Rock bottom? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rock bottom?

Reaction Score
not an excuse, we keep building these seasons up and shiite happens and the fan base becomes ruined. So if JA were to leave, we can still expect to be a top 25 team? OK
Jalen Adams is going nowhere, so let's just put that to rest right now

Reaction Score
Ok. We all expected a fall off from calhoun. But this is wayyyy beyond a fall off. If Calhoun represented the top of the mountain we are barely even on the mountain anymore.

We just lost to ecu. We've lost to Wagner northeastern etc. we're been an ordinary upper-middle of the pack team for years now. The same conference you are bashing

Smu and Cincy are in the same spot we are and bring in much less talent than we do. They're both in the top 25. Why are they able to destroy us every year?

Its unrealistic to expect us to be where we were in the Jc era. But where we are right now is a place we all would have thought would be unimaginable 5 years ago.

Ollie has been masterful? Come on. I don't want him fired but that is so far out of touch with reality, I really hope you were being sarcastic.
Way beyond fall, we won a national championship, how many coaches have won a national championship in the last 25 years?

Wake up.

Reaction Score
We are not a top program, exactly expectations are scewd.

My expectation is to be a top 25 program which we will be next year with our players coming back
from injuries.

Never going to be a top 5 or 10 program again now that Calhoun left and we are in the American.

We need to be realistic, Uconn was a NOTHING before Calhoun came, we are not UNC, DUKE, Kentucky, UCLA, or Kansas.

We are not, we were because of Calhoun, good luck finding the greatest coach of all time again, and yea then get in a top 5 conference as well.

This is pathetic. You think like a loser.

Reaction Score
Bonz he benefited from Calhoun players like Bazz, Boat, Daniels, and Giffey. Don'd kid yourself that part is becoming clearer by the day. The expectation is to always beat teams like ECU, Wagner, and Northeastern no matter how many guys are injured. This is UCONN, and UCONN basketball has expectations. The constant lowering of expectations by a big part of the fan base for Ollie and the team is crazy. That is how we end up like Georgetown and St. John's. This is how empire's fall. We are not being vigilant enough and only the blind can't see what is happening.

I've thought it for a while, but I'm becoming more and more convinced that JC was doing the scouting and game planning during that tournament run.

Ollie made a lot of great in game adjustments so I'm not giving Jc all the credit.

But the KO that was coaching in the 14 tournament is a man that nobody has seen since.

I would very much like for him to come back.

Reaction Score
Right, realistic, you could only imagine how far I have risen in my professional life.
You're not a true fan if you think our ceiling is a top 25 program. That's literally loser-talk. Your fan card deserves to be revoked.

and newsflash, we've been a top 25 program once under Ollie.

Reaction Score
All these people defending this season and Ollie in general need only to look at his 3.1 million dollar salary. He is a top 10 paid coach in the nation. His teams year in and year out should be top 10 to justify that salary. We haven't been close to a top 10 program ever since he's been here. Everyone else in that list minus Dixon (since he's not at Pitt anymore) and Crean, never strays very far outside the top 10. Where is the disconnect??

NCAA Basketball Coaches Salaries - What Top Guys Make

Reaction Score
I am not accepting mediocrity, I think we should be contender every year. I am just accepting the fact that the program is walking a thin line right now talent wise. We have a great nucleus of players, but zero depth at any position.
Next season if healthy we'll have a junior pg top 25 recruit, a sophomore pg McDonald's all-American recruit, a freshman pg top 35 recruit, a junior sf top 35 recruit, a sophomore sf top 100 recruit, a sophomore pf top 50 recruit, and a junior pf/center top 100 recruit. That's a lot of talent IMO. Throw in Vital, hopefully a healthy Diarra and maybe some contributions from the other freshmen and I think we should expect a successful season, dare I say the expectation should be a top 25 team.

Reaction Score
Next season if healthy we'll have a junior pg top 25 recruit, a sophomore pg McDonald's all-American recruit, a freshman pg top 35 recruit, a junior sf top 35 recruit, a sophomore sf top 100 recruit, a sophomore pf top 50 recruit, and a junior pf/center top 100 recruit. That's a lot of talent IMO. Throw in Vital, hopefully a healthy Diarra and maybe some contributions from the other freshmen and I think we should expect a successful season, dare I say the expectation should be a top 25 team.
if we don't end the season in the top 25 next year it will be a failure.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Yup and I should call the next super bowl but that ain't happening

Reaction Score

My only issue here is Diarra and Gilbert got practically zero (in Diarra's case, actually zero) minutes in terms of court time. They're just as much a wild card as anyone else. Larrier hasn't played 8 games of college basketball in two years. A couple of those other guys haven't done almost anything yet (minus Adams). I mean sure the raw talent is there - but this team isn't close to being a top 25 team until some major questions are answered and even then - there are still... more questions. Big men in the middle, can the coaching staff connect with these kids, do some of the underperforming chronic underperformers figure it out... I mean I'm not anywhere near ready to say this team's going to turn around.

Better? I mean they'd better be. But how much better? I honestly don't know.

Reaction Score
We are not a top program, exactly expectations are scewd.

My expectation is to be a top 25 program which we will be next year with our players coming back
from injuries.

Never going to be a top 5 or 10 program again now that Calhoun left and we are in the American.

We need to be realistic, Uconn was a NOTHING before Calhoun came, we are not UNC, DUKE, Kentucky, UCLA, or Kansas.

We are not, we were because of Calhoun, good luck finding the greatest coach of all time again, and yea then get in a top 5 conference as well.
I dont understand your stance at all. You're defending Ollie for winning a national title but blaming us for expecting it again? You say he's a championship caliber coach but we should expect to be mediocre because that is the new normal? Well if thats the case the new normal sucks and our fan base has every right to be upset. Remember this board defending this program as a blue blood? Remember posters saying the conference wont affect us because Ollie is recruiting at a high level? Now both those narratives have flipped on their ear and we are now back to being URI. K

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Love it, become a top 25 team, what happened to a top 10, top 5, THE TOP... C'MON.. STOP accepting mediocrity..
So if we say it will you feel better. OK! I'll say it. I won't accept mediocrity.

Reaction Score
So if we say it will you feel better. OK! I'll say it. I won't accept mediocrity.
if you're confused about the types of people Athlete is talking about, go look at EBronze's posts. He's saying our ceiling should be top 25 and we shouldn't expect anything better and because of that Ollie is a great coach

Reaction Score

yes, on paper we look pretty good,but I am going to remain cautiously optimistic.

Reaction Score
Since we joined the AAC our inability to win on the road in buildings that are at least half empty against teams that are mediocre at best is a big indictment of the coaching staff. Ollie needs to get this turned around next year. We aren't trying to win at Michigan State or UNC with packed houses, lots of noise and and facing teams with talent.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
This is pathetic. You think like a loser.
I'm not sure any fan is a winner or loser. Well maybe fans are losers in that they need to find something outside themselves, something they have no control over, to put so much energy and passion into. Winners are the guys making real statements in life by changing the world in a positive way. I'm not sure posting in a forum meets this qualification.

Yikes I'm a double loser. By both yours and my standards.

Reaction Score
We haven't had a healthy team this entire season. Ollie had a post season band, recruiting restrictions, constant rumors about leaving for the nba, then this season. In that he's won a nc and conference tournament. He's safe. Next year purvis and brimah are gone and that should help. Don't like saying it but it should be true. Ollie has only been a coach for what, 5 years? We have 6.5 players tonight that were healthy. They made 10+ threes

We had a completely healthy team and lost to Wagner and northeastern at home.....

We've had our fair share of challenges. But so does every team. Other teams in he conference face the same challenges with less talent and consistently outperform us overall (and crush us when we play them..smu/Cincy)

Smu plays 6 players, is in the same conference, and has a second year coach who also replaced a (lessor) legend. They seem to be doing ok.

There's a difference between recognizing the challenges and reducing expectations and just making excuses. If we were 25-5 right now and people were still bitc**ng then that would be dumb.

But we've been a relatively average aac team for years now. Even with the injuries, we have 3 seniors, a stud sophomore, two good freshman who have outperformed expectations, and two high upside role players. That should be more than enough to consistently dominate the teams in this conference.

Instead, we lose to them constantly.

Reaction Score
He'll be definitely a top draft pick with AB for the NBA no doubt! I suspect his presence or absence next year won't make much of a difference if he is surrounded by a bad cast of characters. He cannot carry this team alone.

Top draft pick? AB drafted? Ur delusional man. Boat was better than JA with twice the athleticism of JA and he didn't even get drafted. AB doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of sniffing the NBA.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
if you're confused about the types of people Athlete is talking about, go look at EBronze's posts. He's saying our ceiling should be top 25 and we shouldn't expect anything better and because of that Ollie is a great coach
I've read his posts. He's qualifying that position. And even if you are perfectly correct what of it? He like all of us are passionate fans posting on a website none of us except one person are bank rolling. I respect most opinions being offered, but none of us are the real shakers when it comes to UConn. We're not even footnotes in the scheme of the events that are playing out. Well maybe my screaming and losing my voice at games had a little impact. And certainly if the fan base checks out that could kill the program. And certainly no one wants to watch losing programs year after year. Except today I ran into a Cubs fan here in North Carolina. I gave him a shout out. Some fans, the ones I consider winners, stick with their teams even after many years of losing.

I've supported teams all my life that never won it all. One came close three times. One came close once. The other four not close at all. And then things turned around for me. I, like all of you, love winning championships. I hate this season and seasons like it that I suffered in the past. I'm just not going to let those feelings define me. I'm sure you and most of the others complaining won't either.
I don't think we're really different in that respect.

Reaction Score
Get over it people, this is not Uconn with the greatest men's basketball college coach to ever live with Calhoun and we are no longer in the big east.

This program was going to fall no matter what considering greatest coach leaving, it's Uconn (not UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke) the program was poor before Calhoun, all those others were strong for the last 70 years.

Not to mention we are now in the American.

Ollie has done a masterful job since starting at Uconn as a head coach, masterful.
Kook

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Between the championship in 2014, recruiting, and injuries, Ollie and staff get a pass this year.
However...
I hate having to keep saying "wait 'til next year", but if we are healthy, next year truly is the gauge for whether we have the right personnel on the bench. I mean, we have the potential to have some serious talent and depth at guard next year.

Reaction Score
All these people who want Ollie gone, who will you bring in? Who will bring in top 15 classes year after year and won a nc and a conference tourney in 3? Ollie inherited a mess and then this season with the injuries did bring it to rock bottom. But Ollie is not the reason. The players need to put in work in the offseason, bb iq as well
Top 15 classes with the worst season in 30 years might tell us something. It certainly suggests we should be able to put enough key players on the court to beat Wagner and Northeastern. No, something beyond injuries is at work here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom