Providence Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Providence Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Providence game:
  • UConn is in the midst of a brutal OOC schedule. So, it was nice to have a slight respite against a mid-level conference foe. Unfortunately for the Friars, the Huskies didn’t take their foot of the gas at all in tonight’s game, and EVERYBODY ATE….:)
  • Aubrey is like an explosive wide receiver who beats the secondary long whenever she runs a deep post pattern.
  • Janai Crooms is s really good player who transferred to Providence from tOSU. Before tonight’s game Crooms had been averaging 16 ppg on 60% shooting. Tonight, she went scoreless in the 1st half on 0-3 shooting, getting hounded on defense by Azzi, with some help from Aubrey & Nika. For the night, she scored 4 pts on 2/7 shooting.
  • Some other remarkable stats to contemplate from this game:
    • Aubrey had 15 first half points, without missing a shot from the floor or FT line.
    • Nika, the nation’s leader in assists, had her fourth straight game with double-digit (12) assists.
    • Aaliyah had her 5th double-double in 6 games.
    • UConn shot 56% from the arc on 13/23 shooting, including Ines's first two 3's of the season.
    • Azzi actually missed a FT….:eek:
  • I know it was Providence that UConn was playing, but there was a lot to like about Amari's game tonight. She looked aggressive, rebounded well and showed a nice touch around the basket. Hopefully, that will earn her more PT in upcoming games.
  • Sunday provides yet another test for UConn against a top 10 team and traditional rival at their place. ND and their fans will be sky high, looking to upset the visiting Huskies. But this UConn team has already been through significant adversity, and they will find a way.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So as I watched the game I wanted to make some notes and specifically mention observations as I saw them. Longer than usual after-game post...

Q1 really was fun to watch. UCONN's defense was swarming. The switching and help side was outstanding, and I specifically watched a few players - Azzi and Aubrey. Azzi really is an elite defender. You don't notice it, maybe, as she doesn't get the steals that Aubrey or Nika get, but her defense is so fundamentally sound that she's outstanding in the man to man and rarely gets beat. Aubrey - tremendous offense, but outstanding defense too. But Azzi mostly guarded Crooms, and her defense really was stellar. Crooms had 0 points, 3 boards and 3 assists at halftime.

The thing I noticed was that every time PC started to get a drive to the basket, another UCONN defender would slide over to help. PC had a step thru layup - between 2 defenders - and about 5 minutes later, tried it again, but the players were smart and the gap disappeared so the PC player could not get to the basket. I bring this up specifically not only because it stood out to me, but also because it points to how high the BBIQ is for this team and how good (usually) the help side defense is.

In Q2, the defense broke down more often and PC was able to get more scoring done. Normally in our post-game comments we talk about how well each player played, but before the season started, and early on, Geno said that the offense was good and the defense not so much, so I really wanted to focus on on what I thought we did well, and what we didn't. My only real negative about H1 was the amount of O-boards UCONN gave up. Gave up 13 for the entire game so that's a surprising stat I didn't like...

2nd half was more of the same - came out gangbusters, and at one point UCONN was at 64%... from beyond the arc. Team strive for that FG% OVERALL, never mind from 3. I will say that it was great seeing Inez and Amari in the game towards the end of Q3. I thought both played well. Having said that, the offense really ground to a halt with Inez, Amari, Aubrey, Ayanna and Caroline on the floor.

Anyway enough of that.

We are so blessed to just be at the beginning of Azzi's greatness. I already talked about her defense - but her offense... I want to compare her to Clark. Caitlin is a tremendous player. Flirts with a lot of triple doubles and scored over 40 the other day. But she forces, and takes, a LOT of shots. Azzi - she forces NOTHING. She may never lead the nation in scoring but I would bet her FG% is superior of other top players because she literally always makes good decisions, and NEVER takes a bad or forced shot. Cannot believe this is just the start of her sophomore season. WOWZA. I don't know if she scored in the 2nd half, thought, and that's unfortunate.

Aubrey - holy crap! I was hoping she'd be slightly better than she was as a freshman - coming off missing an entire season, not only having surgery, but being in a wheelchair for a time - really no idea what to expect. She has been by far my biggest surprise of the season. She HUNTS for her shot - something she never would have done as a freshman.

It is so nice to see Aaliyah playing with more confidence this season and really finding her groove. I think for the rest of her career, she's going to be a double-double machine. Almost had one in the first half alone.

I also specifically watched Lou. For stretches, she wouldn't do much, but then suddenly she would take/make some nice shots, or make a nice drive. I'd like to see her a little more involved all the time. I think that's why Geno took her out in Q1 and replaced her with Caroline. And what a blessing to have her coming off the bench.

CD is still finding her groove - missed some shots, but it's great to see her confidence back looking to get to the basket instead of just being out on the floor content to play "team ball" and be a bit of a spectator.

Nika - 9 assists in H1. Practically her average. Only in 1 half. 12 for the game. More than the entire PC team had 911). And if anyone on this board ever again says "Nika needs to score more", I will metaphorically strangle them. IMHO she will probably average "only" 5 or so PPG this season, but what she brings to the floor is so much more important than being a prolific scoring PG.

I thought both Amari and Inez played well. it was GREAT seeing them get extended minutes and produce. It was also great seeing them play with some of the starters. AND they produced. Both of them. YAY!!! I'd still like to see Amari's motor ramp up, but maybe that's just an appearance and she's going 100% as she can. Bottom line, GREAT seeing them both have some substantial stats!

Lastly, Ayanna. Elite defender, but not a good offensive game. Not a good shooter, and no better at making layups than when I watched her play the 3x3 for Team USA over the summer. she has some work to do.

Bottom line tho, great game. Great prep for ND on Sunday. GO UCONN!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What I like best about our team...

Passing – they pass like they play infield with an MLB team, what great arms. Half-court, line drive, pinpoint accuracy, behind the back, no-look, over the shoulder – just WOW in their ability and how they’ve been coached to develop this skill. Not just Nika but the entire starting six from AE to Caroline Ducharme to Azzi, etc. Super fun to watch and WAY superior to most teams.

This year’s team adopts other historical UConn trademarks with superb defense, minimal fouls, excellent foul-shooting, enough 3-pt threats, solid team play which – in my mind – is soooo Geno/UConn.

Just a complete pleasure to watch.

Better if we had a fuller bench, living on the edge now and so many threats could disrupt us - Covid resurgence, sprained ankles – better with 2 extra players IMO.

Loved to see Ines & Amari get minutes tonight. Wanted a hundred also.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What will people complain about tonight?

I got all of my asks in the “three things you want from the Providence game” :)

DCB296B3-DD1D-4551-B442-18513DED3926.jpeg

Reaction Score
I thought both Amari and Inez played well. it was GREAT seeing them get extended minutes and produce. It was also great seeing them play with some of the starters. AND they produced. Both of them. YAY!!!

Lastly, Ayanna. Elite defender, but not a good offensive game. Not a good shooter, and no better at making layups than when I watched her play the 3x3 for Team USA over the summer. she has some work to do.

The most active I have seen Amari in a game and without trying some of the fancy passes. Good game, happy for her.

As far as Patterson, every time I watch her around the basket, it kind of reminds me of Mir McLean but more athletic. They both don't seem to have a sense of where the basket is.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Providence game:
  • UConn is in the midst of a brutal OOC schedule. So, it was nice to have a slight respite against a mid-level conference foe. Unfortunately for the Friars, the Huskies didn’t take their foot of the gas at all in tonight’s game, and EVERYBODY ATE….:)
  • Aubrey is like an explosive wide receiver who beats the secondary long whenever she runs a deep post pattern.
  • Janai Crooms is s really good player who transferred to Providence from tOSU. Before tonight’s game Crooms had been averaging 16 ppg on 60% shooting. Tonight, she went scoreless in the 1st half on 0-3 shooting, getting hounded on defense by Azzi, with some help from Aubrey & Nika. For the night, she scored 4 pts on 2/7 shooting.
  • Some other remarkable stats to contemplate from this game:
    • Aubrey had 15 first half points, without missing a shot from the floor or FT line.
    • Nika, the nation’s leader in assists, had her fourth straight game with double-digit (12) assists.
    • Aaliyah had her 5th double-double in 6 games.
    • UConn shot 56% from the arc on 13/23 shooting, including Ines's first two 3's of the season.
    • Azzi actually missed a FT….:eek:
  • I know it was Providence that UConn was playing, but there was a lot to like about Amari's game tonight. She looked aggressive, rebounded well and showed a nice touch around the basket. Hopefully, that will earn her more PT in upcoming games.
  • Sunday provides yet another test for UConn against a top 10 team and traditional rival at their place. ND and their fans will be sky high, looking to upset the visiting Huskies. But this UConn team has already been through significant adversity, and they will find a way.
I am going to enjoy watching Lou for the remainder of this season, although it was longer. Azzi and Lou are a devastating 1-2 punch.

Kudos to Providence for playing hard despite being outmatched. A noticeable improvement over last year. I hope they keep progressing.

What separates UConn from other top teams other than their talent level is their conditioning, efficiency and crispness on both ends of the court.

Obviously Sunday will be a more demanding test, but regardless of how ND plays on its home court, UConn is in end of season form. Each starter, counting Aubrey is much improved over last season. While Lou is not Paige, no one should be disappointed in her.

What I love most about this team is the camaraderie. Ines came to the team late and she looks like she's been there forever. There is a maturity to the team, a level of workmanship, but above all, this team looks to be enjoying themselves.

Reaction Score
The most active I have seen Amari in a game and without trying some of the fancy passes. Good game, happy for her.

As far as Patterson, every time I watch her around the basket, it kind of reminds me of Mir McLean but more athletic. They both don't seem to have a sense of where the basket is.
The comparison ends on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
My favorite thing about this game was seeing the starters rest. That means everything has gone according to plan. I don't know how he takes Aubrey out of the line-up she is their best finisher around the rim. Azzi played efficient and this pre-Notre Dame warm up was good for her. Next game I know she's going off. Nika with some great passes, Ines gets in the scorer's column, Amari finishing and looking like she drank some coffee was good.

Excited for Sunday

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My favorite thing about this game was seeing the starters rest. That means everything has gone according to plan. I don't know how he takes Aubrey out of the line-up she is their best finisher around the rim. Azzi played efficient and this pre-Notre Dame warm up was good for her. Next game I know she's going off. Nika with some great passes, Ines gets in the scorer's column, Amari finishing and looking like she drank some coffee was good.

Excited for Sunday
Geno doesn’t have 10 players available. One starter needed to stay in

GG

Reaction Score

She will get there in the offensive side. So much potential. Great defender.

Reaction Score
I have an early New Years wish that nobody on this site ever suggests again that Nika will not start next year.
Im the one who said it and I have since been corrected. I totally underestimated and undervalued her pass firstness and this team compliments her style of play more than anyone. When Paige returns there's going to be issues because I don't know how you not start her at this point and make Paige and Azzi her passing targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom