Pros and Cons of a two quarterback system | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pros and Cons of a two quarterback system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not calling anyone... Anything, really. I thought your link was a good one. I just know we are and angst-filled bunch (with good reason) and some (not all) are quick to call this the first mistake of a young head coach... Without actually knowing if it's a mistake yet.

I hope it's not.

If it is... Well, not the last time I'll ever be wrong! :)

Edit: reread my post and it I can see it coming across as harsh. Not my intent.

I get it. Email and posting can be tricky reads at times!

I am freaking out because I can't wait until the BYU game. This is the closest feeling to being a kid counting down the days til Christmas! Only thing missing is the Advent calendar!

Reaction Score
My feeling is if you have 2 quarterbacks you actually have 0 quarterbacks. But I'll trust Diaco until I actually see the team play some games.

Anything is better than the Nebrich "arrangement." Run up middle - no gain, run up middle - no gain, attempt pass while running for life - no gain. Coach says, "you're a failure, kid, grab some pine."

Reaction Score
I may be thinking too much into this, but I think Diaco is sending out a little misinformation, kinda like how some coaches in the NFL wait til the absolute last second to release injure reports and even those are, in some cases, used to throw off the next weeks opponent. By Diaco announcing the both Cochran and Whitmer will see snaps next week, he's forcing BYU's defense to prepare for two different skill sets. But then again what do I know typing from my couch? lol

Reaction Score
I'm really surprised by the negative reaction to Monday's announcement, Diaco said a month ago that we are using two QB's so it is not a surprise.

The pro's are it builds depth at the position so the team isn't lost if someone goes down and it also keeps BYU guessing a little. It also keeps pressure on the starter to stay sharp. The best coaches in the business are most critical with their best players. Bill Parcells tortured Phil Simms until he became an ALL PRO performer. Having all of the QB's out on display also may take some of the pressure off of Casey. Diaco doesn't want success/failure to be pinned on one player, everyone on the team (even the bench) has to pull their own weight an continue to improve themselves week to week. The QB transfer was out on display Monday to send a message to the whole team that they are all very important to this season's success.

I thought Diaco was extremely impressive on Monday. This guy is in fact a micro manager like Bill Belichik and Jim Harbaugh....... and we should rejoice not complain.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let's not discount the fact that as a new head coach, Diaco may simply be channeling his mentor Brian Kelly who used 2 QB's at both Cincy and ND. Think back on those teams and how Kelly used multiple QB's.

"When Brian Kelly says he wants to play one quarterback, we're supposed to believe him. But should we?
Kelly's the coach that played musical chairs with his quarterbacks at Cincinnati. And looking back at the past four seasons, it hasn't been much different at Notre Dame.
I’d rather clearly have somebody be the guy," Kelly said, according to Eric Hansen of the South Bend Tribune. "We’re not at that point where there’s a clear separation between the two yet. I think that could happen, but it hasn’t happened yet.
"I think Everett has more games under his belt, but you still have to respond when the lights go on.
Just as important, Kelly has done this before. Pulling strings and swapping quarterbacks is a skill. For a head coach like Kelly or Steve Spurrier, it's business as usual. For a lesser established coach, it might be a problem.
So while the opportunity to turn the keys to the offense over to Everett Golson has to be tempting after four seasons of instability at quarterback, you can't help but wonder if Kelly embraces the chaos. "Everett has to continue to grow and that’s a good thing, but I kind of like the fact that we have another guy that’s really pushing him."

My bet for BYU is we won't see a lot of Whitmer. Not even close to 51-49. That's never going to happen. But Chandler might come in after Casey loses a helmet or tweaks an ankle--maybe for one or two series, but IMO that's it. Then of course we can watch the media horde quiz Diaco on why Chandler didn't get to play more and why he deceived them about the shared playing time.

Reaction Score
Kelly has done it for two reasons: either injuries (Cincy) or displeasure with the performance of one or both (UND). We shouldn't be there yet.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Excalibur said:
Kelly has done it for two reasons: either injuries (Cincy) or displeasure with the performance of one or both (UND). We shouldn't be there yet.

Don't forget the "I can confuse that old fool deleone with a different qb" reason. Kay looked like Big Ben that day.

Reaction Score
The only plus I see is if the non-key starter, which has the possibility of changing on a weekly basis based on performance, goes down with injury, and least the key backup is not someone resurrected from mothballs, there is a degree of experience coming into the huddle.

However, I believe the "con" opinion in the article has more substance than the "pro" opinion.

Under PP's first year, with three QB's all "possessing different skills" for unique situations, the program was a disaster. None of the special skills either of the three QB's possessed were very good. Didn't fool defensive coordinators either.......McCummings wasn't going to pass because he couldn't, McEntee wasn't going to run because he couldn't, and the 3rd QB (box?) added to the unstable offense by creating his share of false starts.

We may have two QB's that just don't possess all the necessary skills to be a key starter at the FBS level. There will still be false starts, illegal motions, and a slew of other penalties that comes with different rythyms and characteristics of individuals initiating plays, and checking off because each may view defensive strategies differently,........and exactly how is all this going to help an inexperienced offensive line gel.

I wish the best for the team and coaches. But BD had a couple of revealing insights to the program at the Middlesex Chamber breakfast. Responding to changing the "attitude of losing" he wasn't sure how long all that they have worked on the previous nine months will be maintained once pressure from other teams are applied, and he wasn't sure how long it would take to turn the program around and elevate its expectations. He added, "we have to recruit better".

Reaction Score
I wish the best for the team and coaches. But BD had a couple of revealing insights to the program at the Middles e x Chamber breakfast. Responding to changing the "attitude of losing" he wasn't sure how long all that they have worked on the previous nine months will be maintained once pressure from other teams are applied, and he wasn't sure how long it would take to turn the program around and elevate its expectations. He added, "we have to recruit better".
These are 2 matter that concern me quite a lot. I have this sense that Pasqualoni's recruiting was less than I had hoped it would be. This could take a couple of seasons before we are a pretty good football team.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I wish the best for the team and coaches. But BD had a couple of revealing insights to the program at the Middles e x Chamber breakfast. Responding to changing the "attitude of losing" he wasn't sure how long all that they have worked on the previous nine months will be maintained once pressure from other teams are applied, and he wasn't sure how long it would take to turn the program around and elevate its expectations. He added, "we have to recruit better".

Geez, I was hoping he would have waited until after the 1st game at least before he started walking back on some of the comments that were getting me pumped up.

Last edited:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I get it, it's the boneyard and we have to freak out about everything, but how about we see how this plays out for just ONE game?

In my opinion the biggest challenge with having another QB get some reps is when players aren't clear on their role, or it's not clear who the leader is. The leader is Casey. Chandler is the backup. Everyone knows their roles, Diaco has made it clear, so to me that's not an issue.

If you want to make the argument that from a game flow perspective it can be a problem - duly noted, I even agree, but I'm willing to give the coaches that know way more than me the benefit of the doubt for now - they may see situational advantages that I (we) do not.

Otherwise, relying on sayings like "if you have 2 QBs you have none!"... just isn't actual hard evidence. The games will give us the evidence, one way, or the other.
I up.

Reaction Score
It's not a two QB system per se. There is a starter and a back up but the back up will get some snaps.

The closer to 51-49 split is practice not games. Basically, Diaco will play whoever has the hot hand. While this is a little unusual it it not unheard of. Whitmer and Casey have very similar skill sets. I highly doubt that CW is the running QB or triple option or two fullback ball QB. I think its just Diaco's way of seeing what both QBs have when the bullets are flying.

I prefer this to leaving a guy in the game who is not moving the team.
Hard to say that ever happened... more like whatever else is going on you'll (Whitmer) take 1,2,3 series, and you'll (Boyle) take 4, and you (Foxx) will take another one somewhere.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Most likely it was desperation with a little let's see what this kid can do mixed in.

There has been way to much focus on the QB position this season. Completion was around 55% the INT were down from precious seasons, but the yds per attempt were terrible. Is that on the QB or the play calling? Is the QB checking down to the flat too soon or are we being too conservative? If we are being conservative, is it because the QB can't deliver those balls downfield, or because we aren't calling those plays downfield?

Who knows?

C

Chief00

Whatever way you want to spin it - you can't escape the reality it was a disaster - as bad as it got under Coach P & D - this year has become more hopeless - still putting out new bottoms - when one thinks it can't get worse.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Whatever way you want to spin it - you can't escape the reality it was a disaster - as bad as it got under Coach P & D - this year has become more hopeless - still putting out new bottoms - when one thinks it can't get worse.
Splitting hairs, I would say it's the same bottom, just leveled out.

C

Chief00

Splitting hairs, I would say it's the same bottom, just leveled out.

Maybe - but for sure no improvement - TJ was the only coach who demonstrated that of the 3 - and he was cast away

Reaction Score
On balance the BY thought it would be "small time" to hire TJ. Let's remember that as we all sing his praises.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
On balance the BY thought it would be "small time" to hire TJ. Let's remember that as we all sing his praises.

It absolutely would have been small time. It also wouldn't have been a good hire.

Reaction Score
UConn owed it to itself to conduct a extensive head coaching search. TJ did a good job in his brief time. But simply extending him would have been selling the university short. If he was the guy, he needed to make that clear to Warde. I have no problem that Warde did his due diligence.

Diaco seemed like a good hire and he may still turn out to be an excellent hire. But honesty insists that this season be called what it has become, terrible. And Diaco deserves every bit of criticism that comes his way.

The two QB system is not all that unusual in college. Many coaches get a second QB game experience during the course of a a game. The way Diaco has applied it, yanking hot QBs for the cold hand is unusual and it is ill advised. Let's hope this has yielded some learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom