Rothstein on Jackson | The Boneyard

Rothstein on Jackson

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
super bowl football GIF by Twitter

Reaction Score
DH is really smart w/AJ.. Grab the boards and advance the ball up the floor.. Playing to his strengths.. Once AJ attacks the hoop on a consistent basis(ala Dr J).. People will forget about his 3 pt shot.. That happens at the next level with player development in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Always liked AJ from day one, his athleticism is what caught my eye right away. Seems that he has adjusted to the college game and is much more comfortable on the court. He has improved his ball handling quite a bit along with THE SHOT that everyone is most hung up on. He pushes the ball up the court which puts a huge amount of pressure on the other teams defense and also plays a helter skelter defense that causes a lot of havoc. Let's not forget his passing and rebounding. We have played 13 games so far and have 18 more to go. (Not counting post season) If AJ stays healthy and we have few postponed/cancelled games due the pandemic, AJ will only get better as the season goes on. Imagine!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
His BBall iq is ahead of the teams. He makes passes before the player is ready. In soccer you pass to the open space to lead the guy and Jackson seems to see the play before it develops

Reaction Score
We'd all take those averages for the rest of the season. Guessing the consistent rim attacking comes next season.
Yep. He also should be averaging a lot more assists. Last game he had 3 and it felt like he should’ve had at least double that with how many good passes he made. I could see him getting some triple doubles in his career if he becomes the focal point of the offense down the line and is attacking the rim like you mention.

Reaction Score
His BBall iq is ahead of the teams. He makes passes before the player is ready. In soccer you pass to the open space to lead the guy and Jackson seems to see the play before it develops
He’s got that Great Gretzky gene. Somebody described him as a poor man’s Scotty Pippen. If he keeps developing, that’s what he can become.

Reaction Score
Impressive numbers need that to stay consistent. He’s getting there no doubt.
He’s a great old school style player with elite athleticism. Once he learned, that as Chief says “you don’t get points for degree of difficulty”, his game has dramatically improved. He has tighten up all phases of the game. His dribble (but still more to do), his physicality rebounding (position first now, then jumps), his passing (amazing vision and creativity you can’t teach but now with discipline and purpose ), his D (locked down potential) and finally his shot (not a Rembrandt but getting more efficient through time in the gym).
He’s an elite rebounder today. I can see Jackson Jr. becoming an elite defender and passer too. As he develops a respectable 3, his drives will open up and he will get to the line more. I think he can be a good foul shooter. A 82% to 92% guy.
Most of all, he’s a worker and student of the game. You can have an intelligent basketball conversation with him. He respects the game and the great ones that played before him. Brought up well.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It would be interesting to see him with a guy like Bouknight. Many times last year, James would see the play like a chess game, hand off to Cole, make a move and get wide open for a pass on a cut to the hoop only to find that Cole was reversing the ball and handing off to Whaley. You could see how frustrating it was for him that they couldn't read it.

What will elevate the assist numbers is more guys understanding what he's seeing and making cuts or moves off ball. He's an equal opportunity passer. There are some guys on this team who mostly only pass to the known scorers (Gaffney, Whaley stand out to me for this). Andre will pass to anybody he thinks can get an open look.

Reaction Score
There are a couple of things I think he can do which will increase his assists

1) pushing the ball to the foul line and doing the backward shovel to a 3 point shooter which he is exceptional at. The problem is he has to play more with the second unit as Polley and Hawkins are probably the best at trailing and shooting.

2) pushing, hesitating at the foul line, pushing to the hoop and passing to the corners where Akok and Martin are apt to be on a delayed break.

Given both, I like to see him push to the hoop to score at least once a game although I'm beginning to wonder if he can finish with his left hand. I'm also wondering what Calhoun did with Stanley Robinson to see if there is a way to free Jackson on the baseline for at least one putback or dunk coming from the corners.

Reaction Score
Great point. It appears that he's showing more discipline re: (not) making the pass when he sees it vs when the recipient is ready to receive it-seconds later. Among his talents passing--His entry passes into the post to AS-- are outstanding-- AS has to be ready..

Analogy to Gretzky by @ Dean Wormer is legit.. On the other hand--There are times on offense when the ball is in someone else's hands. AJ sees the place/play(moving without the ball) and where he needs to be.. And the pass never comes-All part of the team's evolution .

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Now this is an encouraging development. AJ has picked it up. Still not a guy we can hand the ball to in crunch time, but that's not his job this year. We go as far as Cole, Sanogo, and Martin will take us offensively. AJ and the other picking up the slack will make us a much better team.

Reaction Score
Another big improvement in Jackson’s game is that he is fouling way less, and drawing more fouls. Per KenPom, he is committing 2.6 fouls per 40 minutes this year, down from 6.9 fouls per minute last year. The difference in fouls drawn per 40 isn’t as drastic, up to 2.9 from 2.0. His free throw rate (100*FTA/FGA) is at 44.6%, up from 25.6%. Continuing these improvements in Big East play will be the real test, but it’s hard to not be excited about his progress so far.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom