OT: - RJ Hampton | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: RJ Hampton

Reaction Score
I don't see anything wrong with this move. If he was going to college as a one-and-done, it would only be to better his draft status during a forced purgatory year. So he decided to make a bunch of money in New Zealand for that purgatory. It's a risk, but so is playing a year in college. I know a lot of people are pushing kids to do a year between high school and college to work and make sure they are ready for school. He's just going to be making more than a barista.

If I were his dad I'd want to know about the coaching / competition, of course. But I'd also be a bit concerned about his assumed temporary status. If I'm a professional coach, I'm coaching for wins. I'd develop a kid if I thought it could help me in the long run, but if he's just using us for a year, I don't really have much incentive to develop or even play him much. The Calipari and Coach K's in the US have an incentive to foster the one and done to encourage more of them to sign.

Separately, I also found it a bit funny that the dad said "RJ could get in to Stanford. He has a 1280 on the SAT and a 3.7 GPA." He should be proud of how his son has done academically, and I'm sure he could get into Stanford as a 5-star ball player, but I wonder if he realizes that Stanford's admissions would laugh at his application otherwise.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I don't see anything wrong with this move. If he was going to college as a one-and-done, it would only be to better his draft status during a forced purgatory year. So he decided to make a bunch of money in New Zealand for that purgatory. It's a risk, but so is playing a year in college. I know a lot of people are pushing kids to do a year between high school and college to work and make sure they are ready for school. He's just going to be making more than a barista.

If I were his dad I'd want to know about the coaching / competition, of course. But I'd also be a bit concerned about his assumed temporary status. If I'm a professional coach, I'm coaching for wins. I'd develop a kid if I thought it could help me in the long run, but if he's just using us for a year, I don't really have much incentive to develop or even play him much. The Calipari and Coach K's in the US have an incentive to foster the one and done to encourage more of them to sign.

Separately, I also found it a bit funny that the dad said "RJ could get in to Stanford. He has a 1280 on the SAT and a 3.7 GPA." He should be proud of how his son has done academically, and I'm sure he could get into Stanford as a 5-star ball player, but I wonder if he realizes that Stanford's admissions would laugh at his application otherwise.

That is on par for athletes at those schools. My cousin got into Harvard with the same states and they don't even do athletic scholarships.

Reaction Score
I admit I am no expert, but every quasi-expert I've ever heard from says the exact opposite is true. They all say college Soccer is a wasteland of poor coaching. Almost nobody comes out of college soccer and becomes an international player, and even in the MLS they are just ok. @ZooCougar even though this is off topic.

This is true. College soccer is on life support in terms of remaining a producer of 1st division pro talent.

These days MLS coaches practically give away draft picks. Some of them don’t even attend the draft.

In soccer you need to be in a pro environment by the time you are 17 or 18.

Reaction Score
You are right there are better coaches in new Zealand coaching a 3rd tier sport in their country as compared to the basketball capital of the universe in the united states. I suppose soccer players in US universities receive better coaching than the Juventus junior club team also.

I can’t figure out if you are being sarcastic or not. No soccer player is better off in college soccer than in Europe unless you aren’t professional caliber or if you don’t make enough money to live.

I have no idea what the basketball situation in NZ is.

Reaction Score
This is meaningless. Going to Duke prior than the NBA is worth much much more than $1M.

Not necessarily. You have to actually be good too. Duval was an equal or better recruit according to RSCI and he flamed out, was undrafted and is in the DLeague. I'm sure he would have rather made a cool million instead of flaming out in college.

Reaction Score
honestly yeah the coaching is superior in the states but big whoop. the kid would be good enough to be drafted in the first round BEFORE this mandatory post high school year. he’s not going to get worse in NZ.

Reaction Score
You are right there are better coaches in new Zealand coaching a 3rd tier sport in their country as compared to the basketball capital of the universe in the united states. I suppose soccer players in US universities receive better coaching than the Juventus junior club team also.
I forgot that Bill Self and Penny Hardaway are known for great player development.

Seems like you know as much about footie as you do college basketball.

Reaction Score
While there isn't the volume of players that the US has, International guys get drafted in the 1st round every year.

NBA teams have the ability to scout guys all over the world. Since he's coming from the states he's likely already on teams radar so it's not like he's a nobody that has to hope he gets found.

Adding $1MM to his kick, especially if he's not interested in being a student, shouldn't hurt his long term NBA plans

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
NCAA's worst fear is he becomes successful and it becomes model for future high school players.

Reaction Score
College is not for everybody. Remember Daniel Hamilton? If somebody had offered him this deal he'd have been off to NZ. Also, for those advocating they can make far more money spending one year in college, how did that work out for Hamilton? I doubt he's financially set for life bouncing around in the G League. The NZ gig is likely somewhat better than life in the G League.
This is much smarter than that Bazely kid who went straight to the G-League instead of Cuse. Haven’t heard a word about him, but those bus rides must of been fun!
Better move to grab the money, make a name overseas playing against men, and then come back for the draft.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
NCAA's worst fear is he becomes successful and it becomes model for future high school players.

Bingo! It would be fun to see that happen during Mark Emmert's tenure at the NCAA. Mark better get a pair of knee pads because if it does, he's going to need them while kneeling outside Silver's office begging him to rescind the one-and-done rule.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Bingo! It would be fun to see that happen during Mark Emmert's tenure at the NCAA. Mark better get a pair of knee pads because if it does, he's going to need them while kneeling outside Silver's office begging him to rescind the one-and-done rule.

Yeah, you'd see the NCAA advocating some interesting working relationships with the NBA.

Reaction Score
This is much smarter than that Bazely kid who went straight to the G-League instead of Cuse. Haven’t heard a word about him, but those bus rides must of been fun!
Better move to grab the money, make a name overseas playing against men, and then come back for the draft.

Bazely didn't go to the G League. He trained and got a mil from New Balance and he is a projected 2nd rounder.

Reaction Score

Isn’t the NCAA pushing this as an option for kids that just don’t want to attend college (play school)? The USA Today article above by Wolken has a quote from Emmert from 2018 reinforcing it. Didn’t the Rice Commission Report also pave a road for it? As the article lays out - it’s not the end all be all solution but an option for a specific subset of players. Some kids will want the college experience/ structure and others don’t.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Skips college. Good for him. But, I thought college was the only way to get drafted, get a shoe deal, and prepare you for the NBA. Seems like that argument is as antiquated as the NCAA model itself.

But he hasn’t been drafted or gotten a shoe deal yet, So what exactly has he proven to this point

Reaction Score
That this is a viable alternative to the sham that is the NCAA
He’s not the first guy to choose this route, don’t see how he’s making it more viable

Reaction Score
He’s not the first guy to choose this route, don’t see how he’s making it more viable
He's the first big name to voluntarily choose this route, the others had various potential qualifying issues

Reaction Score
He's the first big name to voluntarily choose this route, the others had various potential qualifying issues
And you think this is a game changer for top recruits?

Reaction Score

Athletics Compliance Office > Student-Athletes > Playing & Practice Seasons

Countable Hours

The NCAA limits playing and practice seasons and, in particular, the number of hours that a student-athlete may participate in intercollegiate athletics.

In-Season Out-of-Season (during academic year)
4 hours per day 4 hours per day
20 hours per week 8 hours per week
1 day off per week 2 days off per week
competition=3 hoursNon-FB, skill instruction 2 of the 8 hrs/week
FB, film review 2 of the 8 hrs/week

Daily & weekly hour limitations do not apply to the following time periods:
  • During preseason practice prior to the 1st day of classes or the first scheduled contest, whichever comes first

• During an institution’s vacation periods as listed on the official academic calendar and during the academic year between terms when classes are not in session and a sport is in-season

During the Playing Season

Student-athletes may engage in only 4 hours per day and 20 hours per week of countable athletically related activities. A countable athletically related activity is any activity with an athletics purpose involving student-athletes that occurs at the direction of or supervised by one or more institutional coaching staff members (including strength and conditioning coaches).

Reaction Score
He could just reinvest that 1mm in himself and fly out who/whatever he needs.

Oh and D1 soccer players are considered way too old. Europeans don't want 22 year old players unless they are goalkeepers. Players are brought into "systems"

Reaction Score

Athletics Compliance Office > Student-Athletes > Playing & Practice Seasons

Countable Hours

The NCAA limits playing and practice seasons and, in particular, the number of hours that a student-athlete may participate in intercollegiate athletics.

In-Season Out-of-Season (during academic year)
4 hours per day4 hours per day
20 hours per week 8 hours per week
1 day off per week2 days off per week
competition=3 hoursNon-FB, skill instruction 2 of the 8 hrs/week
FB, film review 2 of the 8 hrs/week

Daily & weekly hour limitations do not apply to the following time periods:
  • During preseason practice prior to the 1st day of classes or the first scheduled contest, whichever comes first
  • During an institution’s vacation periods as listed on the official academic calendar and during the academic year between terms when classes are not in session and a sport is in-season
During the Playing Season

Student-athletes may engage in only 4 hours per day and 20 hours per week of countable athletically related activities. A countable athletically related activity is any activity with an athletics purpose involving student-athletes that occurs at the direction of or supervised by one or more institutional coaching staff members (including strength and conditioning coaches).

Not sure what you're trying to illustrate here. They can work out 24/7 if they want on their own it just can't be organized or run by the coaching staff

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Not sure what you're trying to illustrate here. They can work out 24/7 if they want on their own it just can't be organized or run by the coaching staff

I think most of us who've watched the last three seasons of Husky BB would tend to agree that some of our players didn't improve greatly, even when they are allowed to work out with coaches and trainers during the limited time available to them under NCAA rules. Ollie was apparently concerned about it enough to break the rules and schedule illegal travel and workouts with a non-UCONN trainer at a remote location not authorized by the AD.

Hamption can eat, drink and sleep BB 24/7 in a foreign country with no language barrier, and pocket a million bucks for the inconvenience. He can get whatever coaching and training is available and even hire his own if that proves ineffective.

I'm puzzled by those here who seem to think he's making some big mistake. Not having to go to college classes, study, take exams, and be distracted by all the other things college life offers seems like a very mature, intelligent plan for somebody that wants to treat pro BB as a profession. He can go to college anytime he wants to in the future.

The NCAA has shot itself in the foot with its ridiculous, byzantine rules. If they're not careful, what Hampton is doing may become the norm rather than the exception. And once a player is outta here, all but the very elite ones that do it may just decide they like it where they're living and they'll stay overseas playing for pro teams there. The NBA could see a talent drain among mid to low level players because of it. The ones that don't get drafted out of HS if they change the one-and-done rule could opt to go overseas for more money.

The G League hasn't proven to be a viable career path to the NBA. The pay and the lifestyle suck. How many current NBA players made it to a permanent roster spot from the G League?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom