recruiting trail | Page 3 | The Boneyard

recruiting trail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Thanks UC Miami & icebear!
I will say this about Uconn's recruiting. It seems to me that when a potential recruit visits Uconn, if its totally for them they seem to commit right away. I feel the longer things drag out, the less probability we will get that player. I am a little worried about Sierra calhoun, its been a very long time since we heard anything from her and her family. I really like her! She is a very well spoken young lady, a great person and player. She seems like a perfect fit for Geno and the team.
I think you are correct- after we recd committment from Ekmark, who is a legitimate top wing, and recently Sadie Edwards, and then Gabby, maybe there isn't room for another great shooting guard on that team? I think the early decision by Ekmark may have altered her decision-possibly

Reaction Score
Geno signed a 5 yr contract which I am sure will be his last. The class of 2014 actually outlasts his contract I believe. So I figure we need great recruiting over his final years to help with our transition into our post geno era- if that makes any sense.
Yes, I agree it will be his last 5 year contract. The next one will be 10 years. :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Recently, A'ja Wilson was listed at between 6'3" and 6'5". Now she is listed at 6'4" to 6'6". Yikes!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Husky 68- I certanily dont have any inside info re geno and his future, I just have a very strong feeling that this will be his swan song. I just don't see him doing this after the 5 years---but I hope I'm wrong.
He will be only 64 at the end of his contract. That is young in this day and age.

I can easily see another 5 yer contract. What will a person that competitive do in retirement?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think you are correct- after we recd committment from Ekmark, who is a legitimate top wing, and recently Sadie Edwards, and then Gabby, maybe there isn't room for another great shooting guard on that team? I think the early decision by Ekmark may have altered her decision-possibly
She's not a shooting guard.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
She's not a shooting guard.
Gabby is the only true pt guard I thought- with Chong,Ekmark, and Edwards, I thought these three were more shooters vs real pt guard material. Am I wrong? I did read where Sadie was really able to handle he ball under pressure also. And Calhoun is listed as a wing? Seams like it would be tough to land two feature wings in same yr?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Gabby is the only true pt guard I thought- with Chong,Ekmark, and Edwards, I thought these three were more shooters vs real pt guard material. Am I wrong? I did read where Sadie was really able to handle he ball under pressure also. And Calhoun is listed as a wing? Seams like it would be tough to land two feature wings in same yr?
Calhoun is a wing. Of the players you mentioned only Ekmark might be considered a wing but they are very different players.

Reactions: HGN

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Calhoun is a wing. Of the players you mentioned only Ekmark might be considered a wing but they are very different players.
thanks for the rsvp- and I love that quote!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

Chong is certainly a very capable and willing distributor of the basketball - even tho she scores in bundles. And she has experience running the show for the offense on her HS team. Calhoun is definitely a wing. She has the length and strength to score all over the court and has very balanced skills from what I've seen and read.

Reaction Score
We all know how the recruiting game goes. Geno usually pulls the right strings. I just like the way he recruits girls with the right attitude, and the will to win, and the desire to get better as people and bball players. How many players have we heard say the same thing, "I want to come to UCONN because Geno will make me the best I can be ". Kaleena, Ekmark, Stewie just to name a few.

Speaking of Courtney Ekmark, she is going to play AAU with Cal Swish. She wants to play with her good friend Katie Lou Samuelson, the # 2 player in 2015. I think Geno's friend Russ Davis still coaches Cal Swish.

I have heard great things about Westbeld. I have heard she plays like Kelly Faris, dives for loose balls and hates to lose ! Kelly Faris eh.... That's good enough for me !
GO UCONN GO !

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
He will be only 64 at the end of his contract. That is young in this day and age.

I can easily see another 5 yer contract. What will a person that competitive do in retirement?
Drink wine. Enjoy his grandkids. :)

Speeches, lectures. Go into stand up comedy.;)

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
We all know how the recruiting game goes. Geno usually pulls the right strings. I just like the way he recruits girls with the right attitude, and the will to win, and the desire to get better as people and bball players. How many players have we heard say the same thing, "I want to come to UCONN because Geno will make me the best I can be ". Kaleena, Ekmark, Stewie just to name a few.

Speaking of Courtney Ekmark, she is going to play AAU with Cal Swish. She wants to play with her good friend Katie Lou Samuelson, the # 2 player in 2015. I think Geno's friend Russ Davis still coaches Cal Swish.

I have heard great things about Westbeld. I have heard she plays like Kelly Faris, dives for loose balls and hates to lose ! Kelly Faris eh.... That's good enough for me !
GO UCONN GO !

Interesting that Ekmark is playing with Cal Swish. I will have to watch them this weekend. I had heard KLS wasnt playing club ball this summer.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Courtney Ekmark made her debut with Cal Swish this weekend.
I only saw Sundays game and she played very well, for someone who didnt practice with her teammates before the games.
For those in the Washington DC area that want to see her play, Cal Swish will be playing at the USJN tournament in late July.
Details at this link
http://www.usjn.com/xtm_tournament_info_new.php?which=204

The schedule will be out about 5 days before the events first day.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I only saw Sundays game and she played very well, for someone who didnt practice with her teammates before the games.
For those in the Washington DC area that want to see her play, Cal Swish will be playing at the USJN tournament in late July.
Details at this link

Did KLS play?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Details at this link

Thanks. I may still be in DC then. Or may have moved to San Diego.

Reaction Score
Good goobly-goo. If we get all the recruits everyone wants we are going to have to make some changes. There is no way one ball and two baskets will be enough. First of all, we will need to add another couple baskets, play with two or and eight players to get everyone some playing time and places to score. We will have to put off lowering the rims for a few years until we work on these other issues.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Did KLS play?

She wasn't with Cal Swish today.
Look for her to try out and most likely make the USA U16 team that has tryouts next month in Colorado. The U16 team will be playing in the FIBA Americas tournament in Cancun Mexico in mid June. I dont know if those games can be viewed by college coaches. If someone knows please post.

http://www.usabasketball.com/womens/u16/13_wu16_coaches.html

Perhaps she comes back for the July viewing period?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She wasn't with Cal Swish today.
Look for her to try out and most likely make the USA U16 team that has tryouts next month in Colorado. The U16 team will be playing in the FIBA Americas tournament in Cancun Mexico in mid June. I dont know if those games can be viewed by college coaches. If someone knows please post.

http://www.usabasketball.com/womens/u16/13_wu16_coaches.html

Perhaps she comes back for the July viewing period?

Coaches can attend FIBA tournaments as long as their school is willing to pay for travel. It would certainly be refreshing if KLS does take the summer off from AAU ball. It's not like coaches don't know what she can do.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I thought I read somewhere she wants to be a guard and not a post player. Did my memory fail me?
Yes, but she needs to understand that will not give her the all skills development she needs for the future. It has been discussed in at least two other threads with good detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom