Remembering Memorial Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Carl?

Carl R. Noyes ’57 (CANR)

As the Drum Major of the Husky Band in 1955 and 1956, I have many memories marching up and down that field. We built a great band then under Al Gillespie. I have always been proud of our achievements and of our fantastic University.

Reaction Score
Does smoking pot at the top of it after everybody else is asleep count as a memory?

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Does smoking pot at the top of it after everybody else is asleep count as a memory?
I think it counts as a real good one!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I guess I remember being stopped because I had a 6-pack of bottles. I put them in a bag and they waved me through.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I believe it was pharcyde and rusted root I saw at Memorial Stadium for one of our spring weekend concerts. I consumed nothing inside the stadium, but was feeling pretty darn good by the time I got there.

Reaction Score
Why the hell can't they bring back the dog bowl fries???
Because the state licensed MSG or Northland or whoever to operate concessions. Although, that doesnt mean they could't purchase some dog bowls and put their crappy fries in them.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I believe it was pharcyde and rusted root I saw at Memorial Stadium for one of our spring weekend concerts. I consumed nothing inside the stadium, but was feeling pretty darn good by the time I got there.

That Rusted Root concert blew the crowd away. And if I'm not mistaken, that was the year that Notorious B.I.G. followed up on the stage (either that year or the year with Toad the Wet Sprocket). I think less than a year later, B.I.G. was shot dead. Arrested Development was a great concert there too...

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Went to one game at Memorial around ´95 or ´96 when I was a grad student against CCSU. I remember Central had a running back who looked like Robert Newhouse only shorter (if you can believe it). Somebody dubbed him `the midget` and my group started screaming `KILL THE MIDGET!!´ KILL THE MIDGET!!´ One of us brought a bugle to sound the charge but the fun police shut us down. I also remember not being able to sit int the student section because they wouldn´t sell my wife a student ticket. Was Shayne Stafford QB then? I remember being impresed by our kicker too. It was fun. (We won)

Reaction Score
Went to one game at Memorial around ´95 or ´96 when I was a grad student against CCSU. I remember Central had a running back who looked like Robert Newhouse only shorter (if you can believe it). Somebody dubbed him `the midget` and my group started screaming `KILL THE MIDGET!!´ KILL THE MIDGET!!´ One of us brought a bugle to sound the charge but the fun police shut us down. I also remember not being able to sit int the student section because they wouldn´t sell my wife a student ticket. Was Shayne Stafford QB then? I remember being impresed by our kicker too. It was fun. (We won)

The midget was returning kicks, and did end up nearly getting killed on a return in the second half.

Reaction Score
When Navy came in '76, first time a major college football team came into UConn. It was pretty exiciting stuff back then and we didn't embarass ourselves.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When Navy came in '76, first time a major college football team came into UConn. It was pretty exiciting stuff back then and we didn't embarass ourselves.

Really? I thought we got our asses kicked and ended any dreams UConn had of moving up in class for over 20 years.

Reaction Score
Carl?

I suppose it could be Carl. But did you know that 'Carl Spackler' is the name of the character Bill Murray played in the movie Caddyshack? :D

caddyshack.jpg

Reaction Score
Really? I thought we got our asses kicked and ended any dreams UConn had of moving up in class for over 20 years.

It was the year before at their place. UConn had a pretty strong schedule in the late 70's

Reaction Score
Running those stairs helped me rebuild a knee and leg that I nearly lost. They said I shouldn't be doing stuff like that, or anythign related to football anymore, and my life changed dramatically because of my leg, but it brought me to UConn, and I did it anyway, and it healed better than they all predicted, and my leg still goes numb most days, but I can still run, even though I look funny when I do it and nowhere near as fast as I once was.

“When you were at Memorial Stadium, it was like being part of a small community. We won more games there than we lost and that is always good. To me, Connecticut football was more about people and the interaction between the players and the institution instead of the bells and whistles.” - Tom Jackson

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/110602aaa.html

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I ran for UConn Student Senate in 1964 (won big time, you can fool some of the people all the time). On the day of the election, I and 4 or 5 other guys hopped the fence at about 5 in the morning and climbed to the top row to hang a huge sign telling people to vote for our party. It was big enough to be legible from pretty far away. Just as we finished, we could see a campus security cop turn into the driveway to go to the back of the old fieldhouse. We scrambled down the steps and hopped back over the fence just as he showed up. He asked us what we were doing - duh - and asked us for our names, never asking to see our student IDs. Taking our cue from the first guy, we all gave him names of candidates from the other party and he let us go. He never did have us take the sign down and it stayed there for most of the day until the wind shredded it.

Two other memories. I was in the football band for 2 years before I got into the political stuff. I played trumpet, but in that band I played the Sousaphone. Allan Gillespie. who was terrific, always had the band do a leaning backward prance onto the field. It seemed always to be windy and damn if the wind there didn't catch in the huge bell of the Sousaphone and made me hold on for dear life not to fall backward during the prance. The other is the year after I'd left the band and my parents came up for Parent's Day. UConn had a fb game against Vermont that we went to. It deluged the whole game. We sat there through a drenching 3/4 of what wound up being a miserable scoreless tie because nobody could do anything in the quagmire.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That Tom Jackson quote pretty much sums up his era. A winning record at home playing in the Yankee Conf. Very impressive!

Reaction Score
Score was 7-3 Navy at the half. It held up through the third quarter. In the final stanza, the Middies tired out the undermanned Huskies & the final was 21-3. The following year, UConn made the return trip to Annapolis & got blown out 55-7.

Reaction Score
My funniest moment in Memorial Stadium was circa 1972-73. Nose guard Joe Corbo "intercepted" a ball that the opposition had fumbled into the air & rumbled 25-30 yards for a touchdown. In those days that was the only way to score on a fumble recovery, as a ball that was recovered on the ground was immediately blown dead by the officials per then NCAA rules.

Reaction Score
Saw many games at Memorial from Row 50 (last row) of Section C (student section). One of my dorm mates was the shot putter on the track team. He would load a quarter keg of Miller High Life into an army surplus duffle bag & carry it like a book back pack into the stadium. In those days, the gate on Stadium Road was manned by athletes as ticket takers. There was never an issue about him getting into the stadium with the hooch & our dorm always partied in Row 50.

Reaction Score
Going to the games with my Dad and brother. When my Dad found out they gave out free hotdogs before the game (something they did for a few years before we upgraded), he never missed another game as long as he lived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom