Projecting the Roster for Rio. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Projecting the Roster for Rio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is an incredible group of athletes, but I think the selections for this National Team are definitely going to surprise a lot of people. My predictions:

The Absolute Sure shots- Tamika, Maya, Delle Donne, Parker, Diana, Brittney, Tina, Sue Bird. I have NO DOUBT about this great eight.

The Maybe-Maybe Nots:

Vandersloot
- she'll be competing with Sims, Diggins and Whalen. I give her the edge as better facilitator, 5 assists pg,
and okay 2.5 t/o per game in WNBA. Inexperienced Internat'l,but steady, would gladly play Geno's kind of game.
Whalen- She played great in the FIBA World Games but she's been injured, lacks fitness now, and hasn't produced
at her accustomed high level lately in WNBA. She's looking like an old 33, age may be catching up. She does have
time before Rio to show she deserves a roster spot. If healthy, she's tough and will be hard to keep off the roster.
Sims- Her omission from this 4 game exhibition schedule can't be good for her. Reliable scorer but her outside shooting % won't
frighten anybody. Too inexperienced to run point, and not the consistent outside threat this team needs.
Augustus- Still recovering from right knee arthroscopy. Missed time and conditioning is an issue right now, though that could
change in time to make Rio team. When healthy, great scorer, can fill it up. Up against tough competition.
Stewie- Stewie is going to be fighting for her life to be included on this super team which is especially loaded at the forward spot.
Still needs to get stronger and more experienced at this highest level, but she's young and the selection committee must
be looking ahead to 2020 and make concessions on this roster to youth. It won't hurt that Geno loves her. Or that she is a special talent.
It's hard to be objective when it comes to Stewie, but I'll be rooting for her, and I think in the end she makes it. (3-1 she does)
Diggins- If she's healthy she has a shot, but she's in a tough numbers game. Her high profile media celebrity likely will help her, as publicity
and media hype are always a consideration in our ratings ($$) driven world. I think she has a good shot.

NO WAY- Sylvia Fowles- It would be a nice luxury, but this team cannot afford to have a back-up center. At least not Fowles. She scores and rebounds within a very
limited range, and succeeds mostly because at 6'6" she is very tall. Internationally, she won't have that height advantage and from what
I've seen of her in 5-6 WNBA games, she is not physical, doesn't fight on the boards, doesn't run the floor well, and gets pushed
around by shorter, stronger players (like Erlana Larkins.) She will not make this team- too many great players will be fighting for
the one or two precious roster spots available. If she makes it, Stewie cannot.
McCoughtry- I have always liked Angel, and I think Geno does, too, but she showed nothing in last year's FIBA Worlds. Played too out of control,
lots of bad shots taken. When it comes down to the final cut, Angel cannot possibly make it.

Oh man, I forgot Dupree...I put her in the 50/50 range, but I'm leaning against her making the team.

Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With Delle Donne, Candace Parker and Brittany Griner, Maya Moore, Dee and Sue, you can put anybody else out there with them and they still win by far!

USA will be favored, of course, but I think the Aussies will be very competitive.

If Jackson and Cambage are healthy (and throw in Tolo), Australia will be very
strong up front. Add Penny Taylor and a number of WNBA veteran guards and
you've got a very good team that could win gold if USA isn't playing at their best.

I just hope they don't put the USA and Australia on the same side of the brackets
again. They should meet in the finals, not the semis.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
NO WAY- Sylvia Fowles- It would be a nice luxury, but this team cannot afford to have a back-up center. Fowles scores and rebounds within a very
limited range, and succeeds mostly because at 6'6" she is very tall. Internationally, she won't have that height advantage and from what
I've seen of her in 5-6 WNBA games, she is not physical, doesn't fight on the boards, doesn't run the floor well, and gets pushed
around by shorter, stronger players (like Erlana Larkins.) She will not make this team- too many great players will be fighting for
the one or two precious roster spots available.

I think Fowles is better than you give her credit for. She is physical enough to twice win DPOY in the WNBA. She's also twice led the league in rebounding percentage, so she definitely fights on the boards. On a per-minute basis, she was a better rebounder this year than either Charles or Griner. Her rebounding and defense are very valuable.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If USA wants new blood, then Catchings, Bird, and DT shouldn't be on the team. None will be playing in 2020, so if it's Catch's time to go, is their time to go too.
Catch is 15 months older than Sue and will by 37 at the Olympics, Bird will be 35.75, DT will be 34 as will Whalen, Augustus 32 and Angel and Fowles will be 30.75 - I doubt any of them will be there in 2020, but DT and the younger ones could well be there in 2018 which is the next major competition (assuming they win the Olympics.)
And the difference between Catch and the older guards is that they already found Catches 'replacement' in Moore, and the forward spot is stocked with other experienced players as well - definitely not the case yet for Guard. I think if she is healthy Catch is on the team, but it is a very different decision process between the two positions.

USA basketball cares more about the Olympics than the WCs - so given a choice they wonld weaken the 2018 team by retaining older players and not bringing in youth for the Olympic and let 2018 take care of itself.

HuskiesRule - No way USA goes into the Olympics without three centers if those three are healthy - Fowles continues to be a force in the WNBA and overseas - the transition to MN has not been without some issues, but most of those are more to do with the health of Augustus and Whalen. As the Pan-Am games showed - there are some big strong centers in international play and Fowles has the size, strength and experience against them. They were carrying around two additional centers during the lead up to the WC because they were unsure of Griner's health.

On injuries - I think Diggins is probably going to have a hard time being fully recovered for NT trials - it will be about 9 months after surgery, tough to be at the top of her game in that time frame. I was thinking Sims might not be on this trip because of her summertime injury and wanting a bit of recovery time, but who knows - she was playing at the end of the season. Whalen and Augustus are obviously not completely recovered but they are both already playing in the finals, so 8 months is plenty of time for them to be back in top form. And Whalen could very well be the veteran PG in 2018 because I really doubt Sue will be.

Reaction Score
If USA wants new blood, then Catchings, Bird, and DT shouldn't be on the team. None will be playing in 2020, so if it's Catch's time to go, is their time to go too.
Agree with your logic, but not with evaluation of DT. Who, in the whole world, is going to match up with DT and not get their ass kicked? Why does her Russian team still pay her $1,000,000 per year?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think Fowles is better than you give her credit for. She is physical enough to twice win DPOY in the WNBA. She's also twice led the league in rebounding percentage, so she definitely fights on the boards. On a per-minute basis, she was a better rebounder this year than either Charles or Griner. Her rebounding and defense are very valuable.

I think Syl makes the team. If something were to happen to Griner the US would be hurting in the paint without Syl. She is better than she was given credit for in the previous post.

I think Stewart may have a difficult time making the team just because the competition is so great at the forward position. I cannot imagine Catchings being left off this team as much as Geno likes hard-nosed defenders. I can tell you that if the score is close at the end of a game I want Catch on the floor, along with DT and Maya. Those three will not allow the US to lose.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This is an incredible group of athletes, but I think the selections for this National Team are definitely going to surprise a lot of people. My predictions:

The Absolute Sure shots- Tamika, Maya, Delle Donne, Parker, Diana, Brittney, Tina, Sue Bird. I have NO DOUBT about this great eight.

The Maybe-Maybe Nots:

Vandersloot
- she'll be competing with Sims, Diggins and Whalen. I give her the edge as better facilitator, 5 assists pg,
and okay 2.5 t/o per game in WNBA. Inexperienced Internat'l,but steady, would gladly play Geno's kind of game.

Sims- Her omission from this 4 game exhibition schedule can't be good for her. Reliable scorer but her outside shooting % won't
frighten anybody. Too inexperienced to run point, and not the consistent outside threat this team needs.

NO WAY- Sylvia Fowles- It would be a nice luxury, but this team cannot afford to have a back-up center. At least not Fowles. She scores and rebounds within a very
around by shorter, stronger players (like Erlana Larkins.) She will not make this team- too many great players will be fighting for the one or two precious roster spots available.

We don't really know the reason that Sims is not on this tour, but considering that there are only 10 players I don't think it is because she wasn't wanted. I think she is probably still trying to fully recover from her injury during the WNBA season. Having said that, Sims is too turnover prone to make the Olympic team. She is a great scorer and can get to the rim, but this team does not really need that. The need is greater for a more conventional PG that can lead the team, not lead the team in scoring.

I see no chance that Fowles is left off the team if she is healthy. She played very well against Griner in game one of the Mercury-Lynx series. Griner had a better game two but Fowles absolutely won round 1 and I haven't seen a center do that to BG in a couple of years.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Is the team selected before the WNBA season starts? If so, how many of the players that are chosen will choose to sit out the first part of the WNBA season as not to risk an injury right before the Olympics, or just to rest their bodies?

Would USA Basketball possibly choose not to have Griner on the team to avoid any possible controversy should another team choose to ask her to take a gender test? This issue kind of seems like the elephant in the room that nobody has discussed but I think may be in the back of some minds.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Ogwumike, Nneka. See her results from this past summer.

Holy moly. How did I forget about her? Wow, the forward position is just packed with talent. I would say that Charles and EDD are locks at that position and Nneka is a very strong contender, also. Dupree has that smooth, non-assuming personality that seems to fit well with this team. She does not demand too much attention but is ready to perform when called upon. And she has a better outside shot than Nneka. Dupree is money from 15 feet in.

And I think that Bonner is worthy of some consideration. At 6-4 she could actually play the 2 or 3 and her defense on the perimeter could be very valuable.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Holy moly. How did I forget about her? Wow, the forward position is just packed with talent. I would say that Charles and EDD are locks at that position and Nneka is a very strong contender, also. Dupree has that smooth, non-assuming personality that seems to fit well with this team. She does not demand too much attention but is ready to perform when called upon.

And I think that Bonner is worthy of some consideration. At 6-4 she could actually play the 2 or 3 and her defense on the perimeter could be very valuable.
that's what i get for being away enjoying New England the past several days. I agree on Bonner too. Offense plus stellar defense (remind me again who else on this planet can defend Maya Moore)...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A few points ...

I had thought that Catch was getting old and slipping. I think her numbers were down this season, but she's been clutch in the postseason. I think she is in the mix, but not a lock. As with a few others, let's see how she looks when it's time to decide. She is deserving, but only if her level of play is still high.

In my view, the locks include: Diana, Maya, Candace, Britney, and Elena. Tina may be a lock too. Sue, if healthy, will make it. She's younger than Catch.

The Lindsay of the last month may not make it. If she's 100%, she has a good chance. I think Seimone is more likely, but not a lock. She's not 100% yet. Let's see.

Nneka is certainly in the mix. So are Sylvia, Stewie, and Candice Dupree. Odyssey and Skylar will be considered if healthy.

Moriah and Stef will get serious consideration for 2020.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think that a spot on the team is Catchings' to lose and that someone else will have to be clearly playing better to beat her out, just like with several of the other players that bring so much experience. I agree that the US will just reload for the WCs in 2018 and use that competition to prepare the youngsters for the 2020 Olympics, so some of these young players may have to wait just a little longer. I hope that DT is still playing in 2020. Even at 75% DT would be better than 100% for most players.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It cracks me up that people think Catch wont make a roster but that Bird would be a lock as a starter. Is anyone following the WNBA this postseason? Outside of the first 2 games of the finals, Catchings has dominated the post season and has led a team of unheralded players into the finals with a very good shot to beat Minnesota who has 5 Olympians. She's the ultimate team player/leader, is a 3x Olympian and one of the most respected players in the world. Bird had a fine season, but as a starting point guard her team struggled to a 10-24 finish. If Bird is a lock for this team, no way Catch isn't.

Here is my prediction for who makes the roster for Rio:
PGs
Sue Bird-Despite what I said, she's a lock and most likely starts
Lindsay Whalen-Another player who should be a lock, I personally think she's the best point guard USA has right now

SGs
Diana Taurasi-no brainer, starter
Seimone Augustus-I don't think she's a lock, but has a great shot at making the roster

SFs
Maya Moore-starter, no brainer
Tamika Catchings-lock
Elena Delle Donne-may start, another lock

PFs
Candace Parker-starter, lock
Breanna Stewart-she's a lock. Based on Geno's track record, there's no way he is leaving her off the roster

Cs
Brittney Griner-If she finally decides to play, she'll play and start. Lock.
Sylvia Fowles-Another lock, now that she's comfortable in Minnesota she's proving herself to be one of the best centers in the world
Tina Charles-Another lock

Barring injuries, the only position that I think is really up for grabs is Augustus's. Sims could contend, McCoughtry may nab the spot. I don't see it going to Diggins. As good as Dupree and Ogwumike are, they don't have the skills to be perimeter small forwards and they will not be chosen over Stewart and Parker.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I hit the LIKE button many times for the consistent thoughtful and high quality of posts in this exceptional thread. Posters scared me from projecting the Rio team. :eek:

BUT. . .;)

. . . I remind my fellow 'Yarders of the high rate of attrition that KO's many players due to injuries. If the established injury rate holds, many of the close calls will be made for us by trainers or team doctors. :(

Reaction Score
Bird - lock
Taursi - lock
Maya - lock
Candace - lock
Griner - lock

Elena - lock
Tamika - lock
Angel
Breanna - lock
Tina - lock

Whalen or Diggns (I give the edge to Diggins)
Fowles or Oguwmike (I give the edge to Oguwmike)

January should be in the mix IMO. She has been one of the best defensive players in the league for the last few years and plays big in big games.
I would pick Sims over Whalen or Diggins but it seems like her and Vandersloot will be forever outsiders to making the Olympic team. Dupree is a great player but I just don't see her being a pick over any of the above. Augustus needs to get healthy for consideration and I think she would be wise to take some time off from at least the early part of the overseas season. She would take Angel's spot if she can get her body back into behaving for her.

My dream scenario: Seeing Taurasi run the point with EDD and Maya on the wings and a dominating Parker/Griner duo in the frontcourt. Make it happen Geno! I don't care about position labels...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It cracks me up that people think Catch wont make a roster but that Bird would be a lock as a starter. Is anyone following the WNBA this postseason? Outside of the first 2 games of the finals, Catchings has dominated the post season and has led a team of unheralded players into the finals with a very good shot to beat Minnesota who has 5 Olympians. She's the ultimate team player/leader, is a 3x Olympian and one of the most respected players in the world. Bird had a fine season, but as a starting point guard her team struggled to a 10-24 finish. If Bird is a lock for this team, no way Catch isn't.

PGs
Lindsay Whalen-Another player who should be a lock, I personally think she's the best point guard USA has right now

SGs
Seimone Augustus-I don't think she's a lock, but has a great shot at making the roster

SFs
Tamika Catchings-lock

PFs
Breanna Stewart-she's a lock. Based on Geno's track record, there's no way he is leaving her off the roster

Cs
Sylvia Fowles-Another lock, now that she's comfortable in Minnesota she's proving herself to be one of the best centers in the world

Barring injuries, the only position that I think is really up for grabs is Augustus's. Sims could contend, McCoughtry may nab the spot. I don't see it going to Diggins. As good as Dupree and Ogwumike are, they don't have the skills to be perimeter small forwards and they will not be chosen over Stewart and Parker.
Good analysis - but I think you are wrong on Breanna - she made the WC team simply because of injuries. If EDD, Fowles, Catchings, and Parker had been available, then Dupree, Stewart, and Ogwumike don't make that team and one of Sims, Angel, and Augustus don't make it.

Breanna will make the team probably in 2018, but this Olympic team, if everyone is available is a few years too early. With possible injuries, who knows, but I wouldn't even put Breanna as 'first alternate' at the forward position.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The more I think about this European trip, the more I see it as a 2018 exercise. With half the likely team for Rio not available, it is a chance to work some of the USA future into the USA basketball culture - I am still a little surprised at the small size of the squad - they could easily have added a couple more young players.

Reaction Score
Umm..you have Sue Bird on there but not Tamika Catchings?

If Catch wants a spot, she has it.
Tamika Catchings,Sue Bird and Taurasi should win their 4th Gold Medal together!3 of the top 5 players ever with Cheryl Miller and Holdsclaw!

Reaction Score
All 3 should be on the team!Taurasi still Best Player in the World!Taurasi has talked about wanting to play in 2020.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
One player people are overlooking is Candice Dupree.

In these international contests, it is not merely bringing the top 12 players together; it is about bringing the 12 best players for Team USA. Dupree is a five-time WNBA All Star. But she is also a star player who can play second, third, and fourth fiddle to other stars, as needed. In Phoenix (2014), she was often the third or fourth fiddle (Taurasi, Griner, Penny/Bonner); this year, she was the first, second, or third fiddle as needed.

Yes, she has been a go-to player before. But she excels at finding ways to be incredibly productive - and being in a star in her own right - by being highly efficient, playing extremely well in a team concept, and without requiring the ball in her hands as much as other players. This type of player is both a star player and a glue player, a few of which are always necessary when putting together Team USA for the top international competitions.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Cam - I do love Dupree's game and demeanor and she has two NT Gold medals to prove her worth. I just wonder if everyone is healthy whether they can find her a place - she has made the WC teams sort of as an 'alternate' to an injured team USA regular.

EDIT: She also has a strong advocate on the coaching staff - Dawn, her college coach.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
One player people are overlooking is Candice Dupree.
NOT guilty your honor! Dupree was in my original post as making the team. I started this thread. It is the lesser learned (than you) that wish to dismiss your (our) brilliant logic.

Reaction Score

PGs

SGs

SFs
Tamika Catchings-lock

PFs

Cs

Probably because these 2 players play different positions on the court. And Team USA has a forward position loaded with young, talented players.

Yes, I think everyone on the board knows that Catch is having a great post season seeing as her team eliminated the NY Huskies ;).. I mean Liberty, totally stopping a chance of UCONN east v UCONN west in the finals. Sure her teammates are "unheralded" but they surely aren't scrubs. Wasn't Coleman an all-star this year? And January the previous?

As is Sue.. leader, 3x Olympian and one of the most respected players in the world.

From a statistical standpoint Sue did have a fine season, second in the W in assists while averaging 10 points, just two points under her career average. However you failed to mention that her team had 9 new players from the season before, while half consisted of players with 2 years of experience or less contributing to that 10-24 season.

But I do think Catch should be on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom