Roscoe to UNLV | The Boneyard

Roscoe to UNLV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Per Jeff Goodman on twitter

“@GoodmanCBS: UConn transfer Roscoe Smith has committed to UNLV, his father told CBSSports.”

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Per Jeff Goodman on twitter

“@GoodmanCBS: UConn transfer Roscoe Smith has committed to UNLV, his father told CBSSports.”

We'll win with the Rebels of U-N-L-V!

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Good for Roscoe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Good luck 'scoe. I'm sorry to see you go.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
At least we're unlikely to ever play against him

Reaction Score
He seems like a good kid so I hope this works out for him, but I won't be following UNLV games any time soon. I can't tell you how much more I respect guys like Boat and Bazz for staying loyal, and playing for pride. They know it's an honor to play for a powerhouse like UConn and HOF JC, and didn't let the NCAA dictate where they go to school.

Reaction Score
Not too surprised. Did he even take any other visits?

caw

Reaction Score
Does he have to sit out next year? Seems like that would be best for him, if he wants playing time. I can't imagine Bennett, Moser or Birch sitting for Roscoe. He would give them good depth at the frontcourt if he plays this year though.

Reaction Score
He's dead to me. I rooted like crazy for him. He was a glue guy that did little things you need. Will be surprised if he looks back on this as a good move.

I choose to remember his frosh season.

Reaction Score
I'm with rip7774 to a point......not quite "dead" with me but already forgotten......not even sure I will remember him as a NC??? You choose the school like a marriage - the good and the bad - he bailed. Can't respect the man for that sorry. And I could see if he was a real good player and needed the exposure of another year with a team who will be on a tourney run with visibility to the nation but c'mon, he's a "glue" guy at best. Can't dribble, horrible passer and not as good a shooter as advertised. Should have stayed at Storrs and worked to his strength which is rebounding, defending and lunchpail stuff. UNLV has already recruited better athletes than him so he's in the same boat as this year!

Nice kid I guess and won't root against him but won't hurt to see him with 15 minutes a game either and a 5/4 line..................

Reaction Score
I'm with rip7774 to a point......not quite "dead" with me but already forgotten......not even sure I will remember him as a NC??? You choose the school like a marriage - the good and the bad - he bailed. Can't respect the man for that sorry. And I could see if he was a real good player and needed the exposure of another year with a team who will be on a tourney run with visibility to the nation but c'mon, he's a "glue" guy at best. Can't dribble, horrible passer and not as good a shooter as advertised. Should have stayed at Storrs and worked to his strength which is rebounding, defending and lunchpail stuff. UNLV has already recruited better athletes than him so he's in the same boat as this year!

Nice kid I guess and won't root against him but won't hurt to see him with 15 minutes a game either and a 5/4 line..................

Really dude? You won't remember him as a national champion? That's pretty sad. I'm diappointed as anybody that he decided to turn his back on the program in these tough times, but the kid did a heck of a lot for the program and to minimize his accomplishments on the way out is just too bad. "Glue" guy at best? Jeez man, it's not like he played ten minutes a game and put up 2 and 2. You really must have selective memory when it comes to Roscoe's career at UConn. His defense and rebounding were invaluable during that tournament run. He guarded the best player on the other team nearly every game, from shooting guard to power forward, and sometimes even centers. Kris Joseph, Kawhi Leonard, Derrick Williams, Terrence Jones, Matt Howard...you name it. If you can't respect and appreciate a kid who went toe to toe with players of thsi caliber night in and night out, then I don't know what that says about you as a fan.

Some posters seem to forget that basketball is a game played on both sides of the floor. You continually rip and demean both Oriakhi and Roscoe Smith, undoubtedly two of our best five players during a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP team. They've certainly had their ups and downs individually, but you can't be like, "Those guys were both disappointments", when again they both won NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. Not to go on one of those "you don't know how good you have it..." rants, but very few fans are able to experience national championships, and the facts are, we should not only respect, but CHERISH what that 2010-11 team was able to accomplish, REGARDLESS of what happened later on in their careers.

Carry on.

Reaction Score
Really dude? You won't remember him as a national champion? That's pretty sad. I'm diappointed as anybody that he decided to turn his back on the program in these tough times, but the kid did a heck of a lot for the program and to minimize his accomplishments on the way out is just too bad. "Glue" guy at best? Jeez man, it's not like he played ten minutes a game and put up 2 and 2. You really must have selective memory when it comes to Roscoe's career at UConn. His defense and rebounding were invaluable during that tournament run. He guarded the best player on the other team nearly every game, from shooting guard to power forward, and sometimes even centers. Kris Joseph, Kawhi Leonard, Derrick Williams, Terrence Jones, Matt Howard...you name it. If you can't respect and appreciate a kid who went toe to toe with players of thsi caliber night in and night out, then I don't know what that says about you as a fan.

Some posters seem to forget that basketball is a game played on both sides of the floor. You continually rip and demean both Oriakhi and Roscoe Smith, undoubtedly two of our best five players during a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP team. They've certainly had their ups and downs individually, but you can't be like, "Those guys were both disappointments", when again they both won NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. Not to go on one of those "you don't know how good you have it..." rants, but very few fans are able to experience national championships, and the facts are, we should not only respect, but CHERISH what that 2010-11 team was able to accomplish, REGARDLESS of what happened later on in their careers.

Carry on.

Hey, that's his opinion. Roscoe turned his back on the program in his best interests. And he is a glue guy, not a star player. He'll have an opportunity to play in the NCAA's next year, but he won't likely be a different player unless he drastically improves his game this offseason. He's a four year guy. Honestly, I don't know why he decided to transfer. Best of luck to Scoe.

Reaction Score
Hey, that's his opinion. Roscoe turned his back on the program in his best interests. And he is a glue guy, not a star player. He'll have an opportunity to play in the NCAA's next year, but he won't likely be a different player unless he drastically improves his game this offseason. He's a four year guy. Honestly, I don't know why he decided to transfer. Best of luck to Scoe.

I'm not saying he can't have an opinion, or express disappointment in his decision. I too, thought Roscoe should have stuck it out at UConn because I think that would have been best for his career. But I think calling him a "glue guy" is selling him short. No, he wasn't a star, but basketball is a team sport, and without the hard nosed role players like Smith and Oriakhi, Kemba Walker and Jeremy Lamb wouldn't have gotten the chance to do their thing. Forget winning a national championship, because I'm not even sure the 2010-11 Huskies make the tournament without Roscoe. They were thin up front, Roscoe came in under the assumption that he was going to play the three, but yet he played the four nearly the entire season. Over his two years he was as selfless a player as anybody could have hoped for, which is why it surprised me that he decided to leave.

The bottom line is that although Roscoe and Oriakhi won't be held in the same regard as guys like Adrien, Khalid, etc., they still contributed massively to this program during their stints here, never got into trouble off the court, and kept their grades up. I have a lot of respect for Roscoe and Oriakhi, even if I disagree with their decisions to leave.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying he can't have an opinion, or express disappointment in his decision. I too, thought Roscoe should have stuck it out at UConn because I think that would have been best for his career. But I think calling him a "glue guy" is selling him short. No, he wasn't a star, but basketball is a team sport, and without the hard nosed role players like Smith and Oriakhi, Kemba Walker and Jeremy Lamb wouldn't have gotten the chance to do their thing. Forget winning a national championship, because I'm not even sure the 2010-11 Huskies make the tournament without Roscoe. They were thin up front, Roscoe came in under the assumption that he was going to play the three, but yet he played the four nearly the entire season. Over his two years he was as selfless a player as anybody could have hoped for, which is why it surprised me that he decided to leave.

The bottom line is that although Roscoe and Oriakhi won't be held in the same regard as guys like Adrien, Khalid, etc., they still contributed massively to this program during their stints here, never got into trouble off the court, and kept their grades up. I have a lot of respect for Roscoe and Oriakhi, even if I disagree with their decisions to leave.

I agree with everything you say, except 'Scoe was a glue guy. He did the dirty work. He did all the little things. He seemed like a guy who loved being a Husky.:(

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Fair winds and following seas as we say in the Navy, Roscoe.
He played an instrumental role in the NC game and played the game with heart and hustle.
However, in the end when the going got tough...he left. So, his memory will be a mixed bag.

caw

Reaction Score
Roscoe was very good defensively, but never put it together offensively. I'd go as far as to say he was the worst of the three SF's last year.

I hope he can become the SF he thinks he is, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Reaction Score
I agree with everything you say, except 'Scoe was a glue guy. He did the dirty work. He did all the little things. He seemed like a guy who loved being a Husky.:(

Fair enough, it may just be that you and I have different definitions of what a 'glue guy' is. If you meant it as a compliment, then I agree with you.

Reaction Score
Roscoe was very good defensively, but never put it together offensively. I'd go as far as to say he was the worst of the three SF's last year.

I hope he can become the SF he thinks he is, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I actually thought he was the best, at least at the end of the season. It still confuses me that Roscoe did not get the duties of guarding Royce White in the tournament this year. He was clearly better equipped for the task than was Drummond. But that is besides the point. The bottom line is that we got very little production offensively from the small forward position last season. Giffey showed some promise, but he was too hesitant. Maybe I'm being too harsh, but I thought Daniels was a wreck for most of last season. He clearly was not ready to contribute at the Big East level. It was disappointing that Roscoe's offensive game did not develop further, but I still think he brought the most to the team at that position in terms of rebounding, shotblocking, and defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom