Providence Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Providence Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I’ve read exactly none of this thread so far, but this team is an absolute joke. The idea that UConn will be anything other than a five hundred team in the Big East and a bubble team for the tournament is about as wishful as thinking gets. Hurley has shown zero ability to develop his teams into anything significantly different than what they are in December. He recruits well, at least for now, but he has no idea how to put the right combination of players on the floor, and his in-game coaching is borderline embarrassing. The amount of sheer talent on this team should translate into domination of the conference, but losing to unranked Providence at home before a sellout crowd is not something that they have much of a chance to recover from. I was looking forward to this team being competitive in a strong conference this year, but let’s face it: they play like . There have been a ton of UConn teams that haven’t shot very well but have been successful because they rebounded and played lockdown defense. This team has the ability to do all of that and a lot more, but they don’t want to. And that is on the coaching staff. End of rant.

Reaction Score
Exactly my point. What has Diggins done or not done to be absolutely nailed to the bench when Gaffney exhibits no bb IQ, can’t defend and can’t shoot. Furthermore he dribbles for 15 seconds before he gets them into the offense. It’s maddening.
Yep, Diggins would make mistakes if he played because he's a freshman and would get blown by on D sometimes but I simply don't believe he would be worse than 25% from the floor, 0% from three, 14 assists, 13 turnovers in non-cupcake games. This is what Gaff has given us and he also gets blown by on defense a lot.
Before this game I didn't feel we were in crisis mode, but now after losing by 4 in a pick 'em game where we didn't play our best against against a tough team that's 11-1, apparently we are. smh We all hoped for a win, probably by the same margin we lost, but it wasn't a lock by any stretch. We've had impressive performances this year, and we've lost only 3 games by a grand total of 11 points. We're better than we were last year and there's still two-thirds of the season left. This team needs to look at film, practice up a bit, and get ready for Marquette on Tuesday. PS. We will see Providence again at the Dunkin' Donuts Center on January 15th.
A pick 'em game? UConn was favored by 7.5.

Reaction Score
You forgot the Hawkins pass to Whaley 15 feet from the basket when we needed a quick score down 4 with 25 seconds left. Hawkins take the ball to the hoop or at least do a 3 point shot. We need quick points. Ugh.
I agree and I believe the Hawk has the skill but lacks the self confidence.
Agreed. Wondering if Coach is too hard on this kid or hasn’t figured out yet how to get him to play looser. Why so hesitant to go to the hole? Maybe just a lack of confidence in his handle which is pretty awful.

Reaction Score
I had a feeling we were gonna lose after seeing all the trash talking about Nova losing last night

Orc

Reaction Score
I'm officially worried about Diggins and to a lesser extent Samson. They didn't come to UConn to sit their entire freshman season.

I think diggins will bolt. Gaffney is the lead Pg next year.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Just an ugly game all around. Might need to have a conversation with the season ticket holders behind me who sold their tickets to literally the most obnoxious PC fans. Luckily I did not bring my kids to the game with me. Also hoping those PC fans safely got back to their dumpster (not all PC fans just the ones behind me).

Reaction Score
I think his argument is Polley and Gaffney aren’t helping us. Bringing in Diggins and Sampson would allow them to develop so that they’re ready as the season progresses. I’m not sure what set you off about that. It’s pretty standard fan forum discussion…. and not entirely without merit in this case
They were awful today. But Gaffney hasn’t been awful all year, nor has Polley, and we haven’t seen anything from Johnson or Diggins while they are in that should convince anyone that they will help us win more than Polley and Diggins right now.

And if it isn’t clear to you, Hurley, like many coaches, want players who can defend first and foremost.

Reaction Score
I’ve read exactly none of this thread so far, but this team is an absolute joke. The idea that UConn will be anything other than a five hundred team in the Big East and a bubble team for the tournament is about as wishful as thinking gets. Hurley has shown zero ability to develop his teams into anything significantly different than what they are in December. He recruits well, at least for now, but he has no idea how to put the right combination of players on the floor, and his in-game coaching is borderline embarrassing. The amount of sheer talent on this team should translate into domination of the conference, but losing to unranked Providence at home before a sellout crowd is not something that they have much of a chance to recover from. I was looking forward to this team being competitive in a strong conference this year, but let’s face it: they play like . There have been a ton of UConn teams that haven’t shot very well but have been successful because they rebounded and played lockdown defense. This team has the ability to do all of that and a lot more, but they don’t want to. And that is on the coaching staff. End of rant.
LMAO. So we’re just going to ignore 2019–2020 because it doesn’t support your theory?

Reaction Score
They were awful today. But Gaffney hasn’t been awful all year, nor has Polley, and we haven’t seen anything from Johnson or Diggins while they are in that should convince anyone that they will help us win more than Polley and Diggins right now.

And if it isn’t clear to you, Hurley, like many coaches, want players who can defend first and foremost.
Gaffney has been awful all year. He's been putrid in non-cupcake games, as bad as any player I can remember who has gotten big minutes.

Reaction Score
I think diggins will bolt. Gaffney is the lead Pg next year.
This will never, never happen. Gaffney just doesn't have it as a point guard - don't you think Hurley sees that? Diggins will start getting playing time shortly, and by February will be Cole's primary fill in for 8-12 minutes per game. Diggins' injury preseason really put him deep down the bench.

Look for Diggins and Floyd to play most of the PG minutes next year.

Reaction Score
Gaffney has been awful all year. He's been putrid in non-cupcake games, as bad as any player I can remember who has gotten big minutes.

Gaffney was fine last Saturday in Newark. Not great, but far from putrid.

Reaction Score
I'm unhappy with the production of a couple guys in the rotation too and I'm curious what Johnson and Diggins can do with more time as well. But its the first conference game. Neither has looked particularly good in the minutes they have gotten. I'm not at practice. It's a question worth asking but its not something to flip out about at this point nor is it a smart assumption that neither of them won't be big players for us by the end of the year.

Reaction Score

Actually, he only wants them to play defense his way. Not sure why he’s still making bigs hedge, with zero rim protection. Or why he never deviates from “his” defense, even though only one 1 guy can almost do it right.

Reaction Score
Providence did everything in their power to give UConn the win: poor ft shooting second half, stupid intentional foul by IU transfer Dunham, poor late game clock management.
UConn is a good team probably #20-30....not a great team. Something is really missing in team chemistry.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
I'm unhappy with the production of a couple guys in the rotation too and I'm curious what Johnson and Diggins can do with more time as well. But its the first conference game. Neither has looked particularly good in the minutes they have gotten. I'm not at practice. It's a question worth asking but its not something to flip out about at this point nor is it a smart assumption that neither of them won't be big players for us by the end of the year.
Bench was outscored 20-4. Polley, Gaffney, Hawkins not getting it done. Not going to win many games with that kind of bench production.
Martin gave it his all but terrible decision to shoot a three down 2 points with a minute to go. Take it to the basket!!

Reaction Score
Actually, he only wants them to play defense his way. Not sure why he’s still making bigs hedge, with zero rim protection. Or why he never deviates from “his” defense, even though only one 1 guy can almost do it right.
We gave up under 60 points and blocked six shots. We didn’t lose this game because Hurley is forcing a defense his players can;t play on him

Why does this board, once it turns on someone, have to turn him into a Three Stooges caricature?

Reaction Score
Beating decent teams isn’t a Hurley strength. Needs an offensive coach desperately. We have a balding floor cheerleader unable to maintain a big picture.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
This is the thing few people talk about. Hurley has always said playing time is earned and good performance in practice equates to minutes in games. I have to believe that those who aren't seeing minutes haven't proven they're ready for or deserving of them. I'm also curious to see what these players sitting on the bench can do in game situations but I have to trust Hurley wants to achieve success and knows what he's doing. And you're right, there's a lot of season left and who knows who might break into the rotation.

Reaction Score
Why do you keep repeating this nonsense? Do you think saying it over and over again is going to suddenly make it right? Because you looked dumb the first time and you just keep going

Reaction Score
Polley killed us by not making a shot, but his defense cost us about 8 points in the first half…..that can’t happen.
I hate to pile on gaffney but he is not a good example of player development for this program. Still doesn’t have confidence in his handle or his ability to finish. Every shot seems like it’s only because he has exhausted every other option and is forced to shoot it.
UConn twitter had this coming all week the way we were acting like an elite program and they were trash. Karma is a bitch sometimes.

Reaction Score
While UConn missed 4 late FTs in a row late in the game & it would have been nice to make them, how many FTs did Providence miss that kept them from blowing us out? A typical NCAA team would have missed fewer and our deficit should have been larger. Another break not take advantage of by us.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Yep, Diggins would make mistakes if he played because he's a freshman and would get blown by on D sometimes but I simply don't believe he would be worse than 25% from the floor, 0% from three, 14 assists, 13 turnovers in non-cupcake games. This is what Gaff has given us and he also gets blown by on defense a lot.

A pick 'em game? UConn was favored by 7.5.
I stand corrected. It actually dropped to 6.5 by game time but in my mind it was a toss up, and I feel that spread was too high. I would have said UConn by -4 tops.

Reaction Score
We gave up under 60 points and blocked six shots. We didn’t lose this game because Hurley is forcing a defense his players can;t play on him

Why does this board, once it turns on someone, have to turn him into a Three Stooges caricature?
That defense isn’t good enough to win games. That hedge move alone gave up more than the difference. Teams are figuring it out.

Reaction Score
Why do you keep repeating this nonsense? Do you think saying it over and over again is going to suddenly make it right? Because you looked dumb the first time and you just keep going
I’m hoping someone with influence reads it. It lost the game today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom