Realistically, can Uconn win it all? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Realistically, can Uconn win it all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Call me crazy but don't we have to see some of these guys dribble or shoot with a dog on their shirt before we start lining up for trophies?

I would love to hear why you think that changing uniforms is going to make D1 college basketball players suddenly get worse at basketball.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Also, is there even a dog on UConn's shirts?

Reaction Score
I think we are underestimating how difficult it is to win a championship. Just because we are UConn and have a deep team does not mean it makes any sense to put $2000 on the line (unless of course you have that kind of money to blow). Almost every tournament game in 2011 and 2014 (except maybe Bucknell and Cinci) could have easily gone either way. Yes we had VERY hot guard play, but we also partly had a horse shoe stuck up our a**. SDSU, Zona, Kentucky both times, St. Joe's, MSU, Iowa State, Florida-- all those games came down to at least the last 5 minutes. The Butler game was just atrocious, I guess we credit our defense to that one and the fact that Butler didn't show up.

Bottom line, don't bet 2 Gs.
very strange way to look at things, you watched games like Iowa St, Florida, MSU, and UK in the last tourney and thought there was alot of luck on their side? They basically led Iowa St and UK wire to wire, and once they flipped the Florida and MSU games they dominated them, especially the Florida game.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Yes, we have enough talent and we have a coach who get the most out of it. NCAA breaks down to six games. Patino, Calhoun, K and Izzo are coaches who seem to max out on matchups. Ollie is one of these guys so we have a real shot.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Call me crazy but don't we have to see some of these guys dribble or shoot with a dog on their shirt before we start lining up for trophies?
No. People view that as being "out of your mind" around here. We're the crazy ones. But the ones betting $2000 on a championship 7 months away are not crazy.

Reaction Score
The NCAA tournament is one of the craziest sporting events (you know, March MADNESS) in the world. We are usually good and overlooked in the tournament, but we would be lying to ourselves if we didn't factor luck into the equation. Despite how hot we were playing, we could have EASILY lost most of those tournament games.

What happened to us going back-to-back last year? We couldn't win the AAC and we couldn't get in the NCAA tourney. Hell, we couldn't even get out of the first round of the NIT. Do I like this teams chances next year? Absolutely. But I also like 40 other teams' chances.

As far as I'm concerned, this team has a lot to prove. As for the OP, considering all the above factors, I wouldn't bet $2000. That's all I'm saying. Am I really the one out of my mind?
This is so ridiculous, I guess by your standards there is luck involved in any win in any sporting event. We pretty much controlled every one of those games excluding the St. Joe's game where it took a huge three point play from Brimah before we dominated in overtime.

Reaction Score
RayIsTheGOAT said:
No. People view that as being "out of your mind" around here. We're the crazy ones. But the ones betting $2000 on a championship 7 months away are not crazy.

Maybe they just have more money to play with than you do. You would prefer to make your bet with 30 seconds left in the Finals?

If the question posed here is does UConn "have a realistic shot" at winning it all I don't see how, based on past history, you can say no.

Reaction Score
very strange way to look at things, you watched games like Iowa St, Florida, MSU, and UK in the last tourney and thought there was alot of luck on their side? They basically led Iowa St and UK wire to wire, and once they flipped the Florida and MSU games they dominated them, especially the Florida game.

Yeah, I thought there was more luck involved in the 2011 run than 2014. Not only did UConn outplay 'Nova, Iowa State, MSU, Florida, and Kentucky but I also came away from all those games thinking UConn was the better team and would win a series. A lot of credit has to go to Ollie for how he adjusted mid-game...I think three of those teams had us down double digits at one point or close two it and then it was like a switch flipped as you say.

SDSU, Arizona and Kentucky all seemed like toss-up games to me...not to mention Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville in the Big East tournament that each basically came down to one play.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We had a horse shoe stuck up our a**, what are you talking about? You listed 8 games where we had a horse shoe, this is beyond dumb. I thought Fogg was going to hit that three at the end of the Zona game and Brimah's three point play against St. Joe's saved the day but you're out of your mind saying we had a horse shoe in all those games. Just a really strange post all around.

I thought we featured the best guards (and best player) in the country in both of those tourneys. Every team needs some breaks, but the aforementioned is largely why we won. Not horseshoes.

Reaction Score
There are no sure things. That's why it's called gambling. That's also why it's fun.

Championship futures are notoriously terrible bets, especially the non-favorites. Point spreads are created to elicit action on both sides, which makes for a fair line. For championship futures, though, there is no other side. You can't bet against a team, so the line is not designed to be fair. They're all overcosted relative to the actual chances of the team to win, because Vegas knows fans of teams will still make futures bids "Because this is our year!" Favorites are a little more fair because Vegas wants to spread out the betting so they don't get hammered when one team they slipped up on wins.

Reaction Score
Championship futures are notoriously terrible bets, especially the non-favorites. Point spreads are created to elicit action on both sides, which makes for a fair line. For championship futures, though, there is no other side. You can't bet against a team, so the line is not designed to be fair. They're all overcosted relative to the actual chances of the team to win, because Vegas knows fans of teams will still make futures bids "Because this is our year!" Favorites are a little more fair because Vegas wants to spread out the betting so they don't get hammered when one team they slipped up on wins.

You only need to hit1 to garner a return on your investment 100x's the capital invested. As the previous poster articulated that is the fun of it. UConn has turned out to be the exception to the norm as it relates to futures odds. That is why the subject heading post has merit.

Reaction Score
I am thinking of placing a bet in vegas, 2000 to win 100,000 if these odds are correct at 5000. I love that they added Gibbs to go along with Purvis and Hamilton, Brimah is a great shot blocker to have. You gotta hope Nolan the senior plays his best year. Any help would be appreciated!

_uck yeah!!!!!!!!!! I like to think "when" we win not "if"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc