OT: - Rock And Roll HOF | The Boneyard

OT: Rock And Roll HOF

Reaction Score
So as I watch the induction yesterday I certainly respect some of these inductees and qualification for admittance but how does Dolly Parton get inducted and not Foreigner, Styx, or REO Speedwagon? And I’m sure there are many more snubs people can point to that are worse. Do these people listen to classic rock popularity for the last 40 years? Willie I say OK great. Country music I get but??

BTW- Spinners were overdue

Reaction Score
So as I watch the induction yesterday I certainly respect some of these inductees and qualification for admittance but how does Dolly Parton get inducted and not Foreigner, Styx, or REO Speedwagon? And I’m sure there are many more snubs people can point to that are worse. Do these people listen to classic rock popularity for the last 40 years? Willie I say OK great. Country music I get but??

BTW- Spinners were overdue
Dolly Parton is incredible.

Foreigner deserves it, Lou Gramm is one of the all-time rock voices.

The Pointer Sisters should definitely be in there.

Reaction Score

Tommy James and the Shondells, Zevon, Bad Company too.

Reaction Score
Like most Halls of Fame, there is a lot of business politics involved in who is selected and who is not. For example Phil Spector, before he he went to prison for murder, was on the R & R HOF Board and for years blackballed his former wife Ronnie Spector and Darlene Love from being admitted because he was involved in lawsuits with these two women.

Reaction Score
I don't think the bands listed are really notable in any way. Derivative, not huge sellers, music didn't age very well.

Parton is also influential.

There are plenty of bands that are in that are also derivative, like Green Day. But for them it's the hits and the huge sales.

For someone my age (born in '68) who listened to his older brother's Bad Company record, I have to say that listening to it convinced me Classic Rock was over. Rock n' Roll Fantasy is about some old band, a song that's been done 100x times. Here come the jesters, indeed. Everything that was wrong with the late 70s.

Cheap Trick, on the other hand, did that late 70s thing so much better.

Anyway, I'm not invested in the Rock HOF but I can see why some of these bands don't get in.

I'd rather see a band like Devo get in, but I don't think they deserve it. At the very least though, Devo broke new ground and sounded fresh.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't think the bands listed are really notable in any way. Derivative, not huge sellers, music didn't age very well.

Parton is also influential.

There are plenty of bands that are in that are also derivative, like Green Day. But for them it's the hits and the huge sales.

For someone my age (born in '68) who listened to his older brother's Bad Company record, I have to say that listening to it convinced me Classic Rock was over. Rock n' Roll Fantasy is about some old band, a song that's been done 100x times. Here come the jesters, indeed. Everything that was wrong with the late 70s.

Cheap Trick, on the other hand, did that late 70s thing so much better.

Anyway, I'm not invested in the Rock HOF but I can see why some of these bands don't get in.

I'd rather see a band like Devo get in, but I don't think they deserve it. At the very least though, Devo broke new ground and sounded fresh.
I find a lot of inconsistencies in the nominating and voting process. Kate Bush is great, but how many Americans really know a damn thing about her? And if she gets in, why are legendary UK guys like Roy Wood/The Move (Wood is already in with ELO) or Paul Weller/The Jam/Style Council not also under consideration?

If George Michael gets in, what about other pop artists with far longer histories and more hits, like The Carpenters or Cher or Phil Collins?

Progressive rock is underrepresented. I'd argue that King Crimson, Jethro Tull, and ELP are all more influential than Rush.

And when talking about "influential", strong cases could be made for The Replacement, Big Star and Thin Lizzy, bands who are routinely cited as major influences for dozens of major bands.

Here's a somewhat rando list done in 2021 of "100 Major RnRHoF Snubs". A handful, like Willie and Dolly and The Spinners have since gotten in. I don't agree with most of the suggestions, but in addition to the artists I cited above, I'd say Iggy Pop, Dionne Warwick, Glen Campbell, Brian Eno and probably The Smiths should all be next up.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
there is nothing rockin about Dolly except her
knocking knock knock GIF

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Foreigner opened for The Rolling Stones for their 1981 tour opener in Philadelphia and got booed off the stage. Personally, I've never been a fan of them.

(For what it's worth, George Thorogood played to huge applause. If I remember correctly, they actually brought him back out after foreigner left to get the crowd pumped up again.)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Isn't the R&R HoF a Groucho Marx, "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member" kind of thing?

The whole concept of R&R was to rebel against authority and establishment.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
The fact the Meters are not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame pretty much proves the process and honor means bupkis.

Reaction Score

Phil Collins is in for Genesis but not a solo artist and Gramm not at all either way.

Reaction Score
I find a lot of inconsistencies in the nominating and voting process. Kate Bush is great, but how many Americans really know a damn thing about her? And if she gets in, why are legendary UK guys like Roy Wood/The Move (Wood is already in with ELO) or Paul Weller/The Jam/Style Council not also under consideration?

If George Michael gets in, what about other pop artists with far longer histories and more hits, like The Carpenters or Cher or Phil Collins?

Progressive rock is underrepresented. I'd argue that King Crimson, Jethro Tull, and ELP are all more influential than Rush.

And when talking about "influential", strong cases could be made for The Replacement, Big Star and Thin Lizzy, bands who are routinely cited as major influences for dozens of major bands.

Here's a somewhat rando list done in 2021 of "100 Major RnRHoF Snubs". A handful, like Willie and Dolly and The Spinners have since gotten in. I don't agree with most of the suggestions, but in addition to the artists I cited above, I'd say Iggy Pop, Dionne Warwick, Glen Campbell, Brian Eno and probably The Smiths should all be next up.
Agree with most of what you wrote, except I understand George Michael. He's one of the most prominent people in his generation. A lot of hits. He does pop, but he also does rock (Faith). Phil Collins is a good comparison, but not as popular as Michael. I wonder if Genesis is in.

Finally, the Carpenters might have had a strong case but they were eliminated forever when the judges remembered they put this out:

Reaction Score
Foreigner hammered the final nail into classic rock's coffin with "I Want to Know What Love Is." That song alone should keep them out of the HOF forever.

The problem with the HOF is that they need to induct people every year whether they're worthy or not, so it basically boils down to "every band that boomers and Gen X remember" will eventually get in.
I can name a lot more Missy Elliott songs than Footloose (the only Loggins song I can name).

Missy Elliott was groundbreaking, the most high concept performer in Hip Hop. I knew people from all groups that could sing her stuff backwards and forwards.

I'm not sure about her sales, and kids don't know who she is anymore, but she was huge for a decade before she faded. I'm glad she's in there because she flipped that genre on its head --- but she wasn't around for very long. I can see a case against her.

Last edited by a moderator:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Agree with most of what you wrote, except I understand George Michael. He's one of the most prominent people in his generation. A lot of hits. He does pop, but he also does rock (Faith). Phil Collins is a good comparison, but not as popular as Michael. I wonder if Genesis is in.

Finally, the Carpenters might have had a strong case but they were eliminated forever when the judges remembered they put this out:

This lady sings Karen's songs amazingly well.

Reaction Score
I can name a lot more Missy Elliott songs than Footloose (the only Loggins song I can name).

Missy Elliott was groundbreaking, the most high concept performer in Hip Hop. I knew people from all groups that could sing her stuff backwards and forwards.

I'm not sure about her sales, and kids don't know who she is anymore, but she was huge for a decade before she faded. I'm glad she's in there because she flipped that genre on its head --- but she wasn't around for very long. I can see a case against her.
Appreciate the feedback. I was wondering if it was just me (I couldn't name a single Missy Elliot song if you spotted me the first word). Good to know her inclusion has some merit.

Reaction Score

They're clueless about rap. Missy Elliott in the HOF over people like Rakim, Tribe, Outkast, Nas etc. is just funny.

You should look into Kenny Loggins catalog, he's great.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Why? What's wrong with that song?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom