Round 2 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Round 2

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Thoughts on the day from games I was able to catch

Duke beats Ohio State

Really gritty and impressive win by Duke. They couldn't get anything going early but dug their heels in and played hard and completely outplayed Ohio State after the first quarter. Reagan Richardson was unbelievable, so good from deep and off the dribble. They have good size and great athletes who were able to slow down Sheldon. If UCONN wins, it'll be really interesting to see if the same players can slow down Edwards/Bueckers. McMahon was great for OSU but they couldn't get much else going. Congrats to Lawson and Duke, she's building a great thing in Durham and her program is going to be scary good in a couple of years, particularly if they land Sarah Strong.

Texas vs. Alabama

This was a really fun one to watch despite the low score. Honestly Texas should've been up by 20+ the entire second half but they just blew layup after layup. The announcer stated they missed 15 layups during the game. All that said, Texas really dominated the game on both ends. They consistently got great looks on offense and played incredible tough defense. If they can consistently hit layups I think they're a legitimate title contender and Booker is definitely in contention for best freshman in the country. Her mid range is so good and she's big and strong and can get her shot on pretty much any possession. I actually think Texas is better than they were early in the year with Harmon, and the reason for that is Aaliyah Moore. She is a perfect 4 in their system in that she's aggressive offensively, rebounds well, can hit midrange and defends the heck out of you. She's a big upgrade over Muhammad who was taking her minutes earlier in the year. Texas's defense makes them able to hang with anyone (their 4 losses were by a combined 14 points), and they have the pieces offensively to win games. Have to hit layups though. Alabama wasn't able to get much going offensively but fought hard and never let the game get away from them, though they struggled to close the gap under 10. Sarah Ashlee Barker especially battled hard and is a baller. I don't think of Curry as a top tier coach but she consistently does a good job to make Alabama competitive year in and year out.

Baylor vs. Virginia Tech

I caught the second half of this one. Jada Walker was insane tonight, she balled out when Baylor needed it most. It's hard to attribute a loss to 1 or 2 players, but a couple that really stood out were Amoore blowing a wide open layup that led to a VT foul and free throws for Baylor (4 point swing) and Walker nailing a half court bomb at the end of the 3rd. In a tight game like this, either of those plays can be the difference. I thought VT battled well despite obviously missing Kitley. Strack had a great game and showed some great post moves inside, Ekh was phenomenal offensively, and Amoore struggled shooting but I thought had a solid game overall. Baylor was just quicker and Jada Walker was the difference. I think Baylor has the better shot to upset USC (assuming they win tomorrow) but a valiant effort by VT. Question now is does Brooks stay or go? And is Amoore declaring or coming back? Or will she shock the world and transfer to Iowa to replace Clark for one more run? ;)

Stanford vs. Iowa State

Well this was easily the game of the day. Wow, what a battle between two teams and incredible performances from Kiki Iriafen and Emily Ryan. I thought Iowa State was winning the entire night until Demetre nailed her 2nd three to take the lead 83-81 in OT. Iriafen was just dominant tonight. She looked like A'ja Wilson out there on both ends. Great first step off the bounce, good face up jumper, physical defense, just everything you'd want out of your PF tonight. Absolutely owned Crooks in their matchup. She looks like a lotto pick for the 2025 draft. Stanford also got a strong offensive game from Jump and I thought Agara was really solid defensively. Clutch buckets late from Demetre/Lepolo were the difference. Brink had a rough showing and showed just awful decision making down the stretch. She picked up her 4th foul in the 3rd quarter and early in the 4th quarter was still quite aggressive defensively, going for blocks and her 5th foul was a blatant hack that she complained about before saying "duck* You" toward the ref as she walked off. I'm normally a Brink fan, but between that and her barking at a teammate earlier in the game, it just wasn't a good look for her tonight. Comparatively, when Crooks fouled out she waved to the fans as a thank you and was helping Stanford players up after falling despite having maybe the worst game of her career. Iowa State's biggest problem IMO was their insistence to pound the ball into her when she was clearly unable to score on Brink or Iriafen. I'd guess at least 6-7 of her shots were blocked and they just kept going to her instead of running looks for Emily Ryan (36 points on 12-20 shooting) or Addy Brown (18 points on 7-12 shooting). That said, a heck of an effort and season for Iowa State. They're going to be a handful next year and I'd expect Crooks to continue to improve in the offseason as she continues to get into better shape and develop moves around the basket. Going up against 2 future WNBA lottery picks tonight was a rough transition after feasting against Maryland's non-existent frontline two nights ago. With Stanford advancing, their regional is shaping up to be loaded with strong physical bigs in the Sweet 16. Texas, Stanford, Tennessee and NC State all have tall and physical front court players so it'll be a battle to watch in Portland.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is my first time watching Stanford this year. I'm getting A'ja Wilson flashbacks from Kiki Iriafen. Her midrange jumper is almost identical. She is really impressive to watch.
I don’t remember Iriafen being this awesome last year. Did she just turn the corner this year, or has it been brewing for awhile?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I don’t remember Iriafen being this awesome last year. Did she just turn the corner this year, or has it been brewing for awhile?
She started off strong last year and then really faded. This year she kept it up. Was the Most Improved Player in the Pac 12.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'd guess at least 6-7 of her shots were blocked and they just kept going to her instead
8 blocks combined for Brink and Iriafen, definitely most of them were on Crooks. They hardly doubled her. Just let one defender handle her. A couple times she got really good low post position but they were mostly able to hold their ground against her.

Reaction Score
8 blocks combined for Brink and Iriafen, definitely most of them were on Crooks. They hardly doubled her. Just let one defender handle her. A couple times she got really good low post position but they were mostly able to hold their ground against her.
This suggests a real limit to her game, if she can be stopped without a double team. Of course, Brink and Iriafen are great defenders. But they’re not unique, and this is exactly what Crooks would have to deal with at the next level in every game. I wonder if she’ll develop past this.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This suggests a real limit to her game, if she can be stopped without a double team. Of course, Brink and Iriafen are great defenders. But they’re not unique, and this is exactly what Crooks would have to deal with at the next level in every game. I wonder if she’ll develop past this.
She’s a freshman going up against 2 of the best posts in the country, she’ll develop her game and improve. I love Crooks but don’t think she projects to be a good WNBA prospect even if she’s a dominant collegiate player. Making it in the WNBA has as much to do with length and athleticism as it does skill. Who knows though, time will tell and she had a brilliant freshman season.

Reaction Score
She’s a freshman going up against 2 of the best posts in the country, she’ll develop her game and improve. I love Crooks but don’t think she projects to be a good WNBA prospect even if she’s a dominant collegiate player. Making it in the WNBA has as much to do with length and athleticism as it does skill. Who knows though, time will tell and she had a brilliant freshman season.
I like her too. I hope she grows her game. I’d really like to see her succeed.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Yep. Iowa State/Stanford is the best game so far of the tournament.
My heart is only now recovering after an hour drive home post-game. That was an epic battle - 18 lead changes along with 12 ties. Back to back to back "go ahead" shots by both teams in the final minutes of both regular and over time. Foul outs by both teams' best players.

Can Emily Ryan take a COVID year? She was aces all night long and had one of those performances where as much as you want to begrudge your opponent, you can only tip your hat. She nearly carried ISU on her tiny shoulders all by herself. Damn impressive. I became a fan, even as I was rooting for her to miss every shot...

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
This is new. I'm obviously biased by homer rose-colored glasses, but I think she's unquestionably the post improved player in the country this season. Her shooting, scoring, and rebounding stats are actually better thank Brink's!

Reaction Score
As reported by bballnut90 above, Crooks has a great attitude. There was another play when she lost the ball out of bounds and fell face down trying to retrieve it. She was laughing when she got up. Also, she was all hugs and smiles in the handshake line congratulating the Stanford players. How often do you see that from a player on the losing team?

Reaction Score
I like her too. I hope she grows her game. I’d really like to see her succeed.
I watched Crooks in high school and wasn’t sure she would make it at D1. lol. How wrong I was. I’m thrilled with her success and will follow ISU for her career. But she is only 6’2” or so. Brink towered over her. Brink has long arms and Audie does not. Not surprised Brink took away her go to shot. I expect she will develop ways to score against taller, shot blocking opponents at the low post. Only a freshman, after all.

Reaction Score
Note Brink and Iriafen had 8 fouls, most if not all from guarding Crooks

Reaction Score
The thing I like about Stanford bigs and Crooks is that they get the ball and go to work. Liz Kitley is great at this as well. Maybe folks high in bball iq will know a bit better but I see too often bigs have great position and appear to have one on one coverage and they'll kick it back out. They seemingly want even deeper position or a better angle for an easy bucket. No shade but I see great bigs like Lee and Cardoso constantly kick the ball back out. I think it slows down the offense and I know both are skilled enough to finish over both shoulders or even fade away at a close distance.

In any event I remember Kiki starting off the year last year great as well. This year I feel like her jump shot has been great. She's always been explosive but her ability to hit from 15 and like from any area (baseline, either wing) is impressive. Kinda happy for Stanford as they've had really tough draws back to back years in the 2nd round.

Reaction Score
Iriafen is just phenomenal. I have nothing against Brink, but Brink being her teammate means Iriafen doesn’t always get the attention she deserves. She is all-American caliber and probably most improved player in the country.

I can imagine some would criticize Crooks for laughing during a game where she was going 3-21 on layups, but I think that kind of attitude could actually serve her well. Another confident freshman who is unafraid of the moment. I’m looking forward to see how she can develop her game.

Reaction Score
My heart is only now recovering after an hour drive home post-game. That was an epic battle - 18 lead changes along with 12 ties. Back to back to back "go ahead" shots by both teams in the final minutes of both regular and over time. Foul outs by both teams' best players.

Can Emily Ryan take a COVID year? She was aces all night long and had one of those performances where as much as you want to begrudge your opponent, you can only tip your hat. She nearly carried ISU on her tiny shoulders all by herself. Damn impressive. I became a fan, even as I was rooting for her to miss every shot...
Emily Ryan has announced she’s taking a Covid year.

Reaction Score
Emily Ryan has announced she’s taking a Covid year.
I remember watching Iowa State her freshman year. She, Donarski (now at UNC), and Fuerbach (now at Iowa) all played huge roles as freshman. They were led by their veteran Ashley Joens. Really cool to now see Emily Ryan in that veteran role, on a team so reliant on freshman. I’m really intrigued to see how this freshman class plays out. I’m hopeful they stick together unlike Ryan’s class that had a lot of transfers out.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
That was the best game I've seen all year in WCBB. And 2 teams that prove that a physical game can have sportsmanship unlike some other teams which shall remain nameless (LOL)
I loved that Kiki went out of her way to mention this in the presser, and to give ISU all the credit they deserved for playing a really physical but really sportsmanlike game:
Q. Kiki, how physical was it in there?
KIKI IRIAFEN: Very, very physical. They were a great -- they are a great team and their post players are great. It's physical, but they have great sportsmanship, which I love. So we were able to battle against each other, and at the end of the day pick each other up. It was very competitive and nothing was easy. That's what makes it fun, you know. Kudos to them.

Reaction Score
Well now. Maybe I should have stayed up for the Stanford/ISU game. 36 pts in overtime? That must have been a barn burner!
Tired Tom And Jerry GIF

It was. Doing my best to feel functional this morning, but worth it!:D

Reaction Score

I don't even know how I would even be behind the wheel after a game like that if I were in your shoes.

Reaction Score
Poor taste or fair game?

Context (maybe unintended) is that Georgia Amoore and Liz Kitley host a podcast by that name.

qc.jpg

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
I don't even know how I would even be behind the wheel after a game like that if I were in your shoes.
And I had a car-full of friends who were entrusting me with their lives to get all of us home! Fortunately we basically coasted back to SF on good vibes and "KIKI FOR PRESIDENT" chants.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom