OT: - RJ Hampton | The Boneyard

OT: RJ Hampton

Reaction Score
Skips college. Good for him. But, I thought college was the only way to get drafted, get a shoe deal, and prepare you for the NBA. Seems like that argument is as antiquated as the NCAA model itself.

Reaction Score
Good for him but his father is wrong. He would get better coaching, development, training and facilities at a top tier university than in the new Zealand basketball league.

Can't imagine housing will be all that great either and then factor in you aren't going to have the exposure.

There a reason 1 kid every 3 years goes this route

Reaction Score
Good for him but his father is wrong. He would get better coaching, development, training and facilities at a top tier university than in the new Zealand basketball league.

Can't imagine housing will be all that great either and then factor in you aren't going to have the exposure.

There a reason 1 kid every 3 years goes this route
I don't want this to become a three page back and forth, but I do find almost all of this untrue. I agree that there is a reason why most kids don't this route, but most kids probably aren't able to lock in shoe deals. Who knows about housing, but who cares. I would imagine the facilities and maybe the experience of playing at a Kansas would be better. The coaching, development, training, and even exposure(there are global scouts everywhere) I find to be simply untrue. He can go, play well, develop, and help his stock just as much as playing at Kansas or Memphis. It could even help him more.

Reaction Score
You are right there are better coaches in new Zealand coaching a 3rd tier sport in their country as compared to the basketball capital of the universe in the united states. I suppose soccer players in US universities receive better coaching than the Juventus junior club team also.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Some kids aren't cut out for college. He's probably doesn't want to take classes. He just wants to focus on basketball. That's fine. There's no need to make up stories about better coaching and preparation, because it's not true. G-league, maybe. All HS kids should have that option, even if it will probably be detrimental to most of them.

Reaction Score
The part that stands out to me is that of the recent players taking this route (Mudiay, Jennings, Ferugson, etc..) it seems as though RJ was the first one who did it somewhat willingly. The other guys had some sort of cloud concerning their recruiting and eligibility status. Maybe this starts a new trend?

Reaction Score
This reminds me of what Auston Matthews did when he was the #1 pick in the NHL draft back in 2016.

Matthews by passed playing in NCAA or Canadian juniors and ended up playing his draft year professionally in Switzerland, a league with good, but not great competition so it'll affect his stats, an easy travel schedule and an opportunity to make some money. Overall, a good building block pro experience for an 18 year old kid.

I support his decision in making money, getting experience and seeing the world is a more worthwhile than taking faux classes in the NCAA for one year and then going pro. Personally, I see this as a more mature choice than being one-and-done.

Reaction Score
Big Cat and PFT beating Penny and Bill Self for a recruit.
AztQ.gif

Reaction Score
You are right there are better coaches in new Zealand coaching a 3rd tier sport in their country as compared to the basketball capital of the universe in the united states. I suppose soccer players in US universities receive better coaching than the Juventus junior club team also.
The coaching D1 soccer players receive playing college soccer is not only not better than youth development programs for the top clubs in Europe but it is not even in the same universe.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I wonder how many folks on this forum would have turned down $1 million to play a sport in college for a year, risking injury and the possibility that their opportunity to earn that much playing a sport could be gone forever. Also, if you really want to, you can go to college anytime. I'd take the money and the job in a heartbeat.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Skips college. Good for him. But, I thought college was the only way to get drafted, get a shoe deal, and prepare you for the NBA. Seems like that argument is as antiquated as the NCAA model itself.

Geez he’s good enough you would think his shoe deal was solidified by sophomore year of HS

Reaction Score
I wonder how many folks on this forum would have turned down $1 million to play a sport in college for a year, risking injury and the possibility that their opportunity to earn that much playing a sport could be gone forever. Also, if you really want to, you can go to college anytime. I'd take the money and the job in a heartbeat.
I actually imagine most of us would because we are college basketball fans. I could turn down $1 million dollars on the other side of the world if that meant I get to live the life of a college superstar and play in front rowdy college crowd.

Reaction Score
Yeah it’s like $600,000 more than what a good college would pay him

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The coaching D1 soccer players receive playing college soccer is not only not better than youth development programs for the top clubs in Europe but it is not even in the same universe.

I admit I am no expert, but every quasi-expert I've ever heard from says the exact opposite is true. They all say college Soccer is a wasteland of poor coaching. Almost nobody comes out of college soccer and becomes an international player, and even in the MLS they are just ok. @ZooCougar even though this is off topic.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This is meaningless. Going to Duke prior than the NBA is worth much much more than $1M.

Reaction Score
I admit I am no expert, but every quasi-expert I've ever heard from says the exact opposite is true. They all say college Soccer is a wasteland of poor coaching. Almost nobody comes out of college soccer and becomes an international player, and even in the MLS they are just ok. @ZooCougar even though this is off topic.
I think you two are saying the exact same thing here.

Reaction Score
Thats exactly what I said D1 Soccer <<<< juventus u16s

Reaction Score
Geez, some of you are making NZ seem like a 3rd world country. Guess what, Auckland has indoor plumbing! He will find a place to live! With beds too!

Kevin Braswell is listed as the head coach on wikipedia and I do not know if he is a good coach, but he was a darn good player at Georgetown so maybe he is! And they know how to train athletes. It is a small country and they are still able to be the best rugby team in the world and one of the best in cricket.

Wish him luck.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Geez, some of you are making NZ seem like a 3rd world country. Guess what, Auckland has indoor plumbing! He will find a place to live! With beds too!

Kevin Braswell is listed as the head coach on wikipedia and I do not know if he is a good coach, but he was a darn good player at Georgetown so maybe he is! And they know how to train athletes. It is a small country and they are still able to be the best rugby team in the world and one of the best in cricket.

Wish him luck.

College is not for everybody. Remember Daniel Hamilton? If somebody had offered him this deal he'd have been off to NZ. Also, for those advocating they can make far more money spending one year in college, how did that work out for Hamilton? I doubt he's financially set for life bouncing around in the G League. The NZ gig is likely somewhat better than life in the G League.

Reaction Score

Wish him luck.
Plus fresh kiwi

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I wonder how common this will become. He and Mudiay are the only real high profile dudes that come to mind

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom