Recruiting Changes for 2015 Prospects | The Boneyard

Recruiting Changes for 2015 Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
"They’re going to tell you they developed X Y Z player and I want you to ask them what they did to make that player what they became and show you the written plan for it. They dont exist."

Well it would be hard to have a written plan for each individual player, because that would change every year. But... I would bet Geno and company do have their 4 year ideas for each player written down somewhere. Where they would like to see the player in 4 years. I know it they have plans for that and I would be willing to bet (not a lot, but some) that they actually write things like that down. I would bet the kids have input into that also. Seems that way from bits and pieces we've heard over the years.

Those changes though are going to make it interesting. Probably won't help late bloomers though. It would seem more of them will slip through the cracks of the higher profile teams.

Reaction Score
#KennyKallina Blog - Recruiting is about to change for 2015 prospects & no one is talking about it - I try here http://kennykallina.wordpress.com/2013/08/14/change-change-change

'I saw a pretty powerful quote “The worst thing you can do for someone is doing something they can do on their own.”'

Whatever happened to charitable acts? It was always "understood" that I would mow the lawn of the elderly woman next door, and shovel her sidewalks, etc when I was young. I'm pretty sure she could have done those things on her own, but my mother and father were pretty sure it would be much easier if I did it. And I'm glad they did that. The world will be much worse off if everyone takes that attitude Kalina seems to appreciate. I didn't read anymore.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
'I saw a pretty powerful quote “The worst thing you can do for someone is doing something they can do on their own.”'

Whatever happened to charitable acts? It was always "understood" that I would mow the lawn of the elderly woman next door, and shovel her sidewalks, etc when I was young. I'm pretty sure she could have done those things on her own, but my mother and father were pretty sure it would be much easier if I did it. And I'm glad they did that. The world will be much worse off if everyone takes that attitude Kalina seems to appreciate. I didn't read anymore.
Well I'm pretty sure that's not what he was talking about. :rolleyes: Geez.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
"They’re going to tell you they developed X Y Z player and I want you to ask them what they did to make that player what they became and show you the written plan for it. They dont exist."

Well it would be hard to have a written plan for each individual player, because that would change every year. But... I would bet Geno and company do have their 4 year ideas for each player written down somewhere. Where they would like to see the player in 4 years. I know it they have plans for that and I would be willing to bet (not a lot, but some) that they actually write things like that down. I would bet the kids have input into that also. Seems that way from bits and pieces we've heard over the years.

Those changes though are going to make it interesting. Probably won't help late bloomers though. It would seem more of them will slip through the cracks of the higher profile teams.

The sentences following: "Players become great because they want to be great. People become great at what they do because of an internal determination to become that (welcome to America) now adults and coaches can support that positively or negatively but this new age of owning someones individual accomplishment is getting old FAST." are a re-statement of the American myth that everyone can be a self-made <whatever>. But we all stand on the shoulders of our predecessors and most are buoyed by the support of our associates & hopefully mentors. A will & determination to become great cannot succeed unless you have access to the tools & knowledge necessary for success (unless you have a truly exceptional talent for whatever it is, so that you can create your own way). Sole reliance on self may leave you not even knowing what those tools & knowledge are.

This myth is a great part of the reason education in general is held in low esteem in America and I, for one, reject it. We all rely on others*.

*with the unlikely exception noted above.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There may well be valid points in the blog piece, but it is one of the most difficult reads I have ever seen in a sports blog. Like a stream of consciousness from someone needing at least another cup of coffee.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
The sentences following: "Players become great because they want to be great. People become great at what they do because of an internal determination to become that (welcome to America) now adults and coaches can support that positively or negatively but this new age of owning someones individual accomplishment is getting old FAST." are a re-statement of the American myth that everyone can be a self-made <whatever>. But we all stand on the shoulders of our predecessors and most are buoyed by the support of our associates & hopefully mentors. A will & determination to become great cannot succeed unless you have access to the tools & knowledge necessary for success (unless you have a truly exceptional talent for whatever it is, so that you can create your own way). Sole reliance on self may leave you not even knowing what those tools & knowledge are.

This myth is a great part of the reason education in general is held in low esteem in America and I, for one, reject it. We all rely on others*.

Great post...like vitamins for the mind.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

I don't really think that myth exists to any concernable degree. At least they way you are portraying it here.

And I think you might be underestimating an individuals will and determination in success.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I don't really think that myth exists to any concernable degree. At least they way you are portraying it here.

And I think you might be underestimating an individuals will and determination in success.

If I re-state it as the myth of "the self-made man" is it clearer? At root, humans are both individuals and social animals. Here in America, we tend glorify the individual -- from the intrepid explorers, to the up-by-their-bootstraps industrialists to the steely-eyed war heroes. Our stories seldom speak about those who raised, trained, supported and assisted the main characters in achieving their ends, nor those who invented or provided the tools they used.

Individual desire and will are absolute requirements for being consistently great, because self-determination means we get to choose what we will endeavor. But they are far from the only requirements.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If I re-state it as the myth of "the self-made man" is it clearer? At root, humans are both individuals and social animals. Here in America, we tend glorify the individual -- from the intrepid explorers, to the up-by-their-bootstraps industrialists to the steely-eyed war heroes. Our stories seldom speak about those who raised, trained, supported and assisted the main characters in achieving their ends, nor those who invented or provided the tools they used.

Individual desire and will are absolute requirements for being consistently great, because self-determination means we get to choose what we will endeavor. But they are far from the only requirements.
But most people have those tools (and what about the "individual" who invented them....but that's another story) and didn't do what the great ones did. How many kids sat in the same classes with Jobs, or Zuckerberg, or Gates?? Or sometimes people are just brilliant, other people probably actually hold them back.

Granted it is sometimes "right place, right time" or "luck", but a lot of time we can make our own luck. I'd say about 80% is on the individual.

Reaction Score
Too often we are codling kids doing everything for them that they can do themselves instead of letting them get that experience and refine that skill we do it for them therefore they do not move forward with that skill.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
But most people have those tools (and what about the "individual" who invented them....but that's another story) and didn't do what the great ones did. How many kids sat in the same classes with Jobs, or Zuckerberg, or Gates?? Or sometimes people are just brilliant, other people probably actually hold them back.

Granted it is sometimes "right place, right time" or "luck", but a lot of time we can make our own luck. I'd say about 80% is on the individual.
  • As a young man, Steve Jobs became friends with Steve Wozniak and made a very nice living marketing Woz's creations.
  • Mark Zuckerberg went to Harvard and while there "borrowed" the ideas of some classmates for a social website and basically stiffed them after the idea caught fire. They sued (and won).
  • Bill Gates went to private schools and attended Harvard on his parent's dime. He also "borrowed" an idea, DOS, from someone else and like Jobs became very successful marketing other peoples' ideas.

Reaction Score

• [ ]As a young man, Steve Jobs became friends with Steve Wozniak and made a very nice living marketing Woz's creations.
    [ ]Mark Zuckerberg went to Harvard and while there "borrowed" the ideas of some classmates for a social website and basically stiffed them after the idea caught fire. They sued (and won).
    [ ]Bill Gates went to private schools and attended college at Harvard on his parent's dime. He also "borrowed" an idea, DOS, from someone else and like Jobs became very successful marketing other peoples' ideas.

Kermit Washington went to American University as a 6' 7" 180 lb center, grew an inch and added over 45lbs of muscle. He may have been the last college player to average 20 points and 20 rebounds. He went on to be the first player picked in the ? NBA draft.

There are thousands of other examples of people who succeeded due to self determination, and belief in themselves. If you read Chicken Soup for the Soul you will find plenty of examples.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Kermit Washington went to American University as a 6' 7" 180 lb center, grew an inch and added over 45lbs of muscle. He may have been the last college player to average 20 points and 20 rebounds. He went on to be the first player picked in the ? NBA draft.

There are thousands of other examples of people who succeeded due to self determination, and belief in themselves. If you read Chicken Soup for the Soul you will find plenty of examples.
Washington's coaches, parents, and teammates had zero to do with his success?

Reaction Score

I didn't see his coaches, parents, or teammates in the gym when it was over 90 degrees in the gym during the summer. I never saw them in the weight room either. In the good old days there were no strength, and conditioning coaches, all he had was an old universal weight machine.

Coach Lynham, Kermit's parents, and his teammates were a very small factor in his success. It was Kermit who paid his dues.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

I agree with you and your brother (I think he is) totally on this one. In the context of a large mass society there also is a tremendous amount of dependency on corporations and government in addition to the more communal network you mention. The trouble is when people are so heavily dependent on anonymous sources, not knowing by name who makes the best equipment that helps them succeed or who provides the infrastructure for things to happen, they can fancy themselves to be individuals instead. The more successful you are in this society the more you've benefited from those anonymous sources. Grizzly Adams we ain't.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I didn't see his coaches, parents, or teammates in the gym when it was over 90 degrees in the gym during the summer. I never saw them in the weight room either. In the good old days there were no strength, and conditioning coaches, all he had was an old universal weight machine.

Coach Lynham, Kermit's parents, and his teammates were a very small factor in his success. It was Kermit who paid his dues.

So Dolson would have become the player she is without Geno, her coaches and her parents, for it was Dolson who paid her dues....

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Rugged American individualism is largely a myth. Every person in a society is interdependent with others for inspiration and assistance at various points in life. And in addition, personal will to pursue certain things but even that will is often forged by others in or lives. Even a rugged individualist is most often the result of inspiration by others and their stories and dependent on the markets, the transportation, the media, the labor, or the skills etc. that was created before them. Are they often remarkable, yes, unique in their vision, yes, but rarely alone and often with critical mentors.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

• [ ]As a young man, Steve Jobs became friends with Steve Wozniak and made a very nice living marketing Woz's creations.
Yes "Jobs" did. Steve didn't. See?

• [ ]Mark Zuckerberg went to Harvard and while there "borrowed" the ideas of some classmates for a social website and basically stiffed them after the idea caught fire. They sued (and won).
Yes Mark did. The other's had an idea, but..........????? See?

• [ ]Bill Gates went to private schools and attended Harvard on his parent's dime. He also "borrowed" an idea, DOS, from someone else and like Jobs became very successful marketing other peoples' ideas.
And how many other people went to Harvard on their parents dime??? Who are they? Who was this "someone else"? See?

Individuals. Much more important.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No, nobody said that. Don't be disingenuous.

But what about the other 11 or so players on that team??? They had the same teammates and same coaches, and had parents??? What is different? I'll answer for you....the individual.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree with you and your brother (I think he is) totally on this one. In the context of a large mass society there also is a tremendous amount of dependency on corporations and government in addition to the more communal network you mention. The trouble is when people are so heavily dependent on anonymous sources, not knowing by name who makes the best equipment that helps them succeed or who provides the infrastructure for things to happen, they can fancy themselves to be individuals instead. The more successful you are in this society the more you've benefited from those anonymous sources. Grizzly Adams we ain't.
Then why doesn't everyone succeed? They all live in this society.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Rugged American individualism is largely a myth. Every person in a society is interdependent with others for inspiration and assistance at various points in life. in addition, personal will to pursue certain things but even that will is often forged by others in or lives. Even a rugged individualist is most often the result of inspiration by others and their stories and dependent on the markets, the transportation, the media, the labor, or the skills etc. that was created before them. Are they often remarkable, yes, unique in their vision, yes, but rarely alone often with critical mentors.
No one is saying they succeed on their own, completely void of any one else. But again, many, many people are given the same/similar opportunities, but not all succeed, or succeed to the same level. The difference has to be the individual.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So Dolson would have become the player she is without Geno, her coaches and her parents, for it was Dolson who paid her dues....
Maybe, maybe not. But Stokes has those same coaches and probably even better (for this situation) parents, and probably a lot more natural talent, but......who's starting center this year???? The one who's paid her dues.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No one is saying they succeed on their own, completely void of any one else. But again, many, many people are given the same/similar opportunities, but not all succeed, or succeed to the same level. The difference has to be the individual.
Nor do people succeed in the same manner, many choose to pursue paths that the world does not see as success and yet those individuals may achieve things no one else could dream or see. They, too, need others to inspire them, to encourage them, and to support them.

I disagree with you about the assumption that many don't believe that individuals really did it by themselves. They buy into a great lie. Nor is every giant of industry a story of moral triumph. Often it is very much the opposite.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Maybe, maybe not. But Stokes has those same coaches and probably even better (for this situation) parents, and probably a lot more natural talent, but......who's starting center this year???? The one who's paid her dues.
Your assessment of gifts here is superficial or at best incomplete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom