Recently Watched Movies 2024 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2024

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Kicking of a new year with Rebel Moon. Zack Snyder movie on Netflix. It's basically a DC superhero movie set in space. It has all the same flaws that those recent DC movies have. Too much emphasis on fight scenes, slow motion and a lack of an actual story arc. It's amazing how similar this is. There's a plot of sorts, and some character development (not enough and spread too thin) but the basics of storytelling are lacking. The lead character is a strong, athletic young woman on a moon that comes under threat from the Motherland (Empire). Sound familiar? Yet there was more storytelling and more compelling character development in Star Wars Rebels than in this. Zack Snyder needs to watch one of the Kurt Vonnegut lectures on storytelling. It's not terrible, but it's not good.

Reaction Score
Saw Ferrari this weekend - very good racing scenes, but movie is more of a bio-pic of Enzo Ferrari's life in 1957 (it's not like Ford vs. Ferrari which is totally a racing-driven plot line). Adam Driver plays a very believable Enzo Ferrari, and Penelope Cruz is a tour-de-force as his estranged and incredibly pissed off wife Laura (truly a captivating performance). I was a little less enthralled with Shailene Woodley as Ferrari's mistress, but she was serviceable in the movie (wait, did that come out wrong?). The Italian scenery is beautiful in the film, and they do a great job making it visually anchored in the 1950s time period. Movie felt a tad long, but overall I do recommend it. I'd see it in the theater if possible, only because the racing scenes are intense and will probably lose some oomph on the TV screen. See it for Penelope Cruz's performance and the racing scenes.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I don't watch much horror, but tried something last night. "New Year, New You" is part of Blumhouse's Into the Dark series. Was actually a fairly good psychological thriller for more than half of its run time, a battle of wills between Suki Waterhouse and Carly Chaikin. When the killing started, it went downhill fast. It's New Year's Eve, 4 friends from high school gather at a house for a party. 3 of them have remained close, the other they haven't been in touch with for year's. Chaikin's character has turned into a social media influencer superstar. A shared trauma from the past isn't staying in the past.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Kicking of a new year with Rebel Moon. Zack Snyder movie on Netflix. It's basically a DC superhero movie set in space. It has all the same flaws that those recent DC movies have. Too much emphasis on fight scenes, slow motion and a lack of an actual story arc. It's amazing how similar this is. There's a plot of sorts, and some character development (not enough and spread too thin) but the basics of storytelling are lacking. The lead character is a strong, athletic young woman on a moon that comes under threat from the Motherland (Empire). Sound familiar? Yet there was more storytelling and more compelling character development in Star Wars Rebels than in this. Zack Snyder needs to watch one of the Kurt Vonnegut lectures on storytelling. It's not terrible, but it's not good.
I mostly agree with you, but I did enjoy it. To me it was much better than the steaming mess of Justice League that Snyder directed. My biggest frustration is that several of the characters seemed quite interesting, like there was much more I wanted to know about them, but we only got a little tease. It was not main characters, like Jimmy the robot, Sam the village girl and the young princess.

Looking at Snyder's films, he's definitely hit and miss for me. He's always been more style than substance, but some of his films have been more entertaining than others IMO. 300, Watchmen (how did I not know he directed that?), Man of Steel and even Sucker Punch are watchable. Batman vs. Superman, Justice League and Army of the Dead are all garbage.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We just caught Poor Things. It's a combo of Frakenstein and Educating Rita set in late-Victorian England. I give it a pretty good.

Reaction Score
A Man Called Otto (2022) - Tom Hanks stars as a grouchy old property manager who's had a pretty sad run of things. Without any spoilers, I'll say this. The movie really has little to no action and is driven by Hanks and his spoken and unspoken acting and he's (as always) so good. The movie is super sad and dark at times though and I probably shouldn't have kicked off 2024 with something a little lighter. Worth a view but be prepared.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
A Man Called Otto (2022) - Tom Hanks stars as a grouchy old property manager who's had a pretty sad run of things. Without any spoilers, I'll say this. The movie really has little to no action and is driven by Hanks and his spoken and unspoken acting and he's (as always) so good. The movie is super sad and dark at times though and I probably shouldn't have kicked off 2024 with something a little lighter. Worth a view but be prepared.
This has been on my list for awhile. Honestly, just not up for anything deep, emotional and depressing. There was way too much of that in real life in 2023.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Leave the World Behind (2023 - Netflix) - This is one of the most annoying big budget movies I have seen. Every thriller trope is covered in this by the numbers treacle. A lot of the drama could have been avoided if the characters had simply not lying to each other. All the weird earie stuff, like the boy's sickness, are never explained so none of it has any meaning. It is just a bunch of random things happening that look cool.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Barbie (2023). `Gret Gerwig's surprise hit. First 15-20 minutes are insufferable. Then it hits its stride and is pretty funny. Margot Robbie is gorgeous, and Ryan Gosling adds a lot of humor as Ken. Note: everyone is named Barbie or Ken, except Allan. There are a lot of references to actual Barbie/Ken outfits that were recreated. Stylistically it is really well done, not CGI, but a throwback creation that really looks like a real life Barbie world. Is it a uber-feminist "girl power" movie. Yes, sort of. Lots of "patriarchy" references, but I think the message is much more nuanced. Ultimately, Kens need Barbies and Barbies need Kens.

Reaction Score
Fair Play (2023 - Netflix)

If you're looking for a great, new psychological thriller, this is the one. An unexpected promotion at a cutthroat hedge fund pushes a newly engaged couple's relationship to the brink.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This has been on my list for awhile. Honestly, just not up for anything deep, emotional and depressing. There was way too much of that in real life in 2023.
Check out the original first - A Man Called Ove. I just can't see Hanks being better than this one.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Fair Play (2023 - Netflix)

If you're looking for a great, new psychological thriller, this is the one. An unexpected promotion at a cutthroat hedge fund pushes a newly engaged couple's relationship to the brink.

I liked the movie a lot for the first 2/3's, and then it completely went off the rails.

Reaction Score
Witness For The Prosecution – 1957 – Charles Laughton, Marlene Dietrich, Tyrone Power
Witness For The Prosecution – 1982 – Ralph Richardson, Diana Rigg, Beau Bridges
The Witness For The Prosecution – 2017 – Kim Cattrall, Billy Howle, Toby Jones
Written by Agatha Christie. I found the 1957 version one night on Tubi while searching for movies after having finally cut the cord. I found multiple version and watched three. The 1957 version with Charles Laughton was by far the best, 1982 was very similar, almost word for word, and the 2017 version was very different.
If you aren't familiar with the story, watch the 1957 version with Charles Laughton first.

Speaking of Agatha Christie, I’ve also recently watched:

Death on the Nile – 2022 – Kenneth Branagh, Annette Bening, Russell Brand, Gal Gadot
A Haunting in Venice – 2023 – Kenneth Branagh, Tina Fey, Michelle, Kelly Reilly, Yeoh, Jamie Dornan
Murder on the Orient Express – 2017 – Kenneth Branagh, Penelope Cruz, William Defoe, Judi Dench (I saw a while ago but included with this list)
I really enjoy these movies and will work through more Hercule Poirot films from the old days. He is a master at observing details and deduction. Kenneth Branagh does an excellent job.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's based on the Swedish film A Man Called Ove. Swedish films can be a little dark. I suspect it's the long depressing winter. I did want to see the Hanks version. Thanks for the reminder.

Reaction Score
Witness For The Prosecution – 1957 – Charles Laughton, Marlene Dietrich, Tyrone Power
Witness For The Prosecution – 1982 – Ralph Richardson, Diana Rigg, Beau Bridges
The Witness For The Prosecution – 2017 – Kim Cattrall, Billy Howle, Toby Jones
Written by Agatha Christie. I found the 1957 version one night on Tubi while searching for movies after having finally cut the cord. I found multiple version and watched three. The 1957 version with Charles Laughton was by far the best, 1982 was very similar, almost word for word, and the 2017 version was very different.
If you aren't familiar with the story, watch the 1957 version with Charles Laughton first.

Speaking of Agatha Christie, I’ve also recently watched:

Death on the Nile – 2022 – Kenneth Branagh, Annette Bening, Russell Brand, Gal Gadot
A Haunting in Venice – 2023 – Kenneth Branagh, Tina Fey, Michelle, Kelly Reilly, Yeoh, Jamie Dornan
Murder on the Orient Express – 2017 – Kenneth Branagh, Penelope Cruz, William Defoe, Judi Dench (I saw a while ago but included with this list)
I really enjoy these movies and will work through more Hercule Poirot films from the old days. He is a master at observing details and deduction. Kenneth Branagh does an excellent job.

Charles Laughton is one of my wife's favorite actors. I like him quite a bit as well. Haven't seen the 1957 version of "Witness For the Prosecution" in a quite a while, but it is certainly a very good movie.

Reaction Score
It's based on the Swedish film A Man Called Ove. Swedish films can be a little dark. I suspect it's the long depressing winter. I did want to see the Hanks version. Thanks for the reminder.
I reread my review and I am not sure I recommended it enough. I really did like it and if you like hanks it’s yet another masterclass. He acts and conveys with eye movements or small smirks so well. It’s very well done.

CL82

Reaction Score
I reread my review and I am not sure I recommended it enough. I really did like it and if you like hanks it’s yet another masterclass. He acts and conveys with eye movements or small smirks so well. It’s very well done.
He's come a long way since Bosom Buddies.
IMG_1353.jpeg

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1. That was a long movie. And convoluted even by MI standards. Wasn't really as thrilling as they usually are either. I don't think there's anywhere left to go with chase scenes, so they just made them interminably long. And the scene w/ the train cars that were falling over an abyss one by one, it just would not end. I've enjoyed most of the films in the franchise, but this one seemed below par. But the ladies represented well, Rebecca Ferguson and Vanessa Kirby were back, and then you've got Hayley Atwell and Pom Klementieff (nice to see her not in Mantis makeup from the Marvel movies, so you can actually see what she looks like) added in. Kinda cool seeing some old school character actors like Henry Czerny and Shea Whigham.

Reaction Score
The original ( A Man Called Ove)
The original (( A Man Called Ove)is excellent.

Reaction Score
We just caught Poor Things. It's a combo of Frakenstein and Educating Rita set in late-Victorian England. I give it a pretty good.
I thought Poor Things was very good albeit weird. It was a bit too long and there was a lot of sex, so be warned if that's not your thing. The acting was excellent al around ( especially Emma Stone) as was the cinematography/ CGI of the outdoor scenes (Lisbon, the ocean, etc). It covered serious thought provoking issues and also made me laugh.

The best movie I saw in the theater in the last month was the Holdovers (Paul Giamatti is always good ).

The Boys in the Boat was pretty good. It's a feel good sports film.

Wonka was better than expected. Its a prequel to Charle and the Chocolate Factory and better than that

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Barbie (2023). `Gret Gerwig's surprise hit. First 15-20 minutes are insufferable. Then it hits its stride and is pretty funny. Margot Robbie is gorgeous, and Ryan Gosling adds a lot of humor as Ken. Note: everyone is named Barbie or Ken, except Allan. There are a lot of references to actual Barbie/Ken outfits that were recreated. Stylistically it is really well done, not CGI, but a throwback creation that really looks like a real life Barbie world. Is it a uber-feminist "girl power" movie. Yes, sort of. Lots of "patriarchy" references, but I think the message is much more nuanced. Ultimately, Kens need Barbies and Barbies need Kens.

Since everyone has seen Barbie or at least knows the plot by this point, I won't use the "spoiler alert" feature, but spoiler alert.

This is a good movie that is not nearly as clever or biting a satire as it thinks it is. It tries to have it both ways, both mocking its source material doll line while also using the source material to make a statement about society. Fine, but most of the jokes are obvious and kind of low hanging fruit. The movie is not particularly insightful, and leans heavily on jokes based on stereotypes, particularly when it comes to the Kens. I am not sure what to make of the difference between Gosling's moronic Ken and Simu Liu's sarcastic, cooler Ken.

Gosling's Ken's insecurity is funny and interesting, but seems to come from the fact that Barbie takes him for granted and no one respects him. Rather than explore that, the movie makes Ken the villain with a bunch of over-used tropes about patriarchy, when there is something more interesting but complicated to say about the role of men and women in modern society. Instead, there is a ridiculous plot twist with Ken taking over Barbieland, and the movie spends the second half of the movie sexualizing the female barbies, and then has America Ferrara give a long, expositional monologue explaining what the movie means because I think even the writers realized they had kind of missed an opportunity with the movie (Ferrara's monologue also felt a little derivative of a speech Mila Kunis gave in Bad Moms). It is also a little disappointing that the Barbies regain their power in a "feminist" movie by using sexuality and dishonesty to manipulate men into violence.

I don't get the point of Will Farrell's character at all. On the other hand, the movie misses an opportunity with Rhea Pearlman's Ruth Handler. Ruth Handler is a really interesting and complicated real-life person, an entrepreneur and role model female executive in an era where there were virtually none, but also someone who admitted to fraud. With such an interesting real feminist behind the creation of Barbie, why did the movie spend so much time mocking the creation of Barbie?

The acting was so good that I think that is part of why the movie seems better than it really is. Robbie is good, and Gosling is as good as the reviews say, but Simu Liu is a legitimately good actor, which is surprising for a guy that was an accountant into his 20's. He is one or two good movie choices from A list.

I enjoyed the movie on a surface level, but it is not Oscar caliber, and not as good as other movies that cover the same ground, like Bad Moms or, going back further, 9 to 5.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Barbie (2023) It took me a couple of days to get through it. Didn't enjoy the songs. If you're eight years old, the colors are pretty. The climax of the movie is Barbie finally gets her period. Yuck.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Okay, since everybody else is weighing in on Barbie. The set up with Barbieland was silly but fun I thought. They lost me when parts of the real world were realistic, and parts were even more bizarre than Barbieland. Why? The toy company and all the execs there was just stupid. The patriarchy completely taking over Barbieland in 1 day made no sense either. Overall I thought there were some very good performances, but the movie was junk. I don't get the hype over it at all.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Retirement Plan (2023) - This movie is so bad it's actually a fun watch. A simple paycheck movie for everyone.

Nick as a retired military guy and a grandfather. Looks like this:

1704597354735.png

He kills a lot of guys. All the guys belong to a Miami drug pin played by the punk motorcycle kid from the original Bad News Bears.

UNC's Ricky Fox is also in this.

CL82

Reaction Score
The Retirement Plan (2023) - This movie is so bad it's actually a fun watch. A simple paycheck movie for everyone.

Nick as a retired military guy and a grandfather. Looks like this:

View attachment 94810

He kills a lot of guys. All the guys belong to a Miami drug pin played by the punk motorcycle kid from the original Bad News Bears.

UNC's Ricky Fox is also in this.
Definitely could've been better. Nick Cage phones it in. If Nick Cage isn't going to overact and over emote in a movie, why bother having him in it?

A lot of miscasting in this. The main "pseudo mob "bad guy is completely unimpressive. I did enjoy Ron Pearlman as Bobo, but, man, has he gotten an old.

If you gave Clint Eastwood, Arnold Schwarzenegger or even Robert De Niro the Cage role it could've been a better movie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom