Providence Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Providence Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I love watching how OldDude and EricnLa, especially, always race to see who can post the first postgame thread.... lol
Same here. Maybe you can open up a thread and poll the BYers. :);):rolleyes:

Reaction Score
why do some of you bring up who is starting next year unprovoked. we don’t even know who will be on the team available next year. first to bring it up is @Boreifs at post #17. why is this a concern for you after any game this season?
I have an early New Years wish that nobody on this site ever suggests again that Nika will not start next year.

Reaction Score
An oddity in the box score that I’m not sure I’ve ever seen: UConn had five players in double figures, all nine scored, and not a single player took more than 9 shots.
Very odd and what I love to see. We got multiple scoring options out there and that is what makes us dangerous. If one player is having a rough shooting night, we got options. Love seeing the box scores and looking at the balance attack. Nika spreading the wealth out there.

Reaction Score
our shooters really hit their shots and the one who can't shoot reminded people that she actually can hit a three...or two...to go along with her usual double digit assists and great defensive game.

I'd like to see yanna hit the mid-range which would open up the rest of her inside game. she is going to break out soon.

AG was sensational and AE putting together double doubles every game now...all without dorka.

Reaction Score
I am really weary of seeing this board split into opposing sides over starting lineups... As if our opinions matter. You can only start five. If you have more than five that deserve starter minutes, it's on Geno and Chris to manage, but players are gonna play. Other than that, for you cultist Nikalytes on this board that want to attack anyone for the slightest criticism of your chosen one, give it a rest. She doesn't need your impassioned defense. There are things at which she is great and things that others do better. Sometimes we need those things. It's all just more buttons for Geno to push.
Has there been "attacks" on this thread or just "difference of opinions?"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
why do some of you bring up who is starting next year unprovoked. we don’t even know who will be on the team available next year. first to bring it up is @Boreifs at post #17. why is this a concern for you after any game this season?
Considering how many likes the post received, it appears it needed to be stated.

Reaction Score
Agreed and she hit the first 3 when all other players were working on getting inside (with admittedly great success including her). She seems the calmest of them all.
She is such an amazing/perfect fit for this team. I recall back in the Iowa game - they specifically went to a Triangle-and-Two in order to try to limit her and Azzi, and on the 1st play Rebecca pointed it out, she just made a quick move after a pick and drilled the 3 as if to say 'No matter what Defense you throw up, you're only chance to stop me is prayer."

Her ability to score as well as Azzi and Edwards have such a calming influence. OFC there will be games you just can't hit. But these 3 also can get to the basket and finish. As a result, Caroline doesn't have to force herself to score. The lanes are so much more open for Aubrey along with she can relax a bit when shooting outside shots because the team isn't so desperate to score. And with all this Offensive firepower it fits right into what Nika wants to do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is it just me or does anyone else see Edwards' game starting to mirror Robert Parrish in the 80's? just boom, there she is, and, how did she make that look so effortless?
I get a Maurice Lucas feeling from her (sans pugilistic tendencies..lol)..
In my opinion, she is having an All-American type season thus far.

sun

Reaction Score
Amari continued to display a lot of progress against Providence and it's only early December.
She obviously still needs work but showed that she can be aggressive on both sides of the court.
If Edwards goes down before Dorka's fully ready to play, then Amari is now an option and can become an important player.
She scored points, made good passes & assists and got rebounds.
She's proved it again that she can score & contribute in ways that no one else on the team can except for her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure about that..... I could see a Nika, Paige, Azzi, Aubrey, and Edwards starting line up....
Barring injury I can't think of one reason why you are not absolutely correct. Nika, Liyah, Azzi, and Aubrey are already starting and they'll all be one more year older with a full year of additional experience. Could those 4 improve as much with another year as they have from last year until now?

Is there anyone on the roster who would start ahead of Paige is she's healthy? No, of course not. While I'd love to see an Ice v Morrow matchup against DePaul, Brady will get enough minutes.

Reaction Score
Amari continued to display a lot of progress against Providence and it's only early December.
She obviously still needs work but showed that she can be aggressive on both sides of the court.
If Edwards goes down before Dorka's fully ready to play, then Amari is now an option and can become an important player.
She's proved it again that she can score & contribute in ways that no one else on the team can other than her.
This game, with additional minutes played by Amari, may be a turning point in her development. She was a joy to watch and seemed to be really into the game. Her defense was outstanding and quick passes to cutting players was first rate.

Reaction Score
Brings a smile when after every game most posters ignore Lou Lopez's contributions. Usually the 2nd top scorer, Lou's 3's often come when the other team is mounting a comeback. One of the more clutch shooters I have seen at UConn.
I really love watching Lou. She's so efficient and she seems to truly be enjoying every moment. Even when she got elbowed, which was a bit crazy, she was really unfazed. I really hope she gets drafted. I don't know too many guards with her size that will potentially have 50 40 85 shooting splits that will enter the draft.
It was a fun game overall. I liked what I saw from everyone upon rewatching. I think Caroline had some classic Caroline moves in the first half. One she got called for an offensive foul which I thought was bogus. Another she just missed but it was a good drive. She hit a perfect mid range jump shot which I'd really like to see more of.
I was going to say I loved the minute distribution and think Aubrey, Caroline, and Lou will all play 20 plus moving forward but then I remembered they didn't have Dorka. Anyways really looking forward to tomorrow's game.

Reaction Score
She's proved it again that she can score & contribute in ways that no one else on the team can except for her.
Proved? Really? She played fairly well against an immensely overmatched team during a time when the outcome had long been decided. You and I must be watching different games.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see Amari do well, but that's not reality based on the PT she gets when games are not decided. Next she has to compete for PT with Ice and Jana. 2 minus 1 (Dorka) equals less PT.

Reaction Score
Excuse me, Bills Fan, and others including Husky Nan who jumped all over me for offering my opinion/belief about what might be next year's starting lineup. I thought this forum is for opinions. That's mine. I expected the heavy criticism, but having a belief is not necessarily being wrong.

Nika has justifiably earned the admiration and love of nearly everyone on the Boneyard, including me. Yet what one BYer earlier called the Nika cult is just that... I've rarely seen so many fans give their love for a Huskies player so unconditionally. Do you all really think there are no circumstances under which Geno might go with a backcourt of a healthy Paige and Azzi in '23-24?

Wait, I'll answer that for you: no, many of you don't. Really?

Okay, enough from me. Back to the Huskies winning over Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
Im the one who said it and I have since been corrected. I totally underestimated and undervalued her pass firstness and this team compliments her style of play more than anyone. When Paige returns there's going to be issues because I don't know how you not start her at this point and make Paige and Azzi her passing targets.
And barring any other obstacles don't you just love that Geno is the guy who needs to figure out who starts in what role and who are the 4 bodies on the floor. Dorka and Lou are not in the mix but all the rest are. So Paige, Nika, Azzi, Aubrey, Aayala, Christine, and so on. Sure glad Geno has the smarts to figure it out. I'm betting he does.

Reaction Score
In all honesty, Nika's passion, effort and overall performance HAVE been inspiring but it has reached near cult status if you can't at least consider that a player like Paige or Azzi could be a better PG. I mean HELLO. Paige led the team in steals her first year and was national POY as a Point Guard. In Geno's system it often is quite fluid but technically she played PG as I understand it. Being able to score is a factor in being a good point guard. Being able to finish at the rim, shoot outside, even penetrate the perimeter to create shots for others, even just being a threat to score is a plus. All things Paige can do in spades and Nika is just starting to learn. Nika's GREAT but she still has potential for improvement. We all love her and want her on this team but NO ONE PLAYER is essential to it's success. All this stuff about it being "Nika's Team" is to a degree hype and hyperbole. It's also Aubrey's team and Azzi's team...etc.

Is Caitlan Clark a point guard or a shooting guard? She gets a ton of points and a ton of assists. She seems to be the point of attack in iowa's offense. Just because she shoots a lot does not define her only as a shooting guard. She obviously plays both roles for Iowa. Which is often the case with a great player. It's not against the rules for a point guard to be able to score.

Look at the list of top point guards in the NBA. Almost all of them are 20 points per game scorers, led by players like Steph Curry, Trae Young, Luka Doncic...etc.:

Reaction Score
It's also not crazy to consider that a player like Aubrey or Caroline or someone else might end up being more important to team success next year than any existing player we have. It's the total package, not necessarily a defined role than fits in a predetermined slot mentally. Do we convert well on the break because of Nika's passing or because Aubrey gets out on the break? Or both? Do we shoot well because of Nika's passing or because we have a lot of great shooters? Or both? Which factors are more important? Just look at Aubrey's performance recently. Over 13 points a game on .694 shooting efficiency and she's leading the team in steals per minute played. She moves her feet and defends just as well overall as Nika if not better. Aubrey has been a game changer for this team so far this year, every bit as much as Nika.

Not hating on any one player. Let's just be open minded on how we can continue to improve.

sun

Reaction Score
Proved? Really? She played fairly well against an immensely overmatched team during a time when the outcome had long been decided. You and I must be watching different games.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see Amari do well, but that's not reality based on the PT she gets when games are not decided. Next she has to compete for PT with Ice and Jana. 2 minus 1 (Dorka) equals less PT.
I watched the UConn game with Amari DeBerry playing center, which one did you watch?

Amari scored 6 points in 13 minutes which would be like scoring 18 points if she had played the whole game.
That's called "the proof is in the pudding."
Just because you don't like the pudding doesn't mean that the pudding doesn't exist.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So as I watched the game I wanted to make some notes and specifically mention observations as I saw them. Longer than usual after-game post...

Q1 really was fun to watch. UCONN's defense was swarming. The switching and help side was outstanding, and I specifically watched a few players - Azzi and Aubrey. Azzi really is an elite defender. You don't notice it, maybe, as she doesn't get the steals that Aubrey or Nika get, but her defense is so fundamentally sound that she's outstanding in the man to man and rarely gets beat. Aubrey - tremendous offense, but outstanding defense too. But Azzi mostly guarded Crooms, and her defense really was stellar. Crooms had 0 points, 3 boards and 3 assists at halftime.

The thing I noticed was that every time PC started to get a drive to the basket, another UCONN defender would slide over to help. PC had a step thru layup - between 2 defenders - and about 5 minutes later, tried it again, but the players were smart and the gap disappeared so the PC player could not get to the basket. I bring this up specifically not only because it stood out to me, but also because it points to how high the BBIQ is for this team and how good (usually) the help side defense is.

In Q2, the defense broke down more often and PC was able to get more scoring done. Normally in our post-game comments we talk about how well each player played, but before the season started, and early on, Geno said that the offense was good and the defense not so much, so I really wanted to focus on on what I thought we did well, and what we didn't. My only real negative about H1 was the amount of O-boards UCONN gave up. Gave up 13 for the entire game so that's a surprising stat I didn't like...

2nd half was more of the same - came out gangbusters, and at one point UCONN was at 64%... from beyond the arc. Team strive for that FG% OVERALL, never mind from 3. I will say that it was great seeing Inez and Amari in the game towards the end of Q3. I thought both played well. Having said that, the offense really ground to a halt with Inez, Amari, Aubrey, Ayanna and Caroline on the floor.

Anyway enough of that.

We are so blessed to just be at the beginning of Azzi's greatness. I already talked about her defense - but her offense... I want to compare her to Clark. Caitlin is a tremendous player. Flirts with a lot of triple doubles and scored over 40 the other day. But she forces, and takes, a LOT of shots. Azzi - she forces NOTHING. She may never lead the nation in scoring but I would bet her FG% is superior of other top players because she literally always makes good decisions, and NEVER takes a bad or forced shot. Cannot believe this is just the start of her sophomore season. WOWZA. I don't know if she scored in the 2nd half, thought, and that's unfortunate.

Aubrey - holy crap! I was hoping she'd be slightly better than she was as a freshman - coming off missing an entire season, not only having surgery, but being in a wheelchair for a time - really no idea what to expect. She has been by far my biggest surprise of the season. She HUNTS for her shot - something she never would have done as a freshman.

It is so nice to see Aaliyah playing with more confidence this season and really finding her groove. I think for the rest of her career, she's going to be a double-double machine. Almost had one in the first half alone.

I also specifically watched Lou. For stretches, she wouldn't do much, but then suddenly she would take/make some nice shots, or make a nice drive. I'd like to see her a little more involved all the time. I think that's why Geno took her out in Q1 and replaced her with Caroline. And what a blessing to have her coming off the bench.

CD is still finding her groove - missed some shots, but it's great to see her confidence back looking to get to the basket instead of just being out on the floor content to play "team ball" and be a bit of a spectator.

Nika - 9 assists in H1. Practically her average. Only in 1 half. 12 for the game. More than the entire PC team had 911). And if anyone on this board ever again says "Nika needs to score more", I will metaphorically strangle them. IMHO she will probably average "only" 5 or so PPG this season, but what she brings to the floor is so much more important than being a prolific scoring PG.

I thought both Amari and Inez played well. it was GREAT seeing them get extended minutes and produce. It was also great seeing them play with some of the starters. AND they produced. Both of them. YAY!!! I'd still like to see Amari's motor ramp up, but maybe that's just an appearance and she's going 100% as she can. Bottom line, GREAT seeing them both have some substantial stats!

Lastly, Ayanna. Elite defender, but not a good offensive game. Not a good shooter, and no better at making layups than when I watched her play the 3x3 for Team USA over the summer. she has some work to do.

Bottom line tho, great game. Great prep for ND on Sunday. GO UCONN!!
I remain a fan of DeBerry and was happy to see her get more than a few minutes. Something I observed; I think she is a very smooth player. By that I mean, she gets the job done almost before you even notice. Her rebounds are quiet; her put backs are quite. In other words, she doesn't give off the look of high energy, even when she is giving high energy. As soon as her coaches grasp that, they may happily give her more time. We are going to need it. I doubt that she gets any time against ND, but she can make her mark in Big East, and go from there. Out will be tougher for her when Dorka returns, but she has to show she belongs. I think she does. Hopefully.

Reaction Score
I get a Maurice Lucas feeling from her (sans pugilistic tendencies..lol)..
In my opinion, she is having an All-American type season thus far.
We all have our opinions are entitled to them. I certainly do.

Comparing Liyah to Maurice Lucas? In this thread she also reminded a poster of Robert Parrish. Elsewhere, Lou was compared to Bill Bradley. Who's next? Michael or Magic? Geesh!

Reaction Score
Geno doesn’t have 10 players available. One starter needed to stay in
Aubrey is likely the surprise of the year. She can be ( when she turns on jets ) faster than anyone, and jumps higher ( it seems) than anyone. And her outside shot is becoming consistent. It cannot be over-stated, how much she is adding to the quality of UONN team. No one expected this.

Reaction Score
... if she had played the whole game...
Ah, but she didn't play the whole game, did she? She played 11 against an inferior team already woefully beaten. She won't play 11 again except in perhaps similar blowouts. Extrapolations are some times reasonable. Yours into 20 points is not.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some folks can't control the urge to look ahead. I don't have that challenge. To me, next year will take care of itself. Right now, I'm not looking beyond our next game with Notre Dame. It's the most important game on our schedule!!! As you said, Right now, today, we don't know who will be on the roster next year, and there's nothing we can do about it now anyway. I couldn't care less who starts next year. When next year gets here, Geno will make that decision, not us. We're only 5 games into our schedule for THIS year. Right now, my only concern is Notre Dame, winning THAT game, and leaving the arena happy at 6-0. I don't like to look ahead.

We have a wonderful team before us that's 5-0 and on a roll. Let's enjoy and get behind that!!! We can't control (nor should we try) the whims of others. If they want to dream and speculate, let them. That's what chatrooms are for. You don't have to be respond or react to it. Just move on to the next comment/post and enjoy our undefeated season thus far. :cool:

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I watched the UConn game with Amari DeBerry playing center, which one did you watch?

Amari scored 6 points in 13 minutes which would be like scoring 18 points if she had played the whole game.
That's called "the proof is in the pudding."
Just because you don't like the pudding doesn't mean that the pudding doesn't exist.
She proved she could play for Providence...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom