Reading the SU board | The Boneyard

Reading the SU board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
is like picking at a scab, you know you shouldn't do it but you just can't help yourself. Lesson learned.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
The joke was definitely better the third time around

Reaction Score
Syracuse fans believed UCONN's entrance into the BCS and Big East would be accompanied by years of futility by Husly fans. Eight years later it is UCONN that has two conference championships, a BCS bowl appearance and dominate the Orange on the field.

Most Orange fans view their pending entrance into the ACC as the panacea that will separate their historic program once and for all from the newbies like UCONN, Rutgers and USF. It's a way to puff their chest and say "see we are better" even if the results on the field portray something completely different. UCONN will continue to compete against the Orange just fine regardless of conference affiliation. Recent rumblings suggest to me that UCONN and Syracuse may end up in the same conference sooner rather than later anyway.

Like a lot of college football fans, Syrcuse fans don't favor a level playing field, because under that scenario, they tend not to fare very well.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Syracuse fans believed UCONN's entrance into the BCS and Big East would be accompanied by years of futility by Husly fans. Eight years later it is UCONN that has two conference championships, a BCS bowl appearance and dominate the Orange on the field.

It kills them that what happened in hoop happened in football.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
It kills them that what happened in hoop happened in football.

No, in BB, UCONN joined SU as a nationally relevant program.

In football, SU fell from being nationally relevant to nationally terrible after PP left. UCONN went to mediocre and therefore is greater than nationally terrible.

Hopefully PP will coach another nationally relevant program.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No, in BB, UCONN joined SU as a nationally relevant program.

In football, SU fell from being nationally relevant to nationally terrible after PP left. UCONN went to mediocre and therefore is greater than nationally terrible.

Hopefully PP will coach another nationally relevant program.

They fell from being relevant while he was still there. That is why he wasn't there anymore.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
They fell from being relevant while he was still there. That is why he wasn't there anymore.

Of course, PP tied for first in the BE in his final season and over his last 5 years, had the most BE programs.

He also had Ray Rice and Green coming in. He would have been back.

Reaction Score
Fruit fans posting are analogous to Kevin Bacon's role in Animal House as he tries to calm the crowd that's about to mow him down.

Reaction Score

It's not even June yet. Can you postpone your inevitable crusade against P until we actually lose a game?

You are quickly becoming Palatine during the Edsall years.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's not even June yet. Can you postpone your inevitable crusade against P until we actually lose a game?

You are quickly becoming Palatine during the Edsall years.

How is it a crusade to point out that he isn't at Syracuse because his teams fell off.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
10-3 and a a top 14 finish is the kind of "falling off" i can handle

LOL, yeah if 2001 was his last season.

Before that last good season he went 7-5 and 6-6.

Then the good year, then closed with;

4-8
6-6
6-6

Last game a bowl loss of 51-17. The talent he left behind went 1-10 in 2005.

Forget the gimmes OOC that was his record starting 2-0 every year with Rutgers and Temple on the schedule. If you go 8-12 in the Big East over those 3 years that means you were 1-12 against non Temple, Rutgers, UConn competition. That leaves the win over BC in 2004 as the only decent conference win in three seasons.

Lets not pretend that isn't horrible.

pj

Reaction Score
He played tough schedules. The 6-6 record his last season (2004) included losses to Purdue, Virginia, Florida State, West Virginia, and Georgia Tech and wins over Cincinatti, Rutgers, Pitt, UConn, and BC (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/183/year/2004/syracuse-orange). The 2003 season had wins over Notre Dame and North Carolina and losses to #9 Miami and #23 West Virginia.

Given what Syracuse became after he left, I think his record is pretty good. He can coach. We just have to see if he can pull in the recruit quality that will let us compete at a high level.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
The falloff at cuse was because they didn't pump $ into the program like other big boys did. As result cuse came back to the pack and PP left. Cuse just now is trying to spend $ to catch back up. It's to late as uconn and even Ruty has passed them. They have a better chance of turning into bc then old cuse.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sorry I shouldn't have assumed they beat Temple. Turns out they beat Pitt instead in 2004 and gave up a 41 spot to a Temple team that got blown out by UConn.

They lost to Purdue by 51.
Virginia by 21
WVU by 21
Temple by 10
Georgia Tech by 34

So they went 0-4 against OOC major opponents and lost those games by a combined 110 points, but they beat Buffalo who wasn't even in the MAC yet I don't think, Cinci who was still in CUSA, UConn who was in the league a year early, Rutgers.... So they didn't suck out loud. They beat 2 mediocre teams in Pitt who lost to Utah by what? 500 and a BC team that gagged on the cusp of the BCS.

How were they not horrible?

sdhusky

Reaction Score
No my position is that Syracuse sucked when he left. Pretty simple.

Would you take PP's body of work or Edsall?

or ice cream?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Would you take PP's body of work or Edsall?

**** or ice cream?

I'm not quite sure what it has to do with Edsall, but sure PP's body of work to date in his career is better. I only care what he ends up doing at UConn though, so why don't you ask me when that's over.

Reaction Score
The Cuse AD did what so many ADs do, listen to the fan base and then react without a good plan. In comes GRob and his NFL rings, defensive wizard, rebuilder of recruiting.......... disaster of the monumental proportions!

I'm not sold on PP, but by all accounts he was a solid coach at Cuse and the challenges that were developing there went well beyond the things that he could be held accountable. Kick him out, hire an untested comodity and whala!....you have one of the most significant declines in a college football program in modern history.

Marrone might get them back as a middle of the pack type of program. At least he knows how to field something that resembles a defense.

pj

Reaction Score
Two points:

Syracuse's record after PP left -- 1-10 in 2005, 4-8 in 2006, 2-10 in 2007, 3-9 in 2008, 4-8 in 2009, on schedules that got progressively easier -- suggests that there were institutional issues, not just head coaching issues. College football is not a one man show.

In 14 years as head coach at Syracuse, Pasqualoni had a losing record only once. In that year (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/183/year/2002/syracuse-orange) they played 5 ranked teams plus BYU, North Carolina, BC, and Rutgers. You can still be a top 40 - top 50 team and have a 4-8 record on that kind of schedule.

Every year at Syracuse, his schedule was tougher than the one UConn is playing.

I'll take a head coach whose worst year out of 14 still puts him in the top 50 teams nationally, and does it carrying an albatross of a school that other coaches fail at.

Reaction Score
No my position is that Syracuse sucked when he left. Pretty simple.

Thats after 14 years, long time for a coaching gig. He will leave here raising the overall talent in the program.

Reaction Score
Two points:

Syracuse's record after PP left -- 1-10 in 2005, 4-8 in 2006, 2-10 in 2007, 3-9 in 2008, 4-8 in 2009, on schedules that got progressively easier -- suggests that there were institutional issues, not just head coaching issues. College football is not a one man show.

In 14 years as head coach at Syracuse, Pasqualoni had a losing record only once. In that year (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/183/year/2002/syracuse-orange) they played 5 ranked teams plus BYU, North Carolina, BC, and Rutgers. You can still be a top 40 - top 50 team and have a 4-8 record on that kind of schedule.

Every year at Syracuse, his schedule was tougher than the one UConn is playing.

I'll take a head coach whose worst year out of 14 still puts him in the top 50 teams nationally, and does it carrying an albatross of a school that other coaches fail at.

Ridiculous and ancient Syracuse argument. Don't tell us who you played, tell us who you beat. And last time I checked, you havn't beaten UConn recently even if our schedule is so terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom