Pros and Cons of a two quarterback system | The Boneyard

Pros and Cons of a two quarterback system

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I get it, it's the boneyard and we have to freak out about everything, but how about we see how this plays out for just ONE game?

In my opinion the biggest challenge with having another QB get some reps is when players aren't clear on their role, or it's not clear who the leader is. The leader is Casey. Chandler is the backup. Everyone knows their roles, Diaco has made it clear, so to me that's not an issue.

If you want to make the argument that from a game flow perspective it can be a problem - duly noted, I even agree, but I'm willing to give the coaches that know way more than me the benefit of the doubt for now - they may see situational advantages that I (we) do not.

Otherwise, relying on sayings like "if you have 2 QBs you have none!"... just isn't actual hard evidence. The games will give us the evidence, one way, or the other.

Reaction Score
I think the whole thing is just bizarre. The presser was awkward.

We have a starter and key backup, but no key starter at QB.

Both will play, and it will be closer to 51-49 than 85-15.

Casey is the starter. We do not have a 2 headed monster.

I really hope this is all a smokescreen for the BYU game.

Reaction Score
I get it, it's the boneyard and we have to freak out about everything, but how about we see how this plays out for just ONE game?

In my opinion the biggest challenge with having another QB get some reps is when players aren't clear on their role, or it's not clear who the leader is. The leader is Casey. Chandler is the backup. Everyone knows their roles, Diaco has made it clear, so to me that's not an issue.

If you want to make the argument that from a game flow perspective it can be a problem - duly noted, I even agree, but I'm willing to give the coaches that know way more than me the benefit of the doubt for now - they may see situational advantages that I (we) do not.

Otherwise, relying on sayings like "if you have 2 QBs you have none!"... just isn't actual hard evidence. The games will give us the evidence, one way, or the other.

Eh, I hear ya Mike. But it's a message board. There's a difference between freaking out and stating an opinon. The way the presser was handled leads to more questions than answers.

I do agree with you about waiting to see how this plays out in games.

Reaction Score
Eh, I hear ya Mike. But it's a message board. There's a difference between freaking out and stating an opinon. The way the presser was handled leads to more questions than answers.

I do agree with you about waiting to see how this plays out in games.

True, we could wait and see what pans out and I am truly hoping that Casey plays like an All American and establishes himself as the undisputed starter. However from what we heard yesterday, there is a good chance that there will be a mix. As a dedicated fan base we should be prepared for either scenario.

Reaction Score

Eh freaking out? Pot calling the kettle black?

Reaction Score

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The beauty of message boards. If Cochran goes out and throws for 18-20 250 yards and 3 TDs and Whitmer comes in and puts up 10-14 150 yards and 2 TDs and we win next Friday night, everyone will say that they loved the idea and knew that it would work when nobody else did.

Reaction Score
It's not a two QB system per se. There is a starter and a back up but the back up will get some snaps.

The closer to 51-49 split is practice not games. Basically, Diaco will play whoever has the hot hand. While this is a little unusual it it not unheard of. Whitmer and Casey have very similar skill sets. I highly doubt that CW is the running QB or triple option or two fullback ball QB. I think its just Diaco's way of seeing what both QBs have when the bullets are flying.

I prefer this to leaving a guy in the game who is not moving the team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The beauty of message boards. If Cochran goes out and throws for 18-20 250 yards and 3 TDs and Whitmer comes in and puts up 10-14 150 yards and 2 TDs and we win next Friday night, everyone will say that they loved the idea and knew that it would work when nobody else did.

No. I will tell everyone how surprised I am . . .

For duck's sake, it shouldn't be off limits to question his decision. Those doing so may be wrong. I'll certainly be willing to admit it if I am, but I'm going on record and saying that if we split time at QB at a ratio anywhere close to 51/49, it's a terrible idea.

Reaction Score
I am still damaged from the last 2 QB system we had.

There are conflicting reports on what the 51/49 means in terms of practice or game snaps.

Matt....can you get some clarity on this?

Reaction Score
Diaco delema. My heart goes out to coach and the staff. Here is the best way to describe what he's going through. Both girls have tangibles and intangibles that are pretty close. You just have to work things out over time to determine the real winner. In this case, for now #2 won out for excelling in the Cadillac bumper rust test!
twins.jpg

Reaction Score
I also agree that the presser was awkward. I think that they probably would have liked for 1 player to have risen to the top. Unfortunately, they got two that were fairly close but with different pluses and minuses and the third who they want to red-shirt to create class year separation. I think that if what Diaco said is accurate, that we can win with both - that they will look to establish Casey as the starter and will not rotate Chandler in if Casey is doing well and can handle all of the offense they want to run. If he struggles, I think he will give Chandler a chance to see what he can do. I also think that in the case that Casey's play is solid and the team is evenly matched with an opponent, I don't see him making a change during a game and risking upsetting that. I don't really believe we will see a fairly close split in minutes. One thing we don't know is how well each QB can execute the playbook. If Chandler can run a certain group of plays much more effectively, and certain defenses are vulnerable to these plays, maybe he gets some possessions during the game or they decide to change it up at half-time to take advantage of this. Another thing that could greatly affect this is the running game. I think we all saw the disaster that occurred because we could not run the ball effectively. It lead to large numbers of risky throws by Chandler. Casey did much better with that but he also had to work with a sub-par running game. If the running game is competent, meaning that we consistently achieve positive yardage leading to first downs and short yardage third downs which we then convert to first downs, it will change the dynamic for passing the ball from desperate chances to available opportunities. In that scenario, where we are not forced to throw the ball but can use the whole playbook, who will be the better option to run those plays? We don't know that right now but that might make the differences between them less prominent. I hope that's the case and we don't need to talk about who the better option is because our offense works well with both under center and who starts isn't a huge deal because both can contribute positively to wins.

Reaction Score
My feeling is if you have 2 quarterbacks you actually have 0 quarterbacks. But I'll trust Diaco until I actually see the team play some games.

Reaction Score
Look, we can't be worse than we were last year. Go out, bang some heads and hang 60 on em.
If we dont, then we will sell 20K season tix again next year and we wont have to worry about who our starter is.
Lets be cautiously optimistic here. We have a ranked BYU team playing against a team that has proven nothing...yet. Hell, throw 10QB's at them. I dont care, just make it a game and find somethng that works

Reaction Score
Dooley said:
Mumble mumble...I forgot what I was talking about. :D

Before the press conference, HCBD had coffee and a sandwich with JC. Next, he'll throw in a few F bombs and say some CB couldn't guard a chair. The best part is BYU's all sorts of confused now.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think the message folks were getting out of the presser was "If you have a non key starter and a backup, you have no key starters." What I got out of it was "We don't have QB good enough to be a key starter. So Casey's the non-key starter, and Chandler will be the key (i.e., only) backup barring injury". What should be obvious is that the coaches want either one of them to raise their level and prove themselves in game play to be a "key starter".

Reaction Score
The "pros" involve having a quarterback with a different set of skills that can enhance your offense in limited situations. That's not the case here.
that's the issue. These guys are the same quarterback. On eof the best lines I ever heard on this was that if you go with 2 quarterbacks it means you don't have one that you have confidence in. And that is a pretty big concern if that's the case. My hope is that Cochran goes out against BYU and throws for 450 yards and 4 touchdown in an upset victory and we never hear this 2 quarterback silliness again.

Reaction Score
that's the issue. These guys are the same quarterback. On eof the best lines I ever heard on this was that if you go with 2 quarterbacks it means you don't have one that you have confidence in. And that is a pretty big concern if that's the case. My hope is that Cochran goes out against BYU and throws for 450 yards and 4 touchdown in an upset victory and we never hear this 2 quarterback silliness again.

Scooter, I don't agree that this is silliness. UCONN is in a great situation. If CC get's hurt, you have a near seamless transition to CW with no drop off in capabilities. Diaco has successfully taking the I out of team. Now the heart of the lion in CC will take over and the Alpha male will surface which is what Diaco is hoping for.
I am impressed that CC took the bull by the horns and whipped himself into shape, losing 30 lbs. He said he feels like a new person, brimming with confidence. He looks confident and feels great about himself which will pass over onto the rest of the team and particularly the O line. I have a feeling that CC is going to shine against BYU and create some separation from the pack!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Eh freaking out? Pot calling the kettle black?
Not calling anyone... Anything, really. I thought your link was a good one. I just know we are and angst-filled bunch (with good reason) and some (not all) are quick to call this the first mistake of a young head coach... Without actually knowing if it's a mistake yet.

I hope it's not.

If it is... Well, not the last time I'll ever be wrong! :)

Edit: reread my post and it I can see it coming across as harsh. Not my intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom