Reading the SU board | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Reading the SU board

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
Ridiculous and ancient Syracuse argument. Don't tell us who you played, tell us who you beat. And last time I checked, you havn't beaten UConn recently even if our schedule is so terrible.
Not a Syracuse argument, a UConn argument. Look who our coach is.

As for our schedule strength, unfortunately the replacement of West Virginia on the schedule by Temple weakens it. It may not have a single ranked team - I think Louisville will be ranked, but that's about it. It's not a strong schedule. At least next year has Michigan.

Reaction Score
Pj,

Apologies. I misinterpreted your statement. However the Syracuse fans have made a careers in Internet posting by saying that it isn't that their football team is bad, it's that their competition is so dam good... Neglecting to mention that they play the same conference schedule as us and have rarely fared better.

Reaction Score
Temple beat Maryland and the blessed Saint Edsall last year - kicked their butts.

Reaction Score
The falloff at cuse was because they didn't pump $ into the program like other big boys did. As result cuse came back to the pack and PP left. Cuse just now is trying to spend $ to catch back up. It's to late as uconn and even Ruty has passed them. They have a better chance of turning into bc then old cuse.

P left? Like, voluntarily?

I don't understand why people need to fight about what is a clear history that P had at Syracuse as if it has, had or will have anything to do with Edsall. P had a great run at Syracuse, and then fell off the cliff and was fired with a fanbase that was demanding it. Hopefully, his career at UConn is more reflextive of the first part of his run at Syracuse than the last part.

Reaction Score
Fire PP and bring back RE. Is this your position?

How many times do you need to ask him, or anyone else, this question when it is absolutely clear that not a single poster on this board has even one time asked for Edsall to be hired back? Why can't you actually argue with what people say? If you want to start a thread about how people overestimated Edsall go for it but have the decency to title the thread fairly so those of us sick of this crap can avoid it.

P's record at Syracuse has zippo to do with what Edsall accomplished at UConn. But to act like it's only Edsall supporters who are raising questions about P's tenure at Syracuse when he was run out of town at the end of his stay is, to say the least, intellectually dishonest.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Not directed at you, BL... but I'm just curious why some folks in general seem to completely ignore or discount the wealth of NFL experience that Coach P was exposed to in his years after 'Cuse? Kind of silly to evaluate him today based on work 10 years ago, without considering all that he has learned since? I'd argue that his NFL experience is way more valuable to UConn's future than his time at Syracuse.

pj

Reaction Score
The history is fairly clear, but it's hardly fair to say PP "fell off a cliff". He had Syracuse as a top 20 team for 10 years, then it fell to a top 50 team his last 3 years. After he left it fell further to a #100 team for 4 years, now they're fighting their way back to #60. It looks to me like Syracuse fell down a hill and PP did a fair job of suspending/delaying/minimizing the fall. Once he left, they went to the bottom of the hill.

Personally, I don't think it will be that easy to replicate what he did at Syracuse in his first 10 years. With the Internet there's more visibility to northeast high school players, and it's easier than ever for coaches elsewhere to make contact and fly here. Recruiting budgets and travel budgets for recruiting are much bigger with all the TV deals, and air fares haven't increased. There's no longer a big pool of under-recruited northeastern players, and kids aren't necessarily as attached to staying local for college. The Internet and cheap air fare have made long-distance travel seem more normal. The unsettled conference situation is another problem.

I still think he's an outstanding coach, though, and I think if he can win some recruiting battles then he'll get us sniffing at the top 25 every other year or so. If we can be consistently as good as WVU has been or Louisville will be this year, I think we can be very pleased.

Reaction Score
Pj,

Apologies. I misinterpreted your statement. However the Syracuse fans have made a careers in Internet posting by saying that it isn't that their football team is bad, it's that their competition is so dam good... Neglecting to mention that they play the same conference schedule as us and have rarely fared better.
that was certainly the case at one point - but there's pretty much a consensus on the SU board now as to the badness of the football teams since 2001. That being said - this season the schedule is brutal and the competition is so damn good........;)

Reaction Score
Not directed at you, BL... but I'm just curious why some folks in general seem to completely ignore or discount the wealth of NFL experience that Coach P was exposed to in his years after 'Cuse? Kind of silly to evaluate him today based on work 10 years ago, without considering all that he has learned since? I'd argue that his NFL experience is way more valuable to UConn's future than his time at Syracuse.

Because my experience tells me that NFL experience, especially being an assistant, is just not that relevant to the job of being a college head coach. You probably increase your knowledge about many technical aspects of play, and more complicated offenses and defenses, but (i) with limited practice times in college I'm not sure more complicated is an advantage (see, e.g., Charley WEiss) and (ii) a head college coach has an awful lot of jobs to do running the program that are more important than his technical skill teaching skills.

I think it's a credit to P that he has his NFL experience on his resume. Does it seem nearly as relevant to me as his success at a nearby and roughly similarly situated college in predicting how well he will do here? I don't think it does.

Just my opinion.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
cuse didn't invest into its program to kepp it in the top 20. PP had the cuse rocking and they watched the fall of bball with uconn rising and got distracted not putting the $$ into fball. other programs on that top level were fball first investing big $$ and thats why cuse slowly fell off. PP was a good coach so his last couple years they fell off slow. as soon as he left that school and its 80% of its dumb fanbase then realized how bad the school ignored $$ support for the program. its only recently the past month that they are talking about facility aditions and stuff. they are forever behind us. PP knows what hes doing and this is his last job in the fball world most likely. he also knows that uconn is willing to invest in the program so $$ won't be the issue like it became at cuse. hes hungry and so am i.
La la la la la la la la la la la

Swing sweet charity
Take what's left of me
A new beginning or is this the end
Swing sweet Seraphim
Take me back again
or watch me make the messes of men

Reaction Score
that was certainly the case at one point - but there's pretty much a consensus on the SU board now as to the badness of the football teams since 2001. That being said - this season the schedule is brutal and the competition is so damn good........;)

Yeah, but once you get through this year, your schedule gets significantly easier next year.

Reaction Score
The history is fairly clear, but it's hardly fair to say PP "fell off a cliff". He had Syracuse as a top 20 team for 10 years, then it fell to a top 50 team his last 3 years. After he left it fell further to a #100 team for 4 years, now they're fighting their way back to #60. It looks to me like Syracuse fell down a hill and PP did a fair job of suspending/delaying/minimizing the fall. Once he left, they went to the bottom of the hill.

Personally, I don't think it will be that easy to replicate what he did at Syracuse in his first 10 years. With the Internet there's more visibility to northeast high school players, and it's easier than ever for coaches elsewhere to make contact and fly here. Recruiting budgets and travel budgets for recruiting are much bigger with all the TV deals, and air fares haven't increased. There's no longer a big pool of under-recruited northeastern players, and kids aren't necessarily as attached to staying local for college. The Internet and cheap air fare have made long-distance travel seem more normal. The unsettled conference situation is another problem.

I still think he's an outstanding coach, though, and I think if he can win some recruiting battles then he'll get us sniffing at the top 25 every other year or so. If we can be consistently as good as WVU has been or Louisville will be this year, I think we can be very pleased.

1. If you want to say "fell down the cliff" instead of "fell of the cliff" that is a reasonable position.

2. The great thing is we will get to see if he is still an outstanding coach and can be as consistently good as WVU has been. If he achieves that, he is an outstanding coach. And no one will be happier than I will be. But if that's what he is going to accomplish, our recruiting this year needs to move up the rankings by more than a margin of error amount, and we need to win a lot of games with no outstanding team on our schedule and a defense that returns a huge number of multi-year talented starters.

Reaction Score

I don't understand why people need to fight about what is a clear history that P had at Syracuse as if it has, had or will have anything to do with Edsall. P had a great run at Syracuse, and then fell off the cliff and was fired with a fanbase that was demanding it. Hopefully, his career at UConn is more reflextive of the first part of his run at Syracuse than the last part.
Actually P. was fired by the new AD after leading SU to a bowl game. They stunk up the bowl.

While I agree that SU wasn't any great shakes and the P. machine was probably stalled, playing in a bowl game is far from falling off a cliff.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Because my experience tells me that NFL experience, especially being an assistant, is just not that relevant to the job of being a college head coach. You probably increase your knowledge about many technical aspects of play, and more complicated offenses and defenses, but (i) with limited practice times in college I'm not sure more complicated is an advantage (see, e.g., Charley WEiss) and (ii) a head college coach has an awful lot of jobs to do running the program that are more important than his technical skill teaching skills.

I think it's a credit to P that he has his NFL experience on his resume. Does it seem nearly as relevant to me as his success at a nearby and roughly similarly situated college in predicting how well he will do here? I don't think it does.

Just my opinion.
Fair enough!

Reaction Score
Actually P. was fired by the new AD after leading SU to a bowl game. They stunk up the bowl.

While I agree that SU wasn't any great shakes and the P. machine was probably stalled, playing in a bowl game is far from falling off a cliff.

I will give you this -- when you're at the summit, falling off a cliff leaves you at a higher elevation than if you fall from halfway up the mountain.

P had a consistent, ranked program. The last five years he was below average within a Big East conference that was not nearly as deep as it is today. And, his last year, he went to a bowl game at 6-5 in a year that they only avoided a losing season because we turned it over 8 gazillion times in the dome while gaining about 600 yards. And the size of their losses were so huge, that was not a decent team -- it was a poor team.

But again, I am not trying to ignore or downplay the good that P accomplished early in his career in CNY. It's just that as someone who hires people, I tend to focus more on what they've done recently than what they've done less recently. I don't think that makes me unusual.

Since we're engaged, out of curiosity why is it important for people to be so sensitive in defending his record at Syracuse. We've hired him and he's our coach. Doesn't matter at this point whether he's Greg Robinson Nick Saban. He's our coach and we need to win football games.

pj

Reaction Score
Since we're engaged, out of curiosity why is it important for people to be so sensitive in defending his record at Syracuse. We've hired him and he's our coach. Doesn't matter at this point whether he's Greg Robinson Nick Saban. He's our coach and we need to win football games.

In September we win football games. In May we win arguments.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

P had a great run at Syracuse, and then fell off the cliff and was fired with a fanbase that was demanding it. Hopefully, his career at UConn is more reflextive of the first part of his run at Syracuse than the last part.

PP tied for first his final year at SU. By your own definition that is success, not falling off a cliff.

Reaction Score
say what you will about P's term in Syracuse, but he gave me one of my favorite BC losses of all time to close out 2004. i was actually a pretty big cuse fan that day.

Reaction Score
Just a comment in general.......even after he's long gone and is sucking every ounce of energy out of UMD's fanbase........the divide between the Apologista's and Antagonista's is still very prevalent on this board.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
P's record at Syracuse has zippo to do with what Edsall accomplished at UConn. But to act like it's only Edsall supporters who are raising questions about P's tenure at Syracuse when he was run out of town at the end of his stay is, to say the least, intellectually dishonest.

If Edsall did at UCONN what PP did while he was "falling off a cliff", you would have a even bigger superjohn for him.

I don't get how mediocracy from Edsall is exalted but similar seasons from PP aren't.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Just a comment in general.......even after he's long gone and is sucking every ounce of energy out of UMD's fanbase........the divide between the Apologista's and Antagonista's is still very prevalent on this board.

I think its funny how someone like BL can think Edsall did a great job and a coach who achieved SIGNIFICANTLY better results is questioned at every turn.

Reaction Score
I think its funny how someone like BL can think Edsall did a great job and a coach who achieved SIGNIFICANTLY better results is questioned at every turn.

i think it's funny that you'd compare the two situations considering how little they really have in common. i also think BL's main point is that Syracuse's past Orange Bowl appearances don't help us any more than Miami's Orange bowl appearances help us

Reaction Score
If Edsall did at UCONN what PP did while he was "falling off a cliff", you would have a even bigger superjohn for him.

I don't get how mediocracy from Edsall is exalted but similar seasons from PP aren't.

You seriously don't understand that? Because if that is really the case, I can make it very easy for you.

College football is not a video game where anyone can take a program and make it significantly better than it is in real life. In college football, moving a team up in the world is a huge accomplishment, as Indiana tends to stay Indiana and Michigan tends to stay Michigan (not every year but for the most part). P had a great run when he started at Syracuse, but it was with a program that was traditionally the second strongest program in the Northeast and had produced players like Jim Brown, Ernie Davis and Floyd Little. Edsall took a mediocre Yankee Conference (fine, Colonial) team in a small state where high school football is not king and made us competitive in a BCS conference in a short period of time. It is comparing apples and oranges. If you think, SDH, that P's apples at Syracuse are more impressive than Edsall's oranges in Storrs, that's fine. I think that is a perfectly reasonable opinion. But what is not reasonable is simply looking at results, and wins and losses, without factoring in the advantages and disadvantages of the program. How many championships did Urban Meyer win at Bowling Green and Utah? Because he wasn't as smart as when he got to Florida? Of course not. Because absolute grand slam home runs at each of those schools was accomplishing what he accomplished, notwithstanding that a grand slam home run in Gainesville requires more.

But again, it is not me, or Whaler, who ever turns these discussions to Edsall. It is those who for some reason those who don't want to see P analyzed (much less criticized) so we end up with those who don't like Edsall turning it back to him.

So, for the record, I rooted for P and Syracuse a lot, I like him as a man from what I see, I give him credit for his successes and responsibility for his failures while at Syracuse, he is not whom I would have hired to replace Edsall but I don't think it was stupid or irrational for UConn to have gone after him. He has my total support and when I drive to college park on September 15 I will not have any hesitation or nostalgia or be there for any purpose other than to root our boys in blue and white home. And none of that has a bloody thing to do with Randy Edsall whatsoever except in the mind of people filled with irrational anger.

Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog