Brittney Griner*
Tina Charles
* Indicates projected starters

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm not saying its likely....actually hardly possible
But depending on her senior campaign and initial foray into the W
It's not impossible for MoJet to overtake Courtney for the last guard spot.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm not saying its likely....actually hardly possible
But depending on her senior campaign and initial foray into the W
It's not impossible for MoJet to overtake Courtney for the last guard spot.
I would like to see it but this is not likely since Courtney is in Europe already working out with the national team. Courtney spot is also not guranteed, Courtney would have to beat out Whalen and MoJeff would have to by pass Sims, Courtney , Whalen & Diggins (who should be healthy by then) to make 2016 team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Depending on who is healthy, I think Breanna is not a lock for the team nor is Dupree, and your list is light on guards - Whalen is more likely than Vandersloot, and Sims might be as well. And Catchings?
Based on availability I think the following are locks:
Guards:
Sue Bird
DT
Whalen

Forwards:
Maya
EDD
CP3
Catchings
Centers:
Tina
BG
Fowles

That is ten - so two additional places.

Those listed above in Blue are getting on in years and may not make the 2018 team. That is an obvious issue for the guard spots and I would suspect that USA would like to 'blood' some replacements - Sims and Vandersloot are both likely candidates and there are others like Robinson, Diggins, and a long shot of Jefferson (would like her chances better if they had brought her along this time as they could certainly use another couple of bodies.)
Not listed above but alternative candidates from previous NT teams that I think are likely in order of chance:
Augustus
Angel
Dupree

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Umm..you have Sue Bird on there but not Tamika Catchings?

If Catch wants a spot, she has it.
I agree that if Catch wants a spot she will get one. Catch might even start. She would be the oldest player on the team. I just don't think Catch will want a spot and as UC said USA basketball might think it is time for new blood in the form of EDD, Courtney, Stewie and Griner replacing Fowles, Catch, Walen, Cash & Jones. If Catch opts in then she would take Candice Dupree spot IMO.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not sure Vandersloot has even a slim shot at making the team. Same for Dupree. There are at least 5 guards I'd take ahead of CVS including Whalen, Jefferson, Robinson, Sims and Diggins. CVS's stats are so average for a starting PG in the league - I'd have to compare it to every other starting PG on the other teams - that I have no idea why anyone gives her any props for Team USA.

I think it's a no brainer to replace CVS with Whalen. Then comes the problem of Catchings. I hate to say it, but I think she brings more at this point in her career than Stewie does. Honestly, I would say that the last 2 spots (I agree with UCM's 10 "locks") likely would go to 2 of Angel, Stewie, Sims, Diggins and Siemone. I think UC Miami pretty much nailed it - and as good as EDD was in that last game, I think starters of Sue, Dee, Maya, Candace and Tina. That isn't to say others wouldn't get significant PT but...

I'm not sure how healthy Siemone is, but again at this point in their careers, I'd take her over Stewie. But that's as of today. Stewie has her senior year to play and a whole year to get better and stronger. As of right now, the last 2 I'd add would be Siemone, and then one of Angel, Skyler and Odyssey.

Side note on Catch starting - she "lost" her starting spot to Maya years ago on team USA. They are similar players, but Maya is flat out better. Still, no matter how you slice it, it's an amazing team. the "2nd" 5 might be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the world... (Whalen, Siemone, Catchings, Fowles, Griner)...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
With Delle Donne, Candace Parker and Brittany Griner, Maya Moore, Dee and Sue, you can put anybody else out there with them and they still win by far!
This team would be vulnerable on the perimeter IMO. That is the reason I would pick Courtney over Walen. Courtney is better perimeter defender and is better at pushing the ball in transition.

Reaction Score
This team would be vulnerable on the perimeter IMO. That is the reason I would pick Courtney over Walen. Courtney is better perimeter defender and is better at pushing the ball in transition.

They don't even need to defend with this team. They can outscore anybody with these bigs + Diana and Sue.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I'm not sure Vandersloot has even a slim shot at making the team. Same for Dupree. There are at least 5 guards I'd take ahead of CVS including Whalen, Jefferson, Robinson, Sims and Diggins. CVS's stats are so average for a starting PG in the league - I'd have to compare it to every other starting PG on the other teams - that I have no idea why anyone gives her any props for Team USA.

Permit me to be a Sky homer for a second.

Your assessment of Vandersloot would have been accurate before this season. Vandersloot improved in almost every way this season. Check her numbers: http://www.basketball-reference.com/wnba/players/v/vandeco01w.html

Her stats were not average this year. I think she was the best PG in the league in 2015 and would invite you to find me a PG that had a better 2015. Vandersloot was better than Sims and better than Whalen. She was way better than Robinson, who sunk down into the muck of the Stars terrible season. I think she's better than Bird at the present time but there's the obvious issue of Bird's experience, leadership, and history with USA basketball that means she's a lock if healthy.

She absolutely deserves an opportunity to compete for a spot. I don't actually think she'll make the team. Bird will go, and Diggins and Whalen are better when healthy. But she's a good option if some of the others have injury issues, as Whalen, Sims, and Diggins all did this year. She's also a pass-first player which might be a better fit than a combo-guard like Diggins or Sims for an all-star team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree that if Catch wants a spot she will get one. Catch might even start. She would be the oldest player on the team. I just don't think Catch will want a spot and as UC said USA basketball might think it is time for new blood in the form of EDD, Courtney, Stewie and Griner replacing Fowles, Catch, Walen, Cash & Jones. If Catch opts in then she would take Candice Dupree spot IMO.
I believe Catch is already on record as saying she wants Rio if she is healthy, and based on this years WNBA playoffs she is still playing at a very high level.

I think stats are not a good indication on PG play - Sue is putting up pretty 'average' stats at this point in time, but her leadership is superb and is what you want her for. I think Vandersloot is getting to the same point at this stage of her career which is why USA is interested in her. She had a bigger transition to the pros than Sue did, but she is playing very well now. No idea if she makes the NT team, but don't discount her just because of 'the stats'.

Whalen has already proved herself as a very good fit for the NT over the last 6 years. I don't see her being dropped for Rio.

I don't think anyone has distanced themselves as the 'next guards' the way Sue and DT did in 2004/6. Whalen is sort of a transition guard, coming in later and perhaps overlapping with the new guards that will take over, whoever they are. I could see her being the only guard from 2012 to be on the WC team in 2018. Sims beat out Diggins last time around, but perhaps Diggins has improved more in the last 12 months than Sims?
In any event, the selection of guards I think is the biggest question mark. Forwards are pretty well set, with Dupree and Stewart as the obvious alternates. Center ... with Charles and Grinner still being relatively young, the position is in good hands even if Fowles has only a few more years with the team. Not sure anyone has become front runner for Fowles spot when she does leave - again, no one screams for inclusion or has distanced themselves from the pack, and I am not sure there are any in college right now that project as being a sure bet as that next big on the NT. Wilson - still a little young to project.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm not sure Vandersloot has even a slim shot at making the team. Same for Dupree. There are at least 5 guards I'd take ahead of CVS including Whalen, Jefferson, Robinson, Sims and Diggins.
I think it's a no brainer to replace CVS with Whalen.
Then comes the problem of Catchings. I hate to say it, but I think she brings more at this point in her career than Stewie does. Honestly, I would say that the last 2 spots (I agree with UCM's 10 "locks") likely would go to 2 of Angel, Stewie, Sims, Diggins and Siemone. I think UC Miami pretty much nailed it - and as good as EDD was in that last game, I think starters of Sue, Dee, Maya, Candace and Tina. That isn't to say others wouldn't get significant PT but...

I'm not sure how healthy Siemone is, but again at this point in their careers, I'd take her over Stewie. But that's as of today. Stewie has her senior year to play and a whole year to get better and stronger. As of right now, the last 2 I'd add would be Siemone, and then one of Angel, Skyler and Odyssey.

Side note on Catch starting - she "lost" her starting spot to Maya years ago on team USA. They are similar players, but Maya is flat out better. Still, no matter how you slice it, it's an amazing team. the "2nd" 5 might be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the world... (Whalen, Siemone, Catchings, Fowles, Griner)...

Vandersloot is with the team in Europe now which puts her ahead of Sims and Jefferson as measured by time with the National team.
Courtney was a tough call over Whalen but with Courney I get better perimeter defense and she can push the ball. They are comporable PGs in the half court set and shooting numbers are close.
On Moriah-Olympics start August 5th, Moriah Graduates May/June ish ? Even if she had 1 month fulltime practice with the olympic team, I don't see her making the Rio roster.

Dupree was one of the more productive players on 2014 world Championship team and would have two WNBA teamates (DT & Griner) on this squad.
http://www.usab.com/history/national-team-womens/games-of-the-xxixth-olympiad-2012.aspx

On Catch. If she want's a spot it is hers. But it is not true that she lost her spot to Maya years ago. In 2012 Olympics catch started all 8 games. Maya started only 5 of 8. There is also a 10 year age difference between the two players so I would expect Maya to be the better player today but Peak to Peak it's close.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Guards: Bird, Whalen, Diggins, Taurasi, Augustus
Forwards: Moore, McCoughtry, Parker, Delle Donne
Center: Griner, Fowles, Charles

That's my guess at present assuming Diggins returns from her injury at close to 100% and that Augustus regains her form. That would leave Sims probably as the next guard up and Stewart or Catchings as the next forward up.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Umm..you have Sue Bird on there but not Tamika Catchings?

If Catch wants a spot, she has it.

And believe me, Catch wants a spot. She is still playing some tremendous basketball and there is no player that deserves a spot any more. This is another player that brings all the experience and intangibles that a team needs.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

That's my guess at present assuming Diggins returns from her injury at close to 100% and that Augustus regains her form. That would leave Sims probably as the next guard up and Stewart or Catchings as the next forward up.

I could see Diggins on the team before she blew out her ACL but I am not so sure now. My guards would be Sue, Sloot, DT and Sims. I don't really see Augustus as a guard in the same line as the other guards listed and Whalen has not played at a very high level this season.

I would really like to see Brunson on the team in place of Angel.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I believe Catch is already on record as saying she wants Rio if she is healthy, and based on this years WNBA playoffs she is still playing at a very high level.

I think stats are not a good indication on PG play - Sue is putting up pretty 'average' stats at this point in time, but her leadership is superb and is what you want her for. I think Vandersloot is getting to the same point at this stage of her career which is why USA is interested in her. She had a bigger transition to the pros than Sue did, but she is playing very well now. No idea if she makes the NT team, but don't discount her just because of 'the stats'.

Whalen has already proved herself as a very good fit for the NT over the last 6 years. I don't see her being dropped for Rio.

I don't think anyone has distanced themselves as the 'next guards' the way Sue and DT did in 2004/6. Whalen is sort of a transition guard, coming in later and perhaps overlapping with the new guards that will take over, whoever they are. I could see her being the only guard from 2012 to be on the WC team in 2018. Sims beat out Diggins last time around, but perhaps Diggins has improved more in the last 12 months than Sims?
In any event, the selection of guards I think is the biggest question mark. Forwards are pretty well set, with Dupree and Stewart as the obvious alternates. Center ... with Charles and Grinner still being relatively young, the position is in good hands even if Fowles has only a few more years with the team. Not sure anyone has become front runner for Fowles spot when she does leave - again, no one screams for inclusion or has distanced themselves from the pack, and I am not sure there are any in college right now that project as being a sure bet as that next big on the NT. Wilson - still a little young to project.

Diggins has not had a chance to improve since she tore her ACL. She has a long road back to be considered for the Rio roster.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Depending on who is healthy, I think Breanna is not a lock for the team nor is Dupree, and your list is light on guards - Whalen is more likely than Vandersloot, and Sims might be as well. And Catchings?
Based on availability I think the following are locks:
Guards:
Sue Bird
DT
Whalen

Forwards:
Maya
EDD
CP3
Catchings
Centers:
Tina
BG
Fowles

That is ten - so two additional places.

Those listed above in Blue are getting on in years and may not make the 2018 team. That is an obvious issue for the guard spots and I would suspect that USA would like to 'blood' some replacements - Sims and Vandersloot are both likely candidates and there are others like Robinson, Diggins, and a long shot of Jefferson (would like her chances better if they had brought her along this time as they could certainly use another couple of bodies.)
Not listed above but alternative candidates from previous NT teams that I think are likely in order of chance:
Augustus
Angel
Dupree

We really need a young guard as Bird and Whalen are likely no longer around in 2020. Somebody needs to get experience while DT and Bird are still available. I would pick Vandersloot at this point. She played some great ball this past season.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Courtney Vandersloot
Seimone Augustus
Sue Bird*
Maya Moore*
Angel McCoughtry
Candice Dupree
Elena Delle Donne
Candace Parker*
Breanna Stewart
Diana Taurasi*
Brittney Griner*
Tina Charles

That is some serious talent.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
They don't even need to defend with this team. They can outscore anybody with these bigs + Diana and Sue.
You don't have to look back very far to see why this (outscore & not defend) is a bad idea. 9/21/14 in an exhibition game against France USA lost. MM & DT a combined 4 of 23. So despite the cold shooting guess what else did not happen for the USA, no points off fast breaks. Every thing had to come from the half court set and France just ground us down. To be fair we did not have Griner and smacked France back down a few days later. But.....why take a chance right?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Like it, but I would drop Angel, wait on Sloot/Diggins/Sims till we see how they are in training camp next spring and look at Catch/Augustus in spring as well. I think Angel - if everyone is healthy is odd person out - Catch is as good a defender and a better teammate, Augustus is a better offensive player, and young guards are needed.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score

If USA wants new blood, then Catchings, Bird, and DT shouldn't be on the team. None will be playing in 2020, so if it's Catch's time to go, is their time to go too.

Reaction Score
Courtney Vandersloot
Seimone Augustus
Sue Bird*
Maya Moore*
Angel McCoughtry
Candice Dupree
Elena Delle Donne
Candace Parker*
Breanna Stewart
Diana Taurasi*
Brittney Griner*
Tina Charles
Where is Catchings? I also believe if Team USA wants extra size Big Syl has a spot. I also believe they take a Sims over Vandersloot because she's more athletic and a better defender. Add these 3 to this group and give the last spot to either Angel, Seimone, Dupree or Vandersloot depending on where they think they could use extra depth. DT could play point, but I think they might consider extra depth there over the other spots. Remember Elena, Breanna, & Brittany did not play 4 years ago so someone has to lose her spot. They may believe that Tina and Brittany are enough bigs, and want another athletic wing like Angel or Seimone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom