Recently Watched Movies 2024 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2024

Reaction Score
Saltburn. Stars Barry Keoghan and Charlie Quick, Jacob Elordi (looking very much like a Movie Star at 6'5") as Felix Catton. with multiple supporting roles. So I read that this was twisted, funny and bothered some people. I didn't find it funny at all and what bothered me was the unrealistic characterizations. Charlie and Felix are at Oxford. Felix is the most popular person there, men or women. He's handsome, rich, royal in some way and somewhat charming. Charlie is a dork. Charlie is a bit obsessed with Felix and ultimately becomes his friend. Felix invites Charlie to stay his house, Saltburn, for the summer. Much ensues and there ends the spoilers.

My main issue is that these people are viewed as not all that sharp and easily manipulated by young Charlie. I don't buy it. When I watch Jason Bourne, I know nobody can physically do what he can, but at least his reaction to amnesia and to the German girl who helps him, and her reaction to him, seems genuine. None of the people in Saltburn seem genuine to me. It feels like a poor attempt at class warfare - the rich are handed their money but are stupid and undeserving. So it pretty much flops.
Your main issue didn’t involve a bathtub drain???

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Your main issue didn’t involve a bathtub drain???
That was just disgusting. But if you want to connect it to what I wrote,
that guy was portrayed as the one who outsmarted the rest

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
"The General's Daughter" on Amazon Prime. I remember it from whenever it came out. I'm pretty sure I never saw more than bits and pieces of it. Adapted from a Nelson DeMille novel, which quite frankly I'm surprised there haven't been more of those. Anyway, at times a nasty and disturbing film. Strong cast--John Travolta, James Cromwell, James Woods, Timothy Hutton, Madeleine Stowe. It kept my attention, but it's not a great film. Definitely not promotional material for the U.S. Military. Travolta and Stowe are investigators for the Army working a bizarre murder case.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I got a nice surprise scrolling thru Paramount+'s movie selection this morning. Finally, after years of only being able to watch on a premium cable service, "Gone Baby Gone" is now available to stream without an uprgrade. Loved Lehane's book, loved the movie when I first saw in a theatre, and have been wanting to rewatch for years. That time has come. It's held up well and still, IMHO, remains the most "true-to-Boston" flick out there, even moreso than "The Town" or "The Departed". Ed Harris is so good in everything. Amy Ryan was skanky as all get out as the neglectful mom, Casey Affleck more than held his own with the material. I'll probably watch it again in a month or so. Wish there were more Kenzie/Gennaro screenplays.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Set It Up (Netflix) is what a romcom is supposed to be. Fun, funny, original enough to not be boring but not complicated that I have to give it 100% of my attention. Glen Powell and Zoey Deutch are good in the lead roles. They are fun, not intimidating, and seem like regular people. Taye Diggs and Lucy Liu are entertaining as their cartoonishly horrible bosses. Unlike a lot of romcoms, where I realize I can't stand one or both of them and am rooting for them NOT to get together (i.e. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days), Powell and Deutch are simply likable, which is an underrated quality in an actor, and it makes their characters likable.

It doesn't matter that the plot is completely predictable, because if you are watching this movie, you are not looking for a thriller. Good movie to have on in the background if you are working late.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"The Road Dance' is well done, but not a happy feel good movie. Set in the Outer Hebrides, Scotland during WW1. Strong performance from lead actress Hermione Corfield. I've seen her a few times, she's had a varied career thus far. Some good supporting performances as well. I was gonna do a brief plot synopsis, but that wouldn't sell it very well. I guess look it up if you're interested.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
"The Batman" (2022). As I've stated a billion times here, I'm not a fan of MCU or most movies made from comics characters. Batman has always been an exception as he's not graced with superhuman powers. He's just rich and can afford fancy toys.

Anyway, I've never really considered watching this one as I felt enough was enough and I didn't think anything could top "The Dark Knight". What was even the point of another director taking this on? Then the other day I heard a radio host I somewhat enjoy say that he thought this latest Batman might even be better as it focuses more on detective work than explosions and outrageous villains. So I watched it. And I found it to be pretty damned good and definitely worth making. I liked that the Penguin was just a guy and that the Riddler wasn't in a goofy green suit. The thing had substance to it. I still consider Ledger's "Joker" to be the sine qua non of villains, but I do like the way Reeves handled Penguin and Riddler (and Joker for his minute of screentime).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"The Batman" (2022). As I've stated a billion times here, I'm not a fan of MCU or most movies made from comics characters. Batman has always been an exception as he's not graced with superhuman powers. He's just rich and can afford fancy toys.

Anyway, I've never really considered watching this one as I felt enough was enough and I didn't think anything could top "The Dark Knight". What was even the point of another director taking this on? Then the other day I heard a radio host I somewhat enjoy say that he thought this latest Batman might even be better as it focuses more on detective work than explosions and outrageous villains. So I watched it. And I found it to be pretty damned good and definitely worth making. I liked that the Penguin was just a guy and that the Riddler wasn't in a goofy green suit. The thing had substance to it. I still consider Ledger's "Joker" to be the sine qua non of villains, but I do like the way Reeves handled Penguin and Riddler (and Joker for his minute of screentime).
I watched like five minutes of it and turned it off.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I watched like five minutes of it and turned it off.
It did start very slowly and depressingly. I actually paused the thing as I wasn't sure I wanted to invest in it, then went back to it couple of days later when it got good.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It did start very slowly and depressingly. I actually paused the thing as I wasn't sure I wanted to invest in it, then went back to it couple of days later when it got good.
It had mixed reviews because it simply doesn't have the pace and action of some of these movies, but has a lot more depth of character and is a pretty good movie as a result.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Watched a pretty interesting Korean flick last night - "Escape from Mogadishu" (Prime). Based on the true story of both the South Korean and North Korean embassy personnel being trapped in Mogadishu as civil war breaks out in the streets and everything goes to hell in a hand basket. It starts a bit slow, but once the city's systems and security break down the pace and tension quicken as both the South and North Korean ambassadors are compelled to work together to get out of Dodge. It may remind one of Argo, but IMHO it's much more intense as the total chaos in the streets seems vividly real thanks to the settings, the convincing cast of hundreds who play the rebels, and Ryoo Seung-wan's direction. If there's a complaint, it's that the Somali rebels and even the army shoot worse than Star Wars storm troopers. That said, I'll likely seek out another of Ryoo's films as I was very impressed with his skills in making this film. It's in Korean, but English subtitles are built-in, so no need to turn on subtitles.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I haven't seen the original "Highlander" in forever. I remember that was pretty cool when I was a kid. It's on Amazon Prime. Hasn't exactly held up well. It's dated of course which it can't help, but the acting is pretty bad and the sword play is laughable. But Beatie Edney (Highlander's girlfriend in Scotland) was a cutie, at least it has that going for it.

Reaction Score
Watched “Saint of Second Chances,” last night. It’s a Netflix documentary on Mike Veeck, son of Chicago White Sox owner Bill Veeck.

Starts off with his disastrous promotion “disco demolition night” where disco hating fans were invited to bring a disco record to the Cominsky park where they would all be blown up in the outfield between games of a scheduled double header. 50,000 showed up, and after the demolition, maybe 20,000 of them stormed the field went wild and stole the bases. (Sox had to forfeit 2nd game)

Bill sold the team shortly after, and the documentary follows Mike’s return to baseball as the owner of a series of minor (minor, minor, minor) league teams. Covers a series of absolutely crazy promotions he came up with (my favorite was “no fan” night where he chained the gates of the stadium closed, but still had the concession guys and ushers at their stations. Fans could watch the game by looking over the fence from outside the stadium.)

To give you some insight into the mind you’re dealing with, he named his son Night Train, figuring all things being equal, a guy named Night Train would make the roster before a guy named Joe.

Hilarious, and poignant at parts. Highly recommend.

Reaction Score
We just watched Oppenheimer. I didn't expect it to be so entertaining. Should be an easy Oscar winner.
I rented it Sunday. Fell asleep a half hour in. Tried again last night, fell asleep maybe 45-50 minutes in. Now the rental has expired. Oh well.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Along Came a Spider" (2001), the second movie w/ Morgan Freeman starring as Alex Cross. I hadn't seen it in forever. Decent thriller. I'd pretty much forgotten about Monica Potter, she disappeared. Centers around an abduction of a senator's daughter from her school, played by Nika Boorem. I've seen her in several things when she was a bit older. Kinda stunned when I recognized one of her classmates as Anton Yelchin, when he was around 12. Didn't realize he started acting that early.

Probably will rewatch the other Freeman/Alex Cross move, "Kiss the Girls." I remember that one being kinda creepy. Both are on Amazon Prime.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I rented it Sunday. Fell asleep a half hour in. Tried again last night, fell asleep maybe 45-50 minutes in. Now the rental has expired. Oh well.
I think your body is trying to tell you something. Maybe try Nugenix, it's totally tested and works for the Big Hurt.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
"Along Came a Spider" (2001), the second movie w/ Morgan Freeman starring as Alex Cross. I hadn't seen it in forever. Decent thriller. I'd pretty much forgotten about Monica Potter, she disappeared. Centers around an abduction of a senator's daughter from her school, played by Nika Boorem. I've seen her in several things when she was a bit older. Kinda stunned when I recognized one of her classmates as Anton Yelchin, when he was around 12. Didn't realize he started acting that early.

Probably will rewatch the other Freeman/Alex Cross move, "Kiss the Girls." I remember that one being kinda creepy. Both are on Amazon Prime.
If I recall, they are all pretty good, not great, but better than a lot of crap coming out now.

Reaction Score
If I recall, they are all pretty good, not great, but better than a lot of crap coming out now.

You won’t be disappointed.

I’m not posting a review or anything because I don’t want to spoil anything.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
You won’t be disappointed.

I’m not posting a review or anything because I don’t want to spoil anything.
They disappeared off Prime before I had a chance to watch the other one. I have seen, but it was a long time ago.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Infinite Storm (2022) - I had no idea I was watching Naomi Watts star in this movie. But I knew the lead actress was somebody.

Anyway, almost didn't make it through this one but its a boring Friday night. Watts plays a volunteer search and rescue person in the White Mountains. While hiking up to My Washington stumbles onto a guy half frozen to death. She gets him back down the mountain to safety.

Based on a true story. Watts does a great job. You get a lengthy full body nude scene as she slooooowly enters a bath tub.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Same. My wife was beyond bored. I was in agreement. Maybe we got halfway into it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom