Roscoe to UNLV | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Roscoe to UNLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Fair winds and following seas as we say in the Navy, Roscoe.
He played an instrumental role in the NC game and played the game with heart and hustle.
However, in the end when the going got tough...he left. So, his memory will be a mixed bag.

Agreed.

I think we have to respect that if he thought it was in his best interests to leave, then so be it.

We're all UConn lifers on here and we sometimes forget our guys come here and play for a season or two and don't fully have the same attachment as we do from watching our whole lives. That was probably the case for Roscoe.

Kid played with heart and won a National Title and was my favorite guy the past few years - but sugar coat it however you want, he bailed on the program.

I think he'll regret leaving UConn for UNLV but I hope he has his chance to prove me wrong.

Reaction Score
Good luck Roscoe. Your contributions were very much appreciated. Hustle, effort, and D. Would take 10 more like you. Thanks for everything. Can still remember you on the waterslide at the Battle. Work hard and you will be rewarded.

Reaction Score
Really dude? You won't remember him as a national champion? That's pretty sad. I'm diappointed as anybody that he decided to turn his back on the program in these tough times, but the kid did a heck of a lot for the program and to minimize his accomplishments on the way out is just too bad. "Glue" guy at best? Jeez man, it's not like he played ten minutes a game and put up 2 and 2. You really must have selective memory when it comes to Roscoe's career at UConn. His defense and rebounding were invaluable during that tournament run. He guarded the best player on the other team nearly every game, from shooting guard to power forward, and sometimes even centers. Kris Joseph, Kawhi Leonard, Derrick Williams, Terrence Jones, Matt Howard...you name it. If you can't respect and appreciate a kid who went toe to toe with players of thsi caliber night in and night out, then I don't know what that says about you as a fan.

Some posters seem to forget that basketball is a game played on both sides of the floor. You continually rip and demean both Oriakhi and Roscoe Smith, undoubtedly two of our best five players during a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP team. They've certainly had their ups and downs individually, but you can't be like, "Those guys were both disappointments", when again they both won NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. Not to go on one of those "you don't know how good you have it..." rants, but very few fans are able to experience national championships, and the facts are, we should not only respect, but CHERISH what that 2010-11 team was able to accomplish, REGARDLESS of what happened later on in their careers.

Carry on.

Yeah REALLY DUDE........I don't need someone to tell me what "kind of fan" I am, I've known what kind of fan I am sinc ethe Yankee Conference..........you have your opinion on a guy and I have mine. That makes you a better fan because of your love for Roscoe and Alex? Funny .....I remember last year when they both played terrible basketball and they did not pour their hearts and souls into a team who struggled but instead assisted in it's early season demise with attitude issues and less than stellar play. Then they bailed........yeah they were solid in the NC year and in all reality will not be forgotten, but they didn't finsh what they came here for. They will not be held in the highest regard with KEA, Rip, Jake, Rash, Free, Ben, Emeka, Kemba, Shabazz..etc etc etc........these guys finished what they had to do unless the NBA was calling......they're real Huskies - sorry!!

caw

Reaction Score
I actually thought he was the best, at least at the end of the season. It still confuses me that Roscoe did not get the duties of guarding Royce White in the tournament this year. He was clearly better equipped for the task than was Drummond. But that is besides the point. The bottom line is that we got very little production offensively from the small forward position last season. Giffey showed some promise, but he was too hesitant. Maybe I'm being too harsh, but I thought Daniels was a wreck for most of last season. He clearly was not ready to contribute at the Big East level. It was disappointing that Roscoe's offensive game did not develop further, but I still think he brought the most to the team at that position in terms of rebounding, shotblocking, and defense.

You know, I wasn't even thinking of Daniels. You are right Roscoe was better than Daniels (though only slightly, as a 3).

I was thinking Lamb, Giffey and Roscoe. Lamb was far and away the best 3 last year. Giffey and Roscoe were close, but Roscoe did most of his work as a four. Giffey did most/all of his as a 3. They really had similar issues, both were gun shy. Giffey at least shot a good percentage (when he shot). With his height and length, Roscoe has a ton of potential, but he can't dribble well and his shot is very inconsistent.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm not sure Vegas is best place for Roscoe. Let's hope he stays out of trouble.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Looks like ill get to see Roscoe play in person in November when UNLV comes to Reno to play Nevada. After walking out of the arena in Houston last year I surely didn't expect the next time I would see Roscoe play in person would be at Lawlor Events Center in Reno, NV.

Reaction Score
I wish him luck but I think he is making a mistake. He is not a 3. He has no handle and an inconsistent shot. This is like the Kevin Freeman situation all over again. KFree thought he could play the 3 but he was just an undersized 4. Roscoe is more athletic, taller and longer than KFree was and I think if he bulked up some more and worked on his jumper he could have had a breakout year at the 4 for UConn. He would have been the #1 option in the post with a TON of playing time. Oh well, maybe he proves me wrong.

Reaction Score
I wish him luck but I think he is making a mistake. He is not a 3. He has no handle and an inconsistent shot. This is like the Kevin Freeman situation all over again. KFree thought he could play the 3 but he was just an undersized 4. Roscoe is more athletic, taller and longer than KFree was and I think if he bulked up some more and worked on his jumper he could have had a breakout year at the 4 for UConn. He would have been the #1 option in the post with a TON of playing time. Oh well, maybe he proves me wrong.

I'm not sure I would say Roscoe is more athletic than KFree but I agree with everything else. I don't see the big deal with playing as a stretch 4, if he worked on his ballhandling and shooting ability he could show off those skills while still playing the 4spot in college. It's not like he was going to be asked to be Jeff A. We're probably gonna see DeAndre have to play some minutes there this year and nobody is gonna confuse him with being a rugged PF.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I would have liked him to stay, he appeared from the outside to be a good teammate and had the potential to be the Ricky Moore of the frontcourt if he worked at it. It's clear their was a chicken and beer level of locker room dischord last year. I can't blame anyone who wanted a change of scenery, but I respect the heck out those that had other options who chose to stay and fight. Let hope they take it up a level next year and make their coach proud.

Reaction Score
I've always found it exceedingly easy to root for a team named the "running rebels." Awesome name.

Reaction Score
Per Jeff Goodman on twitter

“@GoodmanCBS: UConn transfer Roscoe Smith has committed to UNLV, his father told CBSSports.”
Good luck To RS. Played well enough to help us win an NC. He needs to do what he needs to do.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Any reason to think he's any more likely to get into trouble than any other 20 year old?

Yeah, he thinks he's a better player than he is. Vegas isn't the place for dreamers.

Reaction Score
Just another Curtis Kelly or Marcus White. Showed a little flash but is not a stud and likely will be "just another guy" on any other team. Go play at UNLV and have a good time. We have to move on. I wish Cleveland Melvin did not de-commit after we got Roscoe as I still prefer him as a player. What was he thinking going DePaul?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
wish him all the best, not expecting to hear much about him going forward

"glory days"

Reaction Score
I was a big fan of RS and he will thrive at UNLV. Why you may ask?-because he is has few years under his belt- he will be a great get for them.
I wish him the best and understand he did what was best for him as a person. He seemed like a really good kid to me. He left with class and without all the BS that AO dragged up at the end of his UCONN days. I thank him for his part in our NC.

That said- I could really care less. UConn fans are in for a few bumpy years and we will have plenty to worry about before I give two thoughts how he is doing at UNLV. You transfer- I don't care anymore. I don't want you to get hit by a bus or anything- but don't care.

Reaction Score
Here is my analogy of the whole mess. The Wildebeast (Uconn) gets ravaged by the Lions (NCAA) and is left for the vultures to pick at their bones (all the outside sources picking off our players). Feels like it to me. a lost season coming up.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Especially if Smith gets his waiver. Thanks Scoe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom