r/CollegeBasketball user claims to have insider info on Cooper Flagg -> UConn* | Page 4 | The Boneyard

r/CollegeBasketball user claims to have insider info on Cooper Flagg -> UConn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fair point on the NBA current talent, but when you pull up that current list it's not 5 star recruits for Duke. Is Kyrie Irving a recruiting tool? Or Mason Plumlee? Or Luke Kennard?
You said put players in the NBA. It's easy to count if we want to. Kyrie Irving was drafted in 2011, 12 years ago. So he's not even in the discussion if we're going off what you said.

Reaction Score
Why the hell are we the little brother to Duke here? Why shouldn't our hopes be high that he's coming here? If I were him, I sure would. Since he was 8-10 years old, we have had far more success, put more players in the NBA and our coach is better than their coach. If he chose Duke? I'd almost look at that as a mistake on his part. And if I'm wrong, let the lineup of NBA starters from the last decade tell me so.

Everything he wants matches up perfectly with us and he should come here. We're on top and not leaving anytime soon.
As much as I love and think highly of our program, our MO is predominantly recruiting under-ranked recruits ranked between 30 and 100 with one or two top 25 recruits. Rarely do we land top 10. And more often than not, at least one of those lower ranked players ends up developing much higher than their ranking. I don't think there's a program that can match what UConn has done in that regard. JC and now Hurley have proven to be coaches that have done more with less, while IMO coaches at most of the Blue Chip programs such as Dook, UNC, Kentucky, Zona and Kansas have predominantly done less with more. I'd put Tom Izzo close to that does-more-with-less category, though he's had his share of top 10 & 20 talent. He's led Sparty to quite a few deep runs into March, but has struggled to get his team as the last one standing (8 F-4s but only 1 NC). I can't name any specific players but recall some moderately ranked ones that ended up excellent college players and some turned out to be very good pros.

Getting back on point, like it or not, Dook still continues to haul a treasure trove of highly ranked recruits (Top 5, 10...25) just about every year. So it's not a slap in the face that many would view it as an upset if UConn lands the #1 ranked recruit, who's also considered one of the best ever, over a program like them.

With that said, there are many valid reasons why Cooper might choose UConn over that evil empire, which I listed in a different thread. I think we're a better fit for what he might be looking for. Any recruit, regardless their ranking, who wants to win and is willing to learn and work hard would benefit by choosing UConn. All indications point to Cooper being that type of competitor.

If you want to be a player that slaps the floor, go to Duke. If you want to be part of a team that b**** slaps the opponent on both ends of the court then UConn is the obvious choice.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
IMG_3307.jpeg

Reaction Score
Every kid wants their decision to be a mystery. That’s why they set commitment dates and make a big theatrical experience out of it. It just seems weird suddenly everyone is hearing UConn after Duke has been the favorite this whole time, and he’s visiting them for the second time right before his commitment.
Except it's not really a mystery. As soon as they set a commitment date every college basketball reporter is doing an interview with them for the article they release seconds after the announcement. It may be a mystery publicly, but as soon as that commitment date is set everyone behind the scenes knows

Reaction Score
You said put players in the NBA. It's easy to count if we want to. Kyrie Irving was drafted in 2011, 12 years ago. So he's not even in the discussion if we're going off what you said.
So you think we should be the underdog in this recruiting chase? If so, why?

Reaction Score
As much as I love and think highly of our program, our MO is predominantly recruiting under-ranked recruits ranked between 30 and 100 with one or two top 25 recruits. Rarely do we land top 10. And more often than not, at least one of those lower ranked players ends up developing much higher than their ranking. I don't think there's a program that can match what UConn has done in that regard. JC and now Hurley have proven to be coaches that have done more with less, while IMO coaches at most of the Blue Chip programs such as Dook, UNC, Kentucky, Zona and Kansas have predominantly done less with more. I'd put Tom Izzo close to that does-more-with-less category, though he's had his share of top 10 & 20 talent. He's led Sparty to quite a few deep runs into March, but has struggled to get his team as the last one standing (8 F-4s but only 1 NC). I can't name any specific players but recall some moderately ranked ones that ended up excellent college players and some turned out to be very good pros.

Getting back on point, like it or not, Dook still continues to haul a treasure trove of highly ranked recruits (Top 5, 10...25) just about every year. So it's not a slap in the face that many would view it as an upset if UConn lands the #1 ranked recruit, who's also considered one of the best ever, over a program like them.

With that said, there are many valid reasons why Cooper might choose UConn over that evil empire, which I listed in a different thread. I think we're a better fit for what he might be looking for. Any recruit, regardless their ranking, who wants to win and is willing to learn and work hard would benefit by choosing UConn. All indications point to Cooper being that type of competitor.

If you want to be a player that slaps the floor, go to Duke. If you want to be part of a team that b**** slaps the opponent on both ends of the court then UConn is the obvious choice.
You're including Calhoun era recruiting and he has been gone since 2012. Maybe, just maybe, we're the spot the top 10 recruits should come to today. Maybe Flagg is the kid that starts the flow of "Duke" level recruits here to our national championship program and 5 star facilities.

Reaction Score
Is it at all possible that Donovan might be thinking of staying at UConn for 3 years? I don’t consider that likely, but is it possible? I mean he could use NIL money to buy an insurance policy on his health to protect future earnings. Obviously this is total speculation, but what if that is a possibility and if he conveyed that to Cooper?
DC= becoming greatest college player since Alcindor !!!! Let’s go!!!!

Reaction Score
So you think we should be the underdog in this recruiting chase? If so, why?
I didn't say that. Where did I ever say that? It wasn't even part of the discussion I was having in this thread.

Reaction Score
100%. Nowell is all about winning every game I've seen him play (probably 10). It's not about the flashy play, he makes the best play. Strong as hell for his size too. He and Solo are going to tear up opponents on defense.
Nowell reminds me of (mentality wise) a Fatts Russell at RI with Hurley. Even if he doesn’t start, he’ll play meaningful minutes. Dan loves those tough, gritty, philly kids

Reaction Score
I’m still being prepped for let down, but…. You can come to a proven program that’s a recent winner focused on developing talent where you’ll be immortalized.

Or

Go to a program with a unproven coach and just be another guy. (He’s not just another guy, but with the current nba players, he’ll just be another fit in)

Reaction Score
You're including Calhoun era recruiting and he has been gone since 2012. Maybe, just maybe, we're the spot the top 10 recruits should come to today. Maybe Flagg is the kid that starts the flow of "Duke" level recruits here to our national championship program and 5 star facilities.
He just might be that top-10 Pied Piper, though Castle was ranked #9 by 247. We don't need to land Cooper to continue our success, but I hope we land him since he's a special player that we'd all love to see play at UConn even if it's just for one season. With that said, I enjoy seeing our Huskies with only a handful of highly ranked recruits knocking off programs with a whole bag full of Burger AAs on our way to cutting down the nets as the last program standing.

Maybe our program's success is starting to result in Hurley getting a solid percentage of the recruits he wants regardless to how high or low they may be ranked. He's not the type of coach that just recruits based on how high they are ranked, but how much he thinks they'll develop and how well they fit his program. I'm all for that and I think Cooper Flagg is the type of player who's not only a once in a decade type of player but also one who has that out work and out play you DNA that we like to see here in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Just remember if he comes here i was the first to call it. Itd be funny if my post was what started all this speculation lol!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
For the first time today I actually allowed myself to envision our roster makeup with Flagg. I assume we are going to go portalling for a PG? Seems like we would have way too much talent to entrust the reigns to a true freshman.
Maybe, but the ways things are going today it seems like Hurley would want what you call a PG to be at least 6-5 or better 6-7 and long. Last year Andre 6-7, Newton 6-5. Solo is 6-3 but like Andre I think he will play bigger and with a lot of heart from what I hear. He is also looking for guards/wings that can shoot from outside and the taller helps when taking it to the rim not to mention on defense.
It has taken me to quite awhile to accept this current formula but if we are going to live up to the JC standard of "being NBA ready" when leaving Uconn then it follows that being NBA ready is NBA tall, long and a shooter with overall discipline and defensive capability. I'm starting to get this as the norm but DH leaving room for exceptional talent and intangibles like say Solo.

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Not to mention that a front court that could include Flagg, Karaban, and potentially Clingan would be an exceptionally good passing front line.
The thought of what you just said above is almost incomprehensible but I am absolutely loving it.

Reaction Score
For the first time today I actually allowed myself to envision our roster makeup with Flagg. I assume we are going to go portalling for a PG? Seems like we would have way too much talent to entrust the reigns to a true freshman.
I’m still not convinced he’s coming here. A lot of people hate the fact that UConn won it all last year, and a lot of them would love to see the Boneyard implode. I really think Cooper is still undecided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom