Realistically, can Uconn win it all? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Realistically, can Uconn win it all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
It's highly dependent on chemistry but it's not out of the question.

Reaction Score
If we stay healthy and Brimah stays out if foul trouble, YES. Brimah is a game changer on the defensive end IF he can stay on the court.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I am thinking of placing a bet in vegas, 2000 to win 100,000 if these odds are correct at 5000. I love that they added Gibbs to go along with Purvis and Hamilton, Brimah is a great shot blocker to have. You gotta hope Nolan the senior plays his best year. Any help would be appreciated!
Do you have to bet $2K? Would you get the same odds on $200? 10 large is still a pretty good payoff for a lot less risk. Of course, if you can afford it, all the power to you.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
No, it's not. That's why it's called a "guess," and that's why it's called a "bet."

The question was whether it is realistic to believe that they can based on what we know right now, because that is when the OP is making his bet.

Yeah. They really don't let you bet after the games.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Odds in Vegas for us are about 20-1 just put 100 on us to win the other night

Reaction Score
Really bad mojo to be talking this way. But, in full disclosure I purchased a bet to win it all this season - just like I did summer of 13 for the 2013-2014 season.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I think we are underestimating how difficult it is to win a championship. Just because we are UConn and have a deep team does not mean it makes any sense to put $2000 on the line (unless of course you have that kind of money to blow). Almost every tournament game in 2011 and 2014 (except maybe Bucknell and Cinci) could have easily gone either way. Yes we had VERY hot guard play, but we also partly had a horse shoe stuck up our a**. SDSU, Zona, Kentucky both times, St. Joe's, MSU, Iowa State, Florida-- all those games came down to at least the last 5 minutes. The Butler game was just atrocious, I guess we credit our defense to that one and the fact that Butler didn't show up.

Bottom line, don't bet 2 Gs.

Reaction Score
I think we are underestimating how difficult it is to win a championship. Just because we are UConn and have a deep team does not mean it makes any sense to put $2000 on the line (unless of course you have that kind of money to blow). Almost every tournament game in 2011 and 2014 (except maybe Bucknell and Cinci) could have easily gone either way. Yes we had VERY hot guard play, but we also partly had a horse shoe stuck up our a**. SDSU, Zona, Kentucky both times, St. Joe's, MSU, Iowa State, Florida-- all those games came down to at least the last 5 minutes. The Butler game was just atrocious, I guess we credit our defense to that one and the fact that Butler didn't show up.

There are no sure things. That's why it's called gambling. That's also why it's fun.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm putting some loot on it.

But in all honesty, I'm just happy to be here. If we lose every game by 50, it will have been an honour to have played the game against such great competition.

Reaction Score

We had a horse shoe stuck up our a**, what are you talking about? You listed 8 games where we had a horse shoe, this is beyond dumb. I thought Fogg was going to hit that three at the end of the Zona game and Brimah's three point play against St. Joe's saved the day but you're out of your mind saying we had a horse shoe in all those games. Just a really strange post all around.

Reaction Score
I like our chances. Another thought..what kind of team did UNLV have before they won in 90. The year before that is. I thought LJ was a transfer or Juco guy, but i was pretty young. Didn't follow the game that much at that age. Could our concerns about chemistry and a hand full of new players be compared to the 90 UNLV team? Are there similarities?

Reaction Score
Anyone who says either yes or no is full of it.

For all intents and purposes, this is a brand new team, so it's impossible to make any guesses without seeing them play at all.

Would you say the same about Kentucky and Duke? Hell, you could really say the same about any team in the country aside from maybe North Carolina. College basketball, more than any other sport, is about taking condensed bits of information and extrapolating it into something bigger. We haven't seen any of these kids play together...but we've seen each and every one of them play, and play well, against high level competition.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I got $200 on UConn to win it all at 65-1 at the Wynn just last weekend. So yes they can, and let's hope they do.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
We had a horse shoe stuck up our a**, what are you talking about? You listed 8 games where we had a horse shoe, this is beyond dumb. I thought Fogg was going to hit that three at the end of the Zona game and Brimah's three point play against St. Joe's saved the day but you're out of your mind saying we had a horse shoe in all those games. Just a really strange post all around.
The NCAA tournament is one of the craziest sporting events (you know, March MADNESS) in the world. We are usually good and overlooked in the tournament, but we would be lying to ourselves if we didn't factor luck into the equation. Despite how hot we were playing, we could have EASILY lost most of those tournament games.

What happened to us going back-to-back last year? We couldn't win the AAC and we couldn't get in the NCAA tourney. Hell, we couldn't even get out of the first round of the NIT. Do I like this teams chances next year? Absolutely. But I also like 40 other teams' chances.

As far as I'm concerned, this team has a lot to prove. As for the OP, considering all the above factors, I wouldn't bet $2000. That's all I'm saying. Am I really the one out of my mind?

Reaction Score
Odds in Vegas for us are about 20-1 just put 100 on us to win the other night
wow 20-1 now? Glad I put a g on them a week before Gibbs committed to Uconn and got 100-1( thx to callMebruce or whatever is name is who called the transfer to uconn before he even made public he was transferring)Last time I made a solid bet on them it worked out, I love those a odds I got on them this year, 100-1 is so outta whack. just don't see too many teams with a better starting lineup and depth better than us. If our chemistry is there, which I believe won't be an issue from everything I've read from our players and our veteran team, I truly think we are being severely underrated heading into this season and if everything clicks- watch out!

Reaction Score
Call me crazy but don't we have to see some of these guys dribble or shoot with a dog on their shirt before we start lining up for trophies?

Reaction Score
Call me crazy but don't we have to see some of these guys dribble or shoot with a dog on their shirt before we start lining up for trophies?
Do you think having a dog on his shirt will affect Gibbs' shot? Or Miller's D?
You certainly can argue about the impact of an untested freshman, but Adams is the only individual unknown on this team.
For the rest, it's known ingredients and we're all just wondering about the chemistry.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The wynn had it 60 to 1 2 weeks ago....

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
There's a big difference between lining up for trophies and gambling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom