Put (A Little) Money Where Your Mouth Is | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Put (A Little) Money Where Your Mouth Is

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I get that NIL is where we are but I think this where the disconnect is. You wanna pay the players like coaches, just have the school pay them. They should become employees like other professionals. The whole NIL thing where it’s up to the fans to buy players just seems weird.
I hear ya and there is a huge case in Congress that's likely going to shake college sports to it's core and create the separation we've all been waiting for. It's about revenue sharing for student athletes. It's going to be a game changer and it will not be pleasant for us.

Reaction Score
I hear ya and there is a huge case in Congress that's likely going to shake college sports to it's core and create the separation we've all been waiting for. It's about revenue sharing for student athletes. It's going to be a game changer and it will not be pleasant for us.
It won't be pleasant for anyone, that will signify the end of college sports if they go down that path.

Reaction Score
It's very generous of Mr. D'Amelio to make this offer and for those who choose to participate. My sense is that NIL will drive consideration paid to players at top programs well into the millions per team. Competing at the highest levels will be based largely on access to funding for these NIL programs. As a broken record, this is unfettered professional athletics with just about unrestricted free agency. It's probably worse than that, because as best I can tell there are little if any regulations that can be enforced - so the wild west analogy seems about right.

That all said, it's not for me. I don't begrudge the kids making some money, but NIL as it's presently structured is going to put some real money in kids hands (and probably none at all in others). In my opinion, the millions should be shelled out by the NFL and NBA. In the realm of the ridiculous - it used to be that a coach or booster could get a program in trouble for buying a kid a steak. Now here we are.....

Total and complete lack of leadership and vision by the schools, athletic departments, coaches and NCAA. They all lined their pockets and now they've lost control.
Agreed. Look at Texas football’s NIL. It makes David and Goliath look like a fair fight.

Reaction Score
It won't be pleasant for anyone, that will signify the end of college sports if they go down that path.
It’s already over… there is no turning back. The implosion needs to happen so it can be rebuilt.

Reaction Score
NCAA needs to be dissolved and new governing entity built with current (and future) world in mind.

Reaction Score
Forgive if I'm wrong but I never understood why a Booster Club specific for football was never implemented like The Friends of Soccer or the Dugout Club. Especially coinciding with the move to D1 and Big East. Just to coordinate giving. Are the NIL COOPs coordinated for football?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I would like to understand how money gets to a recruit? For example, a transfer wants 10k to come play for us. Does Moras then reach out to the collective to get them involved?
Pretty much, absent some window dressing. Everything the NCAA ever penalized programs for doing in the past is now effectively legal. Players can get NIL money from national shoe and apparrel companies, local car dealerships, personal appearances, or simply no-show or thinly veiled pass through opportunities. There isn't supposed to be direct coach or program involvment depending on individual state laws, but in reality, it is the wild west, gold rush, beanie babies, bitcoin craze all in one. Cutouts and runners already existed, they are the only thing that hasn't changed.

Reaction Score
CFB is rapidly becoming, or has already become, a no-holds barred battle space for muti-millionaires and billionaires supporting their alma maters or favorite team. We are headed towards nuclear war in CFB. We need a T. Boone Pickens caliber whale to build up our nuclear arsenal. Do we have one?

Reaction Score
CFB is rapidly becoming, or has already become, a no-holds barred battle space for muti-millionaires and billionaires supporting their alma maters or favorite team. We are headed towards nuclear war in CFB. We need a T. Boone Pickens caliber whale to build up our nuclear arsenal. Do we have one?
I’m working on it. Don’t think it’s gonna happen sadly.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be great if some billionaire took an irrational, obsessive interest in seeing if he/she could use their unfathomable fortune to build lowly UConn into a national champion, just to spite all the other billionaires and millionaires supporting the exclusive P4. That's my fantasy.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be great if some billionaire took an irrational, obsessive interest in seeing if he/she could use their unfathomable fortune to build lowly UConn into a national champion, just to spite all the other billionaires and millionaires supporting the exclusive P4. That's my fantasy.
Mine too... . That and building a McMansion development called Morningwood Estates...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom