committee members.

What about 2014? Louisville was #3 BPI, they got a 4 seed. UConn 18, they got a 7, and SMU was 31 and projected by BPI to be an 8 seed and they didn't get in.

caw

Reaction Score
Also, BPI could go up if Brimah enters into the top 5 for MPG. Currently BPI only makes allowance for the top 5 in MPG of those who have played more than half the teams games. Brimah should be over the half games played mark but I believe is only at 6th in minutes per game, though it's pretty close between him (20 MPG)and Adams (22 MPG) after last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom