Roll Call... All Veterans... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Roll Call... All Veterans...

Reaction Score
USAF - Security Police 1966-1970 Phu Cat, Vietnam March 1968 - 1969
Did you ever attend Hartford Community college and hang around with 5 or 6 of us Vets and a guy we called Cane because he was badly wounded and walked with a cane? I am avoiding using any names even first names. I was at Phu Cat at the mortar attack of June 1969, were you at the Feb 1969 Sapper attack? The June attack was my last day at Phu Cat!

Reaction Score
Thanks to everyone who posted here. All the best.

veterans day.jpg

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
USCG 1969-1973. Boot camp in Cape May, NJ, electronic training in Governor's Island, NY then stationed in Manasquan, NJ as a Telephone Tech. Lived on Fort Hancock in Sandy Hook, NJ.
Ha, I worked as a life guard on the state beach in Sandy Hook in 1963... Nice duty! Ever get up to Twin Lights?

Reaction Score
Ha, I worked as a life guard on the state beach in Sandy Hook in 1963... Nice duty! Ever get up to Twin Lights?
That was a great area and yes I did get up to Twin Lights. I went back there a few years ago to relive those times and found it so totally different there almost was no trace of the things I remember. One of my biggest memories was the first time I heard the deep loud horn sound and looked up to see an aircraft carrier rounding the point with its deck above the tops of the trees!

Reaction Score
I was at Phu Cat until summer of 1969 until I was "deported" to a hospital in Japan via NhaTrang and Cam Rhan . Worked on C7-Carbous , F100, F4cs and occasional stray F101 Voodoo that accidently landed there. Did C130 s at Langley and F100s at Myrtle Beach AFB SC. Avionics tech.
Sounds like we were doing the same thing at about the same time and place. I did instruments tech school at Chanute AFB and first assignment was to Tan Son Nhut from fall of 68 to fall of 69. We had a couple of squadrons of RF-4Cs, a bunch of C-123 H models (including the White Whale that ferried brass around), a couple of RB-57s, a handful of Goonies set up for electronic servalence (think primative computers and a drift meter), a couple of T-38s used mostly by brass to get in flight hours to keep flight pay, some guard unit C-119 gun ships that for some reason they passed maintenance on to us regulars, some O-1 and 2s, and the occasional chopper. We had a few RF-101s and RF-100s, which disappeared at some point while I was there. The only Caribou I worked was a transient with a bad compass - the pilot didn't want to hang around Tan Son Nhut and elected to find his way home using his whiskey compass. Good decision since we didn't have Caribou parts on hand.

Reaction Score
Sounds like we were doing the same thing at about the same time and place. I did instruments tech school at Chanute AFB and first assignment was to Tan Son Nhut from fall of 68 to fall of 69. We had a couple of squadrons of RF-4Cs, a bunch of C-123 H models (including the White Whale that ferried brass around), a couple of RB-57s, a handful of Goonies set up for electronic servalence (think primative computers and a drift meter), a couple of T-38s used mostly by brass to get in flight hours to keep flight pay, some guard unit C-119 gun ships that for some reason they passed maintenance on to us regulars, some O-1 and 2s, and the occasional chopper. We had a few RF-101s and RF-100s, which disappeared at some point while I was there. The only Caribou I worked was a transient with a bad compass - the pilot didn't want to hang around Tan Son Nhut and elected to find his way home using his whiskey compass. Good decision since we didn't have Caribou parts on hand.
I misused the term Avionics. I was an Airborne Nav Technician. Keesler AFB 6-7 months Tech school.Worked on APN-59 search RADAR , TACAN, OMINI , ALTIMETERS I recall APN-22. The C130 - still had the ARN-6 RangeDirection finder that zoned in on a AM radio station and there still were some direction beacons transmitters. The C-7 CARIBOU had really old stuff. I fixed Caribous for the Bou Detachment what today would have been considered spec forces. We did not ask questions they did not offer much. I know they resupplied the Greenie Beanies and gave rides to ARVN Rangers. I did bench work first year specialized on APN-59 but after that did a lot of flight-line maitenence especially in Vietnam. PULL black boxes replace black boxes. Sometimes trouble shoot guts such as replace vacuum tubes or pull circuits board and replace.
In Vietnam I did some crossover like R&R remove &I replace gauges but never was trained to pull out the guts of gauges as I was with RADAR. Is "whiskey compass" same as what we called "Dead Reconning"? LOL,

Reaction Score
I misused the term Avionics. I was an Airborne Nav Technician. Keesler AFB 6-7 months Tech school.Worked on APN-59 search RADAR , TACAN, OMINI , ALTIMETERS I recall APN-22. The C130 - still had the ARN-6 RangeDirection finder that zoned in on a AM radio station and there still were some direction beacons transmitters. The C-7 CARIBOU had really old stuff. I fixed Caribous for the Bou Detachment what today would have been considered spec forces. We did not ask questions they did not offer much. I know they resupplied the Greenie Beanies and gave rides to ARVN Rangers. I did bench work first year specialized on APN-59 but after that did a lot of flight-line maitenence especially in Vietnam. PULL black boxes replace black boxes. Sometimes trouble shoot guts such as replace vacuum tubes or pull circuits board and replace.
In Vietnam I did some crossover like R&R remove &I replace gauges but never was trained to pull out the guts of gauges as I was with RADAR. Is "whiskey compass" same as what we called "Dead Reconning"? LOL,
My title was Aircraft Instrument Tech to which was added Avionics Tech after a getting a 3 week break from Nam going to Clark AFB to get specific F-4 avionics systems training. I had a lovely time but the avionics on the RF-4C we're significantly different from the non-reconn models. Both had nice integrated systems but many different inputs.

Instruments was a lot of remove and replace once the bad part was found, which could be the indicator, the input sensor(s) or in the wiring. Wiring was the worst as airplanes flex, vibrate, leak oil and hydraulic fluid, and harnesses can get burned. With the integrated systems there were many heated discussions between the instrument, radar, nav, and comm shops as to just whose problem it was. When no resolution was found there were a couple of McDonnell Douglas tech reps to help sort things out. If it was a wiring issue requiring major harness replacement they took the lead to get that done.

I didn't work them but was a big fan of the C-7, with their funny little tail and the ability to take off and land on short and bad runways. Not big but could get people and cargo into spots even a C-130 couldn't.

Reaction Score
My title was Aircraft Instrument Tech to which was added Avionics Tech after a getting a 3 week break from Nam going to Clark AFB to get specific F-4 avionics systems training. I had a lovely time but the avionics on the RF-4C we're significantly different from the non-reconn models. Both had nice integrated systems but many different inputs.

Instruments was a lot of remove and replace once the bad part was found, which could be the indicator, the input sensor(s) or in the wiring. Wiring was the worst as airplanes flex, vibrate, leak oil and hydraulic fluid, and harnesses can get burned. With the integrated systems there were many heated discussions between the instrument, radar, nav, and comm shops as to just whose problem it was. When no resolution was found there were a couple of McDonnell Douglas tech reps to help sort things out. If it was a wiring issue requiring major harness replacement they took the lead to get that done.

I didn't work them but was a big fan of the C-7, with their funny little tail and the ability to take off and land on short and bad runways. Not big but could get people and cargo into spots even a C-130 couldn't.
Wiring harness problems were hell to solve and fix. I had gone TDY to Wright Pat and got a rare opportunity to do some minor work on what were the first AC130's that were being hybridized from regular Herky Birds. After that they started coming out as AC130' from the factory. They had to but openings in the side for the guns so hydrolics and Com and Nav wiring had to be moved. Our TACAN antennae wring ran by there and up to the tail. I never used my electronics training after I was promoted to civilian. GI Bill got me to return to school complete undergrad and even had evough GI Bill left to get me through 3/4 of grad school. Business Economics and Insurance major. Did you use your technical training after you got out? PS There is a "Caribou Assoociation " open to anyone who ever had any connection to the C-7 Caribou. $10 a year we get a news letter and there website and stories and pictures are posted. Sometimes articles are published by guys "you" served with.

Reaction Score
I did not use my tech training outside the as such. Went back to college and got GI Bill for the remaining 2.5 years of undergrad (psych and anthropology) and then all 3 years of law school. However, I went into the having hardly touched a tool of any kind and left knowing enough to be able to fix or build a lot of stuff for a lifetime.

Reaction Score
USN Submarines 1982-2005; Sorry for the late reply, but I am recovering from total hip replacement, but still teaching in-person for dual credit calculus-based Physics and dual credit chemistry, and coaching academic teams.
Priorities. Hips are the easiest replacements. ;^) At least mine was…

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom