Providence Is A Good Team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Providence Is A Good Team

Reaction Score
It wasn’t a bad loss in and of itself, it was how we lost that was frustrating. Primarily because it exposed some deep flaws that aren’t easily addressed

Reaction Score
Yes Cooley plays the thug card, he's a real clever guy. He's great for basketball.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Providence played with as much intensity at both ends of the court as any team I’ve seen all year. They defend. They rebound. They attack the basket. They too it to us and it paid off fir them. Their ability to get to the line and make their free throws was the story of the game. They were 29 of 35 from the line.

Oh, yeah. Hurley was once again cursing out everyone in sight. He was lucky he didn’t get T’d. What an embarrassment. It’s hard to imagine that he can keep his head in the game.
Yeah, no.
1672974919540.png

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
@Billy Jack and @FriarJ

You guys are Providence fans. Lets get you on the record for just how good you think Providence is. What is going to be their Big East record, and how deep will they go in the Tournament?

Reaction Score
They are good but we definitely beat ourselves by getting them in the bonus early in the first and second half. If uconn isn't hitting 3s they are just another average team.
Maybe UConn should learn how to play defense better, perhaps try some new defensive sets for certain situations?

Reaction Score
Coach Cooley is my favorite coach in all of NCAA basketball. He teaches through tough love. He is a super coach and a super human being. He gets the most out of his players because they share a mutual respect and a mutual love for one another. Easy guy to cheer for. Our talent level is better because we can recruit with the UConn name and Hurley is an elite recruiter, but their work ethic crushes ours. Hopefully, that will change.
Momma Castle seems to think Hurley and Cooley are two peas in a pod.

To imply that somehow Hurley's / Hurley's teams work ethic are substandard is just silly heresay.

Reaction Score
Sticking to the thread title, this is what I love about being back in the Big East.

There are SO MANY good teams in this conference. So much so where I loss becomes not just a frustrating emotion for fans, but a learning experience as well.

How many losses during our AAC years where you were like I'm not happy they lost, but there's something the team can apply to next game and win.

For me, a HATED losing in the AAC so much more than the Big East. Like, it made me hate college basketball, where now, a loss, I'm not happy, but I'm amped for the next game to see if the team adjusts.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You have vastly underrated providence I told you that before.

I asked them a simple question which they refuse to answer. Ironically, you also refuse to take a position on the same question.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Providence fans could hold clinics on big celebrations after early January wins. I can't tell if Providence or Pitt fans are better at that. It is really close between them.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I have 2 prediction threads, and will probably start a third one a week from now. My game never gets old.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I asked them a simple question which they refuse to answer. Ironically, you also refuse to take a position on the same question.
I put my position here two weeks ago and bet 50 bucks on it. Providence finishes top 4 in conf. Look it up.

Reaction Score
Momma Castle seems to think Hurley and Cooley are two peas in a pod.

To imply that somehow Hurley's / Hurley's teams work ethic are substandard is just silly heresay.

Thanks @JustbrewitMan. That’s a fair comment. I was referencing the fact that it appeared that PC outhustled us all night and won a majority of the 50/50 balls. I love this UConn team and believe that we’ll have an outstanding year. This was a frustrating game and my comment may reflect that.

Reaction Score
Prov played uninspired basketball for the first stretch of their OOC. Lost (and looked bad) to the 3 quality opponents they faced. To someones point earlier, it wasn't that they lost but how they lost. From their URI game on they, for the most part, have played very solid and improved every game. The Uconn game was probably their most complete game all season.

Uconn rode a 14 game wave and now has hit some adversity. Most teams do at some point in the season. Huskies are supremely talented. Prov seems to have hardened their identify on how they will play since their uninspired start. Anyone can be charming when the grass is green. How does this prticular Uconn team (and Hurley) come out after these 2 losses and 2 more tough games?

Reaction Score
Just like a former UConn coach who’s in the Hall of Fame and wears 3 rings.

Let’s not get crazy lol. He’s a good coach but you can’t compare those 2. Be happy we do that with Hurley.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Until a promised 3rd prediction materializes, here's the Post-OOC Prediction thread to answer your query. I lauded the OP, some follow-ups, and the additional thoughtful posts that issued forth as solid work.

Here, I've provided the link to express admiration for your comments offered in this thread. In addition to responding to the direct challenges that have come your way, your integrity in openly representing as a PC fan shines brighter when contrasted with offers who feel the need to play it differently. It'd be ungenerous for me to take note and remain silent.

Of course it helps that Providence won, but being a good winner is part of the package.

PS - If you're not going to read the full thread, at least take a peak at post #20.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
It wasn’t a bad loss in and of itself, it was how we lost that was frustrating. Primarily because it exposed some deep flaws that aren’t easily addressed
Are the "deep" flaws really that difficult to address? I think most of us have come to the conclusion that the Huskies need to get to the rim more, get the guards taking the ball into the paint, either to go to the basket or to dish off. Doing this will also create more opportunities at the free throw line. Also, we have to be able to defend without fouling as much, without depending on how games will be officiated. If guys move well without the ball and pass well, we should be able to get good shots at the perimeter, and shots will fall.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
If we had shot 40% from the field and 30% from 3, this game comes down to the wire. But we shot 36% from 2 and 24% from 3. Not winning many games with those numbers.
...also we only made 10 of 19 from the free throw line.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom