Replacing a Legend and Recovering | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Replacing a Legend and Recovering

Reaction Score
Meanwhile Bruce Pearl has won 11 in a row at Auburn, all without 2 of his three best players seeing any time this season.

Reaction Score
And he was also 0-13 this season until they beat the Southern U. Jaguars at home last night.
They played Gonzaga, WSU, OSU, Syracuse, Kansas, Clemson, Oregon, Baylor, and TCU (along with Oakland, Toledo, Wyoming). All on the road. That's gotta be the toughest OOC schedule in the country, no?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Larry Brown then moved on to coach UCLA from 1979–1981, leading his freshman-dominated 1979–80 team to the NCAA title game before falling to Louisville, 59–54. However, that runner-up finish was later vacated by the NCAA after two players were found to be ineligible. This was one of the few times a Final Four squad had its record vacated (Villanova had its runner-up finish vacated in 1971 because Howard Porter had signed a pro contract).[19]

Let's just mention it for old times sake but Cal is particularly amazing at making this happen. Legend.

Reaction Score
Great post. Only one minor correction: Bartow was the coach when New Britain's Rod Foster led UCLA to the 1980 Final Four. They didn't both get to the FF in separate seasons. Bartow later went on to some success with UAB. Louisville won its first title that season with "Dr. Dunk", Darrell Griffith.

Larry Brown was the coach for 1980 FF UCLA team.

Reaction Score
Jarvis??? LMAO

I wonder what Kelvin Sanction is doing?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Of course I was joking. Who cares what Calhoun thinks about the next coach though?

Calhoun is still on the UCONN payroll for fundraising. I think it's safe to say that he'd be gone if they hired Jarvis. Not to mention the two of them would likely engage in vehicular manslaughter anytime they passed each other on university or other streets.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Of course I was joking. Who cares what Calhoun thinks about the next coach though?
You had one job, JC. You don't get any input next time. Sorry. Love ya, but no.
upload_2018-1-2_21-47-46.png

Reaction Score
UNC is the most consistent tournament team. 4 HOF coaches, 5 coaches who have taken teams to FF, FF in every full decade. But all that was for naught during the Doh era. He was given one chance to fix his disaster 8-20 season with his guys but when he lost that team, that was all she wrote. Roy is obviously a hell of a backup plan, and it wasn’t guaranteed he’d come back after already turning down the job in 2000. But Doh had to go regardless.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Calhoun is still on the UCONN payroll for fundraising. I think it's safe to say that he'd be gone if they hired Jarvis. Not to mention the two of them would likely engage in vehicular manslaughter anytime they passed each other on university or other streets.

Calhoun has his own basketball program.

He should go run that.

I enjoy watching him loom over his estranged hand picked replacement as much as the next guy... but his opinion about the next hire should matter as much as mine to the people who make the call. Zero.

Reaction Score
OK, so there is a 10 millin dallor buyout for Ollies contract, plus the new coach will get like a 2 million a year contract. So in essence, our nect coach wull cost us roughly 12 million?? LOL

AWESOMe

Reaction Score
He's coached Houston to a 12-2 record, including a 26-point win over an Arkansas team that beat us by 35.
That's Kelvin Sampson. No clue where Mr. Sanction is coaching.

Reaction Score
OK, so there is a 10 millin dallor buyout for Ollies contract, plus the new coach will get like a 2 million a year contract. So in essence, our nect coach wull cost us roughly 12 million?? LOL

AWESOMe
Dude, are you still on your New Year's Eve bender?

Reaction Score
Please factor in - change of conference ,
Recruiting restrictions and the ban along with replacing our legend. Say what you want but ours was a unique situation of
WTF.
Excuses

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He's recruiting guys to URI, an A-10 school no less, who could play at UCONN. And his team plays hard and is coached well.

I don't know if a guy like that is the long term answer, but that would point to an obvious upgrade no?

According to others, he's struggled in the NE with recruiting, so getting someone on his staff who has that on lock down would be critical.

An obvious upgrade over a guy who, with Wilson, has a better class coming in next year? Who had a top ten class two years ago? Who won a National Championship 3.5 years ago? Obvious upgrade? No. Nothing obvious about it if you take away the bias we have as frustrated fans. Hurley is far from a slam dunk.

I’ll be honest, it is painful watching Ollie’s teams. It’s makes me cringe to watch the lack of fundamentals and the lack of any intelligent offensive system. The lack of effort and hustle I put on him and the players both, who should be self motivated. But I just watched Bill Self screaming and cursing at his team. He was pissed. All I ever see from Ollie is...”aw man...it’s a bummer you traveled there at that critical juncture “. It’s like watching The Dude Lebowski coach a basketball team. But dumping him is a risky move, unless the guy coming in a much more of a sure thing than Hurley.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
An obvious upgrade over a guy who, with Wilson, has a better class coming in next year? Who had a top ten class two years ago? Who won a National Championship 3.5 years ago? Obvious upgrade? No. Nothing obvious about it if you take away the bias we have as frustrated fans. Hurley is far from a slam dunk.

If we were comparing apples to apples fine. But we're not. Again, that's URI. Kevin is at UCONN. They're shopping for totally different groceries. URI having a Top 25 recruiting class is shocking imo.

You said "obvious upgrade", not "slam dunk". Hurley has shown he can recruit quality to an avg school in a crappy conference. He's shown he can turn around and build a program. And his product on the floor looks pretty good (I've only watched a game or two over the last few years). It looks far better than KOs tho.

I'm not even politicking for Hurley in general. IDK enough to say who the right guy is.

But dumping him is a risky move, unless the guy coming in a much more of a sure thing than Hurley.

Do these guys even exist? The only sure thing is taking a Roy Williams from KU if you are UNC. That just doesn't happen unless you are UNC, UK, Duke, or KU.

Everything is risky. There's risk in keeping him too.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile Bruce Pearl has won 11 in a row at Auburn, all without 2 of his three best players seeing any time this season.

I’ve posted another name a few times, Chris Beard from Texas Tech. Coaching a bunch of no names, jc transfers, etc to an #18 ranking currently and looking for an upset of Kansas tonight. We have more talent than TT...and haven’t been ranked since...?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’ve posted another name a few times, Chris Beard from Texas Tech. Coaching a bunch of no names, jc transfers, etc to an #18 ranking currently and looking for an upset of Kansas tonight. We have more talent than TT...and haven’t been ranked since...?

I’m going to be pissed if KU loses this. TT is pretty good though. KU has no front court.

Side note: Pat Mahomes is one very ugly dude.

Reaction Score
Look, the thought of Bobby does make the bile rise up the back of my throat...but, I do think our program would be way more appealing than ASU. He’s a NJ guy, correct? He could dominate this area in recruiting - and his personality would be a much better fit in the NE. There’s no question he’s proved himself - doing more with less at Buffalo and ASU. What would he do with more? I’ve heard nil regarding a pending Coach K retirement or that Bobby would even be in line for the job. I think we deserve to aim high.
Leave the pac10? Not likely.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So, after several more examples, being able to follow a legend with a comparably successful coach is nearly impossible. More common is several coaches and up to a decade to regain an identity and be nationally relevant. No shame if Ollie gets let go and if Ollie's replacement isn't successful it doesn't mean letting Ollie go was the wrong choice. The bad hire of Diaco doesn't mean UConn should have kept PP longer. It just means they made consecutive crappy hires.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom