RPI | The Boneyard

RPI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On realtimerpi.com we're #65 -the same as ESPN RPI and NCAA RPI- but if you hit power ratings on realtimerpi we're #33.

On live-RPI.com we're #58.

Sagarin (who uses his own system) has us at #34.

Cinny, our next opponent has and RPI in the 70s.

So what does it mean? Win games.

Reaction Score
Yes. According to CBS Sports, our RPI is 58. Its crazy to see that a 16-5 South Dakota State team has a better RPI than us at 44 and a 12-7 Kansas State team is also better at 50. I know its early but I just dont understand how this is calculated exactly and why so much stock is put into these rankings on Selection Sunday?

Reaction Score
Yes. According to CBS Sports, our RPI is 58. Its crazy to see that a 16-5 South Dakota State team has a better RPI than us at 44 and a 12-7 Kansas State team is also better at 50. I know its early but I just dont understand how this is calculated exactly and why so much stock is put into these rankings on Selection Sunday?

75% of RPI is your strength of schedule (and your opponents' SOS), so it's never obvious just from a team's record or general standing as a program. You'd have to do a lot of digging to get a good idea of say, UConn's opponents' strength of schedule component.

As for why... I mean, it's just that it's an old statistic, so people have familiarity with it. If you erased everyone's memory and told them about all the ways to measure performance, no one would care about RPI.

Reaction Score
Are you really asking why the NCAA uses a joke metric to determine something important? It's the NCAA, doing things in a way that can't be taken seriously is their best skill.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Most of our opponents (wins and losses) are hovering in the 60's-70's or they are over 100. We have maybe 5-6 games vs the top 50 beating only Michigan and Texas to date with two against SMU. An RPI in the 50's does not get you an at large bid. The losses to Cuse, Gonzaga, Temple, and Tulsa coming home to roost. We have 6 games left against the Top 100, we need to win them and beat SMU at least once to feel comfortable. Don't believe these bracket projections, another loss to outside the Top 100 will kill any at large hopes. The schedule had that little margin for error once our OOC games all ended up being RPI turkeys.

Reaction Score
Most of our opponents (wins and losses) are hovering in the 60's-70's or they are over 100. We have maybe 5-6 games vs the top 50 beating only Michigan and Texas to date with two against SMU. An RPI in the 50's does not get you an at large bid. The losses to Cuse, Gonzaga, Temple, and Tulsa coming home to roost. We have 6 games left against the Top 100, we need to win them and beat SMU at least once to feel comfortable. Don't believe these bracket projections, another loss to outside the Top 100 will kill any at large hopes. The schedule had that little margin for error once our OOC games all ended up being RPI turkeys.
It isn't February. The RPI doesn't mean anything yet.

If they really have turned a corner, and win all their remaining home games, with losses, say @SMU an @Cincy, they'll end with a Top 25 RPI before the American. Another loss or two puts them in the high 20s to mid-30s. That's before the AACT.

Also, what is our loss outside the Top 100?

Reaction Score
it's just such a bad/outdated system . If you look at KemPom or Sagarin you'll see that they have us ahead of both SDST and KSU. Seems like younger writers/voters use these later systems more, while the "old guard" still focuses heavily on RPI

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
It isn't February. The RPI doesn't mean anything yet.

If they really have turned a corner, and win all their remaining home games, with losses, say @SMU an @Cincy, they'll end with a Top 25 RPI before the American. Another loss or two puts them in the high 20s to mid-30s. That's before the AACT.

Also, what is our loss outside the Top 100?
Temple is the closest loss at 89.

And if we lose to only SMU twice and Cincy on the road, our RPI going into the conference tournament will be approximately 66.

Reaction Score
Temple is the closest loss at 89.

And if we lose to only SMU twice and Cincy on the road, our RPI going into the conference tournament will be approximately 66.
Where'd you get that? I tried that scenario and got 27

RPIWizard

Reaction Score
To be fair, those are really the only games we can lose. If they end up 22-9 with another home loss, their RPI is around 44.

Got to take care of home games, and gotta win all the remaining "gimmes" on the board.

Reaction Score
Games against low-majors shouldn't even count in the RPI unless they are bonafide winners over good competition, or conference regular seasons champs--unless you lose of course. I see no reason why a win over Austin Peay or Coppin St. should be considered a better win than over New Hampshire. Makes no sense.

Reaction Score
it's just such a bad/outdated system . If you look at KemPom or Sagarin you'll see that they have us ahead of both SDST and KSU. Seems like younger writers/voters use these later systems more, while the "old guard" still focuses heavily on RPI
The NCAA selection committee is shifting more towards stat based metrics like Kenpom/Sagarin, the NCAA's director of media and statistics said this on twitter a few months ago.

Reaction Score
Win against Cinci gets us to 5-5 against the rpi top 100. We have a top 25 road scalp. We're in good shape.
Would be 7-4 vs. KenPom top 100 teams as well. (Temple at 104 right now, include that loss and its 7-5. I think they're top 100 KenPom at the end of the year).

Reaction Score
The thing is too is a terrible way to rate teams. Lots of statisticians have looked at it. One the year before last in an academic journal and they all conclude the same thing. It heavily over weighs some thing like sos especially. A bad team from a good league gets its rpi heavily inflated and also inflates those of its opponents not because it's any good but because it plays good teams.

Reaction Score
Maine and New Hampshire are having off years and are normally better.
Scheduling both Sacred Heart and Central was a mistake a rematch with Yale would have drawn more interest.

Reaction Score
Are you really asking why the NCAA uses a joke metric to determine something important? It's the NCAA, doing things in a way that can't be taken seriously is their best skill.

Bottom line is that no matter what metric, what formula, what equation you use. There is always going to be a counter argument that is going to diminish it. There are 68 spots to get in the tourney. If a team cannot get in with 68 spots then they are not deserving of being there. Whether they use the RPI or whatever formula they are always going to leave a team out that may appear deserving... but think about it... 68 spots. If you couldn't be safely inside the 68 spots then what makes you so deserving in the first place? 68 is plenty of opportunity (subtract auto bids to be fair) to get in. If you are in the bubble or at risk of not getting in then we cannot blame the RPI. We can only blame our team for not playing good enough to be safely in.

All we can hope is that Connecticut wins several more key games that are coming up... Otherwise, whether is South Dakota State, Kansas State should be irrelevant to us because we are the only ones to blame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom