Reports: UConn Presentation to Big12 in Dallas on 9/8 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Reports: UConn Presentation to Big12 in Dallas on 9/8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would also think that SH has been preparing for this day for some time. She understands the importance and is a very prepared and organized leader. I assume the presentation deck was prepared long ago and is likely a living document that is updated as needed.

Anyone's guess how this all shakes out, but I am certain if we lose, it will not be from a lack of presentation preparedness or effectiveness

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
We have a head FB coach who could sell a ketchup popsicle to a rich woman in white gloves. Batshitt crazy, yes. Brilliant salesman? Also, yes.
Ok, fine. Makes sense to leave him home to beat Navy.
Leave him home, in Storrs, this wknd

Reaction Score
do we know definitively that Big12 reps have been to the Uconn campus, seen the facilities.
It's been mentioned but I agree the Big 12 wants to see commitments to the AD before joining the P5 ranks.
Facilities, stadium, capital projects, etc.

Do Houston or Cincy come close? or even BYU?

Reaction Score
Hearst, Benedict, Rubin, legal counsel, ... other?

UConn Trophies.jpg

Reaction Score
How about a couple of Hall of Famers?

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Ray Allen attended, he's been very active with the UConn Athletic Department in recent months.

I believe he has some informal title such as adviser. When it appeared as though the Big 12 wasn't expanding months ago, he hosted Benedict and Herbst at his home in Miami to discuss next steps.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I believe @Dooley is the one who always makes this point, but year to year success in athletics is cyclical.

Where Houston is riding the top of the wave now, UCF was two years ago and even we were there a only a half decade prior as well.

Making long term decisions on institutions based off of 15 football games shows no foresight.

Where UCF is now is where Houston would likely end up once Hermann leaves. A big school, great recruiting ground, terrible basketball, subpar academics and ranking 4th or 5th most popular in their own market.

UConn football hasn't lit the world on fire recently, but the committent to the program by the state and the University hasn't wavered.

When other schools talk about upgrading football and basketball facilities, ours are already in the ground.

We don't have plans to bring our budget and facilities to a P5 level, we are already there.

Yes, we've been passed on by the ACC multiple times but we were always a close runner up, all while Houston (and Memphis and UCF) were begging to get out of CUSA.

The Big 12 has shown it hasn't done anything that indicates they are running a rational process but I just hope when push comes to shove and the final decision needs to be made, they look at our numbers, facilities, legendary hoops program and the fact we are the number game in our town and that will outweigh the last football season.

Reaction Score
Geno should attend too, just to represent how UConn can be a special place and he's a likeable and persuasive guy

I'd send Tranghese out. Savvy media guy who should be the presenter. Herbst and Benedict deliver the meat.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'd send Tranghese out. Savvy media guy who should be the presenter. Herbst and Benedict deliver the meat.
That's the team. Anyone more is clutter. Mike T does the intro and overview. Susan does academics and STEM including Next Gen CT and the tech park, and campus expansion plans; Bendict does athletics, starting with Bball, a brief acknowlegement of WBB (they know, no need to sell it) moving on to other sports (history of success over a broad range of sports), facilities (top in the nation and 'bricks and mortar' not 'hopes and plans' and finishes with football (BCS bowl, attendance figures, can we compete?, we can and we have wins over ND, SC, WV, L'ville, Indiana, Iowa St., etc. Bowl games, two conf championships speaks well for a very young program) Mike T closes with demographics and support (nice to have a third party say we own NYC etc. and talk about CT fans from the outside, etc.) Interspace the presentations with video, View from Above, current UConn commercial, Michigan St. at MSG, . Kemba game winner over Pitt, 6 OT game;ND game, SC bowl game, etc.

It's an easy presentation that would be very impressive. @Dooley can fill in for Mike T., if needed.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
That's the team. Anyone more is clutter. Mike T does the intro and overview. Susan does academics and STEM including Next Gen CT and the tech park, and campus expansion plans; Bendict does athletics, starting with Bball, a brief acknowlegement of WBB (they know, no need to sell it) moving on to other sports (history of success over a broad range of sports), facilities (top in the nation and bricks and mortar not plans and hopes and finishes with football (BCS bowl, attendance figures, can we compete?, we can and we have wins over ND, SC, WV, L'ville, Indiana, Iowa St., etc. Bowl games, two conf chanmpionships speaks well for a very young program) Mike T comes closes with demographics and support (nice to have a thrid party say we own NYC etc. and talk about CT fans from the outside, etc.) Interspace the presentations with video, View from Above, current UConn commercial, Michigan St. at MSG, . Kemba game winner over Pitt, 6 OT game;ND game, SC bowl game, etc.

It's an easy presentation that would be very impressive. @Dooley can fill in for Mike T., if needed.
Bravo - sounds like a winning approach to me.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
That's the team. Anyone more is clutter. Mike T does the intro and overview. Susan does academics and STEM including Next Gen CT and the tech park, and campus expansion plans; Bendict does athletics, starting with Bball, a brief acknowlegement of WBB (they know, no need to sell it) moving on to other sports (history of success over a broad range of sports), facilities (top in the nation and bricks and mortar not plans and hopes and finishes with football (BCS bowl, attendance figures, can we compete?, we can and we have wins over ND, SC, WV, L'ville, Indiana, Iowa St., etc. Bowl games, two conf chanmpionships speaks well for a very young program) Mike T comes closes with demographics and support (nice to have a thrid party say we own NYC etc. and talk about CT fans from the outside, etc.) Interspace the presentations with video, View from Above, current UConn commercial, Michigan St. at MSG, . Kemba game winner over Pitt, 6 OT game;ND game, SC bowl game, etc.

It's an easy presentation that would be very impressive. CL82 can fill in for Mike T., if needed.
With that presentation, we are number 11

Reaction Score
Did UConn take Beth Goetz, the former interim athletic director at Univ. Minn., along. She is now COO and senior woman administrator at UConn's athletic department. She may be impressive, as well.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Geno should attend too, just to represent how UConn can be a special place and he's a likeable and persuasive guy

Plenty of anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

Herbst, Rubin, Benedict and his hoard of athletic director level lieutenants no doubt have it covered, and that coverage includes (in particular order):

1. UConn: The View from Above
2. Football success and resurrection
3. Budget and state support
4. SotA Football and Basketball Training Facilities
5. Expansion capabilities of PAWSARF
6. Demographic reach into the rest of a) the Tri-State Area and b) New England
6a. Meteorological Data (Parkas are an anomaly in November).
7. National Championships
8. Post season births in other sports important to the Big XII (basketball, baseball, track).
9. Track record in recent AD hires (i.e. successful coaches and all of Benedict's new hires. Former athletic directors in their own right who chose to be deputies under him).
10. Academic success, improvement among athletes, and track record as a whole (USWR, Univ. 21, etc.)
11. STEM expansion

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The fact that this is all being done so openly is incredibly bizarre. I'm used to these Realignments being more like corporate raids where the losers don't find out until its over.
At this point it wouldn't surprise me if Susan brought along a few of the UConn Dairy Cows in the off chance that some Longhorns are attracted.

Forget the cows load up the trophies and pile them up in the middle of the table so everyone gets to touch one for the day. At that point it doesn't much matter who's doing the talking. Seriously though you need someone that's likable and will earn the respect of their audience. Our Pres and AD fit the bill just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom