Remembering Memorial Stadium | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Remembering Memorial Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Pretty much my only memory was against Georgia Tech in 02... felt like an unfair fight. We've come a long ways in a short time.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Pretty easy for me, Spring Weekend concerts in the mid-80's. MTV on campus two years in a row, good acts on the stage.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Pretty easy for me, Spring Weekend concerts in the mid-80's. MTV on campus two years in a row, good acts on the stage.

I still can't get over a show they had on the Student Union lawn in the early-80's - The S.O.S Band and The Ramones.

Reaction Score
589794660.jpg

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Besides my UCMB endeavors, I remember the Spring Weekends in Memorial the most:

* Freshman year's headliner was Joan Jett and the Blackhearts; they rocked the joint.
* Sophomore year, it was Stevie Ray Vaughn...just wow. What an amazingly talented human being he was.
* Junior year was Ziggy Marley; that was the coolest audience vibe of them all.
(I didn't go the last year - family issues, plus I was transferring out.)

One other thing I do remember: the SOS Band really, really loved coming to UConn. They opened for both Joan Jett and SRV.

OK, the ol' memory's kicking in now: Little Feat and Living Colour were also on the bill with those folks. Memorial had some really awesome musical acts roll through there!...

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I still can't get over a show they had on the Student Union lawn in the early-80's - The S.O.S Band and The Ramones.

That was the year before I arrived I think. Remember people talking about it. Younger folks will be amazed to hear about pub nights.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Besides my UCMB endeavors, I remember the Spring Weekends in Memorial the most:

* Freshman year's headliner was Joan Jett and the Black Hearts; they rocked the joint.
* Sophomore year, it was Stevie Ray Vaughn...just wow. What an amazingly talented human being he was.
* Junior year was Ziggy Marley; that was the coolest audience vibe of them all.
(I didn't go the last year - family issues, plus I was transferring out.)

One other thing I do remember: the SOS Band really, really loved coming to UConn. They opened for both Joan Jett and SRV.

OK, the ol' memory's kicking in now: Little Feat and Living Colour were also on the bill with those folks. Memorial had some really awesome musical acts roll through there!...

Modern English went on right after Joan Jett. Lots of good acts.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Are you sure about Modern English? I don't remember them. I'm talking Spring '87 here...

Reaction Score
I don't know if it's still active, but the entire campus used to bring in music acts. Not sure if the students are active in making that happen now. Jorgensen, memorial stadium, student union, etc. Public Enemy, Anthrax, Primus, Faith No More, Helmet all played Gampel the first year it was built - sound was bad in gampel though, not built for music. A pink floyd cover band played in the old field house. My favorite was Murphy's Law in the old ROTC hangar. I walked out of that show SORE. :)

S

storrsbred1

Growing up in Storrs (as well as attending UConn) I can remember when the stadium opened. What a big deal that was then. UConn football was going big time! They used to play across the street in what I remember was called Hawley field. University threw up bleachers on both sides of the field and it was really glorified high school. I do remember Phil Tinsley played then (at Hawley) and he was awesome. When Memorial stadium opened and teams like Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, R.I., etc. came to town it was rivalry at its' best. We died when UConn didn't pull it out and glorified when we won.

The band was really good back then and most people stayed in their seats to watch the half-time show from high up the "big stadium".

Reaction Score
That was the year before I arrived I think. Remember people talking about it. Younger folks will be amazed to hear about pub nights.

I just missed the cut for having kegs on tap at dinner in the dining hall - family style meal service then.

Reaction Score
Most morbid memory, it left me shaking in my boots. Freshman year- fall of 1970. UConn hosting Maine. About mid-first-quarter. The side judge made a particularly horrendous penalty call & the stadium was booing. I yelled out "Drop dead Ref!" The next play the official keeled over with a heart attack. UConn's team physician won an award for bringing him back to consciousness & working on him in the ambulance until arrival at Windham Hospital. Luckily, he recovered. I couldn't utter a word the rest of the afternoon.

Reaction Score
I don't have any detailed memories of the football games I saw there, but I remember the concerts - Ziggy Marley, 10,000 Maniacs, Living Colour and Arrested Development. But the best moment for me at Memorial Stadium was walking onto the field as homecoming king.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As for booze memories... We sat on the gampel side for years with an open bar in the top row. Handle of captain, vodka and tequila.

My favorite game memories were the OT interception against UMass in 98 and when New Hampshire didn't get their winning FG off in time and UConn taunted them coming off the field. I'd guess that was 96 off the top of my head but don't remember for sure.

The BU 'x' game was also fun. Back in those days you didnt have the internet to explain why BU had electrical tape on their helmets.

Tom Jackson was right about the interaction. Some positive with visiting cheerleaders and some negative with visiting fans.

Reaction Score
Favorite memory was watching the Rutgers game in '73. Beat them 27-13 (I think). Eric Torkelson running it down their throat in the second half.

Reaction Score
Stevie Ray was great. UNH played a role in 2 of the more memorable games while i was there. November '87 when it was about 5 degrees outside and 20-25 below wind chill - brutal. Then in '89 for the first night game at Memorial. Place was rocking.

Good times!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I just missed the cut for having kegs on tap at dinner in the dining hall - family style meal service then.

Family style dining was great. More limited options on food and times, but you got to know everyone in the dorm quickly.

Reaction Score
I was there a couple years ago, so my memories are a bit newer. I remember those trailers we used to be in, of course. Right next to memorial stadium and up the hill. I also remember when you could park on Fairfield way and before the game, my dad and I would walk the campus...I was a kid with a lot of energy...and we would see the frat houses and the aftermath of a Friday night.

So much has changed on the campus now and it is so great the direction we are headed in at the flagship U. Memorial stadium is one of the few facilities that has stood a long time, but has not changed much or experienced renovation. My favorite memories on the football side we running down to the edge of the field at the end of the '98 season and getting an autograph and high five from Shane Stafford. I also remember when the opposing team would also walk down the same aisle of fans and get handshakes/high fives and thanks for coming and giving us a good fight. Somehow, I don't think those same actions or sentiments would be felt toward the opponent at the rent. In addition, I loved when we played UMass and the minutemen band would battle against the pride of Connecticut at halftime. Those were always really good games.

Of course, I'm an athlete and I used to do the stadium stairs til I would be winded, so I am a bit sad that future students and student athletes won't have that same opportunity. Dan Orlovsky and Fincher were my inspiration for stadium stairs. I could always yell as I climbed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Most morbid memory, it left me shaking in my boots. Freshman year- fall of 1970. UConn hosting Maine. About mid-first-quarter. The side judge made a particularly horrendous penalty call & the stadium was booing. I yelled out "Drop dead Ref!" The next play the official keeled over with a heart attack. UConn's team physician won an award for bringing him back to consciousness & working on him in the ambulance until arrival at Windham Hospital. Luckily, he recovered. I couldn't utter a word the rest of the afternoon.
Damn, that's just freaky.

As to the rest of the stories, keep them coming this is a great thread.

Reaction Score
Favorite memory was watching the Rutgers game in '73. Beat them 27-13 (I think). Eric Torkelson running it down their throat in the second half.
I was at that game too. But, I think that the final was 27-20. Rutgers had tied it at 20 with lots of time left on the clock. Then Tork went to work on a time consuming drive blasting up the middle for 5-6 yards at a clip. I vividly remember the base drummers of the band doing a cadenced drum beat between plays as seconds came off the score clock. UConn scored in the final minute to go ahead 27-20. Erik Torkelson had 164 yards to J.J.Jennings 100. J.J. went onto play for Memphis with Czonka, Warfield & Kiick then faded to oblivion. Tork played for 6-7 years with the Packers. After the game, fans exited the stadium shouting "J.J.Who?" because Jennings had a preseason nomination as an All-American.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom