Randy Edsall | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ok so I'm an amateur on this thing. uconnphil2016 is my boyfriend. We were chillin out last night watching UConn victory over Notre Dame in 2009, great game. Randy Edsall made a choked up speech about how the win was for Jasper Howard. I said that seemed pretty sweet, and then uconnphil starts *going off* on me about Randy Edsall being a big doucher. He said I would only understand if broached the subject in the boneyard. Feel free to enlighten.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
@uconnphil2016 how do I get my girlfriend to watch 7 yr old football games with me?

Bodybuilding-bible-legal-bodybuilding-steroids-muscle-building-stacks-Bodybuilding-Fitness-Your-Guide-to-Building-Muscle-Supplements-Bodybuilder-Photos-youm-misr-9.jpg

When you look like this, it aint hard

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Ok so I'm an amateur on this thing. uconnphil2016 is my boyfriend. We were chillin out last night watching UConn victory over Notre Dame in 2009, great game. Randy Edsall made a choked up speech about how the win was for Jasper Howard. I said that seemed pretty sweet, and then uconnphil starts *going off* on me about Randy Edsall being a big doucher. He said I would only understand if broached the subject in the boneyard. Feel free to enlighten.

simply put? he is a hypocrite, he expected things out of his players that he did not do himself as well as abandoning this program when it was on the verge of taking that proverbial "next step" into legitimacy as a contender year in and year out.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
You can ask the people here for their opinions. They see the coach and envision a reflection of what they think happens every day on a football team.

You can also ask the players he graduated, who he taught. They ARE the people that know Randy Edsall.

Reaction Score
I kind of give Randy a pass on walking out without telling his players. Some people have a really hard time with having the courage to let people down. I can meet new people, speak in front of a large group etc., but I have a really hard time firing someone for instance. I can't even fire my lawn guys and they do a horrible, horrible job.

Randy is a hard ass with a soft spot for his players. That was a situation I'd really struggle with and I may have been just as cowardly. I'd regret it later, but I can see myself doing it. We all have weaknesses. I've never liked difficult conversations.

If you want to know a few other reasons to dislike Randy, then I'd go with the fact he always made excuses dumping losses on the players and execution, he didn't think we could recruit great players to UConn and said so publicly and he couldn't find a quarterback that could throw as well as I can. When he did find one (Endres), he kicked him off the team for smoking weed while we were competing with schools that buy weed and hookers for their players.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Edsall was good coach at UConn helping us make the transition to BCS football. The job he did with the team after Jazz Howard's death was really amazing. You can see the heartfelt emotion by Edsall. I truely beleive it was a great "coaching" job keeping the team together and working through the grief. (It's a story that needs to be told IMO. I toy with writing a book about it. Maybe it will be a retirement project for me...when I get there.)

The next year UConn shared the Big East conference championship and went to the Fiesta Bowl. An astonishing accomplishment for our young program. After the game Edsall didn't fly home with the team. Instead he flew to Maryland for an interview for their head coaching position. He didn't address the team in person, something he insisted his early departure players do, and many of them learned about his resignation through the media. Clearly it wasn't a particularly classy exit. Some are still bitter about it. A bitterness heightened, perhaps, by the fact that his successor drove the program into the ground.

Last edited:

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Edsall was good coach at UConn helping us make the transition to BCS football. The job he did with the team after Jazz Howard's death was really amazing. You can see the heartfelt emotion by Edsall. I truely beleive it was a great "coaching" job keeping the team together and working through the grief. (It's a story that needs to be told IMO. I toy with writing a book about it. Maybe it will be a retirement project for me...when I get there.)

The next year UConn shared the Big East conference championship and went to the Fiesta Bowl. An astonishing accomplishment for our young program. After the game Edsall didn't fly home with the team. Instead he flew to Maryland for an interview for their head coaching position. He didn't address the team in person, something he insisted his early departure players do, and many of them learned about his resignation threw the media. Clearly is wasn't a particularly classy exit. Some are still bitter about it. A bitterness heightened, perhaps, by the fact that his successor drove the program into the ground.

If I may add, Edsall was having issues for years with Jeff Hathaway, the UCONN athletic director at the time. Edsall did not handle the leaving well, and every time we had a better year, we had to renegotiate to a bigger contract for him. But that being said, he did a great job taking us from nothing to a credible program and doing it the right way. I will always think highly of Randy, his way of leaving notwithstanding. He was a great coach for us and brought many happy memories to me - more than any other football coach we have had.

Reaction Score
I need to separate Edsall the coach from Edsall the person. He was a good coach and probably ideal for where we were as a program at the time. He obviously cared for his players, and their attitude towards him to this day reflects that. He was replaceable, and the fact that we did a lousy job replacing him doesn't change that.

As a person? Well, if you judge someone by how he treats people that can't do anything for him, he fails that test. I have stories, and I know others do as well.

Reaction Score

I will score this post:

1 - "We were chillin out last night watching UConn victory over Notre Dame in 2009 .." = plus 1 for phil
2 - ",great game." = plus 1 for phil
3 - "I said that seemed pretty sweet," = plus 1 for phil
4 - "uconnphil starts *going off* on me ..." = minus 1 million!!!!

I could barely get my wife to 2 games a season until our daughter enrolled at UCONN and joined the UCMB!

DON'T THIS UP PHIL!!!!! ;)

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I need to separate Edsall the coach from Edsall the person. He was a good coach and probably ideal for where we were as a program at the time. He obviously cared for his players, and their attitude towards him to this day reflects that. He was replaceable, and the fact that we did a lousy job replacing him doesn't change that.

As a person? Well, if you judge someone by how he treats people that can't do anything for him, he fails that test. I have stories, and I know others do as well.

Excaliber, how would you rate Edsall vs Diaco on the above criteria from what you know?

Reaction Score
Excaliber, how would you rate Edsall vs Diaco on the above criteria from what you know?

Don't know enough about Diaco to have an opinion. My opinion on Edsall is from personal encounters and encounters that people I know have had with him.

Reaction Score
I will score this post:

1 - "We were chillin out last night watching UConn victory over Notre Dame in 2009 .." = plus 1 for phil

I could barely get my wife to 2 games a season until our daughter enrolled at UCONN and joined the UCMB!

I also give him a few points because when we watch old games I haven't seen he keeps the final score a secret so I can be surprised

Reaction Score
I will score this post:

This could end up being The-Boneyard version of The Truman Show.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
If we turn a corner with HCBD this year we may finally be able to talk about RE without getting all emotional about his perceived abandonment. As I recall, even as he was sneaking us into the Fiesta Bowl through the back door there were plenty of BY'ers thinking he'd brought us as far as he was going to and that there were down years coming. Getting us to the Fiesta was a great achievement and the leadership he showed through the Jazz tragedy was impressive but I for one, don't think the ceiling was going to get much higher under RE. I don't really fault him for leaving either although he made such a point of Todman 'owning' his decision to leave that he did look pretty hypocritical. Bottom line though, is that RE didn't hire PP. Very soon though, we'll be churning out 10 win seasons with regularity and can finally get past all this negative history talk.

Reaction Score
Randy did a great job getting us to D1 with players with nostars, many of whom are still playing on Sundays. He had one QB during that time, the rest were not so good. His players loved him but he did have a tendency to blame them after losses. He did not get along with the idiot AD and was not as media savvy as he should have been. He took us to the MOUNTAINTOP a feat no one could have predicted. His leaving us in the lurch in Arizona was even he would admit was poorly handled. When we played the Terps the following September he broke up after the game and hugged many of our (his) players. Overall a plus for me except for the plane ride from Zona.:):):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom