Providence Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Providence Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
On a positive note, got to say that Providence is another team that looked well-coached, played tough defense, and had some good players. We've seen that now with Seton Hall, Creighton, St. John's, of course DePaul, and will see with Villanova(beat Oregon St.) and Marquette ( nice win against DePaul). I just am encouraged by what we're seeing in the Big East. Admittedly, these teams have lost some head scratchers, and this UConn team has not played very well, but don't think we're seeing the chaos and futility of much of the AAC. If these coaches are able to improve their recruiting, the Big East could become an interesting conference again.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I like this idea. Change it up and put the ball in the hands of a shooter or playmaker. Don't know if Azzi has played point but she has a manner about her that might instill the missing confidence. In recent games, our point guards often played with their backs to the action, just dribbling away with no point. Late in a game, with a lead, I understand but doing this live is beyond me. Our guards need to keep their heads up, read the defense, not just play like it's practice with a set formula like high-low posts etc. Opportunity calls but we don't see it with the slow pace currently being played. After clearing defensive rebounds, Westbrook calls for the ball in the backcourt, always dribbles up-court, never looks for outlet passes. This is the opposite of Beckers and a free flowing offense. It is true that several players are over 100 MPH's and not playing at 80 of speed. This you need to see the entire court. We seem headstrong at times perhaps out of frustration and a clock running out!

I'd much rather error on scoring opportunities than run out the clock or panic as it runs out. When the camera pans to Geno he is whirling his arms to speed up play. It often goes unanswered. He has said repletely the ball gets stuck. Strange!
That signal from Geno is not to speed up the play. It is a signal to reset the play and start the motion offense aka pass to top, cut through the lane, reverse the ball if necessary. It is designed to make sure everyone is on the same page, gets a touch of the basketball , and determine how the defense is playing. The last thing you want to do in that situation is speed up the play because that exactly what the defense wants you to do and exactly what UCONN did wrong many times last night. The cutters were also open all night and UCONN missed most of them .

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
After reading all of these comments, guess I’m okay with the fact that for the first time this season, the Fox Sports app failed to work properly - kept freezing, reloading, etc. :oops:

I was one of those who had predicted a blowout win; checking in on the score now and then gave me an “uh oh” feeling.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
AE missed cutters many times. Azzi on a few Occasions. Just frustrating to watch
The ability to hit a cutter is a skill that’s learned by doing over and over in practice or games. For the better part of a month Azzi wasn’t a part of practice. As for Aaliyah, I don’t believe she’s particularly confident in her ability to hit cutting or posting teammates.

There is usually a narrow window of opportunity to hit a cutting teammate that requires great timing and touch to execute. Paige is one of the best I’ve ever seen. Players like Lou, Gabby and others were also exceptionally good at hitting cutting teammates.

I am reminded of two plays in succession in last night’s game where Nika tried to hit a cutting teammate. On the first she threw the pass directly to a Providence defender. The next time down the court she forced a pass to Aaliyah. The pass never should have been attempted. But somehow Aaliyah managed to come up with the ball and score. It was Nika’s only assist for the game.

Absent Paige, this is not a great passing team. UConn’s second best passer is Liv, who is also UConn’s best low post scoring threat. Maybe Geno can figure out a way to have Liv feed herself in the post? ;)

sun

Reaction Score
UConn again played down to the level of their competition.
But overall I thought that they all played pretty good defense.
Even though they all make mistakes, each player compensates for them by also making some good plays.

When asked during the post game a few weeks ago about who would step up to become the team leader, CW stated that she would and ever since then she basically has become the team's leader.
I give her a lot of credit for improving her game & shot selection.
Everyone has shown some improvement and last night they all contributed enough to win the game.
Their performance is like an economy of scale, they don't need to produce more points than needed to win.
Save some of those extra points for another game when they might really need them.
Sometimes you can't beat the law of averages.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
On a positive note, got to say that Providence is another team that looked well-coached, played tough defense, and had some good players. We've seen that now with Seton Hall, Creighton, St. John's, of course DePaul, and will see with Villanova(beat Oregon St.) and Marquette ( nice win against DePaul). I just am encouraged by what we're seeing in the Big East. Admittedly, these teams have lost some head scratchers, and this UConn team has not played very well, but don't think we're seeing the chaos and futility of much of the AAC. If these coaches are able to improve their recruiting, the Big East could become an interesting conference again.
Interestingly enough, the AAC is ahead of the big east in Massey ratings. I think the big east does look better this year than last, but I also think Uconn being “worse” than last year is making it look that way.

I thought the big east would be better than they have been. Seton hall has some legitimate talent with Cooks transferring in, and St John landed two ND transfers. I was hoping they’d sneak into the top 75 this year, but both have underperformed.

As you said, it all starts with recruiting more talent into the league. In an ideal world, you’d like to see 4-5 teams getting into the tournament. And we need our worst teams to not be “so bad.” Would love to see Georgetown turn that program around.

Reaction Score
when the rankings come out and UConn is "only" ranked eleventh we get complaints here about that lowly ranking and about other teams being overrated, yet after a game like this against an average basketball team, UConn is said to be almost an embarrassment and may very well lose to Creighton.........well which is it?........:rolleyes:

I don't think Connecticut deserves a Top 25 rating right now. And let's keep in mind that most of our BE wins have been against the lower tier of teams. Yes, we pulled out a last second win against DePaul, but...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't think Connecticut deserves a Top 25 rating right now. And let's keep in mind that most of our BE wins have been against the lower tier of teams. Yes, we pulled out a last second win against DePaul, but...
Oh My God Seriously GIF by The Hills

Reaction Score

As Meghan Culmo said, the prescription is "play harder." The lack of effort, the lack of aggression, the failure to fight like Hades for offensive rebounds or loose balls, is so shockingly out of character for an Auriemma team. Never seen the likes. And judging from Coach Geno's comments, neither has he.

Reaction Score
Looked at other women basketball scores tonight. #1 SCarolina (20-1) beat unranked Florida (15-6) by 62-50. #2 Stanford (16-3) at home beat #8 Arizona (15-3) by 75-69. #3 NCState (19-1) beat unranked NCarolina (16-4) by 66-58. #7 Louisville (18-2) at home beat #21 Duke (13-6) by 77-65. Of course, #10 UConn (13-4) beat unranked Providence (9-11) by 69-61. #12 LSU (18-4) at home beat unranked Kentucky (9-9) by 78-69. #14 Georgia Tech (17-4) beat unranked Clemson (7-14) by 69-62. #15 Georgia (16-4) beat 24 Old Miss (17-4) by 62-52. #15 Maryland (15-4) beat unranked Penn State (9-11) by 82-71. #19 Oregon (13-5)at home blew out unranked USC (9-9) by 80-48, and #20 Notre Dame (16-4) at home beat unranked Boston College (14-7) by 74-61.

So, like UConn, a number of other teams in top 20 only won by similar margins of victory against unranked teams (some of these unranked teams are probably better than Providence, but still).
Is parity and better coaching starting to come into WCBB. I think yes. What do you think?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure about that, but the number eleven ranking probably is based more on the future when PB returns than it is on the quality of current play.......

Reaction Score
I agree.
Azzi moves very smoothly.
I saw her shot “hunting” last night- just couldn’t get the ball at he right time/location.
In her limited playing time thus far- she seems to show very good court awareness.
I think that Azzi could play the point as a backup to Paige. They are interchangeable. She rebounds the ball and goes quickly up the court. She is moving so much better now that she is healthy. I think it will happen maybe not this year but in the future. We need shooters and scorers on the court. Azzi also is good on double teams and help defense she has played at a high level on many USA basketball teams. She knows the game just has to get comfortable in UConn schemes. This year I think Geno will use her as a scorer off the bench but next year or maybe by tournament time she starts. She is the real deal

Reaction Score
I know, I know..injuries, transport issues, no practice
i must have jinxd her, (St.) Caroline had an ordinary game...happens to Frosh.

This is not a top/typical UConn team now...
maybe top ten, maybe not.

Even though she played reasonably, I continue to worry about Evina
Not a happy camper.

All his talk of NATY's...I think we should be satisfied with less.
Talk of a National Championship is simply delusional.

Reaction Score
So last week is was pick on Edwards time this week I guess it's Muh's turn. They are not perfect they struggle it's been a tough year between covid and injuries. Still my team. How about giving them a break unless there are some of you that can do better.

Reaction Score
During my several decades as a UCONN fan, I have witnessed several games where the team did not play up to their high standards against inferior competition. But I was always confident that they would shut down the opponent's best player, assuring a victory.
This season, the opponent's highest scorer has scorched the Huskies, scoring & rebounding at will. I'm not sure if it is lack of intensity, focus, or talent, but these potential blowouts turn into unnecessary nail-biters. They must develop the killer instinct to be successful.

Reaction Score
Very simple:
Effort-check
Execution—nope
Concentration-nope
You wanna look at the line score and see mission accomplished?
I’ll have to agree with Coach- “This team doesn’t listen.”
Sorry to say I think he’s losing them.
Not looking anything like a top 4 seed tonight.
100% effort all the time - nope

Reaction Score
I’d like to mix in this blizzard bomb/cyclone thing messing with their state of mind. I’m 3 days away from a pending winter storm and I am already worried about it.
Wouldn't that mess with our opponent equally?

Reaction Score
For me the defining play was the last drive by Providence which resulted in a score with about 5 seconds left. The Providence player raced up court with the ball and all the UConn Players either waived at her as she went by, or waiving was too much of an effort and they just looked at her as she went by, and she scored an uncontested layup. Yes, that was a BS play by Providence, but if you are trained to be relentless all game long, then the UConn players should have said until you give up, we play hard. Instinct should have said play hard defense. That is killer "instinct". That also says when you are up 17 with 3 to go, you play hard and try to close out a 20 point win. We seemed to stop playing defense and coast. Can you imagine Kia Nurse coasting? Gabby? Stewie, Morgan and Moriah? If our players are going to coast, put Piath and Amari in, let them pick up some playing time and see if they play hard.

Reaction Score
If, If, If, If.......
“Were If’s and But’s candy and nuts, Oh what a party we’d have”.
Many in the game chat room comment on the lack of enjoyment, energy and motion this team displays.
Not just me.
What am I to believe- what you tell me, or my lying eyes?
I have been on teams when this lethargy hits.
The solution?
“Have a seat.”
You believe what you want to believe, frankly, you absolutely should. But I guess with your vast experience on recognizing lethargic teams Auriemna should just bench the whole team? Or maybe just tell the NCAA that Uconn is going to skip the tournament this year because of a bad game against Providence in January? Sorry, rant all you want but last nights game means absolutely nothing except they played poorly and won.
And the only if I referred to is whether they are ready in March or not, which is the only thing that matters.
As for enjoying the game, I enjoy or don’t on my own terms; not other people‘s. For the record, I am a big Muhl fan and did not enjoy how poorly she played, nor did I enjoy Ono’s play, Fudd‘s bad shooting, Ducharme’s forcing things. I did enjoy Williams and especially Edwards stepping up and Westbrooks timely shooting. I also enjoyed watching Crooms score, she certainly had a good night shooting the ball.
Lastly, hated the standing around on offense, way too much ball watching and going through the motions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So, yeah, it was a win. Strong Q2 and solid Q4. Bestwick mentioned that UCONN has a troubling tendency to play poorly at the end of quarters. I didn't notice that so much today until Q4. Not a great end to the game. They had a nice spurt at the end of Q2 to build the lead up only to give it back by being outplayed by PC in Q3. Then they played well at the start of Q4 only to give it back the last 3 minutes.

Several "not great" things about this game. It looked like, for some long stretches, that PC played better half court offense than we did. Numerous possessions leading to wide open 3's (thankfully they missed a lot), or easy wide open layups. Combine that with way too many turnovers for UCONN, missed layups, and the best player on the floor being a Friar, it was not a great game. A win is a win. Dorka was missed. But not a strong performance against a middle of the pack Big East opponent.

It was nice, however, seeing Liya get some significant PT, seeing us get their 2 forwards into foul trouble (Baskerville fouled out), and Q's 2 and the first half of 4 were particularly strong. Well, the start of Q4. PC made a run at the end. Poor decision making by UCONN to close the game out.

The best player on the floor was Crooms. No player on PC had more than 7 points. Crooms had 25. She averages 13. She shot 7-10 from the floor. We did keep their 2nd leading scorer to 4 points on 2-16 shooting so someone was playing good D!

Williams - strong game for her. POG from my point of view. Did not jack up a ton of 3's - actually shot 2-3. I wonder if she feels more confidence (and if the whole team does) having Fudd out there - such a great 3-point shooter who maybe takes some of the pressure off them and lets them play feeling less pressure? Whatever the reason, it was nice to see Williams scoring all over the place and with strong stats in points, boards, and assists.

Edwards - nice to see her get the start in Dorka's place. We've been musing all season "what did the Canadian National Team do to her over the summer"? She's not "back" yet, but I thought she played a solid games on both sides of the court. She did lead the team with 5 assists. Let's hope she keeps up with the "2 steps forward"...

Ducharme - Not a fan of her rushed 3 point shots several feet outside the arc. Can't fault her effort, but her decision making was not good today. Looked and played (IMHO) like a freshman. A very good one, mind you, but 5 TO's and 5-13 shooting is not the kind of game we need from her.

Westbrook - nice game from her. Really liking her off the bench.

Nika - decent but not great game from her.

ONO - had decent stats, but again was manhandled when she got the ball in the post.

Azzi - not as good as her first game, but she played good defense (good at keeping the opponent in front of her) and did hit a few shots.

As Geno said, all season long it's been a struggle and today was no different. One of the worst offensive performances all year (his words not mine).
A really ugly win. But the game never seemed in doubt. Anyone know the severity of Dorka's " foot injury?" I mean, if it is like
Fudd's " foot injury" she is done. Since we can no longer blow out mid-level Big East rivals, we can say goodby to playing time for DeBerry and Piath. So they will need a miracle to contribute next year. Our half-court offense looked scary bad. And no one seems to look for the one person who can shoot ( AZZI). Although, I think she was 1-5 last night from the arc. Not much to jump for joy about.

sun

Reaction Score
For me the defining play was the last drive by Providence which resulted in a score with about 5 seconds left. The Providence player raced up court with the ball and all the UConn Players either waived at her as she went by, or waiving was too much of an effort and they just looked at her as she went by, and she scored an uncontested layup. Yes, that was a BS play by Providence, but if you are trained to be relentless all game long, then the UConn players should have said until you give up, we play hard. Instinct should have said play hard defense. That is killer "instinct". That also says when you are up 17 with 3 to go, you play hard and try to close out a 20 point win. We seemed to stop playing defense and coast. Can you imagine Kia Nurse coasting? Gabby? Stewie, Morgan and Moriah? If our players are going to coast, put Piath and Amari in, let them pick up some playing time and see if they play hard.
I think that was about not committing a foul, and UConn players are smart enough to minimize wear & tear.
Look at it as injury prevention.

Reaction Score
You believe what you want to believe, frankly, you absolutely should. But I guess with your vast experience on recognizing lethargic teams Auriemna should just bench the whole team? Or maybe just tell the NCAA that Uconn is going to skip the tournament this year because of a bad game against Providence in January? Sorry, rant all you want but last nights game means absolutely nothing except they played poorly and won.
And the only if I referred to is whether they are ready in March or not, which is the only thing that matters.
As for enjoying the game, I enjoy or don’t on my own terms; not other people‘s. For the record, I am a big Muhl fan and did not enjoy how poorly she played, nor did I enjoy Ono’s play, Fudd‘s bad shooting, Ducharme’s forcing things. I did enjoy Williams and especially Edwards stepping up and Westbrooks timely shooting. I also enjoyed watching Crooms score, she certainly had a good night shooting the ball.
Lastly, hated the standing around on offense, way too much ball watching and going through the motions.
Thank you for saying this. This Board needs some Lithium for as bi-polar as it is. If folks don't like watching the game because "it's just too ugly" then don't watch it. These women don't need fans who are going to go after them when they are down and only celebrate them when they are up, which is what a lot of y'all do.

Reaction Score
Looking at our last game against Creighton, we were up 17 in the 4th, coasted to an 8 point win. Sound familiar???? I note that Creighton has no one over 6 foot 1, so our height will kill them this time. When has someone 6 foot 1 playing the post ever hurt us? (Big sarcasm on that one.) and they have a bunch of 3 point shooters. I am not confident for the next few games. We need more hustle, more desire, and if they haven't shown that yet, especially the seniors, I don't expect it to suddenly spring forth. Learning to play together takes time, Yes, hustle comes from within. Those Providence players fought for every rebound and every loose ball. Hats off to them.

Reaction Score
The ability to hit a cutter is a skill that’s learned by doing over and over in practice or games. For the better part of a month Azzi wasn’t a part of practice. As for Aaliyah, I don’t believe she’s particularly confident in her ability to hit cutting or posting teammates.

There is usually a narrow window of opportunity to hit a cutting teammate that requires great timing and touch to execute. Paige is one of the best I’ve ever seen. Players like Lou, Gabby and others were also exceptionally good at hitting cutting teammates.

I am reminded of two plays in succession in last night’s game where Nika tried to hit a cutting teammate. On the first she threw the pass directly to a Providence defender. The next time down the court she forced a pass to Aaliyah. The pass never should have been attempted. But somehow Aaliyah managed to come up with the ball and score. It was Nika’s only assist for the game.

Absent Paige, this is not a great passing team. UConn’s second best passer is Liv, who is also UConn’s best low post scoring threat. Maybe Geno can figure out a way to have Liv feed herself in the post? ;)
Practice bounce passes too

Reaction Score
Last thought, overall the team chemistry just seemed off last night. In Q1 both CW and ONO ignored obvious passes to a wide open CD in favor of a circus shot and a turnover. Getting CD the ball when wide open gives her a far better chance of converting. In return, I felt like CD then tried to create her own shot which led to some poor shot selection and bad decision making. No excuse for that one.

Nika consistently missed cutters, especially Azzi and Caroline, and Evina kept slowing down the offense. We kept allowing the defense to set up, which took away the easy passing into the post. And it seemed like we kept missing the timing on entry passes to the post.

They just didn’t look sharp on that end, and I think made things more difficult by not making the right reads/passes.

At the end of the day, you can’t deny that having Nika or Evina running the point is a serious step back from Paige. She’s just that good. No matter what, as long as she continues to be out, we are not going to be as good as we were last year. But hopefully they can find a way to play to the strengths they have.
Please see several above posts regarding Azzi handling, for some minutes, the point guard duties. She seems strong with the ball, light on her feet, great court awareness and is a shooting threat. Hope Geno tries this combo. Other coaches with have to change their defensive postures.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom