recruiting trail | Page 2 | The Boneyard

recruiting trail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That list was actually put out not even two weeks ago! It is the most current list I have seen. A'ja is playing this very close to the vest. As bad as I want her at UCONN, and the recent rumor we are leaders with USC, I dont get because she has not visited our campus? If you have a twitter account you will take notice that she does communicate with UNC, as well as USC players a good bit. Just my take on things
I am not buying that. Those three schools happen to be the ones listed by ESPN for Wilson, but I think it's an old list.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
How can someone say he or she is sure Geno's recent contract extension will be his last? That is a ridiculous statement.

"That is a ridiculous statement" is a ridiculousu statement.

Reaction Score
Hello Everyone. I am a very big fan and after reading all of your great info I decided to join. I have also been following Aja Wilson closely and the only info I see is what is mentioned above. If she wants to stay home she will play for SC or NC. If she is competitive, wants to win a national championship, be the best she can be and play for the best college coach period, she will come to uconn. The thing that bothers me so far is she has not visited out campus.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
That list was actually put out not even two weeks ago! It is the most current list I have seen. A'ja is playing this very close to the vest. As bad as I want her at UCONN, and the recent rumor we are leaders with USC, I dont get because she has not visited our campus? If you have a twitter account you will take notice that she does communicate with UNC, as well as USC players a good bit. Just my take on things
Note: this guy has shown no previous evidence of being a Uconn fan, and has only posted on here to spread recruiting rumors that involve UNC. Please ignore.

That doesn't mean A'ja is coming to uconn. It just means that the poster I am quoting has no credibility on recruiting topics.

Reactions: HGN

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hello Everyone. I am a very big fan and after reading all of your great info I decided to join. I have also been following Aja Wilson closely and the only info I see is what is mentioned above. If she wants to stay home she will play for SC or NC. If she is competitive, wants to win a national championship, be the best she can be and play for the best college coach period, she will come to uconn. The thing that bothers me so far is she has not visited out campus.
OK - you are now batting 2000 in that you have posted once and received two 'likes'. If I were you I would quit while you are ahead - it is all down hill from here! :eek:
(Oh yeah - welcome aboard!)

Reaction Score
Thanks UC Miami & icebear!
I will say this about Uconn's recruiting. It seems to me that when a potential recruit visits Uconn, if its totally for them they seem to commit right away. I feel the longer things drag out, the less probability we will get that player. I am a little worried about Sierra calhoun, its been a very long time since we heard anything from her and her family. I really like her! She is a very well spoken young lady, a great person and player. She seems like a perfect fit for Geno and the team.

Reaction Score
I have looked at the Deep South schedule briefly -- y 'all are going to have to help me interpret this thing because I am lost!

But it appears A'ja's team (Palmetto 76ers) are playing Friday at 1:50pm and 7:40pm. Unfortunately, I will have to miss the 1:50pm game due to work; but I am going to do my best to make it to the 7:40pm game. Shall I wear my UConn jacket? Hmmm...let's hope I get to see Geno or Chris!

Y'all take a look at the teams/schedules and see which others I may need to go view. 16+ courts inside one building is going to make me be like a kid in a candy store!

Reaction Score
"That is a ridiculous statement" is a ridiculousu statement.

Geno signed a 5 yr contract which I am sure will be his last. The class of 2014 actually outlasts his contract I believe. So I figure we need great recruiting over his final years to help with our transition into our post geno era- if that makes any sense.

Since you asked, none of what you say or mention as "sure" is either sensible or sure.

Reaction Score
By all means yes. It may be noticed, and cannot hurt.

I will definitely do so then! Maybe it will get me upgraded to select seating, haha, doubtful but I can try!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Jim Fuller's blog has a recruiting update. He spoke with Wilson's AAU coach who says that UConn is very much in play with Wilson who he expects to make a decision after official visits in the fall. Wilson has reportedly been invited to try out for the USAB U-19 team.

Also mentioned in the blog are Kathryn Westbeld, Taylor Rooks, Sierra Calhoun and Lexi Gussert. I read a report that Gussert had identified a final five that didn't include UConn (Illinois, Marquette, Mich St, Purdue and Tenn), but Fuller says that UConn is still very much involved with her.

BTW, in addition to the Deep South and Boo Williams events, UConn coaches will also be at the USJN in Chicago most likely to watch Gussert and Collier ('15).

Reactions: HGN

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I will say this about Uconn's recruiting. It seems to me that when a potential recruit visits Uconn, if its totally for them they seem to commit right away. I feel the longer things drag out, the less probability we will get that player. I am a little worried about Sierra calhoun, its been a very long time since we heard anything from her and her family. I really like her! She is a very well spoken young lady, a great person and player. She seems like a perfect fit for Geno and the team.
And that one just cost you 1000 off your average.
I think young women (and men of course) make their minds up at different speeds and for different reasons, and may have a schedule of their own. The Uconn staff tend to discourage 'spur of the moment' commitments as they can change just as quickly and the coaches need to plan based on already committed players. Better to wait than have a commit change their mind. It used to be a rule that an offer wasn't made until a recruit made it to campus at least once - but that seems to have gone out the window - I think Tiff may have been the first to commit prior to a visit.
But yes, if a recruit is having a very hard time deciding, Geno might walk away. It takes a heck of a lot of commitment to play college ball, and more at Uconn than a lot of places. It is hard to make that commitment, if you aren't sure you made the right choice!
On Calhoun - I don't think anyone has 'inside information'. She has been on campus a number of times, and her family seems excited to have her come to Uconn - it may just be that she wants to look at a few other schools that she hasn't seen before committing, or it could be anything else.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I almost wanted to start a new thread with Fuller's blog as there was a lot of good info, and Gussert is a new name for me.

Fuller's blog 4-17-13

I also love reading that new names may emerge. I'm very guilty of looking at the BS and HG top 10-20 and thinking "why aren't we recruiting 'that' kid"? But as people have pointed out on here, rankings mean little there are so many to evaluate and the budgets of BS, HG, and ASGR pales in comparison to what they can do on the men's side...

Reaction Score
Just read JIm fuller's article and this trip will be a very important for Geno and his coaches. Boy it would be just great if we got Wilson, Calhoun and Westbeld. In 2014 we will only have 7 players on the team, so I even wonder if Geno goes with maybe 7 recruits for the 2014 class.

Reaction Score
According to her father in an old post,he would prefer that both kids go to the same school and Omar,the brother,is on the men's team.Let us hope that is still the plan,and Sierra agrees with it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Okay I am going to try to make it over to the Deep South Classic since it's so close by home -- I am going to rely on y'all to help me figure out who I am supposed to be looking for. Some I can probably see from my office since many of the teams are staying across from us. But if y'all can help me figure who is on what teams, I will see if I can make it out to those games and hope to see one of our fearless coaches, but I might just start squealing when I see them, haha just kidding!
I have to say that both are very nice, personable and gracious to fans. Good hunting!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just read JIm fuller's article and this trip will be a very important for Geno and his coaches. Boy it would be just great if we got Wilson, Calhoun and Westbeld. In 2014 we will only have 7 players on the team, so I even wonder if Geno goes with maybe 7 recruits for the 2014 class.
We also have walk on Pope, who I would guess maybe would be offered a scholly eventually? No idea on that one. But technically 8 players on the team not including the 3 we already have. I don't know if he takes more than 5. I would think 6 would be the absolute max. The other 3 you mentioned are my top 3 to add to the great kids we already have, but I have no idea how it will ebb and flow.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I hear staff and relatives have taken to tacking up flyers seeking walk-ons.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We also have walk on Pope, who I would guess maybe would be offered a scholly eventually? No idea on that one. But technically 8 players on the team not including the 3 we already have. I don't know if he takes more than 5. I would think 6 would be the absolute max. The other 3 you mentioned are my top 3 to add to the great kids we already have, but I have no idea how it will ebb and flow.
I believe Pope will be a Senior next year. So I'm not sure about "eventually". I suppose she could stay around another year if she was offered a scholarship.

Wilson, Westbeld and Calhoun would be great to add to Williams, Ekmark and Edwards. 6 would be a huge class for UCONN. But we got the room. And give us 13 in 2014-2015. We would have had 13 this year with Johnson and Engeln. I think 12-13 is a pretty good number.

Reaction Score
Note: this guy has shown no previous evidence of being a Uconn fan, and has only posted on here to spread recruiting rumors that involve UNC. Please ignore.

That doesn't mean A'ja is coming to uconn. It just means that the poster I am quoting has no credibility on recruiting topics.
Alex, for your information I am a husky, lol, graduated from UCONN in 93 to be exact, what about you. As for me spreading rumors 99.9 % of this board is based on heresay. It just so happens my wife is from the ChapelHill area, and is a huge UNC fan, and when info is passed to her, that in which some I have put on this board. So believe what you want, to be honest Idont care!

Reaction Score
I have to say that both are very nice, personable and gracious to fans. Good hunting!

I have fortunately met Chris Dailey very briefly after a Duke game and receive a very kind note in the mail from her a few weeks ago. I really adore her and I have featured her numerous times in my blog recently. So I really would like for her to come visit Raleigh, but we'll take Geno, too! So I will be scouting the players and the coaches, haha!

Reaction Score
Blake. I will chim in on this one. Unless Wilson wants to stay at home, that would be the only reason. Seriously Uconn and Geno versus NC with Hatchel and SC with Dawn Staley. If Stephanie Dolson had gone to either one of these schools three years ago, Do you think she would be an All American? SC has no Championships and Hatchel won I think in 1994. She has loads of talent next year, maybe she can teach them to place some defense!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
How can someone say he or she is sure Geno's recent contract extension will be his last? That is a ridiculous statement.
FairView- what I should have said is imo I don't think Geno will be coming back after this contract--- I certainly don't have any inside info- I personally would be in shock if he did, and it will be a sad day when he leaves.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Since you asked, none of what you say or mention as "sure" is either sensible or sure.
Husky 68- I certanily dont have any inside info re geno and his future, I just have a very strong feeling that this will be his swan song. I just don't see him doing this after the 5 years---but I hope I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom