Report: Cooper Flagg cancels visit to Kansas, meaning decision could come down to UConn and Duke | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Report: Cooper Flagg cancels visit to Kansas, meaning decision could come down to UConn and Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Honestly I could not imagine someone ordering a kamakazi at like teds or huskies (back when I was a student at least). If you ordered anything besides a rum/coke, vokda/soda standard 2 ingredient well drink or a miller lite draft you would end up as public enemy 1
In grad school we had a big celebration for a guy's birthday at the Margaritas near campus. (I think it was some private room/bar area). Everyone was buying B'day boy kamikaze shots for some reason. A LOT of them were consumed. At some point the bartender was pouring another round and I saw something and asked to see the bottle of Roses they were using...there were probably 50 dead fruit flies floating around in it.

Reaction Score
Montverde's strength training is elite--the facilities are better than the vast majority of colleges. It's a literal basketball factory. I'm not sure about any dieticians they have on staff. But honestly, their strength coach is probably more qualified than ours. His name is Tim Crowley if you want to look up his bio.

Flagg isn't coming to college from Bristol Central. This is an entirely different kind of recruit than we're used to.
Well then, that’s pretty cool

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
In my day they had beer and shots. I'm not sure they bothered to make any mixed drinks. Never saw anybody drinking one. But then the Rugby team was there chugging beer from a boot. Ted's was fun, but pretty gross.
How many times were you still there when they started flashing the lights and dumping the bleach or amonia mixture (whatever it was) on the floor :)

Reaction Score
I’m just not even sure why a hometown media company would write an article like this in the heat of a recruiting battle.

Regardless of the odds of us landing him, it’s just dumb.
A random national college basketball podcast I talked to mentioned it today. That's good for business.

Reaction Score
Nobody told the staff this recruitment is over I guess? ;)

IMG_1043.gif

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
A random national college basketball podcast I talked to mentioned it today. That's good for business.
Well if they’re good with clickbait journalism that’s on them I suppose.

It most likely doesn’t effect the recruitment, but I’d be annoyed if I was Hurley if my local media company did this bs.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
FWIW, Duke mods are saying Jayson Tatum is going to be at their First Night during Flagg’s visit…. Who is apparently his favorite player.

So that’s fun. Good to see Dan and staff down at his HS. Hope they can talk him into checking us out again.

Reaction Score
Montverde's strength training is elite--the facilities are better than the vast majority of colleges. It's a literal basketball factory. I'm not sure about any dieticians they have on staff. But honestly, their strength coach is probably more qualified than ours. His name is Tim Crowley if you want to look up his bio.

Flagg isn't coming to college from Bristol Central. This is an entirely different kind of recruit than we're used to.
Are you from Bristol Eastern?

Reaction Score
Karaban was a little different. He was injured and not nearly the same caliber of prospect. It did work great for him though.

A player of Flagg's caliber is thinking EXPOSURE first and foremost. He's going to build his brand as much as he can before the NBA and getting real game reps against the best high school players in the world.
Exposure would be a perfectly rational primary goal. But there are others as well, and you can’t pretend that you know which ones are driving him.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
He said "ink" not ink. Big difference.
Yes I missed the intended connotation. I guess the appropriate synonym for “ink” would be time. So is he saying this is all a waste of time? So if that is accurate my point still has merit. Debate on this topic is the best part. The thrill of the chase in this case will more likely than not, be better than the thrill of the “kill” (commitment) but as they saying goes such is life. This is an attention grabber because name one other time in the history of the UConn men’s basketball, we’re we have been one of the two finalists for a generational talent. Flagg from what I have seen…this kid from Maine went to Rucker park and trust me when you play at Rucker expect physicality, and even with his slighter frame he totally dominated. And the look in his eye when he hit the game winner reminded me of the look I first saw in Larry Birds face , Isiah Thomas and later MJ and Kobe. This kid is a stone cold assassin. Whatever he decides his stardom imo is a forgone conclusion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Exposure would be a perfectly rational primary goal. But there are others as well, and you can’t pretend that you know which ones are driving him.

Have you ever listened to an interview with Cooper Flagg? The kid's ego is the size of a continent. He is absolutely motivated by exposure and clout.

Regardless, I can't imagine any that are going to result in him coming to UConn (or anywhere) a semester early. Game experience and training and Montverde are going to do more for development than spending a semester practicing a few months with UConn during the season when our starters are load managing.

Is it possible he comes a semester early to UConn or Duke? Sure.

Is it overwhelmingly unlikely because it makes very little sense at all in light of the circumstances? Definitely.

Reaction Score
Have you ever listened to an interview with Cooper Flagg? The kid's ego is the size of a continent. He is absolutely motivated by exposure and clout.

Regardless, I can't imagine any that are going to result in him coming to UConn (or anywhere) a semester early. Game experience and training and Montverde are going to do more for development than spending a semester practicing a few months with UConn during the season when our starters are load managing.

Is it possible he comes a semester early to UConn or Duke? Sure.

Is it overwhelmingly unlikely because it makes very little sense at all in light of the circumstances? Definitely.
I doubt he will even be able to get all the HS credits needed to come early considering his age and late reclass.

Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but this whole Duke vs UConn recruiting moment has made it lots of fun to troll Duke fans on the many posts that pop up on my facebook feed. It’s fun to troll when you’re on top of the basketball world.

Reaction Score
“I would expect he will decide after the Duke visit in a reasonably short period,” Montverde head coach Kevin Boyle told The Messenger. “He’s seen both campuses and talked enough to both staffs that he can make a decision. He’s not looking for more attention. Let’s be honest, he’s getting enough of it already.”

Kelly Flagg agrees with the shorter timeline. “Unless he’s unbelievably confused, I’m pretty sure he’s going to make a decision very quickly after he visits Duke,” she said. “That way, he can put it behind him and focus on what he needs to do to get better.”

Kelly Flagg insists the race is not over. “We wouldn’t have taken a visit [to UConn] if he didn’t think it was a place he could see himself at,” she says. “He needed to get on campus and get a feel for the culture, and what the coaching staff was like in their environment.”

Though Flagg will not turn 17 until Dec. 21, which means he is just old enough to qualify for the 2025 NBA draft, he is by all accounts uncommonly mature. He will need to rely on that old soul when he makes his big decision. “The last ‘no’ is going to be the harder one for him,” Kelly says. “[Duke and UConn] are the two finalists for a reason. He feels a great connection to those coaches. It’s a hard position to be in. He’s got two great choices. He can’t go wrong either way.”

Reaction Score
FWIW, Duke mods are saying Jayson Tatum is going to be at their First Night during Flagg’s visit…. Who is apparently his favorite player.

So that’s fun. Good to see Dan and staff down at his HS. Hope they can talk him into checking us out again.
It always was and still is an uphill battle to get Cooper Flagg. I live here in Boston know some people that know the Celtics owner with a few degrees of separation. Maybe they can convince Wyc Grousbeck to mandate Tatum stay in Boston for a community event on Duke's First Night.

Reaction Score
To be in position to actually make this a race for arguably the best US prospect in a while shows how far we’ve come. Even more impressive is doing so against the kid’s dream school growing up. This staff sells themselves, the school and the culture so well.

caw

Reaction Score
“I would expect he will decide after the Duke visit in a reasonably short period,” Montverde head coach Kevin Boyle told The Messenger. “He’s seen both campuses and talked enough to both staffs that he can make a decision. He’s not looking for more attention. Let’s be honest, he’s getting enough of it already.”

Kelly Flagg agrees with the shorter timeline. “Unless he’s unbelievably confused, I’m pretty sure he’s going to make a decision very quickly after he visits Duke,” she said. “That way, he can put it behind him and focus on what he needs to do to get better.”

Kelly Flagg insists the race is not over. “We wouldn’t have taken a visit [to UConn] if he didn’t think it was a place he could see himself at,” she says. “He needed to get on campus and get a feel for the culture, and what the coaching staff was like in their environment.”

Though Flagg will not turn 17 until Dec. 21, which means he is just old enough to qualify for the 2025 NBA draft, he is by all accounts uncommonly mature. He will need to rely on that old soul when he makes his big decision. “The last ‘no’ is going to be the harder one for him,” Kelly says. “[Duke and UConn] are the two finalists for a reason. He feels a great connection to those coaches. It’s a hard position to be in. He’s got two great choices. He can’t go wrong either way.”

But Trilly said…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01