Purdue | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Purdue

Reaction Score
We have a tough road ahead- think we are getting way too ahead of ourselves- after the upcoming DePaul game- we have six challenging games in a row- would expect us to lose two of them- hopefully still finish with a 1 seed- that’s where our focus should be- wouldn’t be the worst thing to lose a game before the tournaments.

Reaction Score
First, Edey is huge, but gets tired quickly and is very slow. I would be surprised if he were to play more than 25 minutes against us as our focus would be to run, run ,run. Our guards are more athletic than theirs and they run simple sets which we could easily defend. And, believe me they have not seen a team play defense like we do. Plus, I like our coach alot more than theirs.

Reaction Score
Toss up being honest. A lot would depend on how it is whistled. Our centers have a tendency to foul and Edey has a tendency to draw fouls. Though a lot of Clingan's fouls are drawn by smaller centers. Edey is way stronger than Clingan but much less mobile. On the flip side, Newton and Castle also draw a ton of fouls from the opposition and I can't imagine UConn's guys would be scared of Edey in the paint.

Purdue moves the ball well and shoots it well but doesn't exactly cut as well as UConn on offense because they have the big tower that really can't cut. They do get a lot of good threes by swinging the ball around off pretty simple action because Edey draws so much attention and Smith does a great job of attacking seams.

On defense they play an aggressive drop, similar to Creighton, to the point it is basically a one-man zone. Clingan also plays a drop but in a much more mobile fashion. Not sure how well their guards would do with all the dribble hand offs UConn runs, or how Edey would deal with all the cutting and passing UConn would run around the rim. Clingan should also kill Edey up and down the court which could lead to a good amount of good fast break opportunities.

They do rebound the ball well though and crash the glass with more than just Edey (if you double him). Clingan would really need to keep him off the glass and the rest of the guards would have to gang rebound, which is kind of what UConn already does.
Clingan is only inches shorter and 30 lbs lighter than Edey I think.....7'2", 280 lbs vetsus 7'4", 310 lbs...but Clingan is more agile. And howmuch upper bpdy stregth stronger is Edey compared to Clingan...by a lot, moderately more, or by a liitle bit?

Reaction Score
Toss up being honest. A lot would depend on how it is whistled. Our centers have a tendency to foul and Edey has a tendency to draw fouls. Though a lot of Clingan's fouls are drawn by smaller centers. Edey is way stronger than Clingan but much less mobile. On the flip side, Newton and Castle also draw a ton of fouls from the opposition and I can't imagine UConn's guys would be scared of Edey in the paint.

Purdue moves the ball well and shoots it well but doesn't exactly cut as well as UConn on offense because they have the big tower that really can't cut. They do get a lot of good threes by swinging the ball around off pretty simple action because Edey draws so much attention and Smith does a great job of attacking seams.

On defense they play an aggressive drop, similar to Creighton, to the point it is basically a one-man zone. Clingan also plays a drop but in a much more mobile fashion. Not sure how well their guards would do with all the dribble hand offs UConn runs, or how Edey would deal with all the cutting and passing UConn would run around the rim. Clingan should also kill Edey up and down the court which could lead to a good amount of good fast break opportunities.

They do rebound the ball well though and crash the glass with more than just Edey (if you double him). Clingan would really need to keep him off the glass and the rest of the guards would have to gang rebound, which is kind of what UConn already does.
Fellows, big men who are not used to play against similar sized big men struggle. And we don’t need DC to go off offensively. Purdue is nothing without their big guy scoring in the low post. This would not be a close game. Next Purdue game, watch how many open 3’s they give up and how many they take. Good guys would win by 10 plus.

Reaction Score
Purdue is the one team I don't want to play in the NCAAs. I'd take us over any other team in CBB without a doubt. Our efficiency metrics are essentially the same but they've played a tougher schedule. Edey is a more rounded player offensively, better conditioned, and fouls less than Clingan and isn't a liability at the FT line. I just don't see that matchup working well for us. Clingan will hear his name first in the 2024 draft though.
We are almost with our frontcourt because Clingan almost as good and almost as large as Edey. I think backcourt can easily handle Purdue's backcourt.

Who would win? I'll say toss up, for now.

Reaction Score
Purdue is the one team I don't want to play in the NCAAs. I'd take us over any other team in CBB without a doubt. Our efficiency metrics are essentially the same but they've played a tougher schedule. Edey is a more rounded player offensively, better conditioned, and fouls less than Clingan and isn't a liability at the FT line. I just don't see that matchup working well for us. Clingan will hear his name first in the 2024 draft though.
We're better everywhere else and Clingan can at least slow down Edey. I think it's a very favorable matchup for UConn.

Reaction Score
Braden Smith has actually been pretty impressive when I have watched them. Eddy is super talented and skilled offensively as much as I hate to say it. It would be a good game, and I think we would have to tell clingan to just get in the way without fouling for the first few positions to not get immediate foul trouble and to get acclimated to the game .

Reaction Score
Comparison to 1999 Duke/UConn separating from the field and meeting in the finals is interesting. Jake Voskuhl was very foul prone in certain games and was also our key answer to Elton Brand. I felt we would win if Jake could stay on the court. I feel the same way with Clingan vs Edey. If Donovan can play all his desired rotations, I think we win by double digits. 2 Fouls in the first 5 minutes and our chances are 50/50 to win a gut wrenching squeaker. Rewatching games from Hawaii would be instructive because he fouled out his opponents who hung in games without their key big men. I remember Marquette scrapped with quick hands collapsing around him. Maybe spreading the court with Alex at the 5 would result in them not being able to stop us from shooting 3's. Alex, Cam, Newton, Castle, Ball, Diarra rotation if Donovan is limited to 15 min. (I assume Samson wouldn't last 10 min against Edey in a game called that way)

Keep in mind Edey was from Canada and was likely not seen by anybody until he got to IMG. It was obvious that he was a talent when he played at Hoophall against Sanogo. I wrote about him in Jan 2020 on the Boneyard. In Edey's case it is more about the 'talking heads' taking a while to notice. He should have been ranked in the top 100 to begin with. IMO His improvement should be viewed as a top 80 player becoming dominate NPOY rather than a 450 rags to riches story. Still a big credit to him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We're better everywhere else and Clingan can at least slow down Edey. I think it's a very favorable matchup for UConn.
I’d generally think so too. I’d have no worries about Cam and Karaban on defense and feel like we can run our offense. But if that Clingan matchup is a minus that could wreck the entire game for us. This years Purdue team is essentially last year’s except now they shoot 40% from 3 instead of 32%. They don’t shoot at the volume we do but that’s a tough combo to deal with. Purdue is a good team and I feel like the universe will reward them for their upsets the past few years. I don’t see them getting bounced before the Final Four this time.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If Clingan can't stay out of foul trouble then we would struggle. If he is able to stay on the court I think we'd have the advantage.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
How about rhe coaches. Is Painter better than Hurley ? I don't think so.

Reaction Score
I think Edey would get Clingan into some serious foul trouble. But they don’t give the gimme calls as much in the tournament, so maybe he’d have a better shot.

Reaction Score
Both Purdue guards can stroke it from 3. As a team they shoot, rebound, and assist at a higher rate than we do. But it would be a shame if this debate isn't settled on the court. Purdue vs UConn is the final that college basketball fans deserves.

Reaction Score
Purdue's only 2 losses this year are to teams that shot 50%+ from 3 (and made over 10 3s each) on the road.
This happens every year to a team in tournament. If they can win that game then I think they’ll make it to the final.

Reaction Score
I’ll say this.

We dominated out of conference last year and struggled disproportionately in the Big East. A lot of us chalked that up to familiarity with Hurley and our team.

This year -and granted, this final stretch will be way tougher than any stretch we’ve seen all season- our offense is humming and nobody in or out of conference can stop us. It feels like Hurley’s system, with several key players returning and a player like Cam being injected, has hit a new level of complexity that even familiar coaches aren’t ready for.

So what does that mean for teams in the tournament this year when our offense is even better and our defense is roughly as good?

Regarding Purdue in particular, Edey shouldn’t scare us as long as Clingan is in front of him. And it’s a massive drop off in talent after him (if you can call him talented) relative to our remaining starting four.
"if you can call him talented".

I recall reading a serious empirical analysis of a sample of lots of 7 foot plus guys and their output. Edey is among the top 10 percent. Sure he's tall, but he's also very talented.

Reaction Score
I hope we find out. Because the way both teams are playing, that won’t happen until the national championship game.
We will never know. They will do the typical big 10 nose dive by the second weekend

Reaction Score
Start to have Donavan shoot more threes in the blowouts to have painter consider the thought if chasing DC out a little. Edey will certainly get some chippy fouls. And be ready to singare eat a few fouls to keep dc out if trouble. Not sure Purdue has a legit backup. But for all we know SJ may be way to quick as well.

Reaction Score
Not gonna comment on UConn to not jinx anything, but in regards to Purdue I need to see them break through to actually believe it's gonna happen. This has been happening since the 80s with them.

Not just Purdue. Every Big 10 team.

They are all first-weekend speed bumps until one of them proves otherwise.

Reaction Score
We have a tough road ahead- think we are getting way too ahead of ourselves- after the upcoming DePaul game- we have six challenging games in a row- would expect us to lose two of them- hopefully still finish with a 1 seed- that’s where our focus should be- wouldn’t be the worst thing to lose a game before the tournaments.
If you say so.

Reaction Score
Let Edey get his. Do not double when DC in the game and see if their role players can win the game.
We can employ the same game plan as JC used against Shaq and LSU in the NCAA Tournament. He got his points and we won by 15 or 20.

Reaction Score
I would think it’s mostly a toss-up, a lot dependent on DC foul situation. Having someone Clingan’s size to at least make life someone difficult for Edey and large guards that rebound well probably makes us their toughest competition. A lot probably rests on who has the hot hand shooting that given night.

Reaction Score
…sucks. Wait- we were supposed to complete the thread title, right?

In all seriousness, this matchup needs to happen. Both teams need to hold up their end of the bargain and get to the final.

Reaction Score
They have Edey and we have much better guards.

If Clingan and Johnson get into foul trouble, we might be in trouble since Edey will eat us alive inside.

I like our match up against them with our guards. I think we will make a ton of 3s against them, and prevent them in making 3s. Of course, if we don't make 3s, it could be a long day for us.

UConn is just a better team all around. We should win 8 out of 10 times against them.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I’d generally think so too. I’d have no worries about Cam and Karaban on defense and feel like we can run our offense. But if that Clingan matchup is a minus that could wreck the entire game for us. This years Purdue team is essentially last year’s except now they shoot 40% from 3 instead of 32%. They don’t shoot at the volume we do but that’s a tough combo to deal with. Purdue is a good team and I feel like the universe will reward them for their upsets the past few years. I don’t see them getting bounced before the Final Four this time.
Really?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom