Rock bottom? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rock bottom?

Reaction Score
At what point do we stop building in excuses for seasons that haven't even begun? As long as we're doing that, we can drop the charade of being an elite program.

not an excuse, we keep building these seasons up and shiite happens and the fan base becomes ruined. So if JA were to leave, we can still expect to be a top 25 team? OK

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
All these people who want Ollie gone, who will you bring in? Who will bring in top 15 classes year after year and won a nc and a conference tourney in 3? Ollie inherited a mess and then this season with the injuries did bring it to rock bottom. But Ollie is not the reason. The players need to put in work in the offseason, bb iq as well
Brad Stevens, we could and would still attract a top coach... please stop saying he inherited a mess. Was it perfect, no, but a mess, hardly.. yes, he motivated year 1, and it carried into 14.. but come on, it's time for all of us to take off the rose colored glasses.. after next year there shouldn't be anymore free passes.. losing to ECU is a low point for a program who has worked so hard to build national prominence.. bash my post all you want, disagree, what ever you need to say , say it but something has to give and soon..

Reaction Score
Get over it people, this is not Uconn with the greatest men's basketball college coach to ever live with Calhoun and we are no longer in the big east.

This program was going to fall no matter what considering greatest coach leaving, it's Uconn (not UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke) the program was poor before Calhoun, all those others were strong for the last 70 years.

Not to mention we are now in the American.

Ollie has done a masterful job since starting at Uconn as a head coach, masterful.

Reaction Score
I've gotten cr@p thrown at me for pointing out my concerns the entire season. I was called a troll for pointing out it's our worst team in 30 years and I was even called William Shea for being judgemental when we came back from 17 down to beat Memphis, as if that fixed any of our problems. I won't sit idly by when I see major problems, we are UConn and we should expect great basketball. I hope to god Ollie figures it out and is the guy but another disappointing season or two and we have to start considering other options. I am in no way of the opinion that there is no way we can do better than Ollie as most other posters seem to believe. We are still UConn and we can attract better than most everyone. I will stress again, I'm rooting for KO and think he can turn it around.

It is absolutely astonishing to me how so many hardcore fans have become so complacent and accepting of our constant embarrassing performances.

We just lost to freakin ecu and poster after poster keep making the same old excuses and blah blah blah.

If this was a once a season result then fine. It happens. But, sadly, this has become the norm rather than the exception.

We have games like this alllll the time now. I don't know who is to blame. But we need to fix this asap.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
not an excuse, we keep building these seasons up and shiite happens and the fan base becomes ruined. So if JA were to leave, we can still expect to be a top 25 team? OK
Love it, become a top 25 team, what happened to a top 10, top 5, THE TOP... C'MON.. STOP accepting mediocrity..

Reaction Score
Get over it people, this is not Uconn with the greatest men's basketball college coach to ever live with Calhoun and we are no longer in the big east.

This program was going to fall no matter what considering greatest coach leaving, it's Uconn (not UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke) the program was poor before Calhoun, all those others were strong for the last 70 years.

Ollie has done a masterful job since starting at Uconn as a head coach, masterful.
It's extremely sad that you have such low expectations. We're going to miss the tournament 2 of his 5 years while playing in the AAC. It's not like we have to go through the ACC regular season schedule

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score

Masterful, good one

Reaction Score
Le
Ollie, like all of his teams, seem to have a lot of potential. Aside from one magical run, though, the results have fallen flat.
let's just throw out a National Championship which is done by just about, ahhh, maybe 10 other programs over the last 20 years.

First year was great!!

Last year was solid!!

One bad year when a Daniels decided to leave early, this year is on point considering all the injuries.

Name me one team with losing 2 starters, 3 rotational players, and a few games missing their best player who doesn't have multiple HS All Americans on their team that is having a good season.

Wake up.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Brad Stevens, we could and would still attract a top coach... please stop saying he inherited a mess. Was it perfect, no, but a mess, hardly.. yes, he motivated year 1, and it carried into 14.. but come on, it's time for all of us to take off the rose colored glasses.. after next year there shouldn't be anymore free passes.. losing to ECU is a low point for a program who has worked so hard to build national prominence.. bash my post all you want, disagree, what ever you need to say , say it but something has to give and soon..
We haven't had a healthy team this entire season. Ollie had a post season band, recruiting restrictions, constant rumors about leaving for the nba, then this season. In that he's won a nc and conference tournament. He's safe. Next year purvis and brimah are gone and that should help. Don't like saying it but it should be true. Ollie has only been a coach for what, 5 years? We have 6.5 players tonight that were healthy. They made 10+ threes

H

huskymagic

People's expectations are beyond bizarre on this website at times, beyond.

Ollie has done a masterful job since becoming head coach, yes masterful.

Wake up people, Ollie is a god sent, so thankful for another great coach after the one and only Calhoun.

Bonz he benefited from Calhoun players like Bazz, Boat, Daniels, and Giffey. Don'd kid yourself that part is becoming clearer by the day. The expectation is to always beat teams like ECU, Wagner, and Northeastern no matter how many guys are injured. This is UCONN, and UCONN basketball has expectations. The constant lowering of expectations by a big part of the fan base for Ollie and the team is crazy. That is how we end up like Georgetown and St. John's. This is how empire's fall. We are not being vigilant enough and only the blind can't see what is happening.

Reaction Score
It's extremely sad that you have such low expectations. We're going to miss the tournament 2 of his 5 years while playing in the AAC. It's not like we have to go through the ACC regular season schedule
He's had one poor year, this year is obviously not his fault, what are you watching?

The talent on this team is not as good as Cincy, SMU, Houston, Memphis or a tournament team.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
I'm not giving up until we play our final seconds of the season. We have been rock bottom before and climbed out of the hole. We got blown out by Louisville the year we won it all and we responded. If anyone can right the ship it's KO. I believe in him and these players. With no Vital, a half a Jalen, and Rodney with a sore finger, you can't expect much. We were not going to play our tails off for this game that has no meaning at this poiny risking further injury. We need to be healthy for the tournament games. Those games will get us to the tourney. I could care less about the regular season at this point. Now if we were healthy tonight, winning this game would be a must. BUT there is no sense in leaving it all on the floor for this game with our star guard playing through pain. We need him for Sunday and the tourney. Just forget this game and move on. What's done is done. We can only look ahead and fix our weaknesses.

Reaction Score
Go hire something else, watch what happens....
Bonz he benefited from Calhoun players like Bazz, Boat, Daniels, and Giffey. Don'd kid yourself that part is becoming clearer by the day. The expectation is to always beat teams like ECU, Wagner, and Northeastern no matter how many guys are injured. This is UCONN, and UCONN basketball has expectations. The constant lowering of expectations by a big part of the fan base for Ollie and the team is crazy. That is how we end up like Georgetown and St. John's. This is how empire's fall. We are not being vigilant enough and only the blind can't see what is happening.

Reaction Score
Love it, become a top 25 team, what happened to a top 10, top 5, THE TOP... C'MON.. STOP accepting mediocrity..

I am not accepting mediocrity, I think we should be contender every year. I am just accepting the fact that the program is walking a thin line right now talent wise. We have a great nucleus of players, but zero depth at any position.

Reaction Score
Where's he going to leave to. Highly doubt he's transferring or going to play in Europe.

Reaction Score
Huskymagic the empire fell once Calhoun left and we were moved to the American conference.

Are you people living in 2009?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

yup. we're terrible. and the worst part isn't our talent level, but our lack of effort. the lethargy we display is amazing at times. i stopped going to games after watching a game last year at XL vs Temple in which players consistently jogged up and down the court. it's embarrassing.

Reaction Score
I wonder how much dialogue there is between Calhoun and Ollie during the season.
And please don't let that comment be answered by a Chief retort followed by 30 people bitchin at Chief.

Reaction Score
He'll be definitely a top draft pick with AB for the NBA no doubt! I suspect his presence or absence next year won't make much of a difference if he is surrounded by a bad cast of characters. He cannot carry this team alone.

Reaction Score
He's had one poor year, this year is obviously not his fault, what are you watching?

The talent on this team is not as good as Cincy, SMU, Houston, Memphis or a tournament team.

And who's fault is that? Why are you comparing us to any of those schools? Yes, we lost two starters, but the whole point of being a top program is that you can withstand some blows to graduation, the draft, and injuries.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
We haven't had a healthy team this entire season. Ollie had a post season band, recruiting restrictions, constant rumors about leaving for the nba, then this season. In that he's won a nc and conference tournament. He's safe. Next year purvis and brimah are gone and that should help. Don't like saying it but it should be true. Ollie has only been a coach for what, 5 years? We have 6.5 players tonight that were healthy. They made 10+ threes
Again, excuses... injuries are part of any sport, it's called preparation and having a plan.. in 5 years plus you plan for early graduation etc.. can't plan for injuries in most cases but you put a bench together that can step in and not skip much of a beat.. all we have done is escape some games with a win and lately that's not even happening.. this isn't getting better anytime soon..

Reaction Score

Ok. We all expected a fall off from calhoun. But this is wayyyy beyond a fall off. If Calhoun represented the top of the mountain we are barely even on the mountain anymore.

We just lost to ecu. We've lost to Wagner northeastern etc. we're been an ordinary upper-middle of the pack team for years now. The same conference you are bashing

Smu and Cincy are in the same spot we are and bring in much less talent than we do. They're both in the top 25. Why are they able to destroy us every year?

Its unrealistic to expect us to be where we were in the Jc era. But where we are right now is a place we all would have thought would be unimaginable 5 years ago.

Ollie has been masterful? Come on. I don't want him fired but that is so far out of touch with reality, I really hope you were being sarcastic.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
I am not accepting mediocrity, I think we should be contender every year. I am just accepting the fact that the program is walking a thin line right now talent wise. We have a great nucleus of players, but zero depth at any position.
Agree

Reaction Score
And who's fault is that? Why are you comparing us to any of those schools? Yes, we lost two starters, but the whole point of being a top program is that you can withstand some blows to graduation, the draft, and injuries.
We are not a top program, exactly expectations are scewd.

My expectation is to be a top 25 program which we will be next year with our players coming back
from injuries.

Never going to be a top 5 or 10 program again now that Calhoun left and we are in the American.

We need to be realistic, Uconn was a NOTHING before Calhoun came, we are not UNC, DUKE, Kentucky, UCLA, or Kansas.

We are not, we were because of Calhoun, good luck finding the greatest coach of all time again, and yea then get in a top 5 conference as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom