Providence Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Providence Postgame Thread

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So, yeah, it was a win. Strong Q2 and solid Q4. Bestwick mentioned that UCONN has a troubling tendency to play poorly at the end of quarters. I didn't notice that so much today until Q4. Not a great end to the game. They had a nice spurt at the end of Q2 to build the lead up only to give it back by being outplayed by PC in Q3. Then they played well at the start of Q4 only to give it back the last 3 minutes.

Several "not great" things about this game. It looked like, for some long stretches, that PC played better half court offense than we did. Numerous possessions leading to wide open 3's (thankfully they missed a lot), or easy wide open layups. Combine that with way too many turnovers for UCONN, missed layups, and the best player on the floor being a Friar, it was not a great game. A win is a win. Dorka was missed. But not a strong performance against a middle of the pack Big East opponent.

It was nice, however, seeing Liya get some significant PT, seeing us get their 2 forwards into foul trouble (Baskerville fouled out), and Q's 2 and the first half of 4 were particularly strong. Well, the start of Q4. PC made a run at the end. Poor decision making by UCONN to close the game out.

The best player on the floor was Crooms. No player on PC had more than 7 points. Crooms had 25. She averages 13. She shot 7-10 from the floor. We did keep their 2nd leading scorer to 4 points on 2-16 shooting so someone was playing good D!

Williams - strong game for her. POG from my point of view. Did not jack up a ton of 3's - actually shot 2-3. I wonder if she feels more confidence (and if the whole team does) having Fudd out there - such a great 3-point shooter who maybe takes some of the pressure off them and lets them play feeling less pressure? Whatever the reason, it was nice to see Williams scoring all over the place and with strong stats in points, boards, and assists.

Edwards - nice to see her get the start in Dorka's place. We've been musing all season "what did the Canadian National Team do to her over the summer"? She's not "back" yet, but I thought she played a solid games on both sides of the court. She did lead the team with 5 assists. Let's hope she keeps up with the "2 steps forward"...

Ducharme - Not a fan of her rushed 3 point shots several feet outside the arc. Can't fault her effort, but her decision making was not good today. Looked and played (IMHO) like a freshman. A very good one, mind you, but 5 TO's and 5-13 shooting is not the kind of game we need from her.

Westbrook - nice game from her. Really liking her off the bench.

Nika - decent but not great game from her.

ONO - had decent stats, but again was manhandled when she got the ball in the post.

Azzi - not as good as her first game, but she played good defense (good at keeping the opponent in front of her) and did hit a few shots.

As Geno said, all season long it's been a struggle and today was no different. One of the worst offensive performances all year (his words not mine).

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Providence game:
  • So the game time and arena was changed, UConn couldn’t practice yesterday due to the snowstorm, Dorka is out with an injury, the bus breaks down and the Huskies struggle to score for much of the game. Perhaps Geno should change his name to Abraham.
  • On the plus side, UConn held Providence to 23 pts in the first half on 29% shooting, while shooting 54%, themselves, building a 13-pt lead at the half. The second half was a grind, with the Huskies ultimately winning an ugly game by 8 points.
  • Christyn continues to step up on offense and make BIG plays. At the same time, Christyn and UConn had their hands full trying to contain Janai Crooms, the prodigal basketball player from R.I. who has made stops at tOSU and MSU before returning home to Providence.
  • I thought Evina and Aaliyah both gave the Huskies some very important minutes in tonight’s game, particularly with Caroline & Azzi struggling at times against Providence.
  • Every time the Huskies lose a key player, the primary challenge for the team and coaches is to maintain some semblance of continuity. This season has been and will continue to be a roller coaster. Hang on Husky fans. This can't go on forever. Can it? :confused:

Reaction Score
We have been plagued by injuries (+ COVID) and haven't had a consistent lineup for more than a couple of games in a row, but I wonder if this team has the mental toughness to get it together to make a run in the NCAAs.

Can only hope Paige comes back at full strength and things gel.

Reaction Score
We have been plagued by injuries (+ COVID) and haven't had a consistent lineup for more than a couple of games in a row, but I wonder if this team has the mental toughness to get it together to make a run in the NCAAs.

Paige ain’t gonna be the remedy for this crew.

Reaction Score

I'm throwing a wild prediction out now that I don't think this team will even make it past the elite eight. I hope they do, but from everything I've seen this season...there are deep...deeeep issues with this team.

Reaction Score
So, yeah, it was a win. Strong Q2 and solid Q4. Bestwick mentioned that UCONN has a troubling tendency to play poorly at the end of quarters. I didn't notice that so much today - they had a nice spurt at the end of Q2 to build the lead up only to give it back by being outplayed by PC in Q3.

Several "not great" things about this game. It looked like, for some long stretches, that PC played better half court offense than we did. Numerous possessions leading to wide open 3's (thankfully they missed a lot), or easy wide open layups. Combine that with way too many turnovers for UCONN, missed layups, and the best player on the floor being a Friar, it was not a great game. A win is a win. Dorka was missed. But not a strong performance against a middle of the pack Big East opponent.

It was nice, however, seeing Liya get some significant PT, seeing us get their 2 forwards into foul trouble (Baskerville fouled out), and Q's 2 and the first half of 4 were particularly strong. Well, the start of Q4. PC made a run at the end. Poor decision making by UCONN to close the game out.

The best player on the floor was Crooms. No player on PC had more than 7 points. Crooms had 25. She averages 13. She shot 7-10 from the floor. We did keep their 2nd leading scorer to 4 points on 2-16 shooting so someone was playing good D!

Williams - strong game for her. POG from my point of view. Did not jack up a ton of 3's - actually shot 2-3. I wonder if she feels more confidence (and if the whole team does) having Fudd out there - such a great 3-point shooter who maybe takes some of the pressure off them and lets them play feeling less pressure? Whatever the reason, it was nice to see Williams scoring all over the place and with strong stats in points, boards, and assists.

Edwards - nice to see her get the start in Dorka's place. We've been musing all season "what did the Canadian National Team do to her over the summer"? She's not "back" yet, but I thought she played a solid games on both sides of the court. She did lead the team with 5 assists. Let's hope she keeps up with the "2 steps forward"...

Ducharme - Not a fan of her rushed 3 point shots several feet outside the arc. Can't fault her effort, but her decision making was not good today. Looked and played (IMHO) like a freshman. A very good one, mind you, but 5 TO's and 5-13 shooting is not the kind of game we need from her.

Westbrook - nice game from her. Really liking her off the bench.

Nika - decent but not great game from her.

ONO - had decent stats, but again was manhandled when she got the ball in the post.

Azzi - not as good as her first game, but she played good defense (good at keeping the opponent in front of her) and did hit a few shots.

As Geno said, all season long it's been a struggle and today was no different. One of the worst offensive performances all year (his words not mine).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Play like this, Creighton wins by 10. Geno said it. Offense was one of the worst this year.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I know, I know..injuries, transport issues, no practice
i must have jinxd her, (St.) Caroline had an ordinary game...happens to Frosh.

This is not a top/typical UConn team now...
maybe top ten, maybe not.

Even though she played reasonably, I continue to worry about Evina
Not a happy camper.

All his talk of NATY's...I think we should be satisfied with less.

Reaction Score
Agree with your appraisal of our players but Muhl decent or fair, she had 1 point 1 assist 2 turnovers. I don’t know what Geno sees in her, other than she is tough.
She is playing very poorly on the offensive end, no question. That’s why she sat the entire 4th.

Reaction Score
I agree with the consistent lineup hurting us. I spent part of the game looking up our starting 5 of all our January games:

Jan 7th vs Crieghton: Liv, Dorka, CD, CW Evina (7 players played)
Jan 12th vs Butler: Liv, Dorka, CD, CW, Nika (9 played)
Jan 15th vs Xavier: Liv, Dorka, CD, CW, Nika (9 played)
Jan 17th vs Oregon: Liv, Dorka, CD, Nika, Evina (6 played)
Jan 21st vs Seton Hall: Liv, Dorka, CD, Nika, Evina (8 played)
Jan 23rd vs St. Johns: Liv, Dorka, CD, Nika Evina (6 played)
Jan 26th vs Depaul: Liv, Dorka, CD, CW, Nika (8 played)
Jan 30th vs Providence: Liv, AE, CD, CW, Nika (7 played)

The only 2 consistent are Liv and CD. It must be so hard to get into a flow with sick and injured players coming in and out. Should they be able to overcome this? Sure, but, looking at this, I can also see how challenging that can be.

Reaction Score
That was awful. I’m sorry. Just awful. They play like that against our next opponent, who’s playing REALLY well, and we lose.

AE looked good tonight.

CW looked good tonight.

CD, kinda weird game. Lots of turnovers.

LIV, not her best. Too many fouls.

EW, okay. Thought she was fouled at end of game. Mugged actually right in front of the ref and nothing.

Nika, not sure if she played. If she did, no comment as it wasn’t anything memorable.

I’m worried that Creighton will clean their clocks. Hope I’m wrong.

Biggest issue, lack of effort. A lot. Outhustled all game.

Reaction Score
Looking forward to the return of Dorka!
I thought that it was necessary for Aaliyah to
start and get some playing time under her belt.
Maybe everyone is looking forward to Tennessee ( too much )
Did you notice that Ms Morrow set a Big East record
for Rebounds this evening against Seton Hall = 27 with 22 points!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
One thing that is different this year to me. If the other team has one player scoring 75% of their points in the 1st half, that player usually got shut down somewhat in the 2nd half. Not tonight (and maybe not all season????).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom