Report: Cooper Flagg cancels visit to Kansas, meaning decision could come down to UConn and Duke | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Report: Cooper Flagg cancels visit to Kansas, meaning decision could come down to UConn and Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Years ago, was at a bar in Durham whose name I can't recall(call it Dookies) grabbing a late night bite to eat. Bunch of drunk Duke kids, kid orders kamikazes for his buddies, kid doesn't pay. Waitress delivers a huge tray of shooters, puts the tray down on a cigarette machine(yes, 20+ years ago). Nobody touches a drink. Asked the barkeep about the payment, he said alot of the kids had house accounts that got paid monthly.

Flagg decision comes down to Teds versus "Dookies".

Where is Cooper more comfortable?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Years ago, was at a bar in Durham whose name I can't recall(call it Dookies) grabbing a late night bite to eat. Bunch of drunk Duke kids, kid orders kamikazes for his buddies, kid doesn't pay. Waitress delivers a huge tray of shooters, puts the tray down on a cigarette machine(yes, 20+ years ago). Nobody touches a drink. Asked the barkeep about the payment, he said alot of the kids had house accounts that got paid monthly.

Considering he will be 17 when he arrives, probably neither place.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
A while back, I posted something along these lines and got a lot of flack for posting it. Nice to see this article echoing my sentiments that while it would be great to land Cooper let’s not get too carried away w/significance as we’ve won our past championships without a top five recruit. and beaten teams in tourney with top 5 recruits.

!Landing nation’s top recruit is great, but remember UConn has achieved blue blood status without it

These articles are a waste of "ink." Not a single person is saying that landing Cooper Flagg is critical to the program's future, nor is anyone proposing that Hurley focus on building a roster full of 5 star, one-and-done players.

Cooper Flagg is potentially a generational talent. He is the most hyped prospect since one of the two best players of all time. It is not controversial to simply say that adding a player of that caliber to the infrastructure and culture that Hurley has already built would indisputably be a great thing. All the rest is people being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian or arguing against straw men.

Reaction Score

I get the gist of the story (monthly tabs for some college kids) but confused at the significance of nobody touching a drink. Once delivered, wouldn’t the drunk friends just dive in?

Reaction Score
The writer is a guy named Kels. I think he should stick to writing about curling and biathlon. He's out of his element on this one.

Reaction Score

I don't think Flagg is going to be spending time at Ted's during his 1 year at UConn. He's on the Ray Allen plan and I'm sure that is what Hurley sold him on.

Reaction Score
These articles are a waste of "ink." Not a single person is saying that landing Cooper Flagg is critical to the program's future, nor is anyone proposing that Hurley focus on building a roster full of 5 star, one-and-done players.

Cooper Flagg is potentially a generational talent. He is the most hyped prospect since one of the two best players of all time. It is not controversial to simply say that adding a player of that caliber to the infrastructure and culture that Hurley has already built would indisputably be a great thing. All the rest is people being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian or arguing against straw men.

I think the thing that gets lost in this is the potential it provides us long term. If we start landing the Cooper Flagg's of the world, we might win 5 more titles in the next 15 years. It would be a huge breakthrough for Hurley to be recruiting like Self, Coach K and Calipari have. That's rare air. We don't need Cooper Flagg, but damn do we want him (and those that will come after him).

Reaction Score
I think the thing that gets lost in this is the potential it provides us long term. If we start landing the Cooper Flagg's of the world, we might win 5 more titles in the next 15 years. It would be a huge breakthrough for Hurley to be recruiting like Self, Coach K and Calipari have. That's rare air. We don't need Cooper Flagg, but damn do we want him (and those that will come after him).
If we get Cooper or not (I'm not expecting to) then our attention goes to Dybantsa who I think is even a slightly better prospect. The timing is good now with UConn going back to being the premier basketball program and New England producing the top prospects.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
There’s a very good chance we might hear something in the next 7 to 10 days. Then again we might not.

It'll either be in the next 7-10 days, or in the following 315-318 days.

Reaction Score

Well I get your point but at the same time, it isn’t contrarian to point our that we mopped the floor against other teams in recent years with these top 5 recruits - Recently Villanova comes to mind.

I think some of us our passing time a we wait too! Hopefully a decision soon either way! He looks like a great kid!

Reaction Score
At this point, Duke would be the “romantic” choice, not necessarily the best choice

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Funny, but clearly the point speaks to the culture of both schools.
It's an anecdote. UConn is a public school in a wealthy state, but is located in the boonies. It gets all types, but is pretty laid back. Duke is a much more exclusive private school in the south, but with a lot of students from the north. Are some wealthy and entitled snots like the guy at the Harvard bar in Good Will Hunting? No doubt. But they are doing Kamakazi shots, which is what I learned to do freshman year at UConn. College kids are more alike than different.

It may come down to wanting a break from winter for all we know. He is from Maine and chose to play in Florida.

Reaction Score
It's an anecdote. UConn is a public school in a wealthy state, but is located in the boonies. It gets all types, but is pretty laid back. Duke is a much more exclusive private school in the south, but with a lot of students from the north. Are some wealthy and entitled snots like the guy at the Harvard bar in Good Will Hunting? No doubt. But they are doing Kamakazi shots, which is what I learned to do freshman year at UConn. College kids are more alike than different.

It may come down to wanting a break from winter for all we know. He is from Maine and chose to play in Florida.
Honestly I could not imagine someone ordering a kamakazi at like teds or huskies (back when I was a student at least). If you ordered anything besides a rum/coke, vokda/soda standard 2 ingredient well drink or a miller lite draft you would end up as public enemy 1

Reaction Score

Ct winters are from December to February. The winters in Maine run from October to June so......

;)

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Honestly I could not imagine someone ordering a kamakazi at like teds or huskies (back when I was a student at least). If you ordered anything besides a rum/coke, vokda/soda standard 2 ingredient well drink or a miller lite draft you would end up as public enemy 1
In my day they had beer and shots. I'm not sure they bothered to make any mixed drinks. Never saw anybody drinking one. But then the Rugby team was there chugging beer from a boot. Ted's was fun, but pretty gross.

Reaction Score
Sure, never happens

When I was in college in the late 90s there was a bar in the student center that let anyone with a student ID in to drink. I can't imagine that would fly these days but it was pretty incredible at the time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I remember Friday nights in the ROTC hangar with 50+ kegs and rocking out to Fountainhead.
Those ROTC parties were good. I remember the bar in the student union which I believe was called "the pub" and they absolutely would let anyone in with a student ID, but drinking age was 18 when I went to UConn. Keep in mind that as an alternative on Thursday and Friday nights there were parties in most forms. Often parties and every other floor. Those were good days, but I'm pretty sure all my liver an apology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom